Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why the relentless negativity from some? 09:52 - Jul 28 with 19485 viewsAxeldalai_lama

I'm not going to suggest we're going to win the league, or that we've had the most amazing signings in history. BUT surely people can see we're attempting to improve areas we were lacking, as well as bringing on youth and at least attempting to knock the ball about a bit. The signings we've made and squad looks pretty good, if not amazing.

I guess I just don't understand why some just chose to see the absoute worst in every little thing we do. What's the point in being a fan if you can't even attempt to see a positive, and there are definite positives if you chose to see them. Even if it only lasts until the end of August, surely this is the time to be slightly positive.

I'm not going for superfan status and saying everyone needs to believe we'll win the league and put on our blue tinted specs, I'm realistic enough to think top ten/ flirting with the play offs would be a good season. But a few saying relegation is likely and we'll do worse than last season just seems bizarre.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 09:55 - Jul 28 with 9606 viewsBlueBadger

I reckon it's bit like when Keane was here in that a small number of people have gotten so utterly invested in their viewpoints they see it as being a slight against them personally if something happens to the contrary.

And also, because this is literally the only sh*t they have to worry about in their lives.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2017 10:28]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 09:55 - Jul 28 with 9599 viewsitfcjoe

You can't look at just Ipswich in a bubble though, every other team in this league is attempting to improve in areas that were lacking.

Momentum is key to everything, start the season well then things will work - start it badly and we are in big trouble

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 09:55 - Jul 28 with 9588 viewsMJallday

I assume you are looking for an answer more sophisticated than

* apathy bought about by our stay in this division
* years of under investment regarding transfer fees
* an anonymous owner
* a one dimensional tactic manager

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:02 - Jul 28 with 9570 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 09:55 - Jul 28 by itfcjoe

You can't look at just Ipswich in a bubble though, every other team in this league is attempting to improve in areas that were lacking.

Momentum is key to everything, start the season well then things will work - start it badly and we are in big trouble

But until we play, and potentially get a bit of momentum then we wont know.
It's not as if we've signed conference players and absolute nobodies. We've signed some potentially good players.
My only point being we're town fans, what's the point in being SO negative before we've kicked a ball in anger. Apathy I'd understand, but deliberately doing us down at every turn as some do just seems wierd.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:05 - Jul 28 with 9551 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 09:55 - Jul 28 by MJallday

I assume you are looking for an answer more sophisticated than

* apathy bought about by our stay in this division
* years of under investment regarding transfer fees
* an anonymous owner
* a one dimensional tactic manager

I get all that, definitely.
Apathy I'd understand, if people were saying a big "meh" to it all I'd completely understand, but people are going out of their way to deliberately see everything in the worst light possible. What's the point in being a fan if you're that poisoned that you can't even be un-negative(not even suggesting they need to be positive!) at the start of the season?
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:08 - Jul 28 with 9533 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think we have gone about pre-season in the right way. And I am pleased to have made a couple of £1m signings, as its a step in the right direction. (not everyone can spend £30m+ like Boro).

I think the midfield is looking better than it has done for a few seasons, and I'm really looking forward to seeing whether Downes, Dozzell and Nydam can emerge into the first team picture.

Also looking forward to see if Bishop and Hyam can re-establish themselves.

I always look forward to the season with some measured optimism at this stage... although its often gone by October. Hopefully that will change!!

I would love to see us gamble on investing in a young striker from L1 or L2, as I cant get too excited by loan deals.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:10 - Jul 28 with 9515 viewsGeoffSentence

"
I'm not going to suggest we're going to win the league, "

What is wrong with you man? Why do negative? It is preseason, just over a week until I'm m off. At this point very right thinking town fan knows that we are going to win the league.

100 points 100 goals.

COYB

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:15 - Jul 28 with 9489 viewsStokieBlue

Anywhere near the play-offs would be an astonishing season.

I don't think that people want to be negative but the club just haven't given people many reasons to be positive over the last few years. Last year we saw some of the worst displays seen from town in 20+ years.

Being a fan doesn't mean one has to be blindly obedient.

Fingers crossed we start well and carry on, people won't be negative if there is no reason.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:26 - Jul 28 with 9449 viewsmichaeldownunder

I would just like us to be in the top half of the league this season.
Most fans would like our younger players to be given a chance, Kenlock did well but I think Doz was just a bit too lightweight last season, not too young, just needed more help from the other players.

I feel a 3-5-2 system would help the younger ones in midfield.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:29 - Jul 28 with 9444 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:15 - Jul 28 by StokieBlue

I don't think that people want to be negative but the club just haven't given people many reasons to be positive over the last few years. Last year we saw some of the worst displays seen from town in 20+ years.

Fingers crossed we start well and carry on, people won't be negative if there is no reason.

SB

"I don't think people want to be negative"
I'd like to believe that to be the case, but I genuinely believe some people get more pleasure from moaning and being negative than they do from us doing well.(admittedly there's been a lot more chance of the former over the latter, but still).
Certain posters seem to upvote any post remotely negative, no matter how convoluted or just wrong it is.
I think part of it is also the fallback of, "if I'm wrong happy days, everyones a winner".
I'm not suggesting blind obedience either, I'd just hope people wouldn't deliberately try to find things wrong when we've signed 4 or 5 decent players and promoted a few youths up to the main squad. Suggesting we may have enough for a top half finish isn't exactly cloud cukoo, blue tinted specs stuff.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:47 - Jul 28 with 9393 viewsHeathlander

I want us to be stronger at home and play more entertaining football and flirt with the top six. That would do me.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:56 - Jul 28 with 9360 viewsusm

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:10 - Jul 28 by GeoffSentence

"
I'm not going to suggest we're going to win the league, "

What is wrong with you man? Why do negative? It is preseason, just over a week until I'm m off. At this point very right thinking town fan knows that we are going to win the league.

100 points 100 goals.

COYB

Damn straight, sister!

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:57 - Jul 28 with 9356 viewsbraveblue

We have three strikers one of whom will be injured for a good part of the season. With our defensive set up its tough to see how we will score more than last year. Play offs seem way out of reach. Top half maybe. To say relegation is bizarre is ridiculous. It has happened to sides with much stronger credentials.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 11:02 - Jul 28 with 9336 viewshomer_123

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:29 - Jul 28 by Axeldalai_lama

"I don't think people want to be negative"
I'd like to believe that to be the case, but I genuinely believe some people get more pleasure from moaning and being negative than they do from us doing well.(admittedly there's been a lot more chance of the former over the latter, but still).
Certain posters seem to upvote any post remotely negative, no matter how convoluted or just wrong it is.
I think part of it is also the fallback of, "if I'm wrong happy days, everyones a winner".
I'm not suggesting blind obedience either, I'd just hope people wouldn't deliberately try to find things wrong when we've signed 4 or 5 decent players and promoted a few youths up to the main squad. Suggesting we may have enough for a top half finish isn't exactly cloud cukoo, blue tinted specs stuff.

"but I genuinely believe some people get more pleasure from moaning and being negative than they do from us doing well"

That doesn't just apply to ITFC - likely they'll be similar on other topics as well.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 11:16 - Jul 28 with 9304 viewsdirtyboy

Much as there are glass half full people, there are those with a glass half empty.

I work with a negative person, f*****g does my nut in, everything is an issue, but the reality is, my life is a million times better than theirs purely because I don't concern myself with stuff I have no control over and enjoy what I can have control over.

I can't control the results of ITFC, or the spending of the owner or the tactics, but I like football, like being with friends and it's a million times better attending Portman Road than it is the local Masonic Lodge.

You have to experience the lows to appreciate the highs.....and my gosh are we going to appreciate those highs if they come ! lol!
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 11:38 - Jul 28 with 9246 viewsSuperfrans

It is wearing - although we shouldn't be surprised.

The response to McCarthy's comments (effectively that we're struggling to find another permanent striker because of the cash being thrown about) are a good example of this. I can't really see how people don't see the issue here - It's quite clear that the money be asked for relatively average strikers is crazy right now. We seem to have lucked it a little with Garner, whose value has taken a dip since an average season at Rangers, but who seems to have joined us sharp and firing (if the pre-season friendlies are anything to go by).

And yet the same old miserable lines, questioning McCarthy's word on this, questioning whether Evans is willing to invest, questioning the squad, when the season hasn't even started yet - it's just so tiresome.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 11:40 - Jul 28 with 9243 viewsblue_oyster

Why be an optimist, and live your life suffering almost eternal disappointment?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 12:00 - Jul 28 with 9193 viewsSuperfrans

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:15 - Jul 28 by StokieBlue

SB

As someone else has said, there are a fair few people who DO want to be negative, because it supports their argument that Mick should have gone in April (or before).

Personally, I take the view that he's here, for good or bad, and that the summer is a time to sign a few players, try a few youngsters, a new way of playing and maybe reset expectations.

I don't think "anywhere near play offs would be an astonishing season". It's almost impossible to predict at this stage. I have no doubt that we would have been 5/6 places higher in the division before Christmas last season if we hadn't lost Murphy on the last day of the transfer window and then lost Pitman to injury - our entire attacking strategy was out the window. That would have totally changed our tactics from Xmas onwards, pretty much.

A good start to the season - Garner firing, Celina contributing and a decent, creative midfield - could make all a difference this autumn.

I'm NOT saying we will be play-off contenders btw - but to suggest it is out of the question is too harsh imho.

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 12:02 - Jul 28 with 9195 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I was genuinely stunned last season when my post after barnsley away, whilst it was alcohol fuelled and overly hyper, was met with people genuinely moaning at me and the Town fans that celebrated the goal.

Incredible how negative some of our support is.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 12:05 - Jul 28 with 9176 viewsdirtyboy

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 11:40 - Jul 28 by blue_oyster

Why be an optimist, and live your life suffering almost eternal disappointment?

Because pessimists are in general non-achievers, not necessarily financially, but as a package, and not much fun to be around? Why be that person?

Hope has been a catalyst for human improvement for thousands of years.

It's the hