Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories 06:55 - Aug 16 with 1922 viewsElderGrizzly

Would not be surprised at all if this is where we end up with the energy cap.

It fits the Tory/Liz Truss model of private companies driving the change and it not being seen as a ‘handout’

4 of the 5 energy companies have agreed to it, which appears significant.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/15/centrica-and-octopus-back-plan-
This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 07:04 - Aug 16 with 1863 viewstextbackup

its either early, or im thick (likely that one) but does this means i was right to gamble with taking a variable rate??

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 07:33 - Aug 16 with 1753 viewsStokieBlue

So basically make our kids pay for the electricity we are using now.

Another thing we will have lumbered them with.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 07:43 - Aug 16 with 1719 viewsDubtractor

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 07:33 - Aug 16 by StokieBlue

SB

I don't have kids, so this seems fine to me.

That was sarcasm by the way.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 07:45 - Aug 16 with 1705 viewsJakeITFC

Doesn’t solve the impact these bills will have on businesses (and the knock on effect that could have on jobs and inflation). That doesn’t seem to be talked about much at all.
This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:13 - Aug 16 with 1620 viewsLord_Lucan

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 07:45 - Aug 16 by JakeITFC

Doesn’t solve the impact these bills will have on businesses (and the knock on effect that could have on jobs and inflation). That doesn’t seem to be talked about much at all.

We’ve just taken on a new showroom in the midlands and it’s 4500 sq ft to heat

We have had to go in cold on a new contract and it’s triple what the previous tenant was paying.

It’s a bummer.

Our existing energy supplier wouldn’t take on any new accounts
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 8:20]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:38 - Aug 16 with 1538 viewsFreddies_Ears

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 07:04 - Aug 16 by textbackup

its either early, or im thick (likely that one) but does this means i was right to gamble with taking a variable rate??

That is an interesting one... I am reminded of the old adage, "For every complex problem, there is a simple solution. That is wrong."
This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:40 - Aug 16 with 1531 viewsGuthrum

Prices frozen for two years (at a fairly high level) - what happens if the wholesale price goes down significantly e.g. the conflict in Ukraine ends on terms which restore Russian supplies?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:48 - Aug 16 with 1474 viewsJakeITFC

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:40 - Aug 16 by Guthrum

Prices frozen for two years (at a fairly high level) - what happens if the wholesale price goes down significantly e.g. the conflict in Ukraine ends on terms which restore Russian supplies?

That’s just the cap though - suppliers can (and presumably will if there’s a competitive advantage) sell at any level below that to win business.

That being said the actual cost is almost double that level at the moment so would take a significant drop (even Winter-23 prices wouldn’t get us below the current price cap and the curve is in huge backwardation). The end of the war in itself would just be the start, would need gas storage levels to get back to normal and that would require a mild winter and an immediate improvement to Euro/Russian relations (and probably a slow down from the Chinese in terms of gas usage).
Login to get fewer ads

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:48 - Aug 16 with 1468 viewsElderGrizzly

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 07:33 - Aug 16 by StokieBlue

SB

As I said, why it will likely happen. The perfect Tory policy.

Reward the soon to die, penalise the young.
This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:53 - Aug 16 with 1438 viewsDarth_Koont

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:40 - Aug 16 by Guthrum

Indeed. Not to mention, leaving energy bills at the current level is still a pretty good deal for the energy firms.

Also, the cost of living crisis doesn’t want to get worse, clearly, but it’s a crisis for millions at the current levels so I don’t really get the “well, at least we’ll freeze prices here” response.

But, without the threat of nationalisation and turning off the money tap completely, then we’ll be stuck with a deal that continues to guarantee margins for the companies and their shareholders. And a deal that works for them a lot more than it actually works for the country.

Pronouns: He/Him

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:55 - Aug 16 with 1425 viewspointofblue

Maybe the money could come from the profits being made by the energy companies?

Too extreme?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:56 - Aug 16 with 1418 viewsGuthrum

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:48 - Aug 16 by JakeITFC

That’s just the cap though - suppliers can (and presumably will if there’s a competitive advantage) sell at any level below that to win business.

That being said the actual cost is almost double that level at the moment so would take a significant drop (even Winter-23 prices wouldn’t get us below the current price cap and the curve is in huge backwardation). The end of the war in itself would just be the start, would need gas storage levels to get back to normal and that would require a mild winter and an immediate improvement to Euro/Russian relations (and probably a slow down from the Chinese in terms of gas usage).

