Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... 08:29 - Feb 20 with 5402 viewsitfcjoe

....not everything came off for him but he really does give you both options of dropping in and holding the ball up and linking well with what is around him; plus the ability to switch that and get in behind and keep defenders honest and on their toes.

Get yourself a man who can do both, just a shame he didn't take one of the chances that dropped to him

But in these games where we get stuck in a low block I think his pace and runs in behind when the game breaks down sometimes will really help keep us moving and creating.

I'd personally be looking to ride the team we played on Saturday for a few weeks now, Humphreys will eventually drop out for one of Ball or Luongo but seems little rush to do that too quickly with the next couple of games we have

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 08:48 - Feb 20 with 4377 viewsGlasgowBlue

That chip over the keeper looked like it was going miles over in real time. The replays show it was just inches out from dropping in the right side of the cross bar.

I think once he gets a league goal he will be flying.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 08:50 - Feb 20 with 4348 viewshomer_123

Hirst - why the hype? by homer_123 18 Feb 2023 16:44
Bizarre loan? Utter bobbins.

Would you rather Jackson be that lone striker?

Hirst work rate is excellent...intelligent player....superb take today and unlucky not to score.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 08:52 - Feb 20 with 4336 viewsdavblue

He's a good player different to Ladapo, but he looks off it match fitness wise, needs the rhythm of games now. Lets hope it's not a similar scenario to Chris Wood who we got match fit and was starting to look sharp and then got recalled, except Hirst getting injured this time.
Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 09:11 - Feb 20 with 4198 viewsGuthrum

At Bristol it was pointed out to me how good Hirst's movement off the ball is. Unfortunately it wasn't spotted or exploited by his team-mates in that game.

But we have two front-men who can cause havoc among defenders by getting in between them and manufacturing shots or setting up others. Ladapo is not a bad poacher, too.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 09:15 - Feb 20 with 4123 viewsMullet

He's definitely got a bagful of talent and in an ideal world we'd have him taking over as our main man in the next couple of seasons, but that's not likely.

One thing I liked about him at Burnley was his willingness to improvise. I think the chest down to Harness was on the highlights, but it was one of several examples where he took the best option, something that Freddie has been criticised for a lot.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 09:23 - Feb 20 with 4012 viewsITFC_Forever

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 08:48 - Feb 20 by GlasgowBlue

That chip over the keeper looked like it was going miles over in real time. The replays show it was just inches out from dropping in the right side of the cross bar.

If that had dropped in, it would have been a fantastic goal.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 09:43 - Feb 20 with 3850 viewsclive_baker

He's deceptively pacey isn't he. Very much cuts the figure of a man who needs a goal, he understandably looked disappointed on Saturday not to have got on the scoresheet, he's almost trying too hard.

Would agree on the lineup, keeper and back 4 picks itself if Clarke is the preferred option on the right. Hopefully we get Edmundson back to provide additional cover centrally. Chaplin and Broadhead bring a lot, looks like they're starting to form a bit of a partnership, different players but both get into good areas and can finish and create with demonstrable numbers through their career. I really like Broadhead, he's so direct, classy player with an eye for goal. His touch and technique is as good as anyone in the building. What was it Saturday an assist, a goal, and he put Davis away with a well weighted pass to assist the 3rd as well. Not a bad hours work. Would love us to persist with that partnership for the foreseeable.

What's being asked of Humphreys is, ideally, not something we would be expecting from someone so young and with so much developing to do. It showed against Bristol Rovers where he was poor. Felt like the games were coming too quickly for him but as you say with a week to prep for MK Dons and then another week to Burton I don't see why we would take him out now, but ideally getting ML some minutes off the bench. Accrington might be a different story but cross that bridge when it comes, and hopefully Luongo has 2 more weeks under his belt by then.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 10:00 - Feb 20 with 3720 viewsWickets

Just beginning to get up to speed as i dont think he played much before coming in , plenty more to come maybe ,
Login to get fewer ads

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 11:23 - Feb 20 with 3395 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Completely agree. Stick with it and see how it develops - if we end up in the playoffs we have plenty of time to get Hirst up to speed.
Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 11:38 - Feb 20 with 3314 viewsringwoodblue

Personally I’d start Freddie every time ahead of Hirst.

