Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MK Dons then 03:37 - Aug 11 with 2982 viewsquirkie

Just missed out on promotion, probably the best footballing side in league one last season.

A few departures, not sure what incomers they had but not a great start for them, so

I'm thinking we are going to hit the back of the net a few times, 3-1 will do.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

MK Dons then on 05:25 - Aug 11 with 2522 viewsKieran_Knows

I think they’ll struggle this season, personally.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

MK Dons then on 05:42 - Aug 11 with 2513 viewsColchesterBlue1985

What worries me is our record generally after “resting” players for cup games is atrocious. That defeat on Tuesday will have affected confidence and belief no doubt about it.

When the fixtures came out I thought 7 points from the first 3 league games would be decent however I wouldn’t now be totally disappointed with 5.
MK Dons then on 06:44 - Aug 11 with 2425 viewsdirtyboy

MK Dons then on 05:25 - Aug 11 by Kieran_Knows

They’ve lost two but, like us, absolutely dominated possession and been unlucky.

Not an easy game, would take a draw and then hope to win the next three
MK Dons then on 08:55 - Aug 11 with 2118 viewsjayessess

MK Dons then on 06:44 - Aug 11 by dirtyboy

They’ve lost two but, like us, absolutely dominated possession and been unlucky.

Good context for us thinking we're toothless, they're yet to score, have taken fewer than half as many shots as us, generated 1.3 expected goals to our 3.4.

Their starting XI against Wednesday only had three players who finished last season with them (O'Hora, Lewington and Cumming), so barely worth thinking about what they were like last season, it isn't the same team.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

MK Dons then on 09:00 - Aug 11 with 2097 viewsMullet

Looks like it, they've lost star players, good loans and not replaced them and not spent the big fees either. I wonder if they'll give Manning enough to panic buy if they lose to us Saturday.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

MK Dons then on 09:35 - Aug 11 with 1959 viewsitfcsuth

It is going to be so difficult for them to replicate what they did last year, and virtually impossible to replace Scott Twine.

When you look at the players departed from last year; Darling, Twine, Kesler-Hayden, Kasumu, Coventry, Parrott, Corbeanu, Wickham

Its just such a huge turnover, and such a good crop of players to try and replace.

I'm not sure they'll dent the top half this year.
MK Dons then on 09:47 - Aug 11 with 1918 viewsThe_Realist_09

Looking at the stats of their games this season, it should be a really tight game with a lot of the ball in midfield for both teams.

Could easily be decided by a moment of real quality or bit of luck.
MK Dons then on 09:52 - Aug 11 with 1896 viewsdirtyboy

MK Dons then on 08:55 - Aug 11 by jayessess

Good context for us thinking we're toothless, they're yet to score, have taken fewer than half as many shots as us, generated 1.3 expected goals to our 3.4.

Their starting XI against Wednesday only had three players who finished last season with them (O'Hora, Lewington and Cumming), so barely worth thinking about what they were like last season, it isn't the same team.

My thought process is that they, like us, are very well coached in how they play and set up to control the ball.

Given the turnover in players and how they still dominated play, with alarming similarities to us in terms of finishing, I suspect they'll start to make things work at some point, just too well coached to be rubbish all season.

Losing Twine a massive blow, but Manning will get them moving at some point.

Given how they play and how we play, it's going to take a real moment of quality to get the ball in the net.

I can see 0-0 written all over this, but as I say, we'll win 3 on the trot afterwards and everyone will forget this game.
Login to get fewer ads

MK Dons then on 09:56 - Aug 11 with 1881 viewsSomethingBlue

Louie Barry will doubtless do something good and they will move the ball smartly enough to cause us real problems at times. But they are certainly weaker at the moment and this looks a good time to play them, maybe winning 2-1.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

MK Dons then on 10:15 - Aug 11 with 1818 viewsclive_baker

MK Dons then on 09:35 - Aug 11 by itfcsuth

It is going to be so difficult for them to replicate what they did last year, and virtually impossible to replace Scott Twine.

When you look at the players departed from last year; Darling, Twine, Kesler-Hayden, Kasumu, Coventry, Parrott, Corbeanu, Wickham

Its just such a huge turnover, and such a good crop of players to try and replace.

Thought Corbeanu looked dangerous against us at their place last season, was glad to see him go off. As you say they've lost some good players so they're probably finiding their feet a little with so much change. Darling and Twine being the obvious 2 departures who have got their chance in the Championship. Kasamu too.

Should be a good game, wasn't much between the sides 6 months ago, 2 good footballing sides although not a pitch that lent itself to that last time out. At home I would think we should be winning though, the sort of team we need to be taking 4 points off over the season.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

MK Dons then on 10:18 - Aug 11 with 1807 viewsBig_Jase

I think the replacements they have signed are no where near at the level of the players they have lost. They are currently leading the line with Will Grigg, and Louie Barry in development terms if a couple of years behind Parrott. I think they are a mid table team at best, we win 2-0 Saturday.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

MK Dons then on 10:25 - Aug 11 with 1774 viewsjayessess

MK Dons then on 09:52 - Aug 11 by dirtyboy

My thought process is that they, like us, are very well coached in how they play and set up to control the ball.

Given the turnover in players and how they still dominated play, with alarming similarities to us in terms of finishing, I suspect they'll start to make things work at some point, just too well coached to be rubbish all season.

Losing Twine a massive blow, but Manning will get them moving at some point.

Given how they play and how we play, it's going to take a real moment of quality to get the ball in the net.

I can see 0-0 written all over this, but as I say, we'll win 3 on the trot afterwards and everyone will forget this game.

I think Manning's likely a good coach, but he's still a very new one, so no guarantees that his process works as well this season as last.

They've dominated possession so far this season, but that might partially be because they conceded early to two teams who tend to build up fast and defend relatively deep (Wednesday were amongst the more direct of the top half sides). I wonder if they'll find it quite so easy to keep the ball against us.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 11:03]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

MK Dons then on 10:26 - Aug 11 with 1773 viewsitfcsuth

MK Dons then on 10:15 - Aug 11 by clive_baker

Thought Corbeanu looked dangerous against us at their place last season, was glad to see him go off. As you say they've lost some good players so they're probably finiding their feet a little with so much change. Darling and Twine being the obvious 2 departures who have got their chance in the Championship. Kasamu too.

Should be a good game, wasn't much between the sides 6 months ago, 2 good footballing sides although not a pitch that lent itself to that last time out. At home I would think we should be winning though, the sort of team we need to be taking 4 points off over the season.

When you look at the players I mentioned, exc. Wickham, all are currently with a Championship or PL side. Kesler-Hayden/Coventry likely to get Championship loans before close of the window.

It shows the real quality they had, and if I am being honest, I don't think they've replaced it with the same level at all, but they have a good coach who I am sure will develop this squad into a decent side, just not the same levels as last year.

Would be a great 3 points on Saturday, would start to feel like momentum is building, we can't afford a slow start like last season, the catch up was far too much.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 10:27]
MK Dons then on 10:57 - Aug 11 with 1681 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Feeling optimistic, but will no doubt be a tough game. I'm hoping for our first clean sheet, so 2-0 win for me.

Edit: just realised we're at home.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 10:59]

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

MK Dons then on 12:33 - Aug 11 with 1542 viewsNthQldITFC

MK Dons then on 09:35 - Aug 11 by itfcsuth

Which of those departed players do you think will be the biggest loss, Darling?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

MK Dons then on 12:39 - Aug 11 with 1513 viewsitfcsuth

MK Dons then on 12:33 - Aug 11 by NthQldITFC

Which of those departed players do you think will be the biggest loss, Darling?

Brilliant!

