Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Still trying to unpack last night’s game 14:58 - Aug 17 with 1298 viewsDarth_Koont

The first half was so bad in terms of chances given up to the opposition that Burton should have been a goal up at half time. And 2-0 or 3-1 wouldn’t have been too much of a shock.

And we clearly stuck to the game plan even when it wasn’t working. I actually think that’s a good thing because a) we won’t come up against many sides like Burton who will press so high so long and b) because we probably won’t be as bad at it again.

Overall, the refusal to change and insistence upon our own game plan and approach bodes well I think. All I would change or develop about it is that we should more often have simply relieved the pressure with a long clearance. Not every time or even most of the time but just a little more than we did last night. As much as anything to keep Burton guessing as we became a little predictable and easy to pick off when we stuck a little too rigidly to Plan A. That was when they had us hemmed in and there was just too much pressure to play the ball out with the confidence and tempo that needs.

It was almost at the point that the most threatening passes were coming from us. And I’d have just let Burton have the ball instead and try to go through us.

Anyhoo, the eventual response to the first half came and we not only scored but took more control. Which was a massive step in the right direction as good teams really capitalize on their luck and/or nick something from tight games.

And throughout the game we had passages of ridiculously good passing and movement to create our better chances.

So in the end a good performance and a great result. But it would be good to learn from the first half and how we counter that in the future – or at the very least learn how not to cough up quite so many free chances.

Pronouns: He/Him

Still trying to unpack last night’s game on 15:10 - Aug 17 with 1210 viewsMetal_Hacker

Can't argue to much with that assessment to be fair

Couple of times right in front of me last night Edmondson decided to hit a pass back into our penalty area causing more than a few palpitations and the pass from Wolfy in the 2nd half was another

Totally agree with stick to your principles but at times just to have a break,keep the opposition guessing and mixing it up but sometimes going long for those reasons mentioned

In all fairness the Burton press was very very good

Poll: If it were one or the other

Still trying to unpack last night’s game on 00:33 - Aug 18 with 906 viewsIllinoisblue

Didn’t watch it live because of work but upon viewing the extended highlights was taken aback at how sloppy we looked, especially in the first half. Anyway, who cares, take the points and move on.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Still trying to unpack last night’s game on 09:43 - Aug 18 with 670 viewsDarth_Koont

Still trying to unpack last night’s game on 15:10 - Aug 17 by Metal_Hacker

Couple of times right in front of me last night Edmondson decided to hit a pass back into our penalty area causing more than a few palpitations and the pass from Wolfy in the 2nd half was another

Totally agree with stick to your principles but at times just to have a break,keep the opposition guessing and mixing it up but sometimes going long for those reasons mentioned

Yeah, I sort of gave credit to Burton but their press really was excellent. Chuck in the long throws and they were a real threat.

They'll pull out of the danger zone –and cost our rivals lots of points – if they keep anything like that up.

Still trying to unpack last night’s game on 09:53 - Aug 18 with 619 viewsMetal_Hacker

Still trying to unpack last night’s game on 09:43 - Aug 18 by Darth_Koont

Yeah, I sort of gave credit to Burton but their press really was excellent. Chuck in the long throws and they were a real threat.

They'll pull out of the danger zone –and cost our rivals lots of points – if they keep anything like that up.

The other issue in the first half considering how good the press was , whenever we got a throw in it always went backwards. I understand the theory ref keeping possession but with how well they pressed we were inviting trouble. Second half was different , the throes for the most went down the line

Poll: If it were one or the other

Still trying to unpack last night’s game on 11:33 - Aug 18 with 490 viewsDarth_Koont

Still trying to unpack last night’s game on 09:53 - Aug 18 by Metal_Hacker

The other issue in the first half considering how good the press was , whenever we got a throw in it always went backwards. I understand the theory ref keeping possession but with how well they pressed we were inviting trouble. Second half was different , the throes for the most went down the line

Would be interesting to know what tweaks they made at half time like the throw-ins.

The second half was infinitely more comfortable. Although I suspect Burton getting tired and the goal taking the wind out of their sails were the big factors.

Still trying to unpack last night’s game on 13:05 - Aug 18 with 420 viewsWickets

Still trying to unpack last night’s game on 15:10 - Aug 17 by Metal_Hacker

Add to that Leigh back header from the very first long throw that we only got away with because of a great double save from Walton and Harness poor back pass , I don't know quite how we kept a clean sheet but we did so as someone else has said we won got a bit of luck so we move on .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024