Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We spent up to £1m on Harper 06:45 - Aug 10 with 3495 viewsVeggie

£500,000 leading to £1m with top ups.

We’ve absolutely had our pants pulled down by West Brom.

Harper Signing Confirmed 25th Jun 2021 19:07
Town have confirmed the signing of midfielder Rekeem Harper on a three-year deal, with the club having an option for a further season, from West Brom, TWTD having revealed that the Blues had all but signed the 21-year-old a fortnight ago. 60

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 07:01 - Aug 10 with 3360 viewsITFCBlues

Not to mention that we let Liam Gibbs walk away to Norwich for a similar fee. Awful business.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 07:57 - Aug 10 with 3088 viewsBloomBlue

To be fair to Ashton even top managers occasionally make mistakes with players they buy so 1 or 2 of his purchase choices were bound to flop.
We spent up to £1m on Harper on 08:13 - Aug 10 with 2979 viewsMattinLondon

Cook wasn’t great here, but in his defence (and at the time), 500k for a young player with PL and Championship experience wasn’t that way out there in terms of fee. Not a bargain but it’s not 2.4 million for Norris kind of crazy.

Let’s not be disingenuous- yes he made a mistake and yes he hasn’t set the world on fire here but he’s still only 22.
We spent up to £1m on Harper on 08:32 - Aug 10 with 2852 viewsMullet

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 08:13 - Aug 10 by MattinLondon

Cook wasn’t great here, but in his defence (and at the time), 500k for a young player with PL and Championship experience wasn’t that way out there in terms of fee. Not a bargain but it’s not 2.4 million for Norris kind of crazy.

Let’s not be disingenuous- yes he made a mistake and yes he hasn’t set the world on fire here but he’s still only 22.

Plus he's one of many who have fallen through the cracks of Cook's massive squad churn. Had his route to the first team stunted by Evans and Morsy and then moved around, got COVID etc.

Looking across the squad it's pretty endemic outside the 11-15 regular starters.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 08:40 - Aug 10 with 2778 viewsITFCBlues

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 08:32 - Aug 10 by Mullet

Plus he's one of many who have fallen through the cracks of Cook's massive squad churn. Had his route to the first team stunted by Evans and Morsy and then moved around, got COVID etc.

Looking across the squad it's pretty endemic outside the 11-15 regular starters.

And we're still bloating the squad now with players that aren't really any better than we've got in the building to the detriment of the ones already here.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 08:55 - Aug 10 with 2675 viewsclive_baker

Hopefully it's £500+ performance related add ons.

So £500k.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 08:56 - Aug 10 with 2655 viewsitfcjoe

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 08:55 - Aug 10 by clive_baker

Hopefully it's £500+ performance related add ons.

So £500k.

I think it was around £250k in the end, so hopefully won't go up much more than that

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 09:05 - Aug 10 with 2564 viewsclive_baker

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 07:57 - Aug 10 by BloomBlue

To be fair to Ashton even top managers occasionally make mistakes with players they buy so 1 or 2 of his purchase choices were bound to flop.

I think that's very fair. When you consider Cook / Ashton also brought in Edmundson, Walton, Burns, Chaplin, Evans, Morsy on permanent deals. They're probably 6 of the core 8 in our best side at the moment, with the addition of 2 that were already here (Wolf + JD). You've never going to have a 100% hit rate. You could look at it as £500k combined for the WBA duo Harper and Edwards which we knew would both be a bit of a punt but they might've (still might) come good, and at an age where their ceiling is particularly high if they can.

Arguably £750k for Burgess was more of head scratcher in that his ceiling is lower, and while he's OK at what he does, I'm not convinced he's any better than someone like Wilson who we let walk out the door for free. I'm not saying we should regret letting him leave and I was an advocate of it at the time, but to then replace him with Burgess for so much money felt a little odd. Something of a panic buy after our awful start for me. Decent L1 'stoppers' don't tend to change hands at £750k.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 10:01 - Aug 10 with 2379 viewsitfcjoe

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 09:05 - Aug 10 by clive_baker

I think that's very fair. When you consider Cook / Ashton also brought in Edmundson, Walton, Burns, Chaplin, Evans, Morsy on permanent deals. They're probably 6 of the core 8 in our best side at the moment, with the addition of 2 that were already here (Wolf + JD). You've never going to have a 100% hit rate. You could look at it as £500k combined for the WBA duo Harper and Edwards which we knew would both be a bit of a punt but they might've (still might) come good, and at an age where their ceiling is particularly high if they can.

