Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy 13:55 - Aug 17 with 1820 viewsfactual_blue

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11117805/Shake-road-laws-bike-riders-fo

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 13:57 - Aug 17 with 1299 viewshype313

Ahh the destruction of major services and gaslighting the populas was all worth it in the end.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 13:57 - Aug 17 with 1296 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lol

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 13:58 - Aug 17 with 1286 viewsfactual_blue

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 13:57 - Aug 17 by Swansea_Blue

Lol

I now know how I'll be voting in the next General Election....

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:04 - Aug 17 with 1254 viewsGuthrum

To what minimum age are they going to extend that? I spent a lot of my childhood riding bikes in the street and round the countryside.

Besides which cyclists are already obliged to obey the laws and rules of the road, including speed limits.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:07 - Aug 17 with 1240 viewsfactual_blue

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:04 - Aug 17 by Guthrum

To what minimum age are they going to extend that? I spent a lot of my childhood riding bikes in the street and round the countryside.

Besides which cyclists are already obliged to obey the laws and rules of the road, including speed limits.

There'll be a special retrospective clause to criminalise specifically you from the age of three onwards.

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:14 - Aug 17 with 1220 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:04 - Aug 17 by Guthrum

I can just see how our police are going to spend time and energy enforcing this. Will the registrations be needed if you stick to pavements, cycle paths and off road?

I wonder if this Government will have a sliding scale of taxation depending on age/size of frame or will children all pay the full rate? Insurance companies will be rubbing their hands drawing up policies and the extra profits they can make.

Ultimately, the main effect will be removing many people from taking up cycling so that they use their cars instead - even more benefit for fuel companies and contributions to climate change. It is almost like the Government is run for businesses with no regard to citizens or the environment at all.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:22 - Aug 17 with 1205 viewsBasuco

This will discourage cycling, put many cyclist's back in their cars and clog up the already heavily congested roads, it is just daily fail click bait. Speed limits do not apply to cycles, this is blatant anti-cycling rhetoric by fat lazy journalist's to fat lazy readers who are not able to ride a cycle and don't like the fact that cyclist's overtake them while they are stuck in a traffic jam.
A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:35 - Aug 17 with 1147 viewsStokieBlue

The majority of cyclists and drivers are not the problem.

If drivers, cyclists and electric scooter riders who regularly break the law were actually dealt with then there wouldn't be issues.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:39 - Aug 17 with 1109 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:35 - Aug 17 by StokieBlue

If drivers, cyclists and electric scooter riders who regularly break the law were actually dealt with then there wouldn't be issues.

SB

Indeed, if police had the funds to do this would be good.

Perhaps they are thinking that taxing cyclists will raise the funds to pay police to have the time to deal with these criminals. However, I won't hold my breath. This government is more likely to give a tax break to the richest instead.

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:46 - Aug 17 with 1079 viewsBasuco

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:35 - Aug 17 by StokieBlue

SB

But that would require more police officers, the current policy is to reduce police numbers to cut costs, it is very rare to see a policeman who is not in a car these days and many towns and villages have had police stations closed resulting in a much reduced police presence. Who would have thought that reducing police numbers would result in rising crime? Bit complicated for Daily Mail readers obviously.
A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:47 - Aug 17 with 1065 viewsStokieBlue

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:46 - Aug 17 by Basuco

But that would require more police officers, the current policy is to reduce police numbers to cut costs, it is very rare to see a policeman who is not in a car these days and many towns and villages have had police stations closed resulting in a much reduced police presence. Who would have thought that reducing police numbers would result in rising crime? Bit complicated for Daily Mail readers obviously.

Indeed it would require more officers.

Just another thing the government have messed up and are now trying to fix with quick hacks.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:50 - Aug 17 with 1049 viewsMeadowlark

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:02 - Aug 17 with 1027 viewsBasuco

Most countries are trying to encourage cycling as a means of freeing up road space and a healthy lifestyle, they should look into why so many cyclist's and pedestrians are killed every year on the roads. Why parents are reluctant to allow children to ride cycles to school due to very high accident rates, why so many short journeys are completed in a car rather than walking or cycling. If just making cycle helmets compulsory reduces cycle riding by 50% (which happened in Alberta) then this would massively reduce the number of people cycling.
A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:10 - Aug 17 with 1015 viewsblueasfook

Would only be fair if the coppers pulling you over for no insurance or speeding had to chase you on bikes also.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:12 - Aug 17 with 1010 viewsSteve_M

There were no such issues in your youth:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:20 - Aug 17 with 993 viewsJ2BLUE

So just to be clear...with climate change and Boris' drive to make the nation healthier, this is what they come up with?

