Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More of the same for Shrewsbury? 07:54 - Aug 17 with 2821 viewsMullet

They had 25% possession last night in a 0-0 with Derby, still managed a few fouls and decent amount of shots but not on target.

They managed just 34% possession when they beat Wycombe albeit with a late penalty.

I'd think they represent a good litmus test after these last two performances. A few pundits and twitter types were tipping them to do all right this season given their signings and experience about the place.

Their loss against Stanley after going down to 10 men and draw with Morecambe saw them having a more equal share of the games, which suggests where their style and standard might be at in terms of the league.

I've certainly got more faith that we will not just pass amongst ourselves allowing teams to settle behind their lines. You'd fancy us to get in behind teams every week from what we've seen.

Looking forward to heading down there at the weekend.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 07:58 - Aug 17 with 2271 viewsWickets

Hope your right as i spent a lot of last night behind the sofa !
More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 08:01 - Aug 17 with 2254 viewschicoazul

4 wins in a row would be such a boost and show the club is really firing on all cylinders. But like Mick would say, if you offered me a draw now I’d not get on the bus.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 08:24 - Aug 17 with 2103 viewsJakeITFC

You can see that the confidence is growing in the plan to just try and impose our game on every other team, come what may. A few times yesterday we created problems for ourselves with sloppy work from Woolfenden and Edmundson but I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a clear demonstration of the virtues of playing it out from the back as we did yesterday - some brilliant football to beat the press, really confident and deliberate distribution from Walton to pick out players in between the lines and a real keenness to take free kicks quickly and shift the pressure back on to them.

We had to weather a storm a few times but we’ll be a better side for that too you’d think. All in all a really impressive night for us I thought.
More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 08:28 - Aug 17 with 2075 viewstractorboy1978

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 08:01 - Aug 17 by chicoazul

4 wins in a row would be such a boost and show the club is really firing on all cylinders. But like Mick would say, if you offered me a draw now I’d not get on the bus.

Classic modern Ipswich Town fan mindset.
More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:18 - Aug 17 with 1939 viewsGuthrum

See you in the pub!

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:20 - Aug 17 with 1929 viewsKieran_Knows

Another 1-0 away win. Ladapo WILL score.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:21 - Aug 17 with 1920 viewsDyland

Ooooh, four wins? Never, Shirley, this is Town. Arfs. If we beat Shrew AND Barnsley that IS a statement.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:24 - Aug 17 with 1903 viewsTrumptonBlue

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 08:28 - Aug 17 by tractorboy1978

I dunno, I can think of a couple of occasions when, as a 1980s Ipswich Town fan, I would have been happy with a draw at Shrewsbury.
Login to get fewer ads

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:26 - Aug 17 with 1869 viewsjayessess

Us, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Wycombe and Plymouth, a few fancied away teams had difficult nights last night. Maybe the first Saturday-Tuesday hit hard!

25% possession suggests Shrewsbury settled into a low block and defended deep, which will be a very different challenge to Burton, who were direct but pressed very high and left themselves pretty open at the back.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:27 - Aug 17 with 1862 viewschicoazul

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 08:28 - Aug 17 by tractorboy1978

Nobody has accused me of being modern since about 2003 so thank you very much luv.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:28 - Aug 17 with 1859 viewsLesta_Tractor

Standard Steve Cotterill side then

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:35 - Aug 17 with 1803 viewsSaleAway

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:26 - Aug 17 by jayessess

Us, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Wycombe and Plymouth, a few fancied away teams had difficult nights last night. Maybe the first Saturday-Tuesday hit hard!

25% possession suggests Shrewsbury settled into a low block and defended deep, which will be a very different challenge to Burton, who were direct but pressed very high and left themselves pretty open at the back.

just watched the derby match highlights, and the definitely weren't high pressing... although if they watched our games v MK and Burton, they might think that a high press is a good idea!

Created plenty of chances last night... looked like an entertaining 0-0.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:37 - Aug 17 with 1793 viewsBluedandy

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:24 - Aug 17 by TrumptonBlue

I dunno, I can think of a couple of occasions when, as a 1980s Ipswich Town fan, I would have been happy with a draw at Shrewsbury.

Not long after relegation in 1986 from first division (aka Premier League) ... remember watching Shrewsbury beat us one nil at Portman Road in front of 9K.

Towards the end of the game I would have happily taken a point ... wasn't to be and left the stadium with my father feeling very depressed about how far we had fallen.

Little did I know what the next 36 years had in store.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 9:39]
More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:49 - Aug 17 with 1749 viewsTrumptonBlue

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:37 - Aug 17 by Bluedandy

Not long after relegation in 1986 from first division (aka Premier League) ... remember watching Shrewsbury beat us one nil at Portman Road in front of 9K.

Towards the end of the game I would have happily taken a point ... wasn't to be and left the stadium with my father feeling very depressed about how far we had fallen.

