Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The biggest difference this season… 22:55 - Aug 16 with 2057 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

..is out ability to maturely see games out.

- Forest Green - 9 added minutes. We kept the ball for the duration of the added time and killed the game.
- MK Dons - went 3 nil up and spent the last 20 minutes keeping the ball, seeing the game out and earning the deserved clean sheet.
- Burton - 6 added minutes. Kept the ball once again and did the smart things. Put the ball in the corner when required, no cheap free kicks.

It’s mature, disciplined football. A year ago we’d have managed to balls up at least 1 of those three games from the same position. It bodes well. There’s one thing being good at the passing and possession football to create chances and score goals but it’s a whole other side to be able to see out results when under pressure late in a game. A lot of teams can do the former. But promoted teams do the latter.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The biggest difference this season… on 23:30 - Aug 16 with 1882 viewsFunge

'A year ago we’d have managed to balls up at least 1 of those three games from the same position'

Spot on; probably both away games...
The biggest difference this season… on 02:44 - Aug 17 with 1730 viewsibbleobble

Agree but we could have shipped three or four on another night and easily not been in that position. to see it out. Those silly big mistakes we saw at the start of last season still haven’t been eradicated - Wolfenden’s lackadaisical approach being evident again tonight.

That being said, it was a 2-1 defeat there last season so a good, scrapped win is progress of note.
The biggest difference this season… on 03:35 - Aug 17 with 1706 viewsBigCommon

Lost count of how many points we chucked away last season, from winning positions.
Cambridge away and Oxford away, really stick in my throat.
McKenna and his staff have definitely brought a real, serious, professional edge to us this season. I'll chuck Morsy in that group too. He's just been different class this season. He's gone up a notch, imo., with his captaincy. And no silly bookings yet, either. Think the addition of Keogh to the group can only add a bit more nous, too.
Being streetwise in games, will get us an extra 10-12 points, easy..
The biggest difference this season… on 08:00 - Aug 17 with 1482 viewsDubtractor

The biggest difference this season… on 02:44 - Aug 17 by ibbleobble

Agree but we could have shipped three or four on another night and easily not been in that position. to see it out. Those silly big mistakes we saw at the start of last season still haven’t been eradicated - Wolfenden’s lackadaisical approach being evident again tonight.

That being said, it was a 2-1 defeat there last season so a good, scrapped win is progress of note.

I am definitely wary of being complacent after last night. Yes, it was an excellent win in a horrible game, but we were too sloppy with our passing on too many occasions, and a better team would have punished us.

I'm all for the slightly risky approach of playing through the press, but a number of last nights errors weren't about that, it was just sloppy passing. That said, it us VERY early in the season, and I'd expect those things to be ironed out as players settle into the season etc.

Edit: I do agree with Rommy's point though, our ability to see out games has been very evident so far this season. Long may it continue.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 8:02]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The biggest difference this season… on 08:08 - Aug 17 with 1437 viewsibbleobble

The biggest difference this season… on 08:00 - Aug 17 by Dubtractor

I am definitely wary of being complacent after last night. Yes, it was an excellent win in a horrible game, but we were too sloppy with our passing on too many occasions, and a better team would have punished us.

I'm all for the slightly risky approach of playing through the press, but a number of last nights errors weren't about that, it was just sloppy passing. That said, it us VERY early in the season, and I'd expect those things to be ironed out as players settle into the season etc.

Edit: I do agree with Rommy's point though, our ability to see out games has been very evident so far this season. Long may it continue.

Agree with all of that. I was surprised by the number of errors and lack of fluidity at times but Burton have to take some credit for that. Our shape is infinitely better than last season but it’s very noticeable that when Burns is out, we don’t carry anywhere near enough of a threat, which, given we’re nearing the window end, still needs resolving and is a concern.
The biggest difference this season… on 08:31 - Aug 17 with 1367 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

It was actually almost 7 minutes by the time the ref finally blew last night.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The biggest difference this season… on 08:35 - Aug 17 with 1334 viewsFunge

The biggest difference this season… on 08:31 - Aug 17 by The_Flashing_Smile

Nah bruv, was just over 6 - JFH went spare at the end cos he thought there was more to play (Walton and Leigh both dicked around for a good 30 seconds each between 90 and 96)...

Only noticed cos JFHs reaction made me grin...
The biggest difference this season… on 08:54 - Aug 17 with 1292 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The biggest difference this season… on 08:35 - Aug 17 by Funge

Nah bruv, was just over 6 - JFH went spare at the end cos he thought there was more to play (Walton and Leigh both dicked around for a good 30 seconds each between 90 and 96)...

Only noticed cos JFHs reaction made me grin...

You're wrong. I was watching the clock closely (unless the clock on screen was wrong). But it was 6 and a half minutes before the corner was given. It was almost 7 by the time he blew (again, I'm talking about what was visible on iFollow... if you were at the game you might've seen different).

Login to get fewer ads

The biggest difference this season… on 08:56 - Aug 17 with 1271 viewsFunge

The biggest difference this season… on 08:54 - Aug 17 by The_Flashing_Smile

You're wrong. I was watching the clock closely (unless the clock on screen was wrong). But it was 6 and a half minutes before the corner was given. It was almost 7 by the time he blew (again, I'm talking about what was visible on iFollow... if you were at the game you might've seen different).

Looks like full match highlights are available a bit later - I am going to check this out, as it is bugging me.
The biggest difference this season… on 09:58 - Aug 17 with 1199 viewscbower

The biggest difference this season… on 08:00 - Aug 17 by Dubtractor

Excellent post. Perhaps their two biggest chances were the result of terrible attempts to pass back to Walton from 40+ yards out. That's not a result of playing out from the back and trying to beat the press, that's poor concentration / execution in those cases from Harness and Wolf.

bluescouser

The biggest difference this season… on 10:14 - Aug 17 with 1163 viewsFunge

Ifollow have been very sneaky and put an extra minute on the replay this morning, so it shows as being almost 7 minutes extra time.

Which, of course, makes your assertion technically correct.

Saddening times.
The biggest difference this season… on 11:31 - Aug 17 with 1101 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The biggest difference this season… on 10:14 - Aug 17 by Funge

Ifollow have been very sneaky and put an extra minute on the replay this morning, so it shows as being almost 7 minutes extra time.

Which, of course, makes your assertion technically correct.

Saddening times.

Haha, those sneaky guys!

The biggest difference this season… on 04:31 - Aug 18 with 954 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The biggest difference this season… on 08:08 - Aug 17 by ibbleobble

Agree with all of that. I was surprised by the number of errors and lack of fluidity at times but Burton have to take some credit for that. Our shape is infinitely better than last season but it’s very noticeable that when Burns is out, we don’t carry anywhere near enough of a threat, which, given we’re nearing the window end, still needs resolving and is a concern.

Had a quick look on the Burton forum today and they’re massively JFH out. However, a few did say that on Tuesday it was the best they’ve played in a long time. Make of that what you will.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The biggest difference this season… on 06:46 - Aug 18 with 892 viewstextbackup

Vs Burton - we brought on Burgess with mins to go.

the final corner they had, i had that horrible thing enter my head "didnt he lose his man vs cambridge and oxford for a last min equaliser".....

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The biggest difference this season… on 14:35 - Aug 18 with 734 viewsKropotkin123

Isn't 6 almost 7?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

The biggest difference this season… on 14:38 - Aug 18 with 727 viewsDyland

STILL banging on with your seven minute agenda ffs?

:)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The biggest difference this season… on 16:07 - Aug 18 with 641 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The biggest difference this season… on 14:38 - Aug 18 by Dyland

STILL banging on with your seven minute agenda ffs?

:)

Err, no, I haven't banged on about it since yesterday morning!

The biggest difference this season… on 16:49 - Aug 18 with 598 viewsibbleobble

The biggest difference this season… on 04:31 - Aug 18 by The_Romford_Blue

Had a quick look on the Burton forum today and they’re massively JFH out. However, a few did say that on Tuesday it was the best they’ve played in a long time. Make of that what you will.

They always seem to sparkle for a little bit and some impressive wins under JFH and then go in terrible runs. Seems to have been a trend for a while now. I thought they looked really well drilled and hungry Tuesday night. If they keep that up and aren’t so profligate, they could well be top 8 and threaten top 6.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024