Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Morsy - absolute marmite 07:59 - Aug 7 with 7213 viewsWickwar_Blue

Hands up, I don’t see Town often (2/3 times a year) and (due to geography) I’m now a season ticket holder at Forest Green.

Yesterday was a very strange experience for me. Not sure I enjoyed it!

It was also the first time I recall seeing Sam Morsy play. Is he like that every week? Every tackle he left something on this opponent, niggly, horrible player. But then he pulls out a piece of sublime craft for his goal.

For those that are old enough he reminded me (not in terms of position, in terms of attitude) of the likes of Paul Dickov or David Speedie.

I’d imagine the majority of ITFC fans love him but away fans leave every game despising him? Is that fair?
Morsy - absolute marmite on 19:44 - Aug 7 with 1241 viewsjeera

The problem with the OP is the wording in its headline which suggests he is both equally popular and unpopular with his own fans, which of course is untrue.

Had you headed it 'Morsy is loved by Town fans who fully appreciate, alongside his goal-scoring capabilities, his tenacity on the pitch which makes life difficult for the opposition -- hence their fans aren't so keen as the Town fans -- and has ingrained in his game a trait to be a bit niggly which can upset the balance of an opposition's game', or something along those lines, people would have been more prepared for the rest of the post ahead, and also be better placed to respond fairly.

It also would have pushed most of the text off the page and been a nightmare for anyone viewing on a mobile device.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Morsy - absolute marmite on 21:57 - Aug 7 with 1144 viewsVic

Morsy - absolute marmite on 08:55 - Aug 7 by Wickwar_Blue

Yes, you are quite right. I’m no longer a Town fan. Hope life remains nice and straightforward for you and you never have to face a scenario where your loyalties are tested.

Blackburn Rovers fans despise Morsy - that took about 2 mins research.

I’m not saying he isn’t a good player. I think he performs a vital role just that he is pretty cynical at times.

Why downvote this - it’s true isn’t it!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Morsy - absolute marmite on 00:05 - Aug 8 with 1080 viewsKropotkin123

Morsy - absolute marmite on 13:39 - Aug 7 by Coastalblue

I think nuance is something that tends to get left behind on here quite often.

I think it's fairly obvious the point the OP was making, but many seem not to want to look beyond the first take.

I think the problem with the OP is that it lacks nuance. Instead opting for hyperbole such as "every tackle he left something on this opponent". Or "I’d imagine the majority of... away fans leave every game despising him"

The OP also asked if their assessment was fair. The answer is no, it is an exaggeration. Morsy was on the receiving end of more fouls than he committed (whoscored). Looking on the FGR forum* there isn't one mention of him as "horrible" or "niggly" player. They merely complement his goal.

The only Ipswich player they do complain about is Burgess. Saying he should have been sent off. They have a good case for this. Another referee would have sent him off.

* https://forum.fgr.co.uk/post/match-thread-from-the-bolt-new-lawn-stadium-ipswich

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Morsy - absolute marmite on 07:34 - Aug 8 with 1009 viewstextbackup

He’s a proper midfielder and captain.

I’d take 1 of him over 50 of our previous captain

He has quality on the ball and is a massive part of our team

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Morsy - absolute marmite on 07:51 - Aug 8 with 995 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Morsy - absolute marmite on 21:57 - Aug 7 by Vic

Why downvote this - it’s true isn’t it!

Can't speak for others but my reply on page 1 shows why I down voted it.

Lots of down vote police on this thread!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Morsy - absolute marmite on 07:54 - Aug 8 with 972 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Morsy - absolute marmite on 00:05 - Aug 8 by Kropotkin123

I think the problem with the OP is that it lacks nuance. Instead opting for hyperbole such as "every tackle he left something on this opponent". Or "I’d imagine the majority of... away fans leave every game despising him"

The OP also asked if their assessment was fair. The answer is no, it is an exaggeration. Morsy was on the receiving end of more fouls than he committed (whoscored). Looking on the FGR forum* there isn't one mention of him as "horrible" or "niggly" player. They merely complement his goal.

The only Ipswich player they do complain about is Burgess. Saying he should have been sent off. They have a good case for this. Another referee would have sent him off.

* https://forum.fgr.co.uk/post/match-thread-from-the-bolt-new-lawn-stadium-ipswich

The OP also says he was conflicted on which team to support and didn't enjoy a Town win, which probably helped attract those arrows. Given this and what you've said, I'm amazed there's so many defending it and/or telling us we can't read.

Morsy - absolute marmite on 07:57 - Aug 8 with 962 viewsBlueBoots

Morsy - absolute marmite on 07:34 - Aug 8 by textbackup

That's quite a statement considering we've only had 50 club captains since World War I...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Morsy - absolute marmite on 08:11 - Aug 8 with 935 viewsFunge

Morsy - absolute marmite on 07:54 - Aug 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

The OP also says he was conflicted on which team to support and didn't enjoy a Town win, which probably helped attract those arrows. Given this and what you've said, I'm amazed there's so many defending it and/or telling us we can't read.

It doesn't really matter does it Dolly.
Login to get fewer ads

Morsy - absolute marmite on 08:51 - Aug 8 with 889 viewsitfcjoe

I don't think he's the sort of player that winds up away fans, he's a tough player but not one who is in refs ear all game, cheating, theatrical etc.

