Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Statistical comparison with last season 15:08 - Aug 6 with 39498 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If we take each match as a comparison replacing the promoted and relegated teams with those directly replacing them ...

After 1 match we are +1 point, +3 GD and -1 GF.

Today's match Forest Green replace Gillingham who we beat 0-4 away so we that is our "par" score.

Of course, we won't improve/match every result all season but overall we need to be up something like 20 points by the end of the season.

I will try to keep tabs on this after each match.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Statistical comparison with last season on 16:29 - Aug 6 with 16114 viewsJ2BLUE

Scores are irrelevant. Stick to points or it just gives the negative people ammo.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Statistical comparison with last season on 16:31 - Aug 6 with 16115 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Statistical comparison with last season on 16:29 - Aug 6 by J2BLUE

Scores are irrelevant. Stick to points or it just gives the negative people ammo.

Points is the biggest thing and will be the first part of it. Goal difference is potentially important and will be better if we are getting more points.

Statistical comparison with last season on 17:13 - Aug 6 with 16010 viewsNthsuffolkblue

After 2 matches, +1 pt, GD level and -3 GF. Picking up an extra point despite scoring fewer goals.

Next up MK Dons at home with 2-2 the par score.

Although the cup match is an interesting comparison too as we played the same opposition at the same stage last season.

Statistical comparison with last season on 16:39 - Aug 7 with 15796 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Statistical comparison with last season on 17:13 - Aug 6 by Nthsuffolkblue

After 2 matches, +1 pt, GD level and -3 GF. Picking up an extra point despite scoring fewer goals.

Although the cup match is an interesting comparison too as we played the same opposition at the same stage last season.

Obviously early days, but 1/23rd of the way through the season we are 1 pt up on the same games last season. 23 pt gain should be enough for the top two.

COYB!

Statistical comparison with last season on 23:00 - Aug 7 with 15627 viewsKropotkin123

Statistical comparison with last season on 16:39 - Aug 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

Obviously early days, but 1/23rd of the way through the season we are 1 pt up on the same games last season. 23 pt gain should be enough for the top two.

COYB!

Ignoring the Covid season, across the past 10 seasons, 2pts per game put us 1st four times, 2nd three times, and 3rd three times. So 70% of the time it should be good enough.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Statistical comparison with last season on 07:59 - Aug 8 with 15360 viewsElephantintheRoom

Or to look at it another way Town are currently ‘in touch with the play offs’ their default position in recent decades.

McKenna was too defensive last season and worshipped ‘clean sheets’ - seemingly unaware that you need to outscore the opposition to win

Having inherited and/or constructed a pretty impressive defence from what he already had, his efforts in the close season indicate an effort to score more goals and gain more points - including using the left side of the pitch

So far so good I’d say. With the caveat that it’s better to be top in May than in August.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Statistical comparison with last season on 08:16 - Aug 8 with 15394 viewsDarth_Koont

Statistical comparison with last season on 07:59 - Aug 8 by ElephantintheRoom

Or to look at it another way Town are currently ‘in touch with the play offs’ their default position in recent decades.

McKenna was too defensive last season and worshipped ‘clean sheets’ - seemingly unaware that you need to outscore the opposition to win

Having inherited and/or constructed a pretty impressive defence from what he already had, his efforts in the close season indicate an effort to score more goals and gain more points - including using the left side of the pitch

So far so good I’d say. With the caveat that it’s better to be top in May than in August.

"McKenna was too defensive last season and worshipped ‘clean sheets’ - seemingly unaware that you need to outscore the opposition to win."'

I don't think that's fair. We were always looking to play on the front foot last season. But for a variety of reasons (attacking personnel, weakness down the left, lack of confidence/momentum) we just weren't effective enough in the attacking third. At least, not often enough.

Anyway, overall, I think building a strong, hard-working side defensively is much more about pressuring and picking off the opposition than settling for a point. Certainly for an upwardly mobile side and manager that wants and needs 2 points a game.

Pronouns: He/Him

Statistical comparison with last season on 22:35 - Aug 13 with 15137 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Statistical comparison with last season on 17:13 - Aug 6 by Nthsuffolkblue

3 matches, +3 pts, GD +3, GF -2.

Obviously top of the league tells its own story but these stats back that up nicely too.