That article talks about a freeze in (default tariff) bills, not the price cap.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:56 - Aug 16 with 1419 viewslowhouseblue

SB

they also pay if you use the government deficit to fund a subsidy. a beefed up windfall tax would be better - but that isn't going to go anywhere near paying for a 2 year price cap freeze.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 09:14 - Aug 16 with 1354 viewsgiant_stow

Seems like a bit of a one-way hedge to me. Or do they Energy companies pay anything to the fund to have their income guaranteed?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 09:26 - Aug 16 with 1263 viewsJakeITFC

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:56 - Aug 16 by Guthrum

That article talks about a freeze in (default tariff) bills, not the price cap.

The price cap applies to the default tariff.
This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 09:44 - Aug 16 with 1190 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Not sure anyone should be surprised by the woefully inadequate response!

I thought it would be interesting to see what policies have been used elsewhere, and France aside they all seem pretty insignificant:

https://www.euronews.com/next/amp/2022/07/29/energy-bills-are-soaring-in-europe-

Western recession coming this way. As Jake said, even a rapid end to the Ukraine war is unlikely to bring ‘normality’. Gas usage for power generation has been rising as countries (China/Germany) wean themselves off coal. In addition, more locally, most new North Sea projects seem to get blocked (at least in the UK sector).
This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 10:02 - Aug 16 with 1130 viewsSimonds92

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 07:04 - Aug 16 by textbackup

I don't think it was a gamble when comparing the fixed prices to the variable rate over the weekend. My thinking is that they're trying to scare people in to a fixed rate (which is why British Gas sent us an email saying 'Quick sign up to this fixed rate before prices go through the roof!') before government intervention came in. I guess you could argue it's almost like a game of chicken but there has to be some kind of intervention, there would be too much pressure from the public.
This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 10:12 - Aug 16 with 1054 viewsGeoffSentence

SB

Works for me since my two still live with us and don't pay for fwck all.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 10:21 - Aug 16 with 1025 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:55 - Aug 16 by pointofblue

Maybe the money could come from the profits being made by the energy companies?

Too extreme?

You can only enact a windfall tax on UK generated profits:-

1-other countries want their piece of the pie, so sales abroad have already been taxed in another jurisdictions. Some countries have also introduced their own windfall taxes.
2-the above is enshrined in international tax law.

Eon’s UK retail arm made a profit of £352m, which in isolation sounds a lot. However, if you split this and handed it back to households it would amount to a whopping £11 each. That’s why nationalisation of the utilities ultimately won’t make a material difference (around 2pc of your bill is supplier profit).
This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 10:25 - Aug 16 with 1003 viewsMookamoo

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 09:44 - Aug 16 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Not sure anyone should be surprised by the woefully inadequate response!

I thought it would be interesting to see what policies have been used elsewhere, and France aside they all seem pretty insignificant:

https://www.euronews.com/next/amp/2022/07/29/energy-bills-are-soaring-in-europe-

Western recession coming this way. As Jake said, even a rapid end to the Ukraine war is unlikely to bring ‘normality’. Gas usage for power generation has been rising as countries (China/Germany) wean themselves off coal. In addition, more locally, most new North Sea projects seem to get blocked (at least in the UK sector).

Interesting none of those EU countries (with the exception of France) are discussing nationalisation. France seemed to have fluked it - or maybe it was foresight - by increasing their stake in EDF as a result of Covid, and not as a response to Russia, giving them some control over their local market.
This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 10:31 - Aug 16 with 938 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 10:25 - Aug 16 by Mookamoo

Interesting none of those EU countries (with the exception of France) are discussing nationalisation. France seemed to have fluked it - or maybe it was foresight - by increasing their stake in EDF as a result of Covid, and not as a response to Russia, giving them some control over their local market.

So some of these countries probably have nationalised utilities. However, the cost issue is being driven by the wholesale prices for the E&P/energy producers.

Very few countries are able to nationalise production, as very few are self sufficient in this regard. France is one of those. They provide almost all of their power from nuclear, some of which is exported. In terms of gas, they still import, and I assume they sell it at a loss to households with the taxpayer/state picking up the rest.

The UK and others are reliant on import, even a lot of our North Sea oil and gas comes from the Norwegian sector. Some 30pc from Middle Eastern LNG imports.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 10:34]
This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 10:33 - Aug 16 with 910 viewsmylittletown

This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 08:38 - Aug 16 by Freddies_Ears

That is an interesting one... I am reminded of the old adage, "For every complex problem, there is a simple solution. That is wrong."

HL Mencken.
Pretty much defines the government of the UK over the last 40 years
This is likely to be the answer to the energy cap taken up by Tories on 15:32 - Aug 16 with 652 viewsLord_Lucan

I was offered a one, two or three year fixed deal.

It's a conundrum!

I went for a one year fixed because I believe the price will fall. Both business and the people will demand it. It is totally not sustainable.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024