Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leif Davis 17:23 - Aug 7 with 4421 viewsFromReuserWithLove

I think once he and the team get up to speed, he will be an outstanding addition. He has only been with us just over a week so he's been thrown into the deep end a little, but he clearly has the attributes. I have seen some fans quite eager to jump on him which I find a bit odd but he will start to show his promise of n the coming weeks.
Leif Davis on 17:26 - Aug 7 with 4205 viewsSTYG

He’s been really shaky (not an intended Leif joke when I typed it) but you can also see he’s quick, can get forward, gets his head up and can cross. He’s also done well defensively.

Definitely a few dodgy moments but he’s at a new club in a well oiled machine as Harness said, learning his job and it’ll take him a while to settle. He’s clearly a very good player.
Leif Davis on 17:36 - Aug 7 with 4139 viewsLeoMuff

It does look like there is a decent player there, however Leigh yesterday looked a significant upgrade both offensively and defensively

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Leif Davis on 17:38 - Aug 7 with 4116 viewsFunge

You can see parts of Cresswell and Knudsen in him, which is very good news. A Leeds mate (I know, sorry...) thought he would definitely be Championship bound, and thinks he's got a bunch of potential.

Daft challenge for the notloB pen last week (not helped by some dubious reffing), but our whole back line are guilty of occasional mistakes.

I can see us selling him for big money in a few years.

Leigh looks like excellent competition for him too....

Poor old Penney.
Leif Davis on 17:39 - Aug 7 with 4081 viewsFrimleyBlue

I can't comment on how he did yesterday. But I think what didn't help him last week was that he's come in when we have another wingback who had looked like a potential gem and Davis looked the worse of the two but had been given the nod.

It'll be interesting how he develops or if KM has another role for Leigh through the season as Leighs attributes seem to good to be left in the background.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Leif Davis on 17:42 - Aug 7 with 4074 viewsmattyhollandsirish

Think it's a bit tricky with him at present. Not sure how bad his injury was (didn't look too bad at the end of the game) so that might force Mckenna's hand, but for me, Leigh looks more comfortable and ready for league 1 games. That's perhaps to be expected, but as we found out last season, we can't really afford a poor start so it's perhaps difficult to give him the time he maybe needs. We're unbeaten and he'll hopefully improve so absolutely not the time to write him off before he's started.
Leif Davis on 18:02 - Aug 7 with 3991 viewsclive_baker

He definitely has the physical attributes and loves getting forward. It was evident yesterday how much more balanced our attacking threat was between left and right, rather than being so heavily reliant on Burns.

He was involved in the move that saw Harness shot saved from the JD cross. It was Davis that won the ball that started the move which saw Morsy’s header saved. It was him on the overlap who Morsy slipped in that resulted in the first goal. A bit more on his cross and I think it was Ladapo waiting to tuck it away. Not to say his performance was perfect and he clearly flagged as the game went on but there’s a player in there, and he’s built for this system. Almost looks like he’s 2 or 3 weeks behind the others in terms of fitness and sharpness. I would be tempted to give him 45 minutes on Tuesday night before another start at home to MK Dons Saturday.

I agree with your sentiments entirely.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Leif Davis on 18:32 - Aug 7 with 3848 viewsBigCommon

I really , really like this kid, from what I've seen..
Don't think there's anything wrong with his fitness. Just slight speed of thought perhaps? Being unfamiliar with certain players and patterns of play. As a result, he has been largely playing on instinct. Same as Harness and Ladapo.
Couple that with the fact he's come straight in blind, and had two different CB's alongside him. I think he's coped really well .
Greg Leigh looks strong. But lets not forget , he's come on last 20 mins in both games, against tired legs. So he should look strong.
I'm happy with either starting, tbh. And the other coming on strong off the bench.
Both rapid, both good athletes,
Good to be having a conversation about who starts based on who's best. Rather than who starts, because of who's least talented.
We look strong down our left now. Haven't felt that in a while. As a result of that. Don't expect our right hand side (Burns), to produce last years numbers. Just because we'll balance the play a bit more...
Leif Davis on 20:11 - Aug 7 with 3649 viewsclive_baker

Leif Davis on 18:32 - Aug 7 by BigCommon

I really , really like this kid, from what I've seen..
Don't think there's anything wrong with his fitness. Just slight speed of thought perhaps? Being unfamiliar with certain players and patterns of play. As a result, he has been largely playing on instinct. Same as Harness and Ladapo.
Couple that with the fact he's come straight in blind, and had two different CB's alongside him. I think he's coped really well .
Greg Leigh looks strong. But lets not forget , he's come on last 20 mins in both games, against tired legs. So he should look strong.
I'm happy with either starting, tbh. And the other coming on strong off the bench.
Both rapid, both good athletes,
Good to be having a conversation about who starts based on who's best. Rather than who starts, because of who's least talented.
We look strong down our left now. Haven't felt that in a while. As a result of that. Don't expect our right hand side (Burns), to produce last years numbers. Just because we'll balance the play a bit more...

