Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA 14:50 - Aug 7 with 3377 viewsElderGrizzly

Saying Federal decision on legality for same-sex and interracial marriage should be returned to the states, as with Roe vs Wade

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 16:51 - Aug 7 with 1011 viewsJ2BLUE

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 16:47 - Aug 7 by jontysnut

The leadership challenge has shown a race to the bottom to see who is the most Conservative. Why not a return to " traditional family values". Didn't the Archbishop of Canterbury recently confirm some resolution that homosexuality is a sin?

Good point.

I've always thought the country (UK, or England if people insist) was more conservative than many believed but not to this extent. I assume the Archbishop of Canterbury and others were just the loon fringes of society.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 17:35 - Aug 7 with 966 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Apart from the fact you posted a clip where he didn’t say that at all.
Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 17:42 - Aug 7 with 955 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 15:00 - Aug 7 by ElderGrizzly

If it did, you would see 25+ states make interracial marriage illegal too.

It is an absurd country run by Christian fundamentalists

Apart from the president, house and senate?
Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 18:17 - Aug 7 with 928 viewsronnyd

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 16:51 - Aug 7 by J2BLUE

Good point.

I've always thought the country (UK, or England if people insist) was more conservative than many believed but not to this extent. I assume the Archbishop of Canterbury and others were just the loon fringes of society.

Probably done to try and keep the Anglican church onside in Africa, where many countries ban same sex marriages and homosexuality full stop.
Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 18:26 - Aug 7 with 923 viewsBlueBadger

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 17:35 - Aug 7 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

What is it you like best about the religious right? The open bigotry, the corruption, the hypocrisy, the attacks on civil liberties or the willingness to support criminals?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 18:33 - Aug 7 with 906 viewsGeoffSentence

You are definitely stretching the definition of 'advocating' there.

She asked him a question about it, he dismissed the question.

What he did do was say that he thinks the question of marriage should be decided at State level. The sort of localism that I would have expected a Liberal Democrat to support.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 18:48 - Aug 7 with 888 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 18:26 - Aug 7 by BlueBadger

What is it you like best about the religious right? The open bigotry, the corruption, the hypocrisy, the attacks on civil liberties or the willingness to support criminals?

Ok Badger seriously I’ve had enough of you doing you’re usual dance and coming at me with this crap. Piss off jumping on my posts saying I support the religious right. Quite frankly I don’t associate myself with an party in the current state of US politics, or English for that matter.

I’m pointing out he didn’t say that, just as others have on this thread. If there is going to be a forum that is going to constantly attack the media and accuracy maybe others should practice what they preach. If people read the constitution they’d know it hands a lot of power to the states in the republic.

Personally I think the 14th amendment which says states shouldn’t interfere with peoples rights and liberties should set the precedent over these social issues and I don’t like seeing America go backwards on this.

One think I will do though is pipe up when the usual suspects post an article and say the entire country where I live and have family is a failed state etc.

I’ve asked you to not interact with me, nothing good comes out of it, at least I don’t make up BS and call you names because our opinion differs.
Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 18:50 - Aug 7 with 883 viewsGlasgowBlue

Where is he advocating end of interracial marriage in USA?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 20:30 - Aug 7 with 826 viewsElderGrizzly

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 18:50 - Aug 7 by GlasgowBlue

Where is he advocating end of interracial marriage in USA?

Two interviews today, he was asked three times his view on federal protection of same sex and interracial marriage.

His answers were either to ignore it or to “return it to the states”. The latter he knows would outlaw it in at least 25 states, along similar lines to Roe vs Wade.

He knows what he was saying/doing without having to say the actual words.
Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 20:33 - Aug 7 with 820 viewsElderGrizzly

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 17:35 - Aug 7 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I’ve posted a clip where he set out his reasoning over same sex marriage and federal protection being overturned. And he wanted to return it to the states, which as you know would strip tens of millions of those rights.

The full interview he is asked more than once on interracial marriage. His answer (eventually) was the same.

He says he “trusts the Supreme Court to do the right thing”.
Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 20:35 - Aug 7 with 815 viewsElderGrizzly

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 18:33 - Aug 7 by GeoffSentence

What he did do was say that he thinks the question of marriage should be decided at State level. The sort of localism that I would have expected a Liberal Democrat to support.

