Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keogh set to sign 11:09 - Aug 9 with 9801 viewsUppaTowen78

Seems odd
Keogh set to sign on 13:18 - Aug 9 with 919 viewsBloomBlue

Only concern I have is when you're 36 you need to be playing regularly (weekly) to be fully match fit if not the body picks up a small injury that puts you out for weeks.

Certainly wouldn't want him playing instead of the Wolf.

But does have a Mowbray feel about it but think Mowbray was 32 when he joined and that 3-4 years younger makes a big difference in a footballer.
Keogh set to sign on 13:21 - Aug 9 with 895 viewsRedX

Keogh set to sign on 11:49 - Aug 9 by itfcjoe

He's a really good player, always has been and still cutting it in the Championship last year - but if a 2 year deal and a fee paid seems a bit mad.

He'll improve the squad, no doubt, both with regards to what is done on the pitch and bits off the pitch.

Without being a bit of a nob though, when the club have had an inspirational speech re running towards adversity by a bloke who would have died because he got tail ended at 100mph and has life changing injuries is bringing someone who was front and centre of the drink driving stuff at Derby really fitting in with that?

You could do with having a read off this.

No one is perfect in this world btw.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/01/richard-keogh-waking-up-paramed
Keogh set to sign on 13:22 - Aug 9 with 899 viewsblaggers

I'm just amazed that the Star and TWTD got off their ar$es to break the Keogh story, and not leave it yet again to the TT crew. 😂

Poll: What happens next?

Keogh set to sign on 13:22 - Aug 9 with 889 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Keogh set to sign on 13:18 - Aug 9 by BloomBlue

Only concern I have is when you're 36 you need to be playing regularly (weekly) to be fully match fit if not the body picks up a small injury that puts you out for weeks.

But does have a Mowbray feel about it but think Mowbray was 32 when he joined and that 3-4 years younger makes a big difference in a footballer.

I think you're right. He's certainly not going to displace Wolf, Fridge or JD at the moment, but I can see the benefit to a very young squad of having that level of experience sitting on the bench and talking to them in training.

Also, when we are up against it, like we were in the second half on Saturday, I'll bet KM would love to have someone with that amount of experience to come in and see the game out.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Keogh set to sign on 13:24 - Aug 9 with 883 viewsReusersTown

Keogh set to sign on 11:40 - Aug 9 by STYG

What is it that qualifies you to make such an opinion when the Blackpool fans think he was brilliant in a good Championship side last season, Huddersfield fans said the same, as did MK Dons fans and before that he was at Derby being regularly voted one of the best defenders in the division?

It's not Sonko or Fish who've had their day. It's an old (admittedly) centre half who is still considered excellent in the division above.

I'm guessing it's the experience of people having seen Keogh play over the years, and being a walking train wreck half the time (although in the championship), no need to get on your high horse. Care to enlighten us to the reasons he's been moved on year after year then and playing for all these teams.
Keogh set to sign on 13:25 - Aug 9 with 878 viewsRedX

I don't see the problem with his age if he's fit enough and playing well.
Keogh set to sign on 13:25 - Aug 9 with 876 viewspointofblue

Keogh set to sign on 13:24 - Aug 9 by ReusersTown

I'm guessing it's the experience of people having seen Keogh play over the years, and being a walking train wreck half the time (although in the championship), no need to get on your high horse. Care to enlighten us to the reasons he's been moved on year after year then and playing for all these teams.

Sorry, when did this walking train wreck take place when fans seem to be saying he was one of their better players?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Keogh set to sign on 13:34 - Aug 9 with 829 viewsSTYG

Keogh set to sign on 13:24 - Aug 9 by ReusersTown

So after a lengthy spell at Derby he

a) Went to MK Dons in League One to play again after serious injury then b) Got an offer to go to Huddersfield in the Championship, who wanted to keep him but let him move to c) which was Blackpool, also in the Championship, who offered him a longer deal.

Not quite the being moved on for being a bad egg you were going for there was it.
Login to get fewer ads

Keogh set to sign on 13:42 - Aug 9 with 800 viewsPinewoodblue

Keogh set to sign on 12:04 - Aug 9 by itfcjoe

If people want to get involved with mental gymnastics that makes out Keogh was a victim in all this then that's up to them.

He wasn't treated appallingly, he was treated inconsistently - had Derby sacked all 3 of them then he wouldn't have been able to sue them

Joe you need to wind back a bit. Keogh says he was not with Lawrence and wasn’t aware he was drunk. As club captain he would likely be aware of which players not to accept a lift from.

Keogh was sacked for financial reasons, Derby were unsure when, or even if, he would play again and the remainder of his contract was over £2m.

When it went to court he was cleared of all charges of misconduct. It isn’t appropriate to keep defending your position especially as by the end of the week he maybe a Town player.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Keogh set to sign on 13:51 - Aug 9 with 776 viewsMookamoo

Keogh set to sign on 13:18 - Aug 9 by BloomBlue

Things move on.

36 is the new 32. Those ages are pretty comparable for a footballer in 2022.

