Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
George Burley... 11:25 - Mar 20 with 6462 viewsitfcjoe

...was watching the U18s on Saturday morning - presumably with a view to taking over as manager soon

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

George Burley... on 11:31 - Mar 20 with 3784 viewsKieran_Knows

Under 18's manager? With Alan Lee taking over the first team managers job......

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

George Burley... on 11:43 - Mar 20 with 3707 viewshoppy

George Burley... on 11:31 - Mar 20 by Kieran_Knows

Under 18's manager? With Alan Lee taking over the first team managers job......

They'd need to provide extra security staff for the manager on matchdays if that's the case. Otherwise, Alan would be at the mercy of that crazed Bluebell woman...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

George Burley... on 11:50 - Mar 20 with 3651 viewsClausThomsen

I hope you're right...

Get him in now, we'll have big attendances for the Brum and Wigan games and surely at least one win, then give him the summer to coach us into an Ipswich team again.

But we'll #stickwithmick, there'll be about 10k in the ground both times. We absolutely have to win one of those games.
George Burley... on 11:56 - Mar 20 with 3603 viewsIllinoisblue

George Burley... on 11:50 - Mar 20 by ClausThomsen

I hope you're right...

Get him in now, we'll have big attendances for the Brum and Wigan games and surely at least one win, then give him the summer to coach us into an Ipswich team again.

But we'll #stickwithmick, there'll be about 10k in the ground both times. We absolutely have to win one of those games.

We'd need to reveal Mourinho as boss with Sir Alex as Director of Football for there to be anything close to resembling a big crowd for the Wigan game.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

George Burley... on 11:59 - Mar 20 with 3570 viewsSmithy

I'd have him back in a heartbeat

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

George Burley... on 12:13 - Mar 20 with 3483 viewsBlueBadger

George Burley... on 11:59 - Mar 20 by Smithy

I'd have him back in a heartbeat

Too long out of the game to be a manager. Might make an excellent DoF, though.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

George Burley... on 12:16 - Mar 20 with 3449 viewshoppy

George Burley... on 12:13 - Mar 20 by BlueBadger

Too long out of the game to be a manager. Might make an excellent DoF, though.

Depends. Keegan was out of the game completely for ten years when he took over at Newcastle the first time, hadn't he?

George Burley... on 12:17 - Mar 20 with 3425 viewsBlueBadger

George Burley... on 12:16 - Mar 20 by hoppy

Depends. Keegan was out of the game completely for ten years when he took over at Newcastle the first time, hadn't he?

Trouble is, for every Keegan, there's three or four Jewells and Kinnears.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

George Burley... on 12:19 - Mar 20 with 3405 viewshoppy

George Burley... on 12:17 - Mar 20 by BlueBadger

Trouble is, for every Keegan, there's three or four Jewells and Kinnears.

I wish we'd never had Jewell 'kinnear or anywhere near here.

George Burley... on 12:22 - Mar 20 with 3374 viewsBluebell

George Burley... on 11:43 - Mar 20 by hoppy

They'd need to provide extra security staff for the manager on matchdays if that's the case. Otherwise, Alan would be at the mercy of that crazed Bluebell woman...

If only.
George Burley... on 12:24 - Mar 20 with 3342 viewshoppy

George Burley... on 12:22 - Mar 20 by Bluebell

If only.

He'd be advised not to re-sign Michael Chopra, otherwise, he could have more than he had bargained for coming his way...

George Burley... on 12:28 - Mar 20 with 3309 viewsle2blue

He'd make a perfect Director of Football...with a coach to lead the first team.
George Burley... on 12:31 - Mar 20 with 3274 viewsSmithy

George Burley... on 12:28 - Mar 20 by le2blue

He'd make a perfect Director of Football...with a coach to lead the first team.

Burley as DoF, McGreal as coach, perfect!

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

George Burley... on 13:17 - Mar 20 with 3082 viewsGuthrum

George Burley... on 12:31 - Mar 20 by Smithy

Would work for me.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

George Burley... on 14:11 - Mar 20 with 2913 viewsIpswichKnight

George Burley... on 12:19 - Mar 20 by hoppy

I wish we'd never had Jewell 'kinnear or anywhere near here.

Don't forget Alan Shearer at Newcastle and Sir Trevor Brooking at West Ham both legends as players but both got them relegated.

Burley got sacked for a MM style performance at Grimsby and has been well err pretty rubbish everywhere else since. His management was never the same once Dale Roberts sadly died.
George Burley... on 14:17 - Mar 20 with 2863 viewsbluewein

George Burley... on 14:11 - Mar 20 by IpswichKnight

Don't forget Alan Shearer at Newcastle and Sir Trevor Brooking at West Ham both legends as players but both got them relegated.

Burley got sacked for a MM style performance at Grimsby and has been well err pretty rubbish everywhere else since. His management was never the same once Dale Roberts sadly died.

If you take away stopping Derby from getting relegated the season after they went down, then turning them into play off semi finalists with no money (whilst have Tom Huddlestone sold from under his nose), winning his first 10 games with Hearts before being sacked by a bat sh1t crazy owner and taking a Southampton side that the "genius" Harry Redknapp failed with to the play offs, then yes, he was pretty rubbish.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

George Burley... on 14:26 - Mar 20 with 2806 viewsITFC_Forever

Yup.

