Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
99/2000 00:13 - Aug 11 with 1343 viewsStu_boy

Am I remembering wrong, but when we finally went up fro div 1 to the prem it felt like we had some players who knew where the net was. Dj, Stewart, reuser, holland, venus, mogga. Now im unsure. I dont wanna be negative but it feels like since the team consisisting of miller, bent, kuqi we've struggled for for goal output please appease me
99/2000 on 00:16 - Aug 11 with 1297 viewsmylittletown

They were all top Championship or potentially decent Premiership players.

We are in a different world now, but the current squad should be god in this league.
99/2000 on 01:23 - Aug 11 with 1236 viewstextbackup

To confirm, Burns Chaplin Harness Ladapo didnt score any goals last season in League 1?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

99/2000 on 02:55 - Aug 11 with 1216 viewsKropotkin123

DJ, yes.
Stewart was signed in the run-in, so would be more akin to a January signing nowadays. He probably only contributed 2 or 3 goals before the play-offs
Same for Reuser. Seemed to arrive out of nowhere and just smash a goal past Fulham, maybe.
Holland got 1 goal every 7.5 games in the first division, so pretty good. But would be moaned at nowadays as that is only 6 goals a season.
Venus got 12 in 93 games in the first division, but half of them were penalties. Considering how many Burns got from defense last season, it good, but not incredible.
Mogga got 5 in 128 games

The advantage was we weren't reliant on a 20 goal a season striker (although we had one) or a prolific midfielder, we had contributers from all over which added up.

Tbh, we had similar positives and issues to what we have now. We struggled to break down teams that parked the bus, but dominated games. Losing 1-0 to the Tranmere's and Grimsbys of the division was akin to the Morecambe's and Cambridge's of today.

The Bent, Kuqi and Miller days were great, but we're were very exposed. We were just as likely to concede 3 on any given day was we were to score 3. The Crewe 6-4 game epitomises that era. I think it was only 1-0 at halftime too.

We look back on that Burley era fondly, but we often only just made the playoffs and seemed to bottle that each year.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 2:57]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

99/2000 on 03:26 - Aug 11 with 1204 viewsBondiBlue

Hard comparison to make. 99/00 was obviously a far superior team. Team that started the season had johnson and naylor up front with scowcroft in a sort of right-sided 10 position, and he won player of the year. Biggest difference for me between that team and this one was playing style. We often got up the pitch through big switches from venus/magilton and sometimes direct to scowcroft/naylor. Even that team occasionally struggled to break down packed defences though. Hence the reuser and stewart signings mid-season.

Poll: Which would you accept?

99/2000 on 07:16 - Aug 11 with 1051 viewsbournemouthblue

99/2000 on 03:26 - Aug 11 by BondiBlue

Hard comparison to make. 99/00 was obviously a far superior team. Team that started the season had johnson and naylor up front with scowcroft in a sort of right-sided 10 position, and he won player of the year. Biggest difference for me between that team and this one was playing style. We often got up the pitch through big switches from venus/magilton and sometimes direct to scowcroft/naylor. Even that team occasionally struggled to break down packed defences though. Hence the reuser and stewart signings mid-season.

Take in mind that was built over several years of consistency too, playing together with a decent brand of football, it was a well-oiled machine.

We are barely 6 months into McKenna's project

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

99/2000 on 07:33 - Aug 11 with 1017 viewsVic

99/2000 on 07:16 - Aug 11 by bournemouthblue

Take in mind that was built over several years of consistency too, playing together with a decent brand of football, it was a well-oiled machine.

We are barely 6 months into McKenna's project

Your point about the building I’ve several years is well made. As frustrating as it is being in the 3rd division it’s where we are, with 3 yrs of stagnation. It was only 12 months ago we started to build. It will take time.

I really, really hope (and tbh, expect) to get up this season. But it wouldn’t surprise me if we dont. We’ve started from scratch and it takes time.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

99/2000 on 10:50 - Aug 11 with 816 viewsbournemouthblue

99/2000 on 07:33 - Aug 11 by Vic

Your point about the building I’ve several years is well made. As frustrating as it is being in the 3rd division it’s where we are, with 3 yrs of stagnation. It was only 12 months ago we started to build. It will take time.

I really, really hope (and tbh, expect) to get up this season. But it wouldn’t surprise me if we dont. We’ve started from scratch and it takes time.

The structure looks there but the goalscoring is a worry, I look at some of the other teams and think they look more equipped upfront.

We desperately need a quality striker to come in.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

99/2000 on 10:54 - Aug 11 with 805 viewschicoazul

99/2000 on 01:23 - Aug 11 by textbackup

To confirm, Burns Chaplin Harness Ladapo didnt score any goals last season in League 1?

We need all of them to get into double figures this year, and more besides. Looking at Burns’ career last year was very much a one off for goals. We need at least two more players to get well into the goals too. I don’t see it I’m afraid. Especially with what seems to be a strongly risk averse formation and set up. We may 1-0 our way to promotion and I hope so but it’s unlikely.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

99/2000 on 10:56 - Aug 11 with 798 viewsclive_baker

Not sure I would class Mogga as knowing where the net is, although he did score that crucial goal in the final of course. He, and to a lesser extent Venus were no more prolific than our current defenders are capable of. Veno took freekicks and pens which helped his stats. Arguaby our wing backs now, Burns especially, was far more prolific last season than Wilnis or Croft ever were.

Reuser, Holland probably on a par with what Chaplin, Harness, Morsy are capable of this season. Perhaps Evans too can chip in with 5+.

Where we're lacking is a proven forward. Ladapo might or might not get firing, Jackson has no precedent of scoring goals aside from 1 season really at a lower level. His ipswich record is <1 in 5, albeit some appearances off the bench. We have nobody in the same league as DJ or Stewart, not just by their standards but even relative to this division. If you had to pick the best 10 forwards in L1 right now none of ours would be in there. Both DJ and Stewart would've been in 1999 in what is now the Championship.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

99/2000 on 10:58 - Aug 11 with 789 viewschicoazul

99/2000 on 10:56 - Aug 11 by clive_baker

Not sure I would class Mogga as knowing where the net is, although he did score that crucial goal in the final of course. He, and to a lesser extent Venus were no more prolific than our current defenders are capable of. Veno took freekicks and pens which helped his stats. Arguaby our wing backs now, Burns especially, was far more prolific last season than Wilnis or Croft ever were.

Reuser, Holland probably on a par with what Chaplin, Harness, Morsy are capable of this season. Perhaps Evans too can chip in with 5+.

Where we're lacking is a proven forward. Ladapo might or might not get firing, Jackson has no precedent of scoring goals aside from 1 season really at a lower level. His ipswich record is <1 in 5, albeit some appearances off the bench. We have nobody in the same league as DJ or Stewart, not just by their standards but even relative to this division. If you had to pick the best 10 forwards in L1 right now none of ours would be in there. Both DJ and Stewart would've been in 1999 in what is now the Championship.

We have nobody in Scowie or Bam Bams league never mind the others.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

99/2000 on 12:44 - Aug 11 with 685 viewsChrisd

99/2000 on 02:55 - Aug 11 by Kropotkin123

DJ, yes.
Stewart was signed in the run-in, so would be more akin to a January signing nowadays. He probably only contributed 2 or 3 goals before the play-offs
Same for Reuser. Seemed to arrive out of nowhere and just smash a goal past Fulham, maybe.
Holland got 1 goal every 7.5 games in the first division, so pretty good. But would be moaned at nowadays as that is only 6 goals a season.
Venus got 12 in 93 games in the first division, but half of them were penalties. Considering how many Burns got from defense last season, it good, but not incredible.
Mogga got 5 in 128 games

The advantage was we weren't reliant on a 20 goal a season striker (although we had one) or a prolific midfielder, we had contributers from all over which added up.

Tbh, we had similar positives and issues to what we have now. We struggled to break down teams that parked the bus, but dominated games. Losing 1-0 to the Tranmere's and Grimsbys of the division was akin to the Morecambe's and Cambridge's of today.

The Bent, Kuqi and Miller days were great, but we're were very exposed. We were just as likely to concede 3 on any given day was we were to score 3. The Crewe 6-4 game epitomises that era. I think it was only 1-0 at halftime too.

We look back on that Burley era fondly, but we often only just made the playoffs and seemed to bottle that each year.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 2:57]

Naturally, it is all opinion and my memory isn't as good now I'm getting older, however I always look back fondly on that period, we played some good stuff under Burley and I was always confident we would score in games. I believed we were building season on season to get us prepared for promotion. Of course it was frustrating in the play offs, but it helped us in the long run to stabilise and cope in our first season in the EPL. It was just a pity we couldn't stay up in that second season even after that dreadful start, we really weren't that far from safety come the end of the campaign, but the 0-6 Liverpool drumming at PR seemed to knock the self belief out of the squad.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 13:01]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

99/2000 on 13:07 - Aug 11 with 615 viewsPinewoodblue

99/2000 on 12:44 - Aug 11 by Chrisd

Naturally, it is all opinion and my memory isn't as good now I'm getting older, however I always look back fondly on that period, we played some good stuff under Burley and I was always confident we would score in games. I believed we were building season on season to get us prepared for promotion. Of course it was frustrating in the play offs, but it helped us in the long run to stabilise and cope in our first season in the EPL. It was just a pity we couldn't stay up in that second season even after that dreadful start, we really weren't that far from safety come the end of the campaign, but the 0-6 Liverpool drumming at PR seemed to knock the self belief out of the squad.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 13:01]

The thing to remember is we never tried to bully our way into the top flight. We tried to play the right way. When we finally made it we had a team capable of sustaining top flight football without any significant changes.

Burley should have got us up sooner than he did, also we really should have avoided the play off final in 2000 by gaining automatic promotion.

Looking ahead KMc doesn’t have the time, that Burley had , to achieve success. We need a winning mentality and we need to avoid taking risks. Risks like KMc took Tuesday on any other day the team selected would have won but you should NEVER make wholesale changes.

We should play our best possible team each and every game hopefully KMc has learned from Tuesday only time will tell. Not long to wait for the Trophy game against Northampton

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

99/2000 on 13:16 - Aug 11 with 595 viewsbluefunk

99/2000 on 10:54 - Aug 11 by chicoazul

We need all of them to get into double figures this year, and more besides. Looking at Burns’ career last year was very much a one off for goals. We need at least two more players to get well into the goals too. I don’t see it I’m afraid. Especially with what seems to be a strongly risk averse formation and set up. We may 1-0 our way to promotion and I hope so but it’s unlikely.

Strongly risk averse formation?? There’s times when we have only 2 men on the half way line and one of those might be Evans as Woolfy or Edmundson has gone forward. We also regularly see the rest in and around the penalty area, wing backs bombing on beyond the front 3 and Morsy arriving late in the box. You may have a point about a goal scorer but a lack of goals it doesn’t come from the formation.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024