Especially where you compare where we are now to where we were when Mowbray signed.
Keogh set to sign on 13:53 - Aug 9 with 762 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Keogh set to sign on 12:00 - Aug 9 by Guthrum

Front and centre, but should he have been? Admittedly it's in his own words, but this interview does paint a somewhat different picture: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/01/richard-keogh-waking-up-paramed

I still can’t believe Morris sacked him but not the two actual drivers and thought he was going to win that argument in court. Most blatant case of wrongful dismissal you’ll ever see anywhere.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Keogh set to sign on 13:55 - Aug 9 with 752 viewsSTYG

Keogh set to sign on 12:04 - Aug 9 by itfcjoe

If people want to get involved with mental gymnastics that makes out Keogh was a victim in all this then that's up to them.

He wasn't treated appallingly, he was treated inconsistently - had Derby sacked all 3 of them then he wouldn't have been able to sue them

Awful take.

He is a victim. That is quite abundantly clear. The only way he cannot be is without evidence you don't possess. Thought you were better than that.

He was treated appallingly. As per above, he was SACKED for being horribly injured in a car crash where he was a passenger accepting a lift from someone he didn't believe was drunk.
Keogh set to sign on 14:00 - Aug 9 with 730 viewspointofblue

Keogh set to sign on 13:55 - Aug 9 by STYG

Awful take.

He is a victim. That is quite abundantly clear. The only way he cannot be is without evidence you don't possess. Thought you were better than that.

He was treated appallingly. As per above, he was SACKED for being horribly injured in a car crash where he was a passenger accepting a lift from someone he didn't believe was drunk.

In fairness, you have no evidence he did not know Lawrence was drunk other than from Keogh himself, and he’s hardly going to say anything different. I have no qualms over signing him, and from his career before and since he seems a good character and person who may or may not have made a mistake. But “you can’t be sure as you weren’t there” works both ways.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2022 14:02]

Keogh set to sign on 14:10 - Aug 9 with 700 viewsGlasgowBlue

Brought in to stop these then minute wobbles we seem to be prone to when the opposition have a ral go at us.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Keogh set to sign on 14:48 - Aug 9 with 636 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Keogh set to sign on 14:00 - Aug 9 by pointofblue

In fairness, you have no evidence he did not know Lawrence was drunk other than from Keogh himself, and he’s hardly going to say anything different. I have no qualms over signing him, and from his career before and since he seems a good character and person who may or may not have made a mistake. But “you can’t be sure as you weren’t there” works both ways.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2022 14:02]

People are usually innocent until proven guilty in this country.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Keogh set to sign on 14:57 - Aug 9 with 609 viewspointofblue

Keogh set to sign on 14:48 - Aug 9 by The_Flashing_Smile

People are usually innocent until proven guilty in this country.

True. Though we’re not in the court of law here.

Wish we could just accept him without the rigmarole either way to be honest.

Keogh set to sign on 15:00 - Aug 9 with 606 viewsitfcjoe

Keogh set to sign on 14:57 - Aug 9 by pointofblue

He will be accepted, some people will feel uncomfortable and not like the signing in some respects but they aren't going to be booing him and burning their shirts, it will just take longer for them to be won over as his character becomes clearer and he proves himself.

I'm sure 99% of fans agree that footballing wise it's a good signing, but you won't get the same amount who think it is the case for off pitch at the moment

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Keogh set to sign on 15:03 - Aug 9 with 597 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Keogh set to sign on 14:57 - Aug 9 by pointofblue

Doesn't matter that we’re not in the court of law - if he says he didn't know Laurence was over the limit then who are we to decide the other way? Give him the benefit of the doubt, or if you can't do that just accept you don't know and shrug. I don't know why some just have to assume the worst in people.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Keogh set to sign on 15:04 - Aug 9 with 596 viewspointofblue

Keogh set to sign on 15:00 - Aug 9 by itfcjoe

He will be accepted, some people will feel uncomfortable and not like the signing in some respects but they aren't going to be booing him and burning their shirts, it will just take longer for them to be won over as his character becomes clearer and he proves himself.

I'm sure 99% of fans agree that footballing wise it's a good signing, but you won't get the same amount who think it is the case for off pitch at the moment

We’ve embraced those who have done worse though - Norwood being the most recent. Croft being another. I think you mentioned Venus, Tanner and Sonner earlier today.

Keogh set to sign on 15:07 - Aug 9 with 592 viewsBlue_Moses

Keogh set to sign on 11:14 - Aug 9 by STYG

Genuine WTF.

Expected that to be some fake account.

Why would we offer a 35 year old a 2 year deal when we have no need in that position at all? Perhaps Burgess is being moved on and Keogh is the cover, but you'd imagine we'd persist with Ndaba or kept Baggott if we really thought we needed another defender.

Keogh is also nowhere near as mobile as Fridge, Wolf or JD who can all carry the ball forward.

Just don't see it. Yet it seems to be a legitimate source that must be very confident. Apart from experience what does Keogh provide? Seems the least likely McKenna and Ashton signing ever. Keogh has also got recent form for being in the public eye in a very unfortunate incident.

