Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August 19:12 - Aug 7 with 2706 viewspointofblue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62366363

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 19:22 - Aug 7 with 2606 viewsMattinLondon

It’s not a good look. Am I right in thinking that Coventry are looking to build a new stadium as they are fed up with the stadium owners? Off topic, has Coventry ever owned the stadium outright? Think they want to a new stadium which they’ll own outright but could be wrong.

I’m surprised that this issue hasn’t occurred before - a couple teams share their stadium with rugby union teams so the pitch must get worn out very quickly.
Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 19:25 - Aug 7 with 2595 viewsITFC_Forever

Coventry have been a shambles ever since they left Highfield Road.

From the day they started at the Ricoh, it’s been a disaster…. Even from the beginning they needed to average 17k per home game just to break even, when their average attendance hasn’t ever been anywhere near that.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 19:30 - Aug 7 with 2570 viewspointofblue

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 19:22 - Aug 7 by MattinLondon

It’s not a good look. Am I right in thinking that Coventry are looking to build a new stadium as they are fed up with the stadium owners? Off topic, has Coventry ever owned the stadium outright? Think they want to a new stadium which they’ll own outright but could be wrong.

I’m surprised that this issue hasn’t occurred before - a couple teams share their stadium with rugby union teams so the pitch must get worn out very quickly.

Don’t think so - think the club owners owned the stadium to start with, rather than Coventry themselves (if that makes sense).

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 21:09 - Aug 7 with 2283 viewsIllinoisblue

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 19:25 - Aug 7 by ITFC_Forever

From the day they started at the Ricoh, it’s been a disaster…. Even from the beginning they needed to average 17k per home game just to break even, when their average attendance hasn’t ever been anywhere near that.

Seemed like they were slowly getting their act together; decent team, good manager back home. Sounds like it’s still a disaster of a situation for them with the ground. Feel bad for their fans

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 06:57 - Aug 8 with 1776 viewsChurchman

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 19:25 - Aug 7 by ITFC_Forever

Seems like they’d have been far better off staying at the old Highfield Road. It wasn’t that bad a ground.

As for needing 17k to break even, that’s interesting, given their attendances have never been massive.
Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 08:07 - Aug 8 with 1601 viewsElephantintheRoom

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 06:57 - Aug 8 by Churchman

Seems like they’d have been far better off staying at the old Highfield Road. It wasn’t that bad a ground.

As for needing 17k to break even, that’s interesting, given their attendances have never been massive.

It was a reasonable assumption - if a little misguided when it all went pear-shaped, largely i see to recall due to rogue ownership.

Some people think that Ipswich belong in the Premier League just because they were in the top division from the late 60s to the mid 80s. Coventry were there before them and still there when Town were relegated. Only Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool had been in the top division longer than Coventry - so it’s easy to understand a certain wave of optimism when the Ricoh arrived as a new model for football clubs just when Coventry had aspirations to be back where they belong

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 08:23 - Aug 8 with 1547 viewsRadlett_blue

Coventry initially planned a 45,000-seater stadium, after the hubris of umpteen years in the top tier. However, the stadium was delivered four years behind schedule and was more basic than anticipated with a 32,500-seat capacity. Nothing wrong with that as Coventry were never going to fill a 45,000 stadium. .The stadium has never seen a capacity crowd for a Coventry City match. The stadium was initially owned and operated by Arena Coventry Limited (ACL), with Coventry City as tenants. ACL was owned jointly by Coventry City Council and the Alan Higgs Charity, which both put up a considerable investment. After all the shenanigans with Sisu, the hedge fund which bought the club, the ground ended up being owned by Wasps RFC & Coventry are mere tenants.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 14:12 - Aug 8 with 1297 viewsChurchman

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 08:07 - Aug 8 by ElephantintheRoom

It was a reasonable assumption - if a little misguided when it all went pear-shaped, largely i see to recall due to rogue ownership.

Some people think that Ipswich belong in the Premier League just because they were in the top division from the late 60s to the mid 80s. Coventry were there before them and still there when Town were relegated. Only Arsenal, Everton and Liverpool had been in the top division longer than Coventry - so it’s easy to understand a certain wave of optimism when the Ricoh arrived as a new model for football clubs just when Coventry had aspirations to be back where they belong

If memory serves me right, Coventry rarely got big crowds in the old first division, even when they had a decent season. Catchment area wise, Coventry is squeezed by the Birmingham clubs and of course their nearest and dearest Leicester.

The ‘business case’ was different from say Southampton whose crowds were limited by the old Dell or say Derby who could always attract a crowd even at the old cramped Baseball Ground. These are ‘one town/city clubs’. If they hoped for min 17000 crowds it was just that - a hope.

They were actually relegated 2000/2001 so no, they were not relegated after Ipswich. I don’t think Ipswich supporters do think the club belongs in the Premier League in the way you imply. They hope we can get there and why not, given some of the clubs that do.

Whether your lot Norwich have a sense of entitlement, I’ve no idea.
Login to get fewer ads

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 14:34 - Aug 8 with 1243 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Would have been sensible to have switched the home and away fixtures but wouldn't have been possible at such late notice. If it is still in use leading up to their next home match perhaps they should do that in good time.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 14:35 - Aug 8 with 1234 viewsChrisd

Yes, but lets not forget they've had copious amounts of Rugby 7 games played on that pitch due to the Commonwealth Games, so you can appreciate that it's in a bit of a mess and with such a short turn around I would've thought it was always going to be a likely outcome.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 17:35 - Aug 8 with 1057 viewsbournemouthblue

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 14:35 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

Yes, but lets not forget they've had copious amounts of Rugby 7 games played on that pitch due to the Commonwealth Games, so you can appreciate that it's in a bit of a mess and with such a short turn around I would've thought it was always going to be a likely outcome.

Downthumbed in error, absolutely

Bonkers scheduling by the league

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 19:19 - Aug 8 with 986 viewsitfcsuth

They had something like over 30 commonwealth rugby games played in 7 days I believe.

While it isn’t ideal, very little Coventry could do about it.

No surprise pitch needs some serious TLC before playing on it again.
Championship game called off because of an unplayable pitch - in August on 19:40 - Aug 8 with 958 viewsbobwya

Coventry signed a 10 year tenancy agreement with Wasps to return to the stadium but with an escape clause after à few years which they hope to use when a new stadium on the outskirts of the city is completed
Wasps promised to rectify the pitch during the summer According Coventry they haven't- and then came the rugby sevens!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024