Col U would be pleased as well.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

George Burley... on 14:28 - Mar 20 with 2784 viewsKieran_Knows

George Burley... on 14:26 - Mar 20 by ITFC_Forever

Yup.

Col U would be pleased as well.

Perhaps we could give them another ex player (or soon to be ex player) as their new manager ..... Douglas maybe?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

George Burley... on 14:31 - Mar 20 with 2762 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

George Burley... on 11:50 - Mar 20 by ClausThomsen

I hope you're right...

Big crowd?

If 15k counts as big these days, then that's about it

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

George Burley... on 14:40 - Mar 20 with 2730 viewsClausThomsen

Brooking stepped in after Roeder collapsed, he got the last 3 games of the season - beating Chelsea and Man City then drawing with Birmingham. They still went down but saying Brooking got them relegated is ridiculous.

Saying Burley did "pretty rubbish everywhere else" is also wide of the mark. He got Derby and Southampton in the playoffs, was top of the league with Hearts, beat Iceland as Scotland manager etc

Shearer was pure shi8e though
George Burley... on 15:31 - Mar 20 with 2572 viewsTheBlueBarca

Actually I must step in to correct the poorly informed opinions about Burleys post Ipswich managerial career.

After Ipswich, Burley took over at Derby where he turned them around from a situation where it would looked like they were going out of business and were in Administration and despite this within a season he guided them to the Playoffs and finished 4th in the league before leaving. Derby would go on to build and eventually be promoted.

He then joined Hearts, where he was top of the Scottish league before a terrible owner got involved and he had to move on.

After Hearts he was appointed at Southampton where he finished 6th and qualified for Playoffs, only losing 4 games all season. He also helped develop the now famous youth system at Southampton which has carried them forward to sustained success in the Premier League.

Due to his success he landed the Scotland manager's job, which is a bit of a poison chalice and they didnt give him any time to develop a national team.

He was then appointed manager of Crystal Palace, a football club at the time in a total mess having just been bought out by new owners. Yes, they struggled but Burley was working against a backdrop of constant change and wasn't even given a season there.

His last job was 4 years ago in Cypress where he took control of a side for a few games, he's been out of work more or less as long as McCarthy has been in post. Not 10 years as others have suggested.

That's not pretty rubbish really, it's probably a bang on average record for a second tier managerial appointment for a bottom end club these days.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

George Burley... on 15:35 - Mar 20 with 2162 viewsbluewein

George Burley... on 15:31 - Mar 20 by TheBlueBarca

Actually I must step in to correct the poorly informed opinions about Burleys post Ipswich managerial career.

After Ipswich, Burley took over at Derby where he turned them around from a situation where it would looked like they were going out of business and were in Administration and despite this within a season he guided them to the Playoffs and finished 4th in the league before leaving. Derby would go on to build and eventually be promoted.

He then joined Hearts, where he was top of the Scottish league before a terrible owner got involved and he had to move on.

After Hearts he was appointed at Southampton where he finished 6th and qualified for Playoffs, only losing 4 games all season. He also helped develop the now famous youth system at Southampton which has carried them forward to sustained success in the Premier League.

Due to his success he landed the Scotland manager's job, which is a bit of a poison chalice and they didnt give him any time to develop a national team.

He was then appointed manager of Crystal Palace, a football club at the time in a total mess having just been bought out by new owners. Yes, they struggled but Burley was working against a backdrop of constant change and wasn't even given a season there.

His last job was 4 years ago in Cypress where he took control of a side for a few games, he's been out of work more or less as long as McCarthy has been in post. Not 10 years as others have suggested.

That's not pretty rubbish really, it's probably a bang on average record for a second tier managerial appointment for a bottom end club these days.

Or...

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/401816/3559262/george-burley.../#post3559262

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

George Burley... on 15:35 - Mar 20 with 2162 viewsSarge

Think for that to happen we'd need an owner that's aware of the relationship between ITFC and Burley and McGreal etc. Like Sheepshanks would have been with Magilton. Whilst Evans may claim to be an Ipswich fan I'd challenge him and Milne to name half our playoff squad between them.
George Burley... on 15:40 - Mar 20 with 2132 viewsitfcjoe

George Burley... on 15:35 - Mar 20 by Sarge

Think for that to happen we'd need an owner that's aware of the relationship between ITFC and Burley and McGreal etc. Like Sheepshanks would have been with Magilton. Whilst Evans may claim to be an Ipswich fan I'd challenge him and Milne to name half our playoff squad between them.

At one point when Evans was here and Johnny Wark was doing the matchday hospitality ME didn't even know that Warky was an ex player

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

George Burley... on 15:43 - Mar 20 with 2103 viewsSarge

George Burley... on 15:40 - Mar 20 by itfcjoe

At one point when Evans was here and Johnny Wark was doing the matchday hospitality ME didn't even know that Warky was an ex player

Even my grandma knows that and she's never been to a game in her life.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024