Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On reflection… 22:48 - Aug 17 with 3606 viewsunstableblue

… we weren’t good last night with poor or below par performances across the team, bar the wonderful Walton.

We got away with it and grabbed the 3 points with a bit of luck and a bravura goalkeeping display. Rather than winning ugly.

We’ll need to be a lot better across the pitch to win games against those kind of opposition going forward. Our set pieces are becoming comically bad.

Positively you know McKenna will be analysing the performance and will making plans to resolve. Which may include Keogh coming into the team, adjustments to system and pressing for another striker.

Fans seemed to be the star of the night… and hell we’re top of the league. But let’s not play like that again.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

On reflection… on 22:55 - Aug 17 with 2819 viewshomer_123

I think you underplay the chances we created. Even in the first half.

Yep...we struggled with the press in the first half and we were our own worst enemy.

Under KM we aren't going to win ugly...we didn't last night.

In the second half we stretched the play...played further up the pitch and got our reward. We didn't get drawn into the way Burton wanted us to play...KM tweaked and adapted.

That is a game we probably wouldn't have won even 6 months ago.

Not perfect but not as poor as you make out.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

On reflection… on 22:55 - Aug 17 with 2818 viewstextbackup

If we play like that Vs peterbourgh, or anyone with an ounce of quality/composure, we will find ourselves 2/3 down before we’ve even got into the game.

KMc will know that, as too will the players, we got away with one lastnight massively.

But any away win is a welcomed one.

On the fans, I’m not surprised they are saying we sounded so loud, the other end housed about 60/80 Burton fans singing, and when they sung they sounded pretty decent too, I think the stand helped any noise travel nicely tbh.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

On reflection… on 22:58 - Aug 17 with 2784 viewshomer_123

On reflection… on 22:55 - Aug 17 by textbackup

If we play like that Vs peterbourgh, or anyone with an ounce of quality/composure, we will find ourselves 2/3 down before we’ve even got into the game.

KMc will know that, as too will the players, we got away with one lastnight massively.

But any away win is a welcomed one.

On the fans, I’m not surprised they are saying we sounded so loud, the other end housed about 60/80 Burton fans singing, and when they sung they sounded pretty decent too, I think the stand helped any noise travel nicely tbh.

But P'Boro, for example, won't play like Burton. It will be a more open game and far less physical.

KM wants us to play this way and the price is we give away a chance or two per game but on the basis we create and convert more than we concede.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

On reflection… on 23:02 - Aug 17 with 2752 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We missed Burns and Davis and got away with a few mistakes (to a large degree thanks to Walton as well as some poor finishing from them).

However, we did play well overall. It is not an easy place to go. We lost there last season.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

On reflection… on 23:05 - Aug 17 with 2726 viewstextbackup

On reflection… on 22:58 - Aug 17 by homer_123

But P'Boro, for example, won't play like Burton. It will be a more open game and far less physical.

KM wants us to play this way and the price is we give away a chance or two per game but on the basis we create and convert more than we concede.

I hope you’re right.

I’m certainly loving what I’m watching, I think there will be a few occasions this season where we’ll hammer a team 4/5-0 and everything will pay off.

In the same thought we’ll very possibly gift a team or two an undeserved 1-0 win too

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

On reflection… on 23:44 - Aug 17 with 2645 viewsParisBlue

We had a plan, ultimately it worked. A bit of luck along the way perhaps but well worth the 3 points.

Now onto shrewsbury....

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

On reflection… on 23:52 - Aug 17 with 2621 viewsxrayspecs

I agree.

The good news is last season, we would have lost.

We were lucky though.
On reflection… on 23:55 - Aug 17 with 2590 viewsFrimleyBlue

On reflection… on 23:52 - Aug 17 by xrayspecs

I agree.

The good news is last season, we would have lost.

We were lucky though.

Why were lucky when we scored and missed chances just like Burton

Ladapo had 2 effectively 1 on 1 chances
Jackson half volley was blocked last minute ( it was going top bins)
Evans had a good shot saved
Etc etc

Both sides had opportunities. We took 1 of ours they didn't.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

On reflection… on 00:11 - Aug 18 with 2568 viewsChurchman

On reflection… on 22:58 - Aug 17 by homer_123

You are right. The better teams will play differently. I watched Derby at Charlton. In the first half, Derby tore them a new one. Charlton couldn’t keep the ball and two or three nil at HT would have been deserved. But they didn’t score and once Charlton got at them, they unravelled and Charlton won the game.

Both teams are at the top end of the table and will probably be there all season. Derby are stronger, but neither team looked that great to me. I believe the more teams try to play the more opportunities we will get. We will have off days, make mistakes, miss chances and concede goals. Its L1 after all. The obvious trick is to keep that to a bare minimum.

