Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. 08:31 - Aug 14 with 5660 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jerry Sadowitz banned from the Edinburgh fringe after calling Rishi Sunak the “P” word and getting his cock out.

Seems to be getting support based on the view that yiu know what you are going to get when watching Sadowitz.

On the one hand they are right. You know he’s going to be outrageously offensive. Don’t go if you’re easily offended.

On the other hand, why should black and Asian members of the audience be made to feel uncomfortable because someone is making jokes based on the colour of their skin.

Should comedy based in racial stereotypes be consigned to the 1970’s or could context be a mitigating factor?

[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 8:39]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 23:28 - Aug 14 with 529 viewsTrequartista

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 19:45 - Aug 14 by solomon

I can manage to go through life using no racist words no matter the context, it’s really quite easy .

Me too, but I'm not an actor nor a comedian.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 21:09 - Aug 17 with 330 viewsSeablu

Should comedy have boundaries? Discuss. on 16:47 - Aug 14 by GlasgowBlue

Sad to see you jump straight in for a gotcha moment rather than joining in what was a reasonable debate that has been conducted well by other posters without the need for point scoring. Although based in your past posting, not unexpected.

I gave two points of view from what would be opposing sides of the debate. I purposely didn’t give an opinion of my own and let that debate take place without prejudice.

I would add that in a previous thread about Holocaust jokes I gave two opposing but nuanced views. Unfortunately I’m in the Highlands for the next couple of days with no internet and barely getting 3G so I’m unable to look for the link.

I could of course go for my own gotcha moment and question why you have differentiate Ed between antisemitism and racism. Antisemitism is racism. It could be argued that somebody who differentiates between the two holds the view that antisemitism is a lesser form of racism. Personally, I find all racism vile. There isn’t a league table.

But you giggle along with blueas and his tawdry 70’s comedy act.
If he says something truly offensive, you’re nowhere to be seen.
Odd that, given you never miss anything else….
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024