Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? 07:45 - Jan 29 with 4287 viewsTLA

Whilst I like the fact that Mick has identified a player he feels he needs, I just can't see why Preston would sell him at this point.

They have a shot at the playoffs and he's having his best month of the season, with 4 or 5 goals and good performances. Even if we go to £3m, surely they won't have time to get a better replacement.

Given that they're not far off the playoffs, surely it would be worse than our timing of selling Murphy - it would be more like us having sold him at the end of one of the last two January windows.
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 08:19 - Jan 29 with 2972 viewsYallop

They'll sell. They need to balance the books and the player fancies the move.
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 08:23 - Jan 29 with 2951 viewsTLA

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 08:19 - Jan 29 by Yallop

They'll sell. They need to balance the books and the player fancies the move.

I have to say I know very little about their finances. They might not find themselves in a better position to challenge for promotion in a while though. I guess he's the kind of player whose value is likely to reduce if they wait until the summer though - he certainly didn't seem to be worth £2m+ four weeks ago!
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:14 - Jan 29 with 2861 views3_5_2

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 08:23 - Jan 29 by TLA

I have to say I know very little about their finances. They might not find themselves in a better position to challenge for promotion in a while though. I guess he's the kind of player whose value is likely to reduce if they wait until the summer though - he certainly didn't seem to be worth £2m+ four weeks ago!

Anyone who went yesterday, is he any good?.

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:18 - Jan 29 with 2843 viewsSuperfrans

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:14 - Jan 29 by 3_5_2

Anyone who went yesterday, is he any good?.

He played well. Looked exactly what we need.

Strong, fairly nippy, ran the line from one side to the other and worked well with his back to goal. Absolutely no neck whatsoever though... 😂

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:19 - Jan 29 with 2817 viewstaximan

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:18 - Jan 29 by Superfrans

Strong, fairly nippy, ran the line from one side to the other and worked well with his back to goal. Absolutely no neck whatsoever though... 😂

sounds perfect

what are the chances ??
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:22 - Jan 29 with 2822 viewsTLA

Mick certainly thinks he fits the bill.

I didn't get there yesterday but he's looked good from some of their televised games and highlights. He seems to have been so much better this month and when we were first linked, Preston fans thought we were mugs for talking about a million and said they'd drive him here etc. I don't like how that fee seems to have trebled and worry it's desperation on our part. Our position might mean we can wait and get him or someone else for much less in the summer - it's the same with Ward.
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:25 - Jan 29 with 2793 viewstaximan

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:22 - Jan 29 by TLA

Mick certainly thinks he fits the bill.

I didn't get there yesterday but he's looked good from some of their televised games and highlights. He seems to have been so much better this month and when we were first linked, Preston fans thought we were mugs for talking about a million and said they'd drive him here etc. I don't like how that fee seems to have trebled and worry it's desperation on our part. Our position might mean we can wait and get him or someone else for much less in the summer - it's the same with Ward.

it would surely be worth the extra money to integrate him, or anyone else for that matter, into the team/squad now, rather than starting from square on next season
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:27 - Jan 29 with 2793 viewsPhilTWTD

I sort of see him as somewhere between Daryl Murphy and Shefki Kuqi in style, Daryl Kuqi maybe. Could see why Mick sees him as our new number nine.
Login to get fewer ads

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:31 - Jan 29 with 2770 viewsTLA

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:25 - Jan 29 by taximan

it would surely be worth the extra money to integrate him, or anyone else for that matter, into the team/squad now, rather than starting from square on next season

I definitely agree with the thinking behind that. I guess a relatively large outlay for someone without a great record at this level prior to the last month or so is concerning but there are never any guarantees.

I Think if ME funds this deal for more than £2m, given Hugill would be very much Mick's signing, it probably signals MM staying beyond the summer. Other managers in the league don't seem to be competing for his signature so it's very much about backing MM long-term, especially given our position right now.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2017 9:52]
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:47 - Jan 29 with 2721 viewsElderGrizzly

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:27 - Jan 29 by PhilTWTD

I sort of see him as somewhere between Daryl Murphy and Shefki Kuqi in style, Daryl Kuqi maybe. Could see why Mick sees him as our new number nine.

