Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Average all-time attendances 15:21 - Aug 8 with 2828 viewsVeggie

I found this article which lists average all-time attendances for all football league clubs. A few surprises here, mainly how relatively low the top Premier League clubs’ average attendances have been (must reflect their relatively small capacities compared to now). Also, somewhat annoyingly we are just 8 behind Norwich. One for their honours board no doubt. The article was from 2020, so probably slightly inaccurate as of now.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/how-englands-top-four-divisions-look-based-on-all-time-a

V
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 16:06]
Average all-time attendances on 15:26 - Aug 8 with 2495 viewsbournemouthblue

That's going to be fairly recently they have overtaken us, all thanks to Marcus Evans

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Average all-time attendances on 15:45 - Aug 8 with 2411 viewsmonty_radio

I've just taken a very cursory look at how many of those all-time average attendance figures compare to my very rough estimate of how many each club currently gets. I think the result is quite surprising as, out of the 92 clubs for whom figures are given, by my reckoning a dozen or so are doing worse, another dozen or so are about the same. But the remaining 68 are doing much better.

Bit of a restricted survey, I know, not least because as their figures go right back to the late 19th C the impact of the inter and post-war glory years is suppressed.. Nevertheless, at the very least, attendances don't seem to be declining when looked at across the decades, but rather, seem to be showing a general increase when set against the trend of more than a century of football.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Average all-time attendances on 16:10 - Aug 8 with 2297 viewsVeggie

Average all-time attendances on 15:45 - Aug 8 by monty_radio

I've just taken a very cursory look at how many of those all-time average attendance figures compare to my very rough estimate of how many each club currently gets. I think the result is quite surprising as, out of the 92 clubs for whom figures are given, by my reckoning a dozen or so are doing worse, another dozen or so are about the same. But the remaining 68 are doing much better.

Bit of a restricted survey, I know, not least because as their figures go right back to the late 19th C the impact of the inter and post-war glory years is suppressed.. Nevertheless, at the very least, attendances don't seem to be declining when looked at across the decades, but rather, seem to be showing a general increase when set against the trend of more than a century of football.

Yeah it’s an interesting one. Our average recently has been higher than our long term average, mainly due to the feel-good factor of the take over and more exciting football than under ME / MM I suppose. Hopefully it will last.

V
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 16:10]
Average all-time attendances on 16:25 - Aug 8 with 2218 viewsjaykay

Average all-time attendances on 15:26 - Aug 8 by bournemouthblue

That's going to be fairly recently they have overtaken us, all thanks to Marcus Evans

well the first home games of the season norwich got 25,595 we got26,668 . that's well over a thousand more

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Average all-time attendances on 16:46 - Aug 8 with 2174 viewsbournemouthblue

Average all-time attendances on 16:25 - Aug 8 by jaykay

well the first home games of the season norwich got 25,595 we got26,668 . that's well over a thousand more

Indeed but for a decade under Evans our crowds continued to drop along with performancs in parallel with one of Norwich's greatest ever periods as a club

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Average all-time attendances on 16:55 - Aug 8 with 2136 viewsVeggie

Average all-time attendances on 16:46 - Aug 8 by bournemouthblue

Indeed but for a decade under Evans our crowds continued to drop along with performancs in parallel with one of Norwich's greatest ever periods as a club

Indeed it would be quite interesting to see the average attendances under each manager. Gates under Mick can’t have been averaging more than 14k or so, whereas even under Lambert they were almost certainly higher. Strange.

V
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 16:56]
Average all-time attendances on 17:49 - Aug 8 with 1970 viewsIllinoisblue

Average all-time attendances on 16:46 - Aug 8 by bournemouthblue

And they have 5,000 more season ticket holders than us. Will take an exceptional season from us to end with a higher average than them.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Average all-time attendances on 18:09 - Aug 8 with 1934 viewsRadlett_blue

Probably the best way of establishing now "big" a club is, given history. Very few anomalies as far as I can see (apart from the Budgies being above Town), although Birmingham & Middlesbrough are both a bit higher than I would have expected.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 18:14]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Average all-time attendances on 18:14 - Aug 8 with 1907 viewsHighgateBlue

Average all-time attendances on 15:26 - Aug 8 by bournemouthblue

I don't suppose going into administration /helped/.

And I'm not inclined to try to blame Evans for that.
Average all-time attendances on 18:35 - Aug 8 with 1826 viewsFtnfwest

Average all-time attendances on 18:09 - Aug 8 by Radlett_blue

Probably the best way of establishing now "big" a club is, given history. Very few anomalies as far as I can see (apart from the Budgies being above Town), although Birmingham & Middlesbrough are both a bit higher than I would have expected.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 18:14]

Sadly club size has nothing to do with fans anymore
Average all-time attendances on 18:37 - Aug 8 with 1824 viewsIllinoisblue

There’s definitely some childish behaviour on show in this thread. The ignore function might be the best way forward.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Average all-time attendances on 19:28 - Aug 8 with 1682 viewsPendejo

Not really to do with small capacities as much as the way attendances p!hammered during the peak hooligan era mid to late 70s all the way up to Italia 90 which is when things started to get better.

Chelsea posted some sub 20,000 attendances in the 80s, Manure, I think, went as low as 28,000, and Liverpool saw attendances fall despite being Kings of Europe.M

If you take Ipswich 80-81 v 22/23 to get a 26,000+ crowd back then took 4,000+ away fans v the less than 2,000 Bolton fans on opening day of the season.

I am amazed at the home support in Tier 3 v what Robson's teams played in front of 80-82
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 19:53]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Average all-time attendances on 20:11 - Aug 8 with 1294 viewsJ2BLUE

Nice one Veggie, just posted ours and Norwich’s number in the group chat. Then waited for the Portsmouth fan to massively overstate theirs before owning him with the number.

Satisfying.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Average all-time attendances on 20:14 - Aug 8 with 1278 viewsVeggie

Average all-time attendances on 20:11 - Aug 8 by J2BLUE

Nice one Veggie, just posted ours and Norwich’s number in the group chat. Then waited for the Portsmouth fan to massively overstate theirs before owning him with the number.

Satisfying.

Nice. Glad to be of service. What is it with Pompey fans these days? VERY touchy. 2nd only to Bristol City.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2022 20:15]
Average all-time attendances on 20:43 - Aug 8 with 1156 viewsBlueBadger

Average all-time attendances on 20:11 - Aug 8 by J2BLUE

Satisfying.

Is that Pompey weirdo still doing the rounds?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Average all-time attendances on 21:26 - Aug 8 with 1117 viewsJ2BLUE

Average all-time attendances on 20:43 - Aug 8 by BlueBadger

Is that Pompey weirdo still doing the rounds?

He’s sort of a mate. Kind of. Maybe. Reluctantly. I guess.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Average all-time attendances on 09:59 - Aug 9 with 763 viewsChateauWines

Average all-time attendances on 16:25 - Aug 8 by jaykay

I will be pleasantly surprised if our average gate is above them over the season. Or will mean we have gone up automatically

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024