Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question about rotation/resting players. 11:17 - Aug 11 with 544 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Can anyone think of a series of games where it's had a positive effect?

We've done it in cup games for a long while and it never seems to make us any more competitive or likely to get promoted

I get squad players need game time, but surely we could change 4 or 5 not 9 or 10.

Ladapo for instance would benefit from a goal, and I'd think him playing 60 mins and gettig a goal would have set him up nicely for MK.

I just don't think (and this is the important bit) the way WE do it works. It's too wholesale and doesn't appear to benefit the players that play and appears to have no positive and (arguably) a borderline negative on the players that don't.

Also given that these games we throw away come early in the seaaon, surely giving the vast majority of your first team more game time should help them work on their partnerships and game understanding at a time when they need to be cementing it.

The 5 sub rule also means you can take a chunk of them off when we've (hopefully) scored ourselves into a winning position.

We just keep trying the same approach and failing. That's not smart.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 11:20]

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Question about rotation/resting players. on 11:19 - Aug 11 with 522 viewsbournemouthblue

There must be few to zero examples of it working at Ipswich in a cup scenario?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Question about rotation/resting players. on 11:22 - Aug 11 with 500 viewsGuthrum

Agree.

But, as I've said before, there are limited circumstances where a Manager can field most or all of his reserves to give them game time in a competitive - even friendly - environment. Can you blame him for using things like the League Cup for that?

It is, as you say, unfortunate that it falls so early in the season.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Question about rotation/resting players. on 11:23 - Aug 11 with 488 viewshomer_123

Question about rotation/resting players. on 11:22 - Aug 11 by Guthrum

Agree.

But, as I've said before, there are limited circumstances where a Manager can field most or all of his reserves to give them game time in a competitive - even friendly - environment. Can you blame him for using things like the League Cup for that?

It is, as you say, unfortunate that it falls so early in the season.

Indeed - couple that with a large squad and we are stymied.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Question about rotation/resting players. on 11:43 - Aug 11 with 465 viewsjayessess

Not particularly, no.

Our record last season:
EFL Cup Round 1: Reserves lost cup tie, lost following league game.
EFL Trophy 1: Reserves lost, won following league game
EFL Trophy 2: Reserves won, won following league game
FA Cup Round 1: 1st team drew, drew following cup game
EFL Trophy 3: Reserves drew, drew following league game.
FA Cup Replay Round 1: Mixed team won, lost following league game
EFL Trophy Round 2: Reserves lost, drew following cup game
FA Cup Round 2: First team drew, lost following league game
FA Cup Round 2 Replay: Mixed team lost, drew following league game

We won two league games after cup ties, both in the wake of playing rotated XIs in the EFL Trophy.

We played our strongest XI in cup ties twice and didn't win either the cup ties or the following matches.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Question about rotation/resting players. on 11:45 - Aug 11 with 463 viewswaveneyblue

Surely we should really go for the Pizza cup. I don't care whether its a rubbish competition, embarrassing blah blah blah

Its a competitive fixture and a chance to play at Wembley which lets face it, we would all want to go to.

(When I say go for - I mean 5/6/7 changes maximum - not 10 !)
Question about rotation/resting players. on 11:56 - Aug 11 with 430 viewsPioneerBlue

I’m not certain fans ever see the benefits in the way we go wholesale rotation. I presume the coaching team see some benefits otherwise why bother:

1-sharing minutes, second XI more motivated to keep putting in effort every day on training pitch
2-not risking first XI
3-second XI more ready to step up in event of frost XI injuries
4-keeping first XI minutes down and ensuring they are fresh

There may be other benefits

None of these benefits can I value until the rotation player is needed or the first XI look better over next game or 2!

In any competitive cup game, I would prefer to see a core, say Wolf, Burgess, Morsy, Evans, Ladapo given 60mins, with others second XI supporting. You’d think second XI would get more by playing alongside first XI players anyway.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Question about rotation/resting players. on 12:34 - Aug 11 with 411 viewsWestcountryblue

Resting both players was absolutely the right call.

Currently Ball is injured and behind in terms of his fitness, so an injury leaves us short there. Likewise, we are yet to bring in another striker, so an injury to Ladapo leaves us with just Jackson, who you feel is more suited coming off the bench if he is playing up top, on his own.
Question about rotation/resting players. on 12:40 - Aug 11 with 398 viewsJakeITFC

What is the benefit of going through?

It's unlikely we'd go on a serious run in this competition, we have at least four other cup games to come before the new year and we will have a congested calendar whatever happens.

We rotated and lost, but so did every Championship team that played a lower division side on the same night we played. It really isn't the disaster it is being made out to be.
Login to get fewer ads

Question about rotation/resting players. on 12:54 - Aug 11 with 379 viewsMookamoo

If we had played Evans on Tuesday and he picked up another knock, would you be happy that Harper did what he did vs MK Dons? Same with Lapado. Its just not worth the risk for what, a home tie vs Brentford? Plus, the major advantage we have is the squad size so we have to give the fringe players a chance when possible and not jump all over them if they mess up.

We did more than enough to win on Tuesday. It was just a case of inexperience in Humpreys case and incompetence in Harpers that did for us.
Question about rotation/resting players. on 13:15 - Aug 11 with 361 viewsChrisd

Do smaller clubs not fall into the trap and look at Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea, Spurs etc do it , so they should? The reality is we aren't those clubs and we are a long way short of them. I was hoping KM was only going to make a handful of changes from the FGR game and put out a very strong side so we can keep on building from the first two league games - after all, players want to play rather than train and winning breeds confidence. Our managers seem to make the mistake of putting out teams in the cup competitions that 'should be' good enough rather than they are. I'm still a little disappointed from Tuesday night's defeat. Lets hope we get the win on Saturday because if we don't then those that were saying Tuesday night's result doesn't matter will suddenly be changing their tune.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 13:17]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024