We are not in a luxurious position of being able to give players time to get up to speed, we need goals and results now. He’s handy to have around as an impact sub or if Freddie gets injured but that’s all.

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 11:46 - Feb 20 with 3237 viewsitfcjoe

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 11:38 - Feb 20 by ringwoodblue

Personally I’d start Freddie every time ahead of Hirst.

We are not in a luxurious position of being able to give players time to get up to speed, we need goals and results now. He’s handy to have around as an impact sub or if Freddie gets injured but that’s all.

But we are in that position in reality - the best thing we can do is ensure we are at our best for the play offs now by getting a team settled for that and using what McK thinks will be our best players for then, now

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 12:20 - Feb 20 with 3033 viewsportmanking

It's no coincidence that Broadhead and Chaplin are more influential when Hirst plays as the 9. His link-up play and movement are superior to Ladapo's and bringing the 2x 10s into the game is the key to McKenna's system. If he can get a goal or two at MK that would be a big boost for his confidence in front of 7k baying Town fans.
Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 12:25 - Feb 20 with 2976 viewsbournemouthblue

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 08:48 - Feb 20 by GlasgowBlue

The touch before was the better part of that move, it would have been a brilliant goal if it goes in

He offers a bit more running and movement than Ladapo in general play, less of a twist and turner but isn't getting into goalscoring positions as much as I hoped

There's a player in there, is he still adapting as to how best to play for us, he seemed to score a fair few goals for Portsmouth from cut backs, something you'd expect us to offer a lot of

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 12:33 - Feb 20 with 2880 viewschicoazul

Is he going to score soon.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 12:45 - Feb 20 with 2815 viewsBigCommon

Think Hirst has got that half a yard better acceleration than Freddy. So when he presses or runs into channels, he kind of darts across. Couple that with his work rate and he's very effective, for what KM wants...
Freddy , for me, is stronger, and probably a better option for a back to goal striker who can pin his man and be used as a back board..
Both players have their strengths. Although, comparing them, imo, is a little bit difficult. As I believe they are a slightly different strengths to each other.. You can see how KM was trying to get Freddy to play the "Hirst role" earlier in the season. And he did well. But for me, he's played his best games lately with back to goal.. On occasion, for me, Fred has looked a little lethargic when asked to press hard and fast.. Hirst , just looks more nimble and quicker. A nightmare for defenders and keepers if he's closing them down, or they are trying to track his runs..
I like Hirst, and I know we were targeting him in the Summer. But you know what they say about falling in love with a loan player? For all we know, Foxes might want to keep him if he shows some good improvement under KM.
Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 13:18 - Feb 20 with 2584 viewstractorboy1978

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 12:45 - Feb 20 by BigCommon

Think Hirst has got that half a yard better acceleration than Freddy. So when he presses or runs into channels, he kind of darts across. Couple that with his work rate and he's very effective, for what KM wants...
Freddy , for me, is stronger, and probably a better option for a back to goal striker who can pin his man and be used as a back board..
Both players have their strengths. Although, comparing them, imo, is a little bit difficult. As I believe they are a slightly different strengths to each other.. You can see how KM was trying to get Freddy to play the "Hirst role" earlier in the season. And he did well. But for me, he's played his best games lately with back to goal.. On occasion, for me, Fred has looked a little lethargic when asked to press hard and fast.. Hirst , just looks more nimble and quicker. A nightmare for defenders and keepers if he's closing them down, or they are trying to track his runs..
I like Hirst, and I know we were targeting him in the Summer. But you know what they say about falling in love with a loan player? For all we know, Foxes might want to keep him if he shows some good improvement under KM.

They definitely want rid of him at the right price. The buy option in his Blackburn loan was £3.5m. They needed him to score a dozen goals at Blackburn though and prove he could cut his teeth in the Championship.

I was pretty vocal about him being a risk for us at the price wanted in the summer, but he's obviously a player with a high ceiling if he gets going. I like Ladapo and he's been excellent for us but realistically McKenna always wanted Hirst as his main man. He's going to be given plenty of opportunity between now and the end of the season and we need him to find the sort of form he showed at Pompey last season.
Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 13:48 - Feb 20 with 2379 viewsStewart27

That first touch was sublime.

The finish almost came off.

