Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Radio Suffolk ... no more 16:29 - Aug 11 with 10210 viewsDJR

as the Proclaimers might say.

I emailed Marcus Nash first and then Scott Paul to request the club retain BBC Radio Suffolk for the audio coverage, just as Forest TV last season used BBC Radio Nottingham for the audio coverage last season.

The following response from Scott Paul (thanks, but no thanks) indicates they won't be shifted whatever we say. It's clearly engagement with the fans but only on their terms. And the reference to a careful process of consideration hides the fact that they didn't even consider fans who might be listening on audio only until it was pointed out to them.

"Whilst I understand your disappointment at the switch away from BBC Radio Suffolk commentary on iFollow, I do thank you for your continued support over this, past, and seasons to come.

As with anything of this nature, a careful process of consideration was completed before the Club decided to proceed with an in-house commentary team. Chiefly, this decision was formed due to the phase-out of iFollow that is planned towards the end of this campaign, when the Club plans to introduce TownTV.

The move away from BBC Radio Suffolk has allowed us to introduce a more contemporary show presentation, where co-commentary from current players and recent ex-players allows the Club to provide a unique voice/perspective to proceedings. In turn , this will enable us to convey more key Club messages to a greater extent than we would be permitted via BBC Radio Suffolk

As you will have noticed from comments during my recent interview, Glenn Wheeler (our chief commentator) has been briefed to commentate with a more radio audio-descriptive style in future, which will only improve as he voices more iFollow presentations. I am sure that people soon become more accustomed to his commentary style and be able to enjoy the Ipswich games that he brings to life.

Many thanks for your email and observations."

[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 16:33]
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:35 - Aug 11 with 5014 viewsZXBlue

Unfortunately his "commentary style" is poor, and even the more descriptive versin last week was well short of being useful for audio only listeners.
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:39 - Aug 11 with 4964 viewsjayessess

Realistically the club isn't going to and can't just abandon a multi year plan off the back of the odd letter of complaint. "Engagement" can't ever mean "we change everything every time we get an email", that's an impossible way to run a football club with 10,000s of supporters!

That said, the radio seems to be a bit of an afterthought anyway, I do wonder why they can't have the BBC Suffolk feed as a possible option to choose amongst the video and club audio? Unless the BBC makes them pay a lot of money for it...
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 16:53]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:49 - Aug 11 with 4880 viewsStewartIsNowLimping

Some don't like change, and that's fair enough. But this feels like a bit of moaning for the sake of moaning. Give the new team a chance.
Brenner has had a tough job commentating on some poor years worth of football and I really haven't envied him in recent years. Especially having to speak to Lambert on the weekly. That said, its got to the point where he sucks the fun out of a goal with his commentary, and you question whether he wants the oppo to win.

I'm all for change here.
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:54 - Aug 11 with 4818 viewshoppy

"In turn , this will enable us to convey more key Club messages to a greater extent than we would be permitted via BBC Radio Suffolk"

But it's match commentary... the impartiality of an independent broadcaster is of far better value to the listener than an in-house club commentator who might toe the club line compared with picking up on errors etc.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:55 - Aug 11 with 4802 viewsjayessess

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:54 - Aug 11 by hoppy

"In turn , this will enable us to convey more key Club messages to a greater extent than we would be permitted via BBC Radio Suffolk"

But it's match commentary... the impartiality of an independent broadcaster is of far better value to the listener than an in-house club commentator who might toe the club line compared with picking up on errors etc.

key messages is likely a euphemism for "selling stuff", I would imagine

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:56 - Aug 11 with 4797 viewsjeera

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:49 - Aug 11 by StewartIsNowLimping

Some don't like change, and that's fair enough. But this feels like a bit of moaning for the sake of moaning. Give the new team a chance.
Brenner has had a tough job commentating on some poor years worth of football and I really haven't envied him in recent years. Especially having to speak to Lambert on the weekly. That said, its got to the point where he sucks the fun out of a goal with his commentary, and you question whether he wants the oppo to win.

I'm all for change here.

"this feels like a bit of moaning for the sake of moaning"

No it isn't.

It's the complete opposite of that.

You've clearly not taken much notice of what people have been saying at all if that's your take. It's like you decided that before looking into it.