The thing I like about Davis is he’s got the things you can’t really teach. He’s athletic, he looks quick, loves to get forward, can pick a pass and his left foot certainly possesses quality. Fundamentally he has everything in his locker to be a very good player at this level, and arguably a higher one. Leeds gave him a proper good look and consideration for premier league football and he played a big part at Bournemouth last season who were promoted from the Championship. You don’t last at those environments unless you’ve got something about you.

His sharpness and decision making are the things he can and will learn as he beds in. We need to remember he’s 22 and been thrown in at the deep end, but his ceiling is high. Yesterday was already an improvement on Bolton. We need to give him a run of 10 starts, let him get his match sharpness, get those fitness levels up and get to know his teammates. Last 2 games his race has been run on about 55 minutes, he looks a few weeks off getting up to speed. Then it’s just a bit of belief and confidence, which again will come in time and experience.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Leif Davis on 21:52 - Aug 7 with 3358 viewsVic

Gives great confidence in KMs recruiting doesn’t it.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Leif Davis on 21:57 - Aug 7 with 3308 viewsxrayspecs

I think he is an excellent addition.

Worth remembering that both he and Harness have only just joined the club, it will take them time to get to the same level of physical intensity as those who have had a full pre-season with us, and to get to know the players and system.

I remember how a lot of fans pre-judged Aluko at the start of last season. He was off the pace and had a heavy touch. Once fit and integrated into the team, one our better performers last season.

Give them time to settle, we have two significant upgrades in the LWB position and Harness will be one of our leading scorers this season.
Leif Davis on 23:24 - Aug 7 with 3026 viewsKropotkin123

Leif Davis on 17:36 - Aug 7 by LeoMuff

It does look like there is a decent player there, however Leigh yesterday looked a significant upgrade both offensively and defensively

Agreed. Not knocking Leif. I just think Leigh has performed very well so far.

We are also 2 games in, so Leif may be playing at the 60th percentile of his game and Leigh at his 90th.

Good problem to have. Two seemingly talented players.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Leif Davis on 05:57 - Aug 8 with 2825 viewsElephantintheRoom

Not much of a surprise surely?

He might just have cost more than every full back in the division put together - which shows how much McKenna wanted him

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Leif Davis on 09:26 - Aug 8 with 2497 viewsGeoffSentence

Leif Davis on 05:57 - Aug 8 by ElephantintheRoom

Not much of a surprise surely?

He might just have cost more than every full back in the division put together - which shows how much McKenna wanted him

Unlikely that he cost more than every other fullback in the division, when you think that two of our other full backs cost the best part of £1.2M between them.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Leif Davis on 09:47 - Aug 8 with 2429 viewsRobTheMonk

The thing that frustrates me a little is that Greg Leigh has looked the better of the two and had the pre season with the squad, but has had to make way for the big money signing.

I think Davis will come good. The difference between them is that Leigh has come off of a League 1 season and Davis is coming down a couple of leagues. It takes time to get used to League 1.

That we finally have two potentially decent left backs that are ours (not loans) speaks volumes too.
Leif Davis on 10:18 - Aug 8 with 2326 viewsBlue_Heath

Leif Davis on 17:36 - Aug 7 by LeoMuff

I am hopeful he'll come good but Leigh streets ahead at the moment from what I saw at Southend/Bolton/FGR. If fit I'd play Leif tonight and start Leigh Saturday.
Leif Davis on 10:18 - Aug 8 with 2322 viewsSomethingBlue

Leif Davis on 09:47 - Aug 8 by RobTheMonk

The thing that frustrates me a little is that Greg Leigh has looked the better of the two and had the pre season with the squad, but has had to make way for the big money signing.

I think Davis will come good. The difference between them is that Leigh has come off of a League 1 season and Davis is coming down a couple of leagues. It takes time to get used to League 1.

