Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Commentary 15:03 - Aug 6 with 5167 viewsGrammarman

I appreciate that it is early doors, but this iPlayer commentary is very poor.
Commentary on 16:26 - Aug 6 with 1322 viewsPlums

They need to commentate for audio with the recognition that there are people watching. It’s really very low quality for a paid for service.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Commentary on 16:30 - Aug 6 with 1288 viewsjeera

Commentary on 16:25 - Aug 6 by GeoffSentence

Th trouble with Brenner's enthusiasm, is that he sometimes gets a little too enthusiastic about ur oppostition.

That might be because we have been utter sh1te since he started commentating I suppose.

I just had my eyes off the screen but I have radio on low in the background and could hear him going crazy.

I knew someone had scored but the TV is someway behind the radio.

It was them of course.

Still the far better for audio though. I don't mind this chap when I can already see for myself what's going on.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Commentary on 16:55 - Aug 6 with 1263 viewsDJR

Commentary on 16:13 - Aug 6 by DublinBlue84

I don't think the ifollow platform allows for different commentary feeds for both, it might be an option next year when it's taken in house.

I'm not sure that's the case. From what I can recall, Forest TV last season had Radio Nottingham for the audio-only coverage. We appear to have followed the Bristol City model.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 16:56]
Commentary on 16:56 - Aug 6 with 1261 viewsDublinBlue84

Commentary on 16:55 - Aug 6 by DJR

I'm not sure that's the case. From what I can recall, Forest TV last season had Radio Nottingham for the audio-only coverage. We appear to have followed the Bristol City model.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 16:56]

Forest TV is not iFollow. The clue is in the name.

ITFC are contracted to ifollow for another season and then will launch TownTV in 23-24.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 16:58]

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Commentary on 16:59 - Aug 6 with 1243 viewsDJR

Commentary on 16:56 - Aug 6 by DublinBlue84

Forest TV is not iFollow. The clue is in the name.

ITFC are contracted to ifollow for another season and then will launch TownTV in 23-24.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 16:58]

Well let's hope we go down that model next season, rather than follow the Bristol City model, but I don't get the impression we will.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 17:01]
Commentary on 17:05 - Aug 6 with 1194 viewsRyorry

Commentary on 16:59 - Aug 6 by DJR

Well let's hope we go down that model next season, rather than follow the Bristol City model, but I don't get the impression we will.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 17:01]

And a complete cut -off just 5 secs after f-t whistle. Not even a 'bye, see you on Tues' or whatever. Awful, unprofessional, & we're paying same price as for last season's RS professionalism :(

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Commentary on 17:28 - Aug 6 with 1153 viewsDublinBlue84

Commentary on 17:05 - Aug 6 by Ryorry

And a complete cut -off just 5 secs after f-t whistle. Not even a 'bye, see you on Tues' or whatever. Awful, unprofessional, & we're paying same price as for last season's RS professionalism :(

At half time on the video feed on iFollow there are ads. There used to be at full time as well last season but I didn't see them then, so probably why they are not going to talk much after the half time and final whistle, but agree they could have done more than they did to round it off.

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Commentary on 17:51 - Aug 6 with 1100 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Not great, although I find Brenner very Partridge so I'm not too bothered by the change. Hopefully this chap improves or I suppose we will part company sooner rather than later.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Login to get fewer ads

Commentary on 18:22 - Aug 6 with 1058 viewsnoggin

I had the FG commentary on and it was great. I've never heard anyone so complimentary about us. I was almost embarrassed.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 18:26]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Commentary on 18:32 - Aug 6 with 1036 viewsMark

I think the club need to listen to fans and bring back BBC Radio Suffolk commentary. It can't cost that much and it is good to support the local radio.
Commentary on 19:18 - Aug 6 with 985 viewsblueislander

Commentary on 18:32 - Aug 6 by Mark

I think the club need to listen to fans and bring back BBC Radio Suffolk commentary. It can't cost that much and it is good to support the local radio.