Genius

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:32 - Aug 17 with 974 viewsBasuco

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:10 - Aug 17 by blueasfook

Would only be fair if the coppers pulling you over for no insurance or speeding had to chase you on bikes also.

It was a very very long time ago that I last saw a police officer on a cycle!

If it rained the police in my area used to let the tyres down and take them to the local cycle shop to have the "puncture" repaired. The shop owner had a very good line in pumping up the tyre and charging for a repair.
A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:36 - Aug 17 with 946 viewsfactual_blue

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:20 - Aug 17 by J2BLUE

So just to be clear...with climate change and Boris' drive to make the nation healthier, this is what they come up with?

Genius

butt dey deelevered bregzit....

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:39 - Aug 17 with 938 viewsfactual_blue

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:12 - Aug 17 by Steve_M

There were no such issues in your youth:

This was a far better option

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:40 - Aug 17 with 929 viewsfactual_blue

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:32 - Aug 17 by Basuco

It was a very very long time ago that I last saw a police officer on a cycle!

If it rained the police in my area used to let the tyres down and take them to the local cycle shop to have the "puncture" repaired. The shop owner had a very good line in pumping up the tyre and charging for a repair.

That was your dad's bike shop, wasn't it?

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:41 - Aug 17 with 927 viewsRocky

No more freewheeling down Church Hill in Kersey for me then.
A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:49 - Aug 17 with 914 viewsfactual_blue

SB

It's almost two hundred years since the first recognisable police force was set up in England.

I'm not convinced that the number of police officers deployed has ever had any significance in reducing the level of any crime, be that murder or a motoring offence.

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:53 - Aug 17 with 901 viewsgiant_stow

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:39 - Aug 17 by factual_blue

This was a far better option

what did you do before the wheel came about?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 16:02 - Aug 17 with 863 viewsOldsmoker

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 14:22 - Aug 17 by Basuco

This will discourage cycling, put many cyclist's back in their cars and clog up the already heavily congested roads, it is just daily fail click bait. Speed limits do not apply to cycles, this is blatant anti-cycling rhetoric by fat lazy journalist's to fat lazy readers who are not able to ride a cycle and don't like the fact that cyclist's overtake them while they are stuck in a traffic jam.

Agreed. It's just Grant Shapps being a d*ck.

From the Independent.....

Quite simply, this is not going to happen — and Shapps knows it. No need to take my word on this: the transport secretary’s own department looked at the question as recently as November 2018.

In its report, the Department for Transport concluded: “The government has no plans to introduce a registration and licensing regime for cyclists because the costs and complexity of introducing such a system would significantly outweigh the benefits.”

The review found the safety case for such a system was not strong because “bicycles involved in collisions on the highway are far less likely to cause serious injury to other road users”, and “cycling has clear benefits” for wider society, which a registration and licensing system would "significantly reduce”.

Shapps is trying to position himself so he gets to keep his job regardless of who gets to be the next PM. I think Shapps knows that both the PM candidates, like everyone else in the country, thinks he's an odious man

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 16:03 - Aug 17 with 864 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A tory-led Cabinet almost twelve years and now their first sensible policy on 15:49 - Aug 17 by factual_blue

It's almost two hundred years since the first recognisable police force was set up in England.

I'm not convinced that the number of police officers deployed has ever had any significance in reducing the level of any crime, be that murder or a motoring offence.

The motoring offence is an interesting one as the number of officers catching more people would likely increase the recorded offences.

I think murder is serious enough a crime that the idea of a deterrent is a red herring.

It would be an interesting analysis to see number of police officers patrolling an area compared to the rate of reported theft/muggings etc. But even then, reduce the numbers of police and some victims decide it isn't worth reporting. I was assaulted as a student once and reported it to campus security. I never even thought of reporting it to the police (I don't know if they did for me). Had there been an officer nearby whom I saw then I would have reported it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024