Par score for Tuesday night 1-2 loss.

Would be great to see 3 wins on the trot.

Login to get fewer ads

Statistical comparison with last season on 21:59 - Aug 16 with 14746 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Statistical comparison with last season on 22:35 - Aug 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

3 matches, +3 pts, GD +3, GF -2.

Obviously top of the league tells its own story but these stats back that up nicely too.

Par score for Tuesday night 1-2 loss.

Would be great to see 3 wins on the trot.

4 matches, +6 pts, GD +5, GF -2.

We are top of the league! We have won 3 on the trot! COYB!

Par score for Saturday: 1-1.

Statistical comparison with last season on 22:11 - Aug 16 with 14590 viewsbluestandard

Statistical comparison with last season on 21:59 - Aug 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

This exercise you’re doing is right up my street by the way so please keep it going!

Ti be a bit nitpicky though, wouldn’t it make more sense to compare the games against promoted teams with the games against promoted teams last year? Forest Green game would be compared with Cheltenham away last year, which we lost, leaving us on +9 this season so far 😄😄
Statistical comparison with last season on 22:15 - Aug 16 with 14528 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Statistical comparison with last season on 22:11 - Aug 16 by bluestandard

This exercise you’re doing is right up my street by the way so please keep it going!

Ti be a bit nitpicky though, wouldn’t it make more sense to compare the games against promoted teams with the games against promoted teams last year? Forest Green game would be compared with Cheltenham away last year, which we lost, leaving us on +9 this season so far 😄😄

They were compared with Gillingham who were relegated from 21st place (FGR being champions from League 2). Cheltenham are still in this league! We play them in November and April.

Statistical comparison with last season on 22:21 - Aug 16 with 14473 viewsbluestandard

Statistical comparison with last season on 22:15 - Aug 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

They were compared with Gillingham who were relegated from 21st place (FGR being champions from League 2). Cheltenham are still in this league! We play them in November and April.

Exactly, and when we play Cheltenham, we compare our results against them with the matches against the team they replaced in the league ie Gillingham.
Statistical comparison with last season on 22:24 - Aug 16 with 14416 viewsGavTWTD

This is quite pleasing.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/statistics/league-position/

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Statistical comparison with last season on 22:25 - Aug 16 with 14385 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Statistical comparison with last season on 22:21 - Aug 16 by bluestandard

Exactly, and when we play Cheltenham, we compare our results against them with the matches against the team they replaced in the league ie Gillingham.

I cannot follow your reasoning at all.

FGR replaced Gillingham in the league.

When we play Cheltenham, our result will be compared against when we played Cheltenham. How does FGR represent Cheltenham better than Cheltenham does?

Statistical comparison with last season on 22:33 - Aug 16 with 14327 viewsbluestandard

Statistical comparison with last season on 22:25 - Aug 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

I cannot follow your reasoning at all.

FGR replaced Gillingham in the league.

When we play Cheltenham, our result will be compared against when we played Cheltenham. How does FGR represent Cheltenham better than Cheltenham does?

I guess it’s different perspectives. It’s been well documented that we only achieved 4 points against promoted sides last year which cost us dearly. I just thought it would be good if the analysis looked at that aspect when seeing how much better off we are points wise than last year. Can I downvote my own posts? 😂
Statistical comparison with last season on 22:38 - Aug 16 with 14270 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Statistical comparison with last season on 22:33 - Aug 16 by bluestandard

I guess it’s different perspectives. It’s been well documented that we only achieved 4 points against promoted sides last year which cost us dearly. I just thought it would be good if the analysis looked at that aspect when seeing how much better off we are points wise than last year. Can I downvote my own posts? 😂

Ah, so you are saying they were the previously promoted sides. A bit too complicated for me but I do (at last) get what you are saying!

Statistical comparison with last season on 22:43 - Aug 16 with 14234 viewsbluestandard

Statistical comparison with last season on 22:38 - Aug 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

Ah, so you are saying they were the previously promoted sides. A bit too complicated for me but I do (at last) get what you are saying!

Haha no worries, I shall keep an eye out for the +- updates with interest!
Statistical comparison with last season on 23:03 - Aug 16 with 14121 viewsberkstractorboy

Statistical comparison with last season on 22:15 - Aug 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think the comparison with Cheltenham is better than Gillingham

- Cheltenham had just been promoted as is the case for FGR this season.
- Both games way
- Both games very early in the season so teams (home and away) still finding way into the new season.