Which unfortunately is what the club seem to have also done.

That the commentary isn't fit for radio is a fact, not people moaning for the sake of anything. For Christ's sake. The arrogance.

When will businesses learn to listen to their customers and not assume they know best?

I don't use the audio and it makes no difference to me, but let's not dismiss the reason people have complained which is perfectly legitimate.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:02 - Aug 11 with 4722 viewsblueislander

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:56 - Aug 11 by jeera

No it isn't.

You've clearly not taken much notice of what people have been saying at all if that's your take. It's like you decided that before looking into it.

That the commentary isn't fit for radio is a fact, not people moaning for the sake of anything. For Christ's sake. The arrogance.

When will businesses learn to listen to their customers and not assume they know best?

I don't use the audio and it makes no difference to me, but let's not dismiss the reason people have complained which is perfectly legitimate.

This. I expect that I shall get a similar response.
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:04 - Aug 11 with 4703 viewsjaykay

No it isn't.

i wonder who this poster used to be

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Login to get fewer ads

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:04 - Aug 11 with 4702 viewsjeera

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:02 - Aug 11 by blueislander

This. I expect that I shall get a similar response.

I cannot even begin to understand why Dark Horse [or anyone] would take umbrage with that.

It's a simple fact backed by many people who feel one service doesn't fit the bill of another.

It's not even criticism aimed at the individuals. It's how it is. The styles don't match.

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:05 - Aug 11 with 4692 viewsDarkHorse

No it isn't.

People moaned when RS did commentary because Brenner sounded excited when a goal went in, now they're moaning that we've got rid of them.

Moan, moan, moan.
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:06 - Aug 11 with 4678 viewsKeno

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 16:39 - Aug 11 by jayessess

Realistically the club isn't going to and can't just abandon a multi year plan off the back of the odd letter of complaint. "Engagement" can't ever mean "we change everything every time we get an email", that's an impossible way to run a football club with 10,000s of supporters!

That said, the radio seems to be a bit of an afterthought anyway, I do wonder why they can't have the BBC Suffolk feed as a possible option to choose amongst the video and club audio? Unless the BBC makes them pay a lot of money for it...
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 16:53]

There has been significantly more than "the odd letter of complaint"

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:11 - Aug 11 with 4629 viewsjeera

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:05 - Aug 11 by DarkHorse

People moaned when RS did commentary because Brenner sounded excited when a goal went in, now they're moaning that we've got rid of them.

Moan, moan, moan.

That doesn't even make any sense. All people are the same person are they?

Where the hell is the context in that?

I'd expect better than that from you. It's like someone's hacked your account.

It's not difficult to understand the two styles are different. Really not hard at all.

Nothing to do with fecking moaning ffs. Read the threads and messages on the matter before posting this absolute shallow, irritating, irrelevant rubbish please.

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:14 - Aug 11 with 4604 viewsjeera

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:04 - Aug 11 by jaykay

i wonder who this poster used to be

DH has been around for years.

But this has annoyed me.

Unnecessary dig at people who have entirely good reason to be unhappy with the service.

This is the problem on here at times, people leap in with an opinion despite having no idea what they're on about.

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:18 - Aug 11 with 4559 viewsclive_baker

My dad bought the audio pass for FGR.

I hadn't better repeat how he described the coverage, but it wasn't pretty. Reckons at no point during the game did he know where the ball was or what was happening. It's rare that he would have to buy a pass as he's normally at PR or at home in Suffolk and tuning in to BBC radio, but he happened to be away on Saturday. Said he'll never bother with it again, reckons it was the worst radio coverage of a football match that he's ever heard.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:20 - Aug 11 with 4547 viewsDJR

Moan, moan, moan.

I've never moaned about Brenner. I doubt there is a better commentary service anywhere in the country with the likes of Brenner, Graham Mac, Mick Mills and Alex Mathie involved. I also feel an emotional attachment to the Radio Suffolk commentary which takes me back to my times growing up in Ipswich, something that Town TV with its commercial bent will never emulate.
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:21 - Aug 11 with 4521 viewspointofblue

We have to accept what we are to the club now and it’s customers who can be flogged stuff, not fans who support the side.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:21 - Aug 11 with 4528 viewsWalkyWonderland

On the basis BBCRS isn't part of the clubs' subscription service any longer, does that mean their matchday commentary will be available to all across BBC Sounds etc? It was available for the cup game Tuesday which made a nice change. I wonder if that will continue?
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:23 - Aug 11 with 4499 viewsIllinoisblue

That “more contemporary show presentation” he mentions. Is that what the 15 minutes of dead air at half time is supposed to be. It’s early and they may get it right in time, but the club have ballsed up the transition.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:24 - Aug 11 with 4488 viewsclive_baker

Am I right in saying if you buy a video pass you can choose to listen to home or away commentary? If that's still the case, why can't you do the same with an audio pass? I'm sure people would rather listen to Radio Suffolk of course but perhaps listening to the oppositions regional BBC coverage would be better than what the club are serving up in house?

Just a thought. I'm not too clued up with ifollow etc.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:25 - Aug 11 with 4472 viewsDJR

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:18 - Aug 11 by clive_baker

My dad bought the audio pass for FGR.

I hadn't better repeat how he described the coverage, but it wasn't pretty. Reckons at no point during the game did he know where the ball was or what was happening. It's rare that he would have to buy a pass as he's normally at PR or at home in Suffolk and tuning in to BBC radio, but he happened to be away on Saturday. Said he'll never bother with it again, reckons it was the worst radio coverage of a football match that he's ever heard.

Yes, it was shocking. And the 15 minutes silence at half time made me think my 4G was down. As I emailed Scott Paul, the impression I got was that the whole thing was being done on the cheap, and I told him that I wouldn't be buying an audio pass again.
Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:28 - Aug 11 with 4427 viewsDJR

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:21 - Aug 11 by WalkyWonderland

On the basis BBCRS isn't part of the clubs' subscription service any longer, does that mean their matchday commentary will be available to all across BBC Sounds etc? It was available for the cup game Tuesday which made a nice change. I wonder if that will continue?

It would be nice to think so. I wasn't expecting Tuesday's game to be available, because a couple of day's earlier the programme page was saying the programme was not available online.
Oh ffs on 17:33 - Aug 11 with 4394 viewsDyland

I'm all for change here.

This odd 'Brenner wants the oppo to win' trope rears its head every week and is the about the only thing that makes me long for the close season on here.

On a related note I like RS's 'biased' but fair, and above all non sales commentary, and Brenner and Mick do a sterling job (notwithstanding the latter's comedy tone of voice, which he can't help), but hey ho. As long as you are happy this change is to advertise and flog all things Towen during the match commentary. Fair enough if that's your thing, and anyway maybe it will be excellent with the different guests etc. somewhere down the line.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:43 - Aug 11 with 4324 viewsmonty_radio

Moan, moan, moan.

I think you'll find that those who were pro Brenner far outweighed the opposite. Don't remember if he was criticised for celebrating, but I do recall that some slated him for giving credit to good opposition play.

In the dark Lockdown days I had the misfortune to listen to club-supporting commentary (Accrington springs to mind). Personally, I have nothing but admiration for Brenner's work as a first-rate example of being knowlegeable, fair yet clearly a fan. I don't want my commentary sounding like some bloke two rows behind who cries foul everry time one of our own is touched - and some of those i-Follow away commentaries weren't far short of that mouthy sterotype.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:45 - Aug 11 with 4304 viewsRyorry

I'm all for change here.

Let me rephrase that for you -

Some people don't like the enforced change which means they now have no idea what's happening on the pitch when their team are playing crucial games in the league they're hoping to get promoted from, even though those same people have paid £45 to receive a commentary which is supposed to tell them exactly what's happening on the pitch.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Radio Suffolk ... no more on 17:47 - Aug 11 with 4286 viewsStewartIsNowLimping

I'm all for change here.

Moaning for the sake of moaning was a touch antagonistic, apologies.

But I still think the club need to be given time to get it right. Writing it off after three games of this season seems harsh. They're also proving to be receptive to feedback, so you'd like to think the product will improve in time.

Yes it gives them a platform to sell stuff, but it also allows the club to promote itself. E.g. the work in the community, which can't be viewed as a bad thing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024