Hirst is a yes from me.
Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 13:55 - Feb 20 with 2330 viewsBigCommon

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 13:18 - Feb 20 by tractorboy1978

They definitely want rid of him at the right price. The buy option in his Blackburn loan was £3.5m. They needed him to score a dozen goals at Blackburn though and prove he could cut his teeth in the Championship.

I was pretty vocal about him being a risk for us at the price wanted in the summer, but he's obviously a player with a high ceiling if he gets going. I like Ladapo and he's been excellent for us but realistically McKenna always wanted Hirst as his main man. He's going to be given plenty of opportunity between now and the end of the season and we need him to find the sort of form he showed at Pompey last season.

Found it a bit odd that he signed a new contract at Leicester when he was clearly wanted elsewhere.. Guess money talks, in terms of his own deal. And it's a drop in the ocean. cost wise for a Prem' club, to give him that contract. With the possibility of him hitting a streak and them getting their asking fee....
Wonder what his price will be this Summer... 3.5m was a bit steep.. What do you recon?
1.5 to 2m?
He does look enthused out there in a Town shirt. And KM will give him plenty of minutes, and , no doubt, will be massaging his ego to try and win him over. I still think he's playing within himself.. He hasn't had a really good run of games all season, to get himself going. Hopefully he'll be on full throttle for our last dozen or so games...
Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 14:16 - Feb 20 with 2226 viewsFrimleyBlue

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 12:20 - Feb 20 by portmanking

It's no coincidence that Broadhead and Chaplin are more influential when Hirst plays as the 9. His link-up play and movement are superior to Ladapo's and bringing the 2x 10s into the game is the key to McKenna's system. If he can get a goal or two at MK that would be a big boost for his confidence in front of 7k baying Town fans.

Is it more influential?
Hirst and Broadhead only started 2 games together.
2 2 Wednesday
Saturday 4-0

Broadhead Chaplin ladapo Won 4-0.
1-1 cambridge.

Difference being ladapos scored in both games too.

Hirst looks a handy player. But he's a loan. We loaned a newly signed striker out to bring him in. If he signs in the summer great. But if he doesn't i find it an odd signing for January when we're building his minutes up to get him match fit. For him to wave bye in the summer.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 14:19 - Feb 20 with 2210 viewsSlimitfc91

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 14:16 - Feb 20 by FrimleyBlue

Is it more influential?
2 2 Wednesday
Saturday 4-0

1-1 cambridge.

Hirst looks a handy player. But he's a loan. We loaned a newly signed striker out to bring him in. If he signs in the summer great. But if he doesn't i find it an odd signing for January when we're building his minutes up to get him match fit. For him to wave bye in the summer.

Ahadme is awful, you are very keen to big up Ladapo, are you his agent ?
Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 14:20 - Feb 20 with 2203 viewstractorboy1978

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 14:16 - Feb 20 by FrimleyBlue

Is it more influential?
2 2 Wednesday
Saturday 4-0

1-1 cambridge.

Imagine it is pretty simple - Hirst is considerably better than Ahadme.
Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 14:21 - Feb 20 with 2201 viewsitfcsuth

Looks an OK player to date, but far from convinced so far if I'm being honest.

Looks to have the attributes you would want in a striker, without really excelling in any particular one of them.

I do fully understand that he lacking match sharpness though, but currently Freddie gets the nod ahead of him every time.
Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 14:22 - Feb 20 with 2182 viewsFrimleyBlue

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 14:19 - Feb 20 by Slimitfc91

Ahadme is awful, you are very keen to big up Ladapo, are you his agent ?

Ahadme might be. We haven't seen enough of him. But we signed him. Hence my view.

And Freddie. He's a perfectly solid league 1 forward. Does his job. Scores goals. Brings others into games too.

Waka waka eh eh

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 14:22 - Feb 20 with 2187 viewsSlimitfc91

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 14:20 - Feb 20 by tractorboy1978

Yes, simple for those amongst us who are able to use logical thinking
Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 14:26 - Feb 20 with 2135 viewsFrimleyBlue

Think you can see why we chased Hirst so much in that performance.... on 14:20 - Feb 20 by tractorboy1978

We'll see. Ahadmes back from injury now. So be interesting to see how he does.

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024