Arguably £750k for Burgess was more of head scratcher in that his ceiling is lower, and while he's OK at what he does, I'm not convinced he's any better than someone like Wilson who we let walk out the door for free. I'm not saying we should regret letting him leave and I was an advocate of it at the time, but to then replace him with Burgess for so much money felt a little odd. Something of a panic buy after our awful start for me. Decent L1 'stoppers' don't tend to change hands at £750k.

A good use of the Liam Gibbs fee, just don’t look what Norwich commentators and fans are saying about him….

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 10:04 - Aug 10 with 2360 viewsITFC_RDM

Genuinely thought we were getting a really exciting young player when he signed. Even after the first few games of the season, thought he looked a little raw but a prospect.... Can't ever see us having to pay that other £500k
We spent up to £1m on Harper on 10:34 - Aug 10 with 2227 viewsMattinLondon

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 08:40 - Aug 10 by ITFCBlues

And we're still bloating the squad now with players that aren't really any better than we've got in the building to the detriment of the ones already here.

Like who?
We spent up to £1m on Harper on 10:56 - Aug 10 with 2121 viewsSouperJim

Other than the obvious error, I actually thought he had a reasonable first half. Used the ball well and put 3 or 4 really excellent balls into the box that we should have done much better with. Ladapo would love that kind of service.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 11:35 - Aug 10 with 1955 viewsHarlestonblue

Entirely unconvinced by Harper from the start.
The lazy, complacent pass that gifted Colchester the game last night was unforgiveable. That will give me nightmares for years. I hope I never see him play for Ipswich again. Sell him or send him out on loan until his contract is up. Presumably he only got in the team because Ball is injured.
We spent up to £1m on Harper on 11:43 - Aug 10 with 1909 viewsVeggie

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 11:35 - Aug 10 by Harlestonblue

The lazy, complacent pass that gifted Colchester the game last night was unforgiveable. That will give me nightmares for years. I hope I never see him play for Ipswich again. Sell him or send him out on loan until his contract is up. Presumably he only got in the team because Ball is injured.

Careful calling him lazy. The woke mob will be around soon.
We spent up to £1m on Harper on 11:44 - Aug 10 with 1889 viewspointofblue

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 11:35 - Aug 10 by Harlestonblue

I’d assume Humphreys started due to Ball’s injury. Performance wise he probably did well enough to warrant a place on the bench on Saturday but those chances he missed…

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 11:46 - Aug 10 with 1861 viewsericclacton

The first time I saw him play I noticed he can fall asleep whilst standing up.
We spent up to £1m on Harper on 11:49 - Aug 10 with 1833 viewsSouperJim

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 11:43 - Aug 10 by Veggie

He didn't call him lazy, although I could understand the criticism if he did, he has that kind of style on the ball where he never looks like he's in a hurry.

I don't think he's a McKenna player, but he clearly has ability. In the right team he would be a useful playmaker, I doubt we'll ever see it here though. Seems a shame to me that his career path is on such a poor trajectory, as I actually think the way he plays is better suited to the top end of the pyramid.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 12:28 - Aug 10 with 1682 viewsMattinLondon

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 11:43 - Aug 10 by Veggie

Woke? I bet you’re the sort of chap who tells it like it is and has some very real concerns.
We spent up to £1m on Harper on 15:04 - Aug 10 with 1322 viewsFenland_Blue

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 08:13 - Aug 10 by MattinLondon

I wonder if anybody actually knows what his best position is?

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 15:33 - Aug 10 with 1250 viewsMattinLondon

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 15:04 - Aug 10 by Fenland_Blue

I wonder if anybody actually knows what his best position is?

Are you talking about Cook? If so, Coffee boy.
We spent up to £1m on Harper on 17:15 - Aug 10 with 1068 viewsWickets

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 10:56 - Aug 10 by SouperJim

Other than the obvious error, I actually thought he had a reasonable first half. Used the ball well and put 3 or 4 really excellent balls into the box that we should have done much better with. Ladapo would love that kind of service.

I thought he started quite well but went missing after his error and thought he might not appear for the second half
We spent up to £1m on Harper on 17:18 - Aug 10 with 1058 viewsWickets

We spent up to £1m on Harper on 11:44 - Aug 10 by pointofblue

I’d assume Humphreys started due to Ball’s injury. Performance wise he probably did well enough to warrant a place on the bench on Saturday but those chances he missed…

Apart from the obvious misses I thought Humpreys played really well was up for it and put in a lot more effort than most .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024