WHAT?!?!

But when you search TWTD on internet the first thing that comes up is this. Perhaps this guy has just got mixed up. I hope so!

Town Keen on Keogh 3rd Aug 2020 11:25
TWTD understands the Blues are among a number of clubs showing interest in free agent former Derby County skipper Richard Keogh. 63

Clearly it has to be happening. I can't see that any of our main three are being sold - we wouldn't get enough for them to make it worth the owners selling (but looking forward to the likes of Cruncher making out they are in the know and Wolf wasn't really ill he's off to Rangers for £4m).

Experienced leader and cover it is then. Ndaba out on loan and Burgess a back up behind Keogh.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2022 11:18]

I'm sure loads of people have responded but for those of us old enough to remember it will probably be the same reason we got Tony Mowbray in
Keogh set to sign on 15:09 - Aug 9 with 582 viewsZapers

Keogh set to sign on 15:03 - Aug 9 by The_Flashing_Smile

Doesn't matter that we’re not in the court of law - if he says he didn't know Laurence was over the limit then who are we to decide the other way? Give him the benefit of the doubt, or if you can't do that just accept you don't know and shrug. I don't know why some just have to assume the worst in people.

You just have to accept that some people on here are absolutely perfect, and never make mistakes. In my experience, not many footballers are perfect.

We need to give the man a chance!
Keogh set to sign on 15:11 - Aug 9 with 570 viewsitfcjoe

Keogh set to sign on 15:04 - Aug 9 by pointofblue

We’ve embraced those who have done worse though - Norwood being the most recent. Croft being another. I think you mentioned Venus, Tanner and Sonner earlier today.

In recent history it's only Norwood who had a DD fine about a decade before and that only came out after his further one here - if Keogh becomes a valuable contributor on and off the pitch he'll be embraced by the fans here as well.

But I'm personally amazed at the mental gymnastics some going though on this, I'd assume everyone would have a niggling character concern over it and we'll see how it plays out - I mentioned on this post here my main thoughts and stand by them. I'm personally not having the didn't know defence:

Keogh set to sign by itfcjoe 9 Aug 2022 12:15
And EDIT:

There is a much more likely scenario where Keogh is a good guy, a good pro, popular int he game a good leader - someone like a Chambers or Skuse was here - that has just made a major mistake and suffered unfair consequences compared to those more at fault.

Good people make mistakes, and the fact he's come back into game rather than be a pariah and end up in leadership roles and moving up pyramid despite his age working for good managers, good high character managers in reality means that is probably the case - but we don't need to try and make out that what happened wasn't major, and he wasn't majorly at fault

Keogh set to sign on 15:14 - Aug 9 with 546 viewsDarth_Koont

Keogh set to sign on 15:11 - Aug 9 by itfcjoe

In recent history it's only Norwood who had a DD fine about a decade before and that only came out after his further one here - if Keogh becomes a valuable contributor on and off the pitch he'll be embraced by the fans here as well.

But I'm personally amazed at the mental gymnastics some going though on this, I'd assume everyone would have a niggling character concern over it and we'll see how it plays out - I mentioned on this post here my main thoughts and stand by them. I'm personally not having the didn't know defence:

And EDIT:

There is a much more likely scenario where Keogh is a good guy, a good pro, popular int he game a good leader - someone like a Chambers or Skuse was here - that has just made a major mistake and suffered unfair consequences compared to those more at fault.

Good people make mistakes, and the fact he's come back into game rather than be a pariah and end up in leadership roles and moving up pyramid despite his age working for good managers, good high character managers in reality means that is probably the case - but we don't need to try and make out that what happened wasn't major, and he wasn't majorly at fault

Wait a minute. You said Keogh knew that Lawrence was drunk.

Just admit that you don’t know that at all. It’s a pretty serious allegation too – both that Keogh got into the car knowing this and also that he’s lying about it years later.

Pronouns: He/Him

Keogh set to sign on 15:16 - Aug 9 with 537 viewspointofblue

Keogh set to sign on 15:11 - Aug 9 by itfcjoe

And EDIT:

I think, for me, the character concerned over one error of judgement, if we take it as that, has been usurped by his behaviour at Stoke, Derby (prior to that incident), MK Dons, Huddersfield and Blackpool which seems to have been top notch. If there was a record of him taking all of the younger players out of the lash, or had other drinking matters against his record, then it’s completely different. Furthermore, he has been moving between clubs because he has wanted to and seems to be leaving nothing but best wishes behind him, again Derby aside.

Keogh set to sign on 15:17 - Aug 9 with 536 viewsitfcjoe

Keogh set to sign on 15:14 - Aug 9 by Darth_Koont

Wait a minute. You said Keogh knew that Lawrence was drunk.

Just admit that you don’t know that at all. It’s a pretty serious allegation too – both that Keogh got into the car knowing this and also that he’s lying about it years later.

Course he knew, and if he didn't know it was because he was too drunk himself to notice.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024