Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stupid stupids are stupid 08:54 - Jun 30 with 4282 viewschicoazul

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40431351

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

No idling? on 09:03 - Jun 30 with 4246 viewsSwansea_Blue

It'll be the end of this place if no-idle zones are introduced.

#preyforTWTD

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:03 - Jun 30 with 4246 viewsNo9

Why is it stupid?
How many running engines, on a still day, would create enough noxious fumes to damage yoiung lungs?
Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:06 - Jun 30 with 4239 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lack of joined-up thinking though. Irregular speeds because of speed bumps has been shown to significantly increase emissions. And you often get traffic calming measures around schools. So in the same area, we could have one initiative that increases emissions and one that decreases them.

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:12 - Jun 30 with 4220 viewsNo9

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:06 - Jun 30 by Swansea_Blue

Lack of joined-up thinking though. Irregular speeds because of speed bumps has been shown to significantly increase emissions. And you often get traffic calming measures around schools. So in the same area, we could have one initiative that increases emissions and one that decreases them.

Years ago we had schools near to where people lived.
Now schools are whereever politicians or private interests wnat them
We used to walk or bike to school - in all weathers
Now the Chelsea tractor is obligatory and the little, overprotected darling must not get into a cold car
Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:13 - Jun 30 with 4212 viewsGlasgowBlue

Glasgow City Council are constantly banging in about emissions and then they turn a road into buses and taxis only which means you have to drive through five or six streets, through five or six sets of traffic lights, bumper to bumper, spewing out unnecessary emmisions, just to get to a point that was less than 100 yards from where you started.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:15 - Jun 30 with 4206 viewsSwansea_Blue

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:12 - Jun 30 by No9

Years ago we had schools near to where people lived.
Now schools are whereever politicians or private interests wnat them
We used to walk or bike to school - in all weathers
Now the Chelsea tractor is obligatory and the little, overprotected darling must not get into a cold car

Well there is that as well. Even if lots of schools haven't moved, far fewer kids walking. Sad state of affairs really, as I'm sure a lot of it is the worry about safety as much as laziness.

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:16 - Jun 30 with 4203 viewsNo9

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:13 - Jun 30 by GlasgowBlue

Glasgow City Council are constantly banging in about emissions and then they turn a road into buses and taxis only which means you have to drive through five or six streets, through five or six sets of traffic lights, bumper to bumper, spewing out unnecessary emmisions, just to get to a point that was less than 100 yards from where you started.

Have you checked to see how many of the busses are running on bio fuel?
Or how many taxis are hybrid running on electric?
Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:18 - Jun 30 with 4194 viewsGlasgowBlue

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:16 - Jun 30 by No9

Have you checked to see how many of the busses are running on bio fuel?
Or how many taxis are hybrid running on electric?

What does that have to do with what I posted about a fleet of 4x4's spewing out unnecessary emmisions because of the exclusive buss access?

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:20 - Jun 30 with 4191 viewsblue_oyster

Parents shouldn't be driving their children to school.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:26 - Jun 30 with 4169 viewsNo9

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:18 - Jun 30 by GlasgowBlue

What does that have to do with what I posted about a fleet of 4x4's spewing out unnecessary emmisions because of the exclusive buss access?

Glasgow City, lik e most other urban areas should have an Air Quality Plan- do they?
Have you challenged your Councillor over any changes to road plans that may make the GCAP unworkable?

There may be answers but is your 4X4 one of the offenders and how old is it?
Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:28 - Jun 30 with 4165 viewsBasuco

The only real answer to this is affordable public transport, this has been ignored by successive governments, buses and trains should have massive public subsidy as in most of the rest of Europe that then frees up the roads. But we are stupid in this country to think that building more roads is the answer, but that just generates more traffic.
Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:30 - Jun 30 with 4154 viewsGlasgowBlue

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:26 - Jun 30 by No9

Glasgow City, lik e most other urban areas should have an Air Quality Plan- do they?
Have you challenged your Councillor over any changes to road plans that may make the GCAP unworkable?

There may be answers but is your 4X4 one of the offenders and how old is it?

Are you deliberately missing the point?

Iron Lion Zion

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:32 - Jun 30 with 4150 viewsBasuco

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:20 - Jun 30 by blue_oyster

Kids should walk or cycle to school just as we did in the past, agree with you. My generation somehow survived it. Or give all U16's free public transport to and from school regardless of distance. The answer is easy.
Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:53 - Jun 30 with 4105 viewsNo9

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:30 - Jun 30 by GlasgowBlue

Are you deliberately missing the point?

No, often councils will re-route heavy traffic or change traffic plans for reasons the public don't understand.
Often it is for good reason but maybe not.
That is why you should contact your councillor

I am frequently chasing up our county councillor about the horrendous road issues in my area, that is what they are there for.
Stupid stupids are stupid on 10:07 - Jun 30 with 4080 viewsBlueBadger

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:13 - Jun 30 by GlasgowBlue

Or, you could cut out all that hassle and get on the bus?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Stupid stupids are stupid on 11:00 - Jun 30 with 4008 viewssolemio

Some of the mums arrive at the Primary School near us an hour before school finishes, and from early Autumn through to late Spring sit in their cars with the engine running for all that time.

I'm all for banning this.
Stupid stupids are stupid on 11:12 - Jun 30 with 3990 viewsBluebell

Stupid stupids are stupid on 09:20 - Jun 30 by blue_oyster

In an ideal world that is true. I used to cycle about 3 miles to my secondary school every day in all weathers. My mother couldn't drive and my father needed the car for work.

In today's world there doesn't seem to be any such thing as 'catchment area' as there used to be. Parents chose schools which are many miles away from home. Added to that the fear of letting young children walk or cycle to school nowadays with a lot more traffic on the roads (caused partly of course by the parents who drive their children to school!).
Stupid stupids are stupid on 11:20 - Jun 30 with 3974 viewssolemio

Stupid stupids are stupid on 11:12 - Jun 30 by Bluebell

In an ideal world that is true. I used to cycle about 3 miles to my secondary school every day in all weathers. My mother couldn't drive and my father needed the car for work.

In today's world there doesn't seem to be any such thing as 'catchment area' as there used to be. Parents chose schools which are many miles away from home. Added to that the fear of letting young children walk or cycle to school nowadays with a lot more traffic on the roads (caused partly of course by the parents who drive their children to school!).

It's not always the fault of parents; round here parents apply for places at Secondary schools very near home, but the Local Authority allocate them places miles away in the next town, or right over the far side of their own town. Mind you, you're right that many parents should be walking their children not driving them.

From when I was 4 plus I walked just over 2 miles each way to school across West Country fields. A little group of us would be supervised by an older (10/11) child.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024