Not when that ‘localism’ is what the GOP used to end Roe vs Wade.

As i’ve explained below/above the whole interview (and another today) are much more damning.

Returning it to the states is the GOP get out card. Yet they’ve stacked the Supreme Court to enable exactly that to happen. It’s why they supported Trump to the bitter end. He got them their power, far more than the President can ever have.
Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 20:39 - Aug 7 with 799 viewsElderGrizzly

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 18:48 - Aug 7 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Ok Badger seriously I’ve had enough of you doing you’re usual dance and coming at me with this crap. Piss off jumping on my posts saying I support the religious right. Quite frankly I don’t associate myself with an party in the current state of US politics, or English for that matter.

I’m pointing out he didn’t say that, just as others have on this thread. If there is going to be a forum that is going to constantly attack the media and accuracy maybe others should practice what they preach. If people read the constitution they’d know it hands a lot of power to the states in the republic.

Personally I think the 14th amendment which says states shouldn’t interfere with peoples rights and liberties should set the precedent over these social issues and I don’t like seeing America go backwards on this.

One think I will do though is pipe up when the usual suspects post an article and say the entire country where I live and have family is a failed state etc.

I’ve asked you to not interact with me, nothing good comes out of it, at least I don’t make up BS and call you names because our opinion differs.

I have over 30 family members in the USA, within those red states too. The threat of this happening is real and discussed openly at CPAC and other such events.

And the majority of my career is spent working in and with the US political system. I know exactly what they (GOP) are doing.

They don’t have to say the exact words to get what they want. It would be naive to think otherwise.

The US is on the way to be a failed state. 2024 will decide that one way or the other
Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 21:18 - Aug 7 with 764 viewsfactual_blue

Rebuilding the Confederacy, step-by-step.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 21:20 - Aug 7 with 763 viewseireblue

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 18:33 - Aug 7 by GeoffSentence

I don’t think Liberal Democrats see human rights issues as local to a geographical territory.
Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 21:21 - Aug 7 with 764 viewsfactual_blue

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 15:34 - Aug 7 by homer_123

Here in the UK, we've got people taking umbrage at footballers taking the knee.

Racism is alive and well in the UK. Over the pond it is utterly safe to say it is entirely entrenched, deep seated and not likely to change.

Reginald D Hunter points out the we in the UK really have no idea what racism really is.

Southern trees bear a strange fruit....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 23:05 - Aug 7 with 691 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 20:39 - Aug 7 by ElderGrizzly

I have over 30 family members in the USA, within those red states too. The threat of this happening is real and discussed openly at CPAC and other such events.

And the majority of my career is spent working in and with the US political system. I know exactly what they (GOP) are doing.

They don’t have to say the exact words to get what they want. It would be naive to think otherwise.

The US is on the way to be a failed state. 2024 will decide that one way or the other

Or put differently you just don’t like the way the most influential state and a global superpower is heading. You’ve already been called out by multiple people today on this very thread making things up. I feel sorry for you having to spend the vast majority of your career dealing with a ridiculous country that you hate run by fundamentalists.

I’m old enough to remember a recent two term African American president and a pretty progressive Democratic Party just getting 80M votes.

American sure has its problems at the moment but quite frankly they’ve always existed and were even relatively recently, way worse in many respects. Although the overturning Roe v Wade is obviously v.troublesome. Younger generations are taking over most metro areas in traditional red states (ironically because of crazy high taxes in places like CA and recent lockdown policies).

Although the electoral college favors the Republicans where this is happening (TX for example), generational attitudes are changing. Austin, Dallas, Houston, Nashville could go on and on here… things have shifted these people will have kids and spread out.

Much like Labour, if the Democrats got their own house in order, had some new Blood and resonated more with working class communities things would look better for them. Instead Biden has approval ratings of something like 35% and been rather disaster in many areas. They could expand the Court if they had greater control in the senate, not that I agree with the way Republicans packed the court in 2020.

Anyway calling it a failed state contextually is rather laughable IMO but I’m never going to agree with the you lot anyway, so that’s there is a little point going back and forth. The good news you’ll never have to live here.

I’m off for a Bud Light (that was a joke btw)
[Post edited 7 Aug 2022 23:20]
Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 23:38 - Aug 7 with 651 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 20:35 - Aug 7 by ElderGrizzly

Not when that ‘localism’ is what the GOP used to end Roe vs Wade.

As i’ve explained below/above the whole interview (and another today) are much more damning.

Returning it to the states is the GOP get out card. Yet they’ve stacked the Supreme Court to enable exactly that to happen. It’s why they supported Trump to the bitter end. He got them their power, far more than the President can ever have.

If you read the 10th amendment it is quite the get out card in many respects. That’s the problem with the constitution in general, can politicize it for whatever your view is on the matter (both sides do) and it by it’s nature, it’s conflicting. In this instance, with say with the 14th amendment.

The republic only really works I’d there is a set of shared federal values, there is not. Therefore it is very divided but it always has been.

It wasn’t long ago young Irish females had to travel to the UK, the same will now happen between Indiana and Illinois.
Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 03:13 - Aug 8 with 598 viewsyorkshire

The irony of Clarence Thomas (mixed race) and Lindsey Graham (Gay - allegedly) not advocating for protection of the sanctity of these types of marriage should not be lost on anyone - just like the Senator that voted against protecting Gay Marriage when his son is gay

America right now is in danger of allowing the Christian Fundamentalists to start making some pretty horrific decisions - a poor showing in November could give them the Supreme Court, House and maybe even Senate (although thanks to a couple of Trumps picks that is less likely) which will be horrible for minorities and the marginalized
Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 06:41 - Aug 8 with 556 viewssolomon

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 15:00 - Aug 7 by ElderGrizzly

If it did, you would see 25+ states make interracial marriage illegal too.

It is an absurd country run by Christian fundamentalists

That’s probably unfair on Christian’s as a whole. The country has been and to some extent always has and will be under the influence and control of racists.
Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 10:26 - Aug 8 with 502 viewsBlueBadger

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 23:05 - Aug 7 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Or put differently you just don’t like the way the most influential state and a global superpower is heading. You’ve already been called out by multiple people today on this very thread making things up. I feel sorry for you having to spend the vast majority of your career dealing with a ridiculous country that you hate run by fundamentalists.

I’m old enough to remember a recent two term African American president and a pretty progressive Democratic Party just getting 80M votes.

American sure has its problems at the moment but quite frankly they’ve always existed and were even relatively recently, way worse in many respects. Although the overturning Roe v Wade is obviously v.troublesome. Younger generations are taking over most metro areas in traditional red states (ironically because of crazy high taxes in places like CA and recent lockdown policies).

Although the electoral college favors the Republicans where this is happening (TX for example), generational attitudes are changing. Austin, Dallas, Houston, Nashville could go on and on here… things have shifted these people will have kids and spread out.

Much like Labour, if the Democrats got their own house in order, had some new Blood and resonated more with working class communities things would look better for them. Instead Biden has approval ratings of something like 35% and been rather disaster in many areas. They could expand the Court if they had greater control in the senate, not that I agree with the way Republicans packed the court in 2020.

Anyway calling it a failed state contextually is rather laughable IMO but I’m never going to agree with the you lot anyway, so that’s there is a little point going back and forth. The good news you’ll never have to live here.

I’m off for a Bud Light (that was a joke btw)
[Post edited 7 Aug 2022 23:20]

Why wouldn't a decent human being be worried about the steady erosion of human rights and the growth of fundamentalism in the most powerful nation in the world?

What happens there, happens here, eventually.

What is it about this f**kery that you like so much that feel compelled to keep turning up to defend, excuse and chuck around the whatabouttery?
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 11:30]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 10:34 - Aug 8 with 469 viewsGeoffSentence

Lindsay Graham this morning advocating end of interracial marriage in USA on 20:30 - Aug 7 by ElderGrizzly

Two interviews today, he was asked three times his view on federal protection of same sex and interracial marriage.

His answers were either to ignore it or to “return it to the states”. The latter he knows would outlaw it in at least 25 states, along similar lines to Roe vs Wade.

He knows what he was saying/doing without having to say the actual words.

All that is probably true.

But he did not 'advocate' the end of interracial marriage.

Like I said, you are stretching the definition of 'advocating'.

If you want to be taken seriously it is better to avoid sensationalising and exaggerating.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024