Ah, but you won’t get the Planet Blue adverts, which apparently is the most important factor in making the change.
Commentary on 19:54 - Aug 6 with 953 viewsBonchosBicycle

Have complained all over about this. Not having Brenner and Mick makes me feel disconnected. There's no longer the shared experience of us all hearing the same commentary - for good or bad. And to add to the injuury, the Radio Suffolk post match day show still seems to be blocked on the internet. Last season, Ifollow would drop and I'd hop straight on to RS on BBC Sounds for interviews, disussion etc. Now I just get the annoying - If you're looking for a sports commentary..." message. I'm not. I'm looking for a discussion show after the game.
Commentary on 20:01 - Aug 6 with 945 viewsaeldun

Commentary on 19:54 - Aug 6 by BonchosBicycle

Have complained all over about this. Not having Brenner and Mick makes me feel disconnected. There's no longer the shared experience of us all hearing the same commentary - for good or bad. And to add to the injuury, the Radio Suffolk post match day show still seems to be blocked on the internet. Last season, Ifollow would drop and I'd hop straight on to RS on BBC Sounds for interviews, disussion etc. Now I just get the annoying - If you're looking for a sports commentary..." message. I'm not. I'm looking for a discussion show after the game.

I believe RS post-match hour is blocked due to the Commonwealth Games coverage, and normal service to resume once the Games conclude. That’s my understanding of the situation, and the same applies to Life’s a Pitch beforehand.
Commentary on 20:06 - Aug 6 with 936 viewsDJR

Commentary on 19:18 - Aug 6 by blueislander

Ah, but you won’t get the Planet Blue adverts, which apparently is the most important factor in making the change.

I won't be buying anything from Planet Blue until they bring Radio Suffolk back.
Commentary on 20:12 - Aug 6 with 923 viewsDubtractor

I thought the chap on I Follow was fine - seems I'm in a minority though!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Commentary on 20:14 - Aug 6 with 920 viewsDJR

Commentary on 20:01 - Aug 6 by aeldun

I believe RS post-match hour is blocked due to the Commonwealth Games coverage, and normal service to resume once the Games conclude. That’s my understanding of the situation, and the same applies to Life’s a Pitch beforehand.

I listened to Life's a Pitch on BBC Sounds before the game today, and to Final Whistle on BBC Sounds last week. I didn't get a chance to listen to Final Whistle today, but I note it is available on catch up today on Sounds. I'm using the Sounds app and am based in the UK. Sadly, I had to endure the in-house auditory commentary for today's game. There were two problems. First, the commentary gave no real indication of what was going on and seemed totally remote from the game. Secondly, there was no insight or analysis from the co-commentator.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 20:16]
Commentary on 20:20 - Aug 6 with 902 viewsDJR

Commentary on 20:12 - Aug 6 by Dubtractor

I thought the chap on I Follow was fine - seems I'm in a minority though!

As a TV commentator I'm sure he was fine, but it didn't really work for the audio commentary I listened to. He wasn't helped by a co-commentator who offered no more insight than I would have done. Again that wouldn't have been an issue had I been watching the game, but the analysis of someone like Mills or Mathie helps those who are listening rather than watching.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 20:21]
Commentary on 20:28 - Aug 6 with 885 viewsblueislander

Commentary on 20:20 - Aug 6 by DJR

As a TV commentator I'm sure he was fine, but it didn't really work for the audio commentary I listened to. He wasn't helped by a co-commentator who offered no more insight than I would have done. Again that wouldn't have been an issue had I been watching the game, but the analysis of someone like Mills or Mathie helps those who are listening rather than watching.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 20:21]

It was better than last week, so they obviously did have a word with him, but he is still a very long way from being an acceptable radio commentator.

I have again e mailed the club to express my disappointment.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 20:41]
Commentary on 20:59 - Aug 6 with 852 viewsSkip_Intro

Commentary on 20:06 - Aug 6 by DJR

I won't be buying anything from Planet Blue until they bring Radio Suffolk back.

that'll learn 'em...
Commentary on 21:07 - Aug 6 with 833 viewsjeera

Commentary on 20:06 - Aug 6 by DJR

Me neither.

