Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The commentary situation 20:29 - Aug 6 with 2897 viewsIllinoisblue

What I don’t get is that Ashton said they moved away from the Radio Suffolk coverage so they could promote planet blue and tickets on commentary. I only heard two such self-promo ads today, one around 30 mins in the first half where the commentator smoothly mentioned how many fans were wearing the new shirt and hey you should check out ITFC shop.com if you’d like one too. And there was a moment in the second half where they mentioned about buying tickets online. Obviously they can’t do that stuff on BBC radio but is there even any need to do it on in-house coverage? What Town fan in the world doesn’t know how or where to buy a shirt or ticket?

(And i get the wider picture of this leading up to the transition to Town TV, but still)

As for the comms itself, not a lot of insight. “The next goal is important” and “FGR will want the ball in play as much as possible” were two stunners from the second half.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The commentary situation on 20:54 - Aug 6 with 2794 viewsDJR

My grandma would have offered better insight than the co-commentator! What I think is great about RS is you often get an analysis of what's going wrong but they're unlikely to do that if it's in-house. For example, they're not going to say "Evans is having a shocker".
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 20:55]
The commentary situation on 21:18 - Aug 6 with 2724 viewsjeera

Or simply slot some of that stuff into the half time break but preferably amongst some chat about the first half rather than some stony cold silence.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The commentary situation on 21:24 - Aug 6 with 2689 viewsMark

The commentary situation on 20:54 - Aug 6 by DJR

My grandma would have offered better insight than the co-commentator! What I think is great about RS is you often get an analysis of what's going wrong but they're unlikely to do that if it's in-house. For example, they're not going to say "Evans is having a shocker".

Spot on. IFollow is not cheap and we deserve proper, independent commentary.
The commentary situation on 21:27 - Aug 6 with 2672 viewsjeera

Tbf that co-commentator is one of our goalies.

Although that's not to dismiss out of hand the job your grandma could do.

Maybe get her an audition.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The commentary situation on 21:30 - Aug 6 with 2661 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

I think you make a fair point, although I guess these are just baby steps the club are taking to grow the brand. They're just building things for the future, trying to create a template for how things will be done as we climb the pyramid.

My concern is that things don't get too out of hand. So many crypto sponsors getting involved in the game now and I wouldn't be surprised if we follow suit at some point, much as I dislike the trend.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

The commentary situation on 21:33 - Aug 6 with 2645 viewsIllinoisblue

The commentary situation on 21:18 - Aug 6 by jeera

Or simply slot some of that stuff into the half time break but preferably amongst some chat about the first half rather than some stony cold silence.

The 15 minutes half time of nothing but muffled crowd noise and dead air was quite something. Even a few pre-recorded promo bots to fill a few minutes would help.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The commentary situation on 21:45 - Aug 6 with 2614 viewsDJR

The commentary situation on 21:33 - Aug 6 by Illinoisblue

The 15 minutes half time of nothing but muffled crowd noise and dead air was quite something. Even a few pre-recorded promo bots to fill a few minutes would help.

Yes, I thought that was shocking. I was on the train at the time, and kept thinking my 4G was down, but switching to the home commentary showed that that was not the case. In their desperation to take things in-house, and trumpet two cameras, they clearly haven't given a thought to those listening on audio which is very strange given the professionalism of the rest of the club.
The commentary situation on 21:50 - Aug 6 with 2590 viewscoolcat

The commentary situation on 21:18 - Aug 6 by jeera

I agree, that's the time when analysis of the 1st half could take place & engage the listeners. I thought ifollow had a glitch again. I didn't always agree with Brenner /Mills or Barry Kent (who was on final whistle today), but they engage you from start to finish. They inspire discussions & get people drawn into the game, especially those who can attend. It is an important community asset which is being overlooked.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 21:52]
Login to get fewer ads

The commentary situation on 23:25 - Aug 6 with 2479 viewsSitfcB

He’s on Twit

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The commentary situation on 01:01 - Aug 7 with 2385 viewsForrestsFingers

I’ve been on holiday for the 1st two games so have been able to watch the games and the new commentary’s have been awful. 1st week it was blended in with the away radio commentary, this week…..just woeful. Lack of insight, understanding of what is actually happening on the pitch. I used to man about Radio Suffolk and Mick Mills’ dull summaries but I’d take them back in a heartbeat at the moment. At least they’d call the game sown the middle. It was cringeworthy hearing “Must be the biggest game of Forest Green’s history” about 5 times inside the first 15 minutes. They played Derby, then of the Championship in 2009 in an FA Cup 3rd Round match.

The guy is new, it will take time, but it needs to improve soon or I’ll be listening to the opposition commentary instead

Blog: Thoughts On the Squad So Far and the Best Formation

The commentary situation on 15:25 - Aug 7 with 2095 viewsDJR

The commentary situation on 21:30 - Aug 6 by SlippinJimmyJuan

I think you make a fair point, although I guess these are just baby steps the club are taking to grow the brand. They're just building things for the future, trying to create a template for how things will be done as we climb the pyramid.

My concern is that things don't get too out of hand. So many crypto sponsors getting involved in the game now and I wouldn't be surprised if we follow suit at some point, much as I dislike the trend.

I can't see a pension fund (with its responsibility for financial propriety) taking us down the crypto route, but maybe we'll eventually be in for 15 minutes of erectile disfunction adverts at half time.
The commentary situation on 15:58 - Aug 7 with 2009 viewsbelgablue

The commentary situation on 23:25 - Aug 6 by SitfcB

He’s on Twit

Does John Motson still live in Suffolk?

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

The commentary situation on 16:11 - Aug 7 with 1994 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

The commentary situation on 15:25 - Aug 7 by DJR

I can't see a pension fund (with its responsibility for financial propriety) taking us down the crypto route, but maybe we'll eventually be in for 15 minutes of erectile disfunction adverts at half time.