Regardless of views on last nights performance it was an important win and at the start of any season, that’s the main thing, as last year’s disappointment so amply proved.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 0:12]
On reflection… on 00:28 - Aug 18 with 2533 viewsArnoldMoorhen

No. The weather was terrible. There are 11 players in a team, including the keeper, and our team did enough collectively to take 3 points. In the circumstances that is all that matters.

Oh, and Chaplin was a clear class above absolutely every outfield player on the pitch. He is in such good form at the moment.
On reflection… on 00:44 - Aug 18 with 2507 viewsclive_baker

There wasn’t a lot wrong with the 2nd half performance to be fair, we got in behind them a number of times, dominated possession and dealt with their physicality pretty well. Aside from a relatively routine save from a header they had 1 chance of note which was a golden one and as a result of a monumental cock up by Woolfenden. Suicidal ball inside which Walton saved his blushes on. Can’t really legislate for that, but really that was their only clear cut chance. I said after Bolton that the way we play will lend itself to conceding chances of that nature but that doesn’t really excuse that ball, individual errors like that we need to eradicate.

First half an hour was a bit of a car crash as we got to grips with their aerial bombardment and physicality, but after that I thought we were much the better side.

Frustration for me was still a bit of a lack of quality in the final 3rd. A poor touch, overhit pass, poor finish etc. Ladapo is a willing runner but he has to be doing better with chances such as that in the 2nd half, it was a really poor first touch. Harness was guilty of losing the ball a lot with his back to goal, he’s certainly dangerous when we can get him facing their goal though as he showed yet again with that finish.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

On reflection… on 02:22 - Aug 18 with 2428 viewsKropotkin123

On reflection… on 23:02 - Aug 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

We missed Burns and Davis and got away with a few mistakes (to a large degree thanks to Walton as well as some poor finishing from them).

However, we did play well overall. It is not an easy place to go. We lost there last season.

I don't think we missed Davis. Leigh did somethings better and some things worse. Arguably he was out best player, certainly statistically our best defender. He claimed so many headers.

According to the stats:
- Most key passes (3)
- Most interceptions (6 - the rest of the team had 3 between them)
- Most Clearances (6 - Joint with Woolf, 1 more than JD)
- Didn't concede a foul (Though got a card for time-wasting)
- Got an assist (albeit, it Harness that did the hard work)

Where I think he didn't do as well was in attack. Didn't reall look to move beyond his man when in possession, meaning he'd either have to pass again or try to beat his man.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

On reflection… on 02:34 - Aug 18 with 2423 viewsKropotkin123

At the risk of boring people with what I've written elsewhere, I think we were worse in the first 50mins, and then we could play our way thereafter. The shots stats highlight this. Over the course of the who game we created more chances.

A draw would be fair on purely chances. But we have Walton, and we shouldn't ignore that he will contribute points throughout the season with performances like the one against Burton.

Leigh and JD both had a good game. Arguably Morsy and Jackson were good or par too.

Our passing, particularly in the first half was sloppy and sub par. Mistakes will happen, but that was below the standards we have set ourselves and should expect going forward.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

On reflection… on 07:31 - Aug 18 with 2164 viewsChrisd

If you can show me a team - in football history - that/had plays well in every game over a course of a season then I’ll show you someone that massages the truth. No side is capable of that, even Manchester City under Pep. Make no mistake, we will have a few more off games between now and the end of the season, it’s human nature. The important thing for us on Tuesday night from the way we were playing was getting the win and 3 points and we duly delivered. I thought that was very encouraging personally because the last couple of seasons we’d have found a way to draw or even lose that type of game.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 7:32]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

On reflection… on 08:29 - Aug 18 with 2035 viewsDJR

On reflection… on 02:22 - Aug 18 by Kropotkin123

I don't think we missed Davis. Leigh did somethings better and some things worse. Arguably he was out best player, certainly statistically our best defender. He claimed so many headers.

According to the stats:
- Most key passes (3)

Where I think he didn't do as well was in attack. Didn't reall look to move beyond his man when in possession, meaning he'd either have to pass again or try to beat his man.

I thought he did well in attack. In the first half he linked well with Harness, and it was only really down the left that we offered any sort of threat. And an assist for a goal and three key passes can't be bad. But it wasn't like the MK Dons game, where Davis could afford to plonk himself out wide, because Leigh had to get back to defend. From what I've seen of them, I think he is better than Davis, and I think he was better suited to that type of game, but it is early days yet.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 8:31]
On reflection… on 08:44 - Aug 18 with 1962 viewstractorboy1978

According to the stats:
- Most key passes (3)

I think Leigh is going to play all of these physical away battles. He's excellent in the air. How many times down the years have we seen a full back of ours done at the back post in a game like this?

In that first half in particular Burton were really industrial. When you've got a player that can launch the ball into the box from half way into our half and a load of big blokes attacking it, it isn't easy to defend. We got through it though with the 3 points.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 8:44]
On reflection… on 10:42 - Aug 18 with 1631 viewsNthsuffolkblue

According to the stats:
- Most key passes (3)

I think Davis offered us more width and our CBs playing poor balls inside was a result. I do agree with all you say, though. Leigh is an excellent back up and I am sure will have plenty of pitch time. I would just like to see him play wider when we have possession. I think he did second half too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

On reflection… on 11:00 - Aug 18 with 1529 viewsPioneerBlue

In retrospect, looking at a simple assessment of the game.

We were not as good to watch as we’d like, we did get some passing out to beat the press on occasions and we carved open two guilt edged chances for Ladapo, but the game was partly impacted by weather conditions making it difficult to play football and Burton were able to assert their plan better than we were able to assert ours.

1 point to Burton.

However, we know there are many ways to win games, last season we knew only one way and didn’t score enough, this time we created and took our chance not by luck by through movement and skill of our players.

1 point to us.

Burton had a couple of chances, Walton did his job, he’s a top GK for this level and we pay him to be that rock behind our young defence.

1 point to us.

That’s 2:1 us!

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

On reflection… on 11:01 - Aug 18 with 1524 viewschicoazul

On reflection… on 07:31 - Aug 18 by Chrisd

If you can show me a team - in football history - that/had plays well in every game over a course of a season then I’ll show you someone that massages the truth. No side is capable of that, even Manchester City under Pep. Make no mistake, we will have a few more off games between now and the end of the season, it’s human nature. The important thing for us on Tuesday night from the way we were playing was getting the win and 3 points and we duly delivered. I thought that was very encouraging personally because the last couple of seasons we’d have found a way to draw or even lose that type of game.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 7:32]

Arsenal went a whole season unbeaten in the league.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

On reflection… on 11:17 - Aug 18 with 1477 viewsjayessess

On reflection… on 11:01 - Aug 18 by chicoazul

Arsenal went a whole season unbeaten in the league.

They drew 12 games, including one with Leicester City who got relegated that season.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

On reflection… on 11:25 - Aug 18 with 1451 viewsReusersTown

We were not lucky, as an away team we had 60% possession and 16 shots! The reason that Burton didn't score is that they didn't have the quality of player to finish the 1 or 2 good chances they had, that is because they are Burton, not luck. I'll agree that we weren't at our best though and believe part of that was the dramatic shift in conditions from the baking heat to torrential rain.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 11:29]
On reflection… on 11:30 - Aug 18 with 1423 viewsSaleAway

On reflection… on 11:25 - Aug 18 by ReusersTown

We were not lucky, as an away team we had 60% possession and 16 shots! The reason that Burton didn't score is that they didn't have the quality of player to finish the 1 or 2 good chances they had, that is because they are Burton, not luck. I'll agree that we weren't at our best though and believe part of that was the dramatic shift in conditions from the baking heat to torrential rain.

I also wonder if the grass was quite long... it felt to me that we really struggled to "ping" the ball around. There were a lot of under hit passes. it also seemed that balls over the top held up rather than skidding off the wet turf. You'd think it would be a simple adjustment, but it might be another factor to some of our difficulties.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

On reflection… on 11:33 - Aug 18 with 1396 viewsunstableblue

On reflection… on 11:30 - Aug 18 by SaleAway

I also wonder if the grass was quite long... it felt to me that we really struggled to "ping" the ball around. There were a lot of under hit passes. it also seemed that balls over the top held up rather than skidding off the wet turf. You'd think it would be a simple adjustment, but it might be another factor to some of our difficulties.

I think you may have a point

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

On reflection… on 11:38 - Aug 18 with 1379 viewsitfcsuth

We weren't terrific, and we were sloppy in possession at times, and had to call upon a couple of big saves from Walton.

It happens, you aren't going to slick every single game in an incredibly long season, and that type of game won't be the last of the season either.

It's purely about getting in, grabbing 3 points and getting out any means necessary in them types of games.

We failed with that task early in the season last year, notably away at Burton, Cheltenham & Acc. Stanley last year.
On reflection… on 11:44 - Aug 18 with 1360 viewsjayessess

On reflection… on 11:25 - Aug 18 by ReusersTown

I I do think we can count ourselves fortunate that Burton didn't score first. By the 60th minute on Saturday Burton had scored 3 times from fewer good openings. Keillor-Dunn scored a hat-trick at the weekend and missed an absolute sitter in our game. They have the ability to take the chances they made, but didn't on the night.

It's not lucky to have a good goalkeeper, but it is lucky, from our perspective, if the opposition don't make the most of their opportunities.

We made the most of our luck though, by gradually getting more control in the game, taking one of the chances that came our way and by managing the game well when we took the lead.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024