My only concern is he has only really been banging them in for the last month at Preston. And that is only 3 in the last 2 games. Last goal before that was November.

Including the 3 this month, he has only scored another 7 in the last 2 seasons for them.

That to me just seems a below average record for what for us is a big fee?
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:54 - Jan 29 with 2677 viewsitfcjoe

The fact we are so obviously and strongly in for him indicates that there is a deal to be done - can't imagine Mick and Marcus would be still pursuing him without a nudge and a wink that the deal can get done if we get the fee agreed.

If we have sold Murph for £3m, then it is going to take the best part of that to sign a much more raw, but much younger replacement who is doing well at this level.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:56 - Jan 29 with 2654 viewsTLA

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:47 - Jan 29 by ElderGrizzly

My only concern is he has only really been banging them in for the last month at Preston. And that is only 3 in the last 2 games. Last goal before that was November.

Including the 3 this month, he has only scored another 7 in the last 2 seasons for them.

That's pretty much how I've been thinking - and I thought might have scored another goal or two this month.

I don't like how quickly he's gone from a reasonably low risk and decent option to potentially our biggest outlay in years.The fee would also surely reflect in his negation for wages too. If it were a signing to push us over the line or keep us safe, that's different. That said, I like taximan's point about starting to build for next year now.
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:00 - Jan 29 with 2645 viewsSuperfrans

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 09:54 - Jan 29 by itfcjoe

The fact we are so obviously and strongly in for him indicates that there is a deal to be done - can't imagine Mick and Marcus would be still pursuing him without a nudge and a wink that the deal can get done if we get the fee agreed.

If we have sold Murph for £3m, then it is going to take the best part of that to sign a much more raw, but much younger replacement who is doing well at this level.

Yes. On the face of it, using up all the £3m for a much less established player, would seem odd - but he has 7 years on Murphy, is about to come into his peak years and (if he is really decent quality) will improve over the next five years.

As MEReborn says above, it's a big risk for a player who has not consistently scored goals. That said, he looked to me like a player who will bring others into the play, not just a goal scorer.

No neck though....

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:06 - Jan 29 with 2608 viewsElderGrizzly

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:00 - Jan 29 by Superfrans

Yes. On the face of it, using up all the £3m for a much less established player, would seem odd - but he has 7 years on Murphy, is about to come into his peak years and (if he is really decent quality) will improve over the next five years.

As MEReborn says above, it's a big risk for a player who has not consistently scored goals. That said, he looked to me like a player who will bring others into the play, not just a goal scorer.

No neck though....

Yep, no issue with his role if that is what it is.

Just need some goal scoring midfielders and wingers to bring into play if he isn't going to score himself :)
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:08 - Jan 29 with 2593 viewsbournemouthblue

Indeed whilst we were winnin, I was dreaming of a late run for the play-offs given we'd be eating up the ground on Preston

Sadly they equalised but given the signings and the other potential signings, I feel more positive going forwards

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:19 - Jan 29 with 2554 viewsitfcjoe

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:00 - Jan 29 by Superfrans

No neck though....

He's got 9 years on Murphy also, and started later so has made swift progress up to this level. Is it a ceiling or part of the trajectory?

Obviously a player like that with a consistent goal scoring record would be great - but a player like that of Murphy's ability at 24-25 would be £10m.

It's definitely a lot of money for someone relatively unproven, but if Mick has targetted him for so long, and can see him cutting it in the Championship, then I'd back him to improve us. Because we desperately need the player you describe (Neck or no neck...)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:21 - Jan 29 with 2529 viewstextbackup

the alterative is to keep watching sears miss chances

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:28 - Jan 29 with 2499 viewsElderGrizzly

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:21 - Jan 29 by textbackup

the alterative is to keep watching sears miss chances

When McG is fit, i'd suggest Sears will be a sub anyway?
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:30 - Jan 29 with 2480 viewsSuperfrans

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:19 - Jan 29 by itfcjoe

He's got 9 years on Murphy also, and started later so has made swift progress up to this level. Is it a ceiling or part of the trajectory?

Obviously a player like that with a consistent goal scoring record would be great - but a player like that of Murphy's ability at 24-25 would be £10m.

It's definitely a lot of money for someone relatively unproven, but if Mick has targetted him for so long, and can see him cutting it in the Championship, then I'd back him to improve us. Because we desperately need the player you describe (Neck or no neck...)

9 years!? Yes, you're right. Blimey, I was certain Murphy was 31. All the more reason to planned better for his decline/departure.

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:35 - Jan 29 with 2458 viewsHarryfromBath

Their fans have been saying all week that Hugill's finishing is the missing piece in his jigsaw. He was through twice against Sheffield Wednesday on New Year's Eve and fluffed both one-on-ones, as one fane put it, "trying to dance it around the keeper". That apart, much of what they said had an echo of Murph's style of play.

The other imponderable is who Preston might be trying to bring in to replace him. There was huge speculation last week about bringing Robbie Keane in on a short term deal. It makes sense for them when you think about it, a natural finisher who has played dozens of times with Aiden McGeady. If they can nail down a replacement, I reckon that they could well pick up the phone to us.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:40 - Jan 29 with 2420 viewsMullet

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:35 - Jan 29 by HarryfromBath

Their fans have been saying all week that Hugill's finishing is the missing piece in his jigsaw. He was through twice against Sheffield Wednesday on New Year's Eve and fluffed both one-on-ones, as one fane put it, "trying to dance it around the keeper". That apart, much of what they said had an echo of Murph's style of play.

The other imponderable is who Preston might be trying to bring in to replace him. There was huge speculation last week about bringing Robbie Keane in on a short term deal. It makes sense for them when you think about it, a natural finisher who has played dozens of times with Aiden McGeady. If they can nail down a replacement, I reckon that they could well pick up the phone to us.

Christ. They'll have Steve Staunton in too soon.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:44 - Jan 29 with 2391 viewsElderGrizzly

My worry would be if he does join for a big fee, there are a vocal minority who will be on his back if he isn't scoring fairly soon into his Town career.

I know Priskin and Parkin were different types of strikers, but they all need to score and fairly regularly to announce your arrival and gain acceptance by this section of the crowd. They didn't and never really gained acceptance

Otherwise you will end up as an internet meme fairly quickly 🙄
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:45 - Jan 29 with 2378 viewsTLA

I think your imponderable was my point in starting the thread - it seems a strange time for them to sell with nobody lined up as a replacement, given their current good place to challenge for the playoffs.

I'm not sure how I'd feel if we signed Hugill for £2.5m and they got someone like Matty Taylor for 1/5 of that. Maybe it's not a problem if Hugill fits our style - the outlay in that context suggests MM being in post beyond this season. I can live with that but it might not be popular with some.

It looks like a few interesting days ahead...
Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:52 - Jan 29 with 2343 viewsSuperfrans

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:44 - Jan 29 by ElderGrizzly

My worry would be if he does join for a big fee, there are a vocal minority who will be on his back if he isn't scoring fairly soon into his Town career.

I know Priskin and Parkin were different types of strikers, but they all need to score and fairly regularly to announce your arrival and gain acceptance by this section of the crowd. They didn't and never really gained acceptance

Otherwise you will end up as an internet meme fairly quickly 🙄

It's the stupidity with many of our fans - sign for £100k, you're slagged as not good enough; sign for £3m, the expectation is immense.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2017 10:53]

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:54 - Jan 29 with 2310 viewsSuperfrans

Why would Preston sell Hugill now? on 10:45 - Jan 29 by TLA

I think your imponderable was my point in starting the thread - it seems a strange time for them to sell with nobody lined up as a replacement, given their current good place to challenge for the playoffs.

I'm not sure how I'd feel if we signed Hugill for £2.5m and they got someone like Matty Taylor for 1/5 of that. Maybe it's not a problem if Hugill fits our style - the outlay in that context suggests MM being in post beyond this season. I can live with that but it might not be popular with some.

It looks like a few interesting days ahead...

Maybe we can let them have Leon Best... 😂

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024