I hope you're right, although Mark Steed did mention that the players had come to him for financial, and more specifically crypto advice. More tongue in cheek than anything I think but sadly it seems to have taken over sport, particularly football and F1.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

The commentary situation on 17:26 - Aug 7 with 1929 viewsDJR

The commentary situation on 16:11 - Aug 7 by SlippinJimmyJuan

I hope you're right, although Mark Steed did mention that the players had come to him for financial, and more specifically crypto advice. More tongue in cheek than anything I think but sadly it seems to have taken over sport, particularly football and F1.

I hope so too, and it would be nice to think we weren't going down the betting advertising route, but the new digital advertising boards last week, with Sky Bet featured prominently, suggests we will.
The commentary situation on 00:39 - Aug 8 with 1805 viewsAdelaideblue

The commentary situation on 17:26 - Aug 7 by DJR

I hope so too, and it would be nice to think we weren't going down the betting advertising route, but the new digital advertising boards last week, with Sky Bet featured prominently, suggests we will.

As a life long fan, and former season ticket holder now living in South Australia I watch as many games as I can on iplayer...and the new commentary is terrible...the reserve goalie "insights" were ridiculous...

Yes radio Suffolk were always negative, and that frustrated me too, but I would have then back in a heartbeat!!
The commentary situation on 09:20 - Aug 8 with 1583 viewssolemio

TBF your grandma is well known for her football expertise and technical knowledge.
The commentary situation on 09:28 - Aug 8 with 1562 viewsCityBlue

I always select the other team's commentary as I like to hear what other clubs think of the town

I T I D

The commentary situation on 09:35 - Aug 8 with 1538 viewsurbanblue

The commentary situation on 01:01 - Aug 7 by ForrestsFingers

I’ve been on holiday for the 1st two games so have been able to watch the games and the new commentary’s have been awful. 1st week it was blended in with the away radio commentary, this week…..just woeful. Lack of insight, understanding of what is actually happening on the pitch. I used to man about Radio Suffolk and Mick Mills’ dull summaries but I’d take them back in a heartbeat at the moment. At least they’d call the game sown the middle. It was cringeworthy hearing “Must be the biggest game of Forest Green’s history” about 5 times inside the first 15 minutes. They played Derby, then of the Championship in 2009 in an FA Cup 3rd Round match.

The guy is new, it will take time, but it needs to improve soon or I’ll be listening to the opposition commentary instead

I think I've already made the decision that it's the opposition commentary for me moving forward.

That was terrible on Saturday and I was able to watch ...
The commentary situation on 09:36 - Aug 8 with 1530 viewsurbanblue

The commentary situation on 21:27 - Aug 6 by jeera

Apparently his grandma is helluva keeper too ...
The commentary situation on 09:54 - Aug 8 with 1451 viewsLankHenners

I'd have thought it would be pretty easy to work out that TV and radio commentary require different levels of description and if you've got the same feed for both then you have to commentate as if you're on the radio otherwise you leave the listeners in the dark.

Radio commentary on top of visuals of course sounds a bit odd as it's over descriptive and obviously will be slightly behind the play as you can't describe something quicker than the ball moves but, in our case, Brenner and Mick (plus Graeme Mac at HT and FT) did a very good job of telling you what was happening, giving insight, prompting discussion etc. which is how it should be.

I can see why the club want to do things as they're doing because of advertising tickets, the store etc. and there'll be a lot of people using the audio feed as they can't get Radio Suffolk so they'd miss out on advertising to them but something has to change. I get it's tricky for the new guy as he probably is in the mindset that he's speaking for TV primarily and there are also some listeners, whereas Brenner knew he was primarily radio and there were also some watchers.

I get the novelty of having a current player doing co-comms but the benefit of having an ex-player is they're removed from the current situation to a degree so can say what they want without thinking they might disgruntle their teammates by saying the wrong thing. The good thing is it seems like the club are willing to engage properly with supporter feedback so hopefully it gets better soon.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The commentary situation on 12:35 - Aug 8 with 1294 viewsDJR

The commentary situation on 21:27 - Aug 6 by jeera

I'll have a word with her agent.
The commentary situation on 13:03 - Aug 8 with 1193 viewsurbanblue

The commentary situation on 09:54 - Aug 8 by LankHenners

I'd have thought it would be pretty easy to work out that TV and radio commentary require different levels of description and if you've got the same feed for both then you have to commentate as if you're on the radio otherwise you leave the listeners in the dark.

Radio commentary on top of visuals of course sounds a bit odd as it's over descriptive and obviously will be slightly behind the play as you can't describe something quicker than the ball moves but, in our case, Brenner and Mick (plus Graeme Mac at HT and FT) did a very good job of telling you what was happening, giving insight, prompting discussion etc. which is how it should be.

I can see why the club want to do things as they're doing because of advertising tickets, the store etc. and there'll be a lot of people using the audio feed as they can't get Radio Suffolk so they'd miss out on advertising to them but something has to change. I get it's tricky for the new guy as he probably is in the mindset that he's speaking for TV primarily and there are also some listeners, whereas Brenner knew he was primarily radio and there were also some watchers.

I get the novelty of having a current player doing co-comms but the benefit of having an ex-player is they're removed from the current situation to a degree so can say what they want without thinking they might disgruntle their teammates by saying the wrong thing. The good thing is it seems like the club are willing to engage properly with supporter feedback so hopefully it gets better soon.

I was just thinking, surely if the audio listeners on iFollow are there because they can't get Radio Suffolk it means they live out of the area. Therefore, they aren't potential clients of Planet Blue anyway ...

Sure, they could order online but it's a big change for a small demographic.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024