You can't compare to Gillingham which was 2nd half of the season and we were a very different outfit by that point.
Statistical comparison with last season on 15:31 - Aug 20 with 13762 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Statistical comparison with last season on 23:03 - Aug 16 by berkstractorboy

I think the comparison with Cheltenham is better than Gillingham

- Cheltenham had just been promoted as is the case for FGR this season.
- Both games way
- Both games very early in the season so teams (home and away) still finding way into the new season.

You can't compare to Gillingham which was 2nd half of the season and we were a very different outfit by that point.

I do get the point (now) but it would make the exercise much more complex.

Of course there will be many variables that make any comparison flawed. Ultimately the most important stat is the one Gav shared - our actual league position and points. I will carry on with the comparison with the same opposition as I have been (as flawed as it is).

Statistical comparison with last season on 17:06 - Aug 20 with 13580 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Statistical comparison with last season on 21:59 - Aug 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

Hardly seems worth posting as the most important stats are we are top, unbeaten and have only dropped 2 points. 4 wins on the trot. Lovely feeling that we haven't had for a long time - even when we were top under Lambert it didn't feel like this momentum. Goals shared around helps too.

Anyway:

5 matches, +8 pts, GD +8, GF level (we have scored the same number of goals as we did against the equivalent teams last season!)

Par score for next week: 1-1 as Barnsley replace Sunderland.

Statistical comparison with last season on 17:36 - Aug 20 with 13376 viewsbluestandard

Statistical comparison with last season on 17:06 - Aug 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

Hardly seems worth posting as the most important stats are we are top, unbeaten and have only dropped 2 points. 4 wins on the trot. Lovely feeling that we haven't had for a long time - even when we were top under Lambert it didn't feel like this momentum. Goals shared around helps too.

Anyway:

5 matches, +8 pts, GD +8, GF level (we have scored the same number of goals as we did against the equivalent teams last season!)

Superb. +8 after 5 games speaks for itself really. Get in!

I remember us having our good start under Lambert a few seasons ago and we were top, and a mate of mine said ‘you must be chuffed’. I remember saying that it might look good on paper, but really we’d scraped past some mediocre teams and would get found out soon enough. That is NOT the situation we’ve got here. We will wobble at some point, but there is real substance in this team. Well done boys, great win!!!
Statistical comparison with last season on 17:11 - Aug 27 with 12853 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Statistical comparison with last season on 17:06 - Aug 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

Anyway:

6 matches in and now:

+8 pts, GD +8, GF +1, Everything is very positive compared to last season.

Par score for next week: 1-2 defeat.

Statistical comparison with last season on 17:55 - Aug 27 with 12726 viewsZXBlue

Statistical comparison with last season on 08:16 - Aug 8 by Darth_Koont

"McKenna was too defensive last season and worshipped ‘clean sheets’ - seemingly unaware that you need to outscore the opposition to win."'

I don't think that's fair. We were always looking to play on the front foot last season. But for a variety of reasons (attacking personnel, weakness down the left, lack of confidence/momentum) we just weren't effective enough in the attacking third. At least, not often enough.

Anyway, overall, I think building a strong, hard-working side defensively is much more about pressuring and picking off the opposition than settling for a point. Certainly for an upwardly mobile side and manager that wants and needs 2 points a game.

Dont feed the tedious troll.
Statistical comparison with last season on 17:12 - Sep 3 with 12457 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Statistical comparison with last season on 17:11 - Aug 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

6 matches in and now:

+8 pts, GD +8, GF +1, Everything is very positive compared to last season.

Par score for next week: 1-2 defeat.

7 matches:

+11 pts, GD +11, GF +2.

Oh, and WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!

Par score for next week 0-1 defeat.

Statistical comparison with last season on 19:08 - Sep 13 with 12180 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Statistical comparison with last season on 17:12 - Sep 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

7 matches:

+11 pts, GD +11, GF +2.

Oh, and WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!

Par score for next week 0-1 defeat.

Par score for tonight 2-2 draw as Bristol Rovers replace AFC Wimbledon.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024