Strikes me more as the sort of player oppositions fans wish was in their team rather than despise him come the end of the game.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Morsy - absolute marmite on 09:04 - Aug 8 with 848 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Morsy - absolute marmite on 08:11 - Aug 8 by Funge

Nothing really matters Fungers. I mean you could say that about every discussion on here! I'm only explaining my down arrow because someone asked.

Morsy - absolute marmite on 09:06 - Aug 8 with 827 viewsKeno

Morsy - absolute marmite on 08:11 - Aug 8 by Funge

Nothing really matters, Anyone can see,
Nothing really matters,
Nothing really matters Dolly
Any way the wind blows

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Morsy - absolute marmite on 09:15 - Aug 8 with 795 viewsDJR

Morsy - absolute marmite on 07:34 - Aug 8 by textbackup

Whatever his qualities, he's not really on a par with Mick Mills. The funny thing with Morsy is that he doesn't strike me as a natural footballer in the sense that he is a bit cumbersome on the ball. But he is incredibly effective, both in retaining possession and going past people. And his twists and turns make me think that he is a slightly inelegant version of Frans Thijjssen, which is a great compliment.
Morsy - absolute marmite on 09:19 - Aug 8 with 778 viewsBlueBlood90

I think you've got the wrong impression of him.

He can certainly battle but I wouldn't say nasty in any way. He's firm but fair and he's a brilliant footballer as his goal evidences. He's much more than just a plodder or a kicker.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Morsy - absolute marmite on 09:23 - Aug 8 with 774 viewsCityBlue

He does what a player does at this level - leave your mark. First tackle counts and intimidation in the middle sends the ball wide - where we love to poach.

I T I D

Morsy - absolute marmite on 10:13 - Aug 8 with 729 viewschicoazul

Morsy - absolute marmite on 17:44 - Aug 7 by Funge

Hello Chickers.

I like Morsy a lot; such failings as he had last year would seem to be suspensions, and not enough goals.

The suspensions come with the territory, I think, and let's not forget that he was out for 4 games because of that dickface at Accrington.

The goals - well, Ball will let him get forwards a bit more, and obviously yesterday's effort was a fully cast-iron banger.

I like him.

X

Hi bubalah
I like him too! He’s a very good player. But many people have a real blind spot about his discipline record last year to say nothing of the fact he was captain of a team that finished 11th in division 3. Hopefully McK has had a word and he can clean his act up this year.

I think the thing that really boils my piss is when people compare him favourably to Magic Holland and Lewgwinski, or even Garvan.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Morsy - absolute marmite on 10:17 - Aug 8 with 714 viewsMaySixth

Tackling is allowed.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Morsy - absolute marmite on 10:22 - Aug 8 with 704 viewsKeno

Morsy - absolute marmite on 10:13 - Aug 8 by chicoazul

Hi bubalah
I like him too! He’s a very good player. But many people have a real blind spot about his discipline record last year to say nothing of the fact he was captain of a team that finished 11th in division 3. Hopefully McK has had a word and he can clean his act up this year.

I think the thing that really boils my piss is when people compare him favourably to Magic Holland and Lewgwinski, or even Garvan.

He no Jonathon Douglas this is he

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Morsy - absolute marmite on 10:48 - Aug 8 with 668 viewsbluewein

Love seeing him getting into his own players more than anything. Was a moment where Harness lost the ball and didn't chase down. Morsy just ran up behind him and shoved him towards the ball and told him to get on with it. Also gave JD an earful for not making himself an option when he was needed. Both players definitely took note and made sure they didn't make the same mistake afterwards.

Essential League 1 captain material. Don't go up and we lose him. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see the bids coming in long before next summer...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Morsy - absolute marmite on 11:02 - Aug 8 with 624 viewsJ2BLUE

Morsy - absolute marmite on 07:51 - Aug 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

Can't speak for others but my reply on page 1 shows why I down voted it.

Lots of down vote police on this thread!

There's enough in the OP to explain the downvoting so i'm wondering if those asking if people can read can actually read.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Morsy - absolute marmite on 11:06 - Aug 8 with 613 viewsDyland

Our best and most important player. It amazes me he's even here in this league (fair play Cook and 3 Lions). He's not niggly, just plays hard and generally fair, like all good defensive midfielders. The fact he creates loads and can score to boot speaks volumes to his quality. Keep him fit and avoid too many suspensions and we'll be right up there.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Morsy - absolute marmite on 11:08 - Aug 8 with 592 viewsITFCson

Morsy - absolute marmite on 08:55 - Aug 7 by Wickwar_Blue

Yes, you are quite right. I’m no longer a Town fan. Hope life remains nice and straightforward for you and you never have to face a scenario where your loyalties are tested.

Blackburn Rovers fans despise Morsy - that took about 2 mins research.

I’m not saying he isn’t a good player. I think he performs a vital role just that he is pretty cynical at times.

Not sure why this is downvoted 3 times.

Fair play to you for admitting your loyalties changed due to circumstances. I respect that to many their loyalty to a footie team would never change whatever change in circumstances would change, but wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same.

GL to FGR this season if that is now your preferred team.
Morsy - absolute marmite on 11:13 - Aug 8 with 560 viewsBogblue

You say you're a ST holder at FGR but also a Town fan

That's why you think Morsy's Marmite, you're conflicted with split loyalties!
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 11:14]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024