Mind you I don't anyway but if I did I would stop immediately.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Commentary on 22:51 - Aug 6 with 793 viewscoolcat

Commentary on 19:54 - Aug 6 by BonchosBicycle

Same here. Glad I wasn't alone in my views about it. Although I didn't always agree with Brenner/ Mills they engaged listeners from start to finish. They inspire discussions amongst fans and draw people into the game especially listeners who can't attend the game. It is an important community asset that is being overlooked. Today was better than last week but still a long way off.

I did manage to get Final Whistle after the match online. They were talking to a Barry Kent and Brenner doing the pm interviews. Took me ages to find it. Kept getting last weeks! Always takes some finding.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 22:53]
Commentary on 22:53 - Aug 6 with 790 viewsBonchosBicycle

Commentary on 20:01 - Aug 6 by aeldun

I was hoping this was the case as it happened last year during the Olympics.

Beyond what I previously said, the current commentator is fine for TV, still not there for audio only. Having a current player in as colour is interesting but, as mentioned elsewhere, is hardly going to give much critical insight.
Commentary on 03:07 - Aug 7 with 700 viewsX0Y0

Commentary on 22:53 - Aug 6 by BonchosBicycle

I was hoping this was the case as it happened last year during the Olympics.

Beyond what I previously said, the current commentator is fine for TV, still not there for audio only. Having a current player in as colour is interesting but, as mentioned elsewhere, is hardly going to give much critical insight.

They are not fine for TV, they are still well below the expected standard. They offer no insights on tactics, formations, indivdual duels etc, nor do I expect them to offer criticism of town players / set up when appropriate.

Radio Suffolk have c.20(?) years of experience, are broadly impartial and are very effective at getting across their personal views on what is going well or not, how the opposition has set up, and how substitutions have impacted the game. The closest these guys got to insight were 'the next goal is important' and 'Forest Green will want to keep the ball in play as much as possible'.

You may say video feed doesn't need the same style of commentary as audio, which to some extent is true, but I still want insights. Tell me how FGR set up for their last game, what is their style of play, who are their danger men etc. Don't spend ages waffling on about the colour of their kit, or how picturesque the ground is. They may as well have picked a fan at random to do the commentary.
Commentary on 07:03 - Aug 7 with 644 viewsDJR

Commentary on 20:59 - Aug 6 by Skip_Intro

that'll learn 'em...

Oh yes. They'll miss future purchases like the £5 water bottle I bought last season, my only purchase in recent years.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2022 7:06]
Commentary on 10:35 - Aug 7 with 567 viewsDJR

Commentary on 03:07 - Aug 7 by X0Y0

They are not fine for TV, they are still well below the expected standard. They offer no insights on tactics, formations, indivdual duels etc, nor do I expect them to offer criticism of town players / set up when appropriate.

Radio Suffolk have c.20(?) years of experience, are broadly impartial and are very effective at getting across their personal views on what is going well or not, how the opposition has set up, and how substitutions have impacted the game. The closest these guys got to insight were 'the next goal is important' and 'Forest Green will want to keep the ball in play as much as possible'.

You may say video feed doesn't need the same style of commentary as audio, which to some extent is true, but I still want insights. Tell me how FGR set up for their last game, what is their style of play, who are their danger men etc. Don't spend ages waffling on about the colour of their kit, or how picturesque the ground is. They may as well have picked a fan at random to do the commentary.

The impression I got from listening yesterday is that they are doing it on the cheap. A 22 year old reserve goalkeeper is unlikely to have much insight anyway, and it looks like the commentator is not employed or able to give any insight either. Of course their argument may be that this season is being used as an experiment, and it will all come good when Town TV kicks in, but in the meantime I feel like a guinea pig and don't feel I got value for money yesterday for my £2.50, something I never felt with Radio Suffolk. I might add that I feel an emotional attachment to the RS commentary, not least because of the presence of people like Mick Mills, and it is perhaps ironic that they are putting up pictures of him on the stadium but at the same time denying fans outside Suffolk the chance to listen to him.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2022 10:45]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024