That we finally have two potentially decent left backs that are ours (not loans) speaks volumes too.

It's a bit harsh on Leigh, who is clearly going to be more than competent, but I can understand that the best way of getting an expensive signing with high potential up to speed might be to stick him into a match situation.

Only saw the highlights but it was good to see Davis getting forward with pace and incision, a promising sign.

Ultimately, as you say — how good to have genuine depth in a position that has nobbled us for a long time.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Leif Davis on 10:31 - Aug 8 with 2289 viewsSamWhiteUK

Strikes me as someone who is really trying to impress and verges on trying a bit too hard atm. He'll settle in.
Leif Davis on 12:07 - Aug 8 with 2090 viewsitfcjoe

If you are spending over a million quid on a left back as a third tier club it isn't a great leap to suggest they should be very good - that people seem to worry he might be a dud at this stage is just insane

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Leif Davis on 16:49 - Aug 8 with 1857 viewsSaleAway

Leif Davis on 12:07 - Aug 8 by itfcjoe

If you are spending over a million quid on a left back as a third tier club it isn't a great leap to suggest they should be very good - that people seem to worry he might be a dud at this stage is just insane

I don't think people are worrying that he's a dud, just wondering, if, given that leigh has looked q quality, we might be better using him until Davis gets up to speed. Davis' eventual ceiling may be higher, but from what we've seen so far, Leigh's current firm is better. It's a tricky decision to make about how best to get a player up to speed. .

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Leif Davis on 19:38 - Aug 8 with 1705 viewsTractorTom5

Leif Davis on 17:38 - Aug 7 by Funge

You can see parts of Cresswell and Knudsen in him, which is very good news. A Leeds mate (I know, sorry...) thought he would definitely be Championship bound, and thinks he's got a bunch of potential.

Daft challenge for the notloB pen last week (not helped by some dubious reffing), but our whole back line are guilty of occasional mistakes.

I can see us selling him for big money in a few years.

Leigh looks like excellent competition for him too....

Poor old Penney.

It should be Leigh and Penney competing for the LWB spot
Leif too many dodgy decisions, passed and naivety for me yet he’s hardly played many games had he and can’t manage a full 90 for us either . Hope Ashtons not spent on an injury carrying player !!
Leif Davis on 19:42 - Aug 8 with 1696 viewsTractorTom5

Leif Davis on 09:26 - Aug 8 by GeoffSentence

Unlikely that he cost more than every other fullback in the division, when you think that two of our other full backs cost the best part of £1.2M between them.

Don’t think he’ll be worth it . Hope he proves me wrong but doubt it
Leigh and Penney offer more
Poor Penney - would definately be off if I were him !
Leif Davis on 19:44 - Aug 8 with 1689 viewsSkip_Intro

Leif Davis on 19:38 - Aug 8 by TractorTom5

Leif too many dodgy decisions, passed and naivety for me yet he’s hardly played many games had he and can’t manage a full 90 for us either . Hope Ashtons not spent on an injury carrying player !!

jesus wept...
Leif Davis on 22:45 - Aug 8 with 1541 viewsFunge

Leif Davis on 19:38 - Aug 8 by TractorTom5

Hi Norfu(k.

Your county stinks of p1ss, Yarmouth is dire, you are vermin.

Leave this place.
Leif Davis on 10:32 - Aug 9 with 1281 viewshadleighboyblue

Leif Davis on 17:39 - Aug 7 by FrimleyBlue

I can't comment on how he did yesterday. But I think what didn't help him last week was that he's come in when we have another wingback who had looked like a potential gem and Davis looked the worse of the two but had been given the nod.

It'll be interesting how he develops or if KM has another role for Leigh through the season as Leighs attributes seem to good to be left in the background.

I agree with the comments predicting Davis will be a solid addition and one that can increase in value , but I also agree that Leigh looks very strong .

Hopefully we can use both players , can we somehow play both ?

Leigh looks capable of playing centrally
Leif Davis on 16:28 - Aug 9 with 1177 viewsKropotkin123

Leif Davis on 10:32 - Aug 9 by hadleighboyblue

I agree with the comments predicting Davis will be a solid addition and one that can increase in value , but I also agree that Leigh looks very strong .

Hopefully we can use both players , can we somehow play both ?

Leigh looks capable of playing centrally

Taking more of a Donacien role on the left? Not a bad shout.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024