Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. 08:31 - Aug 14 with 5677 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jerry Sadowitz banned from the Edinburgh fringe after calling Rishi Sunak the “P” word and getting his cock out.

Seems to be getting support based on the view that yiu know what you are going to get when watching Sadowitz.

On the one hand they are right. You know he’s going to be outrageously offensive. Don’t go if you’re easily offended.

On the other hand, why should black and Asian members of the audience be made to feel uncomfortable because someone is making jokes based on the colour of their skin.

Should comedy based in racial stereotypes be consigned to the 1970’s or could context be a mitigating factor?

[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 8:39]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 12:42 - Aug 14 with 1458 viewsStevieH

Don’t agree with censorship.
Give everyone enough rope and the zeitgeist will decide whether people are shunned or celebrated.
Look at Nick Griffin. Once he was given plenty of air time and taken seriously as a politician his popularity crashed to almost nothing.

Allow the audience to decide. I don’t need a theatre to protect me from nasty men using nasty language.
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 13:15 - Aug 14 with 1421 viewsTrequartista

He's one of Stewart Lee's favourite acts so a good one for the liberals to tie themselves in knots about. Have only seen him on tv at least 25 years ago and he was hilarious then and a very good magician.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 13:43 - Aug 14 with 1372 viewsMeadowlark

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 08:47 - Aug 14 by Keno

If you juxtapose two unrelated events this weekend it could crystallise the argument

Rushdie writes something, which he has every reason to do, that meant people found offensive and is attacked by someone who was offended, which is totally wrong

A person who is trying to be shockingly funny says something deliberately offensive and person are questioning whether it’s right to stop him

No the two events aren’t related but if the “comic” wants to be offensive for the sake of it you have to question whether others have right to be offended?

Freedom of speech is worth upholding but does comes with potential consequences. If I am free to offend are others free to react?

It a very huge gray area!

The spelling of grey is a grey area....
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 14:12 - Aug 14 with 1347 viewsXYZ

Should comedy have boundaries?

Is it OK to sit on the fence?
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 14:15 - Aug 14 with 1342 viewssolomon

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 12:23 - Aug 14 by pointofblue

I’m more concerned that people find Jerry Sadowitz’s ‘comedy’ humorous. Having to rely on racism and exposure suggests a lack of talent to me, but guess it’s very subjective.

Anyone who finds racism funny are in all probability racist themselves. I can’t believe (well it’s the UK so I probably can) some people are subjective when choosing which forms of racism they want to defend.
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 14:58 - Aug 14 with 1276 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If it had been anti-Semitic instead of racist would you have been OK with it?

What if it had incited terror?

Clearly there is (rightly) a limit to free speech in this country.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 15:52 - Aug 14 with 1249 viewssolomon

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 14:58 - Aug 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

If it had been anti-Semitic instead of racist would you have been OK with it?

What if it had incited terror?

Clearly there is (rightly) a limit to free speech in this country.

No, and I think any right minded person would be offended by anyone who’s used another’s ethnicity for comedic purposes. As I’ve said before we in the UK seem to have some sort of sliding scale when it comes to racism and who can and can’t be offended. There’s an easy rule for everyone to follow it’s just don’t be racist, simple really.
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 15:55 - Aug 14 with 1235 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 15:52 - Aug 14 by solomon

No, and I think any right minded person would be offended by anyone who’s used another’s ethnicity for comedic purposes. As I’ve said before we in the UK seem to have some sort of sliding scale when it comes to racism and who can and can’t be offended. There’s an easy rule for everyone to follow it’s just don’t be racist, simple really.

Absolutely and you are consistent here.

I just find it remarkable that GB feels the need to ask the question. I would be amazed if he had phrased the question like this had it been an anti-Semitic slur instead of a racist one.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 15:56]

Login to get fewer ads

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 16:01 - Aug 14 with 1194 viewssolomon

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 15:55 - Aug 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

I just find it remarkable that GB feels the need to ask the question. I would be amazed if he had phrased the question like this had it been an anti-Semitic slur instead of a racist one.

I think that’s harsh, his last but 1 paragraph sum up his thoughts, to which mine align 100%
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 16:02]
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 16:05 - Aug 14 with 1163 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 16:01 - Aug 14 by solomon

I think that’s harsh, his last but 1 paragraph sum up his thoughts, to which mine align 100%
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 16:02]

Maybe I am incorrectly reading them as genuine questions rather than ones to which his answer is obvious.

I can't see him stating:

On the other hand, why should Jewish members of the audience be made to feel uncomfortable because someone is making jokes based on their ethnicity.

Should comedy based in Jewish stereotypes be consigned to the 1970’s or could context be a mitigating factor?

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 16:15 - Aug 14 with 1145 viewssolomon

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 16:05 - Aug 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

Maybe I am incorrectly reading them as genuine questions rather than ones to which his answer is obvious.

I can't see him stating:

On the other hand, why should Jewish members of the audience be made to feel uncomfortable because someone is making jokes based on their ethnicity.

Should comedy based in Jewish stereotypes be consigned to the 1970’s or could context be a mitigating factor?

Well this wasn’t about Jewish audience members , am sure GB would have given it equal treatment, as would I, if that had been the case.

Remember sadowitz is of Jewish decent himself, but this to me isn’t an issue, it’s his blatant racism and stereotyping of ethnicity that is a problem, trouble is some will make excuses for his behaviour, GB won’t.
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 16:47 - Aug 14 with 1102 viewsGlasgowBlue

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 15:55 - Aug 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

Sad to see you jump straight in for a gotcha moment rather than joining in what was a reasonable debate that has been conducted well by other posters without the need for point scoring. Although based in your past posting, not unexpected.