In all seriousness, Scott Twine.

To replace 20 goals and 13 assists on their budget will be virtually impossible.

Even if Scott Twine had stayed I'm not sure he would have replicated his own form again.
MK Dons then on 13:17 - Aug 11 with 1421 viewsJ2BLUE

Taking a point at home to a weakened rival who have been beaten twice already this season is the kind of attitude that will see us miss out on automatic promotion.

We are at home and we have a great squad. The target should be 3 points. Thankfully McKenna won’t have the same attitude about taking a point.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

MK Dons then on 13:18 - Aug 11 with 1420 viewsKieran_Knows

Take a draw? Come off it.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

MK Dons then on 13:28 - Aug 11 with 1368 viewsVic

In the past it's the sort of game we'd lose (how many struggling teams have we lost to!). So until it's clear that this season those results are not going to happen I'm still a bit nervous. For me this is a good game to win and so start to build a decent start to the season. A draw wouldn't be the end of the world, whilst a defeat would have my doubts start to resurface.

This is the sort of team that we really have to be beating at FPR if we're to have confidence about this season.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

MK Dons then on 13:35 - Aug 11 with 1350 viewsdirtyboy

MK Dons then on 13:17 - Aug 11 by J2BLUE

Taking a point at home to a weakened rival who have been beaten twice already this season is the kind of attitude that will see us miss out on automatic promotion.

We are at home and we have a great squad. The target should be 3 points. Thankfully McKenna won’t have the same attitude about taking a point.

lol! I'm the forever optimist here, but all i'm saying is that if we draw, I won't be coming on here to post McKenna must go.....which you can bet your life on that some would.

Of course McKenna will go for the win, I'm just mindful that it's early in the season and things don't always go as anticipated.

All i'm saying is that it's football and you get upsets, but over 46 games, you finish where you deserve to and I fully expect that to be booming close to top 2.
MK Dons then on 14:04 - Aug 11 with 1267 viewsVaughan8

MK Dons then on 05:42 - Aug 11 by ColchesterBlue1985

What worries me is our record generally after “resting” players for cup games is atrocious. That defeat on Tuesday will have affected confidence and belief no doubt about it.

When the fixtures came out I thought 7 points from the first 3 league games would be decent however I wouldn’t now be totally disappointed with 5.

Unbeaten isn't bad, but I think 2 draws at home wouldn't be great.

Need to win Saturday tio make sure we are near the top from the start!
MK Dons then on 14:47 - Aug 11 with 1215 viewsdirtyboy

MK Dons then on 14:04 - Aug 11 by Vaughan8

Unbeaten isn't bad, but I think 2 draws at home wouldn't be great.

Need to win Saturday tio make sure we are near the top from the start!

It would be great, brilliant, good start etc etc, but we don't 'need' to win and it wouldn't necessarily impact our overall season.

The expectation of needing to win is exactly what gets some fans in a meltdown when we don't.

If we lost 3 in a row, that perhaps required a need to win, but what if that was after winning 10 in a row? Less meaningful right? Still important I grant.

So with such a small sample of games so far, the impact feels more important but it's not.

Context is everything.
MK Dons then on 14:49 - Aug 11 with 1210 viewshype313

Yep I'm with you on that, to lose one is bad, to lose 2-3 is dire.

Having said that, fully expect them to slap us 0-3 this weekend.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

MK Dons then on 15:01 - Aug 11 with 1174 viewsTractorTom5

Dominating possession doesn’t win games I’m afraid
Hitting the back of the net does so fingers crossed McKennas working on that this week
MK Dons then on 15:08 - Aug 11 with 1149 viewsMullet

MK Dons then on 14:49 - Aug 11 by hype313

Yep I'm with you on that, to lose one is bad, to lose 2-3 is dire.

Having said that, fully expect them to slap us 0-3 this weekend.

Coward! I'll be in the Churchmans tutting very loudly if that happens

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024