Little did I know what the next 36 years had in store.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 9:39]

It feels mean to ruin your childhood memories, but we've never lost at home to Shrewsbury. Perhaps you're thinking of Oldham, who beat us early that season at PR. Shrewsbury was the game after that, in fact - we won 1-0.
More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:56 - Aug 17 with 1701 viewsiamipswich

I noticed that they made no substitutions last night so hopefully there's a few tired legs on their side on Saturday.

Poll: Who will return first?

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:56 - Aug 17 with 1700 viewsVaughan8

I can't believe many would "take a point" from the off.

If we're 2-0 with 15 mins left, then yeah I'll take a draw!

They've had 3 blanks out of 4 so far so hardly very goalscoring. The Wycombe win seemed to come out the blue too as the highlights suggested Wycombe should have been out of sight.
More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 10:09 - Aug 17 with 1626 viewsjayessess

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:35 - Aug 17 by SaleAway

just watched the derby match highlights, and the definitely weren't high pressing... although if they watched our games v MK and Burton, they might think that a high press is a good idea!

Created plenty of chances last night... looked like an entertaining 0-0.

MK high pressed without the personnel for it and got slapped, Burton high pressed, went direct to a big target man, had more willing runners and a dangerous long throw and gave us all sorts of grief.

Steve Cotterill will have to work out which is the more likely outcome if Shrewsbury do it!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 10:37 - Aug 17 with 1556 viewsclive_baker

I think it'll be a similar challange to last night, a direct side that get the ball from back to front fairly promptly. Might be a game where we see Keogh start for his physicality and ability in the air, perhaps Woolf dropping out. Feels ridiculous after back to back clean sheets, but aside from JD the calmest man on the ball in our defensive 3rd last night was probably Walton which tells you something.

Hopefully Burns and Chaplin are back too to give us that bit of quality to break them down. They're stubborn defensively and don't concede too many.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 10:39 - Aug 17 with 1544 viewsBluedandy

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:49 - Aug 17 by TrumptonBlue

It feels mean to ruin your childhood memories, but we've never lost at home to Shrewsbury. Perhaps you're thinking of Oldham, who beat us early that season at PR. Shrewsbury was the game after that, in fact - we won 1-0.

I should have checked we did win 1- 0 you're right .... the crowd was definitely sub 10K for the first time in the league in god knows how long ... so somehow felt like a defeat perhaps?

Remember going to first home game against Grimsby and we scraped a draw (Neil Woods scored for us who we signed in the summer from Rangers. Haven't checked just testing my memory).
More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 10:48 - Aug 17 with 1511 viewsDyland

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:27 - Aug 17 by chicoazul

Nobody has accused me of being modern since about 2003 so thank you very much luv.

No one has accused you of being modern as recently as 2003 ysc x

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 16:31 - Aug 17 with 1273 viewsMullet

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 08:24 - Aug 17 by JakeITFC

You can see that the confidence is growing in the plan to just try and impose our game on every other team, come what may. A few times yesterday we created problems for ourselves with sloppy work from Woolfenden and Edmundson but I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a clear demonstration of the virtues of playing it out from the back as we did yesterday - some brilliant football to beat the press, really confident and deliberate distribution from Walton to pick out players in between the lines and a real keenness to take free kicks quickly and shift the pressure back on to them.

We had to weather a storm a few times but we’ll be a better side for that too you’d think. All in all a really impressive night for us I thought.

Especially after FGR and MK where we showed two different faces of our squad and all round game.

The twin aspects of fitness and coaching are coming together nicely to fill in the gaps from last season thus far. Belief with it is crucial.

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 16:32 - Aug 17 with 1266 viewsMullet

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 09:18 - Aug 17 by Guthrum

See you in the pub!

Are you boys not in corporate again?!?!?

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 16:35 - Aug 17 with 1243 viewsMullet

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 10:37 - Aug 17 by clive_baker

I think it'll be a similar challange to last night, a direct side that get the ball from back to front fairly promptly. Might be a game where we see Keogh start for his physicality and ability in the air, perhaps Woolf dropping out. Feels ridiculous after back to back clean sheets, but aside from JD the calmest man on the ball in our defensive 3rd last night was probably Walton which tells you something.

Hopefully Burns and Chaplin are back too to give us that bit of quality to break them down. They're stubborn defensively and don't concede too many.

I'd be happy to see Keogh come in and give either CB a break. Edmundson has come back from a nasty injury and Woolf has been ill and both look a little like they could do with rotation.

Relying on them to play a full season in the way we are using CBs seems unlikely too.

If we can get Ball off the bench to see a game out this week or next that'd be a boost too.

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 16:39 - Aug 17 with 1226 viewsJ2BLUE

Conceded 11 in last 23 league games and you wouldn't get on the bus...to Shrewsbury?

I think, without being disrespectful and understanding that we might not get a result, we should be well capable of not just one point, but all three.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 16:42 - Aug 17 with 1209 viewsNthsuffolkblue

More of the same for Shrewsbury? on 08:24 - Aug 17 by JakeITFC

We also had one moment where (at 0-0) McKenna left the ball in our dugout when we had a throw-in and shouted instructions to our defence. Slowing the game down when the opposition are dominating is also part of good game management.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024