I gave two points of view from what would be opposing sides of the debate. I purposely didn’t give an opinion of my own and let that debate take place without prejudice.

I would add that in a previous thread about Holocaust jokes I gave two opposing but nuanced views. Unfortunately I’m in the Highlands for the next couple of days with no internet and barely getting 3G so I’m unable to look for the link.

I could of course go for my own gotcha moment and question why you have differentiate Ed between antisemitism and racism. Antisemitism is racism. It could be argued that somebody who differentiates between the two holds the view that antisemitism is a lesser form of racism. Personally, I find all racism vile. There isn’t a league table.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 16:55 - Aug 14 with 1081 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 16:47 - Aug 14 by GlasgowBlue

Sad to see you jump straight in for a gotcha moment rather than joining in what was a reasonable debate that has been conducted well by other posters without the need for point scoring. Although based in your past posting, not unexpected.

I gave two points of view from what would be opposing sides of the debate. I purposely didn’t give an opinion of my own and let that debate take place without prejudice.

I would add that in a previous thread about Holocaust jokes I gave two opposing but nuanced views. Unfortunately I’m in the Highlands for the next couple of days with no internet and barely getting 3G so I’m unable to look for the link.

I could of course go for my own gotcha moment and question why you have differentiate Ed between antisemitism and racism. Antisemitism is racism. It could be argued that somebody who differentiates between the two holds the view that antisemitism is a lesser form of racism. Personally, I find all racism vile. There isn’t a league table.

Apologies for not seeing you present both sides of the argument on anti-Semitism. I agree they are both vile which is why I was surprised to see you post a question as to whether comedy could excuse it.

No intention to point score, just genuinely surprised.

Enjoy your time in the Highlands.

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 17:26 - Aug 14 with 1058 viewsJakeITFC

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 14:15 - Aug 14 by solomon

Anyone who finds racism funny are in all probability racist themselves. I can’t believe (well it’s the UK so I probably can) some people are subjective when choosing which forms of racism they want to defend.

Is using racist words a sure fire way to say somebody is a racist? Context is surely important here (a more general point, I don't know what the fullness of what the comedian said in this instance).
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 18:12 - Aug 14 with 1021 viewssolomon

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 17:26 - Aug 14 by JakeITFC

Is using racist words a sure fire way to say somebody is a racist? Context is surely important here (a more general point, I don't know what the fullness of what the comedian said in this instance).

Really , are you serious ??
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 18:30 - Aug 14 with 996 viewsJakeITFC

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 18:12 - Aug 14 by solomon

Yes - are you saying that context isn’t important?
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 18:44 - Aug 14 with 972 viewslowhouseblue

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 18:12 - Aug 14 by solomon

on i'm sorry i haven't a clue today jack dee told the following joke (with apologies for the inept re-telling): there are lots of words in foreign languages for which english has no direct equivalent. for example, german has a single word which means 'a face that needs to be punched', while we need two words: michael gove.

does that joke mean that its jack dee's opinion that michael gove should be punched in the face?
does its broadcast mean that the bbc considers the opinion that michael gove needs to be punched in the face is an acceptable opinion?
does the joke amount to an incitement to violence?

clearly the answers to all 3 questions is no, because its a joke told by a comedian with the intent to amuse. but it's easy for us to accept that because it's a joke which is congruent with our own presumptions, which doesn't challenge our views, and which gives us the nice warm feeling that everyone in the audience agrees with our worldview.

but not all comedy can be like that - sometimes it has to challenge and in so doing offend. great. free speech includes defending stuff, within the law, which annoys us, offends us and which we find uncomfortable.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 18:55 - Aug 14 with 942 viewssolomon

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 18:30 - Aug 14 by JakeITFC

Yes - are you saying that context isn’t important?

There is NO context for using racial slurs, no one should use them EVER. I cant believe I’m having to say this.
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 18:59 - Aug 14 with 910 viewslowhouseblue

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 18:55 - Aug 14 by solomon

There is NO context for using racial slurs, no one should use them EVER. I cant believe I’m having to say this.

can you quote a racist using them if your intent, and the effect of ,your joke is to disparage the racist? or does the sound of the word matter more than your intent?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 19:04 - Aug 14 with 876 viewsTrequartista

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 18:55 - Aug 14 by solomon

It has been proven in court (Frankie Boyle vs Daily Mirror?) that it is ok in the right context e.g. you are clearly mimicking a racist.

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 19:45 - Aug 14 with 815 viewssolomon

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 19:04 - Aug 14 by Trequartista

It has been proven in court (Frankie Boyle vs Daily Mirror?) that it is ok in the right context e.g. you are clearly mimicking a racist.

I can manage to go through life using no racist words no matter the context, it’s really quite easy .
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 19:48 - Aug 14 with 803 viewssolomon

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 18:59 - Aug 14 by lowhouseblue

can you quote a racist using them if your intent, and the effect of ,your joke is to disparage the racist? or does the sound of the word matter more than your intent?

The sound is everything, I’ve been called many things many times they hurt as much now as they did the first time.
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 19:51 - Aug 14 with 794 viewslowhouseblue

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 19:48 - Aug 14 by solomon

The sound is everything, I’ve been called many things many times they hurt as much now as they did the first time.

ok. should we also not say words that include these sounds within them? a ban on the word 'packing' perhaps? sounds are actually quite dull things without meaning or intent.

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 20:01 - Aug 14 with 774 viewssolomon

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 19:51 - Aug 14 by lowhouseblue

ok. should we also not say words that include these sounds within them? a ban on the word 'packing' perhaps? sounds are actually quite dull things without meaning or intent.

Sorry but now you’re being extremely daft.

If you’ve ever been on the end of discriminatory words you know where I’m coming from.
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 23:14 - Aug 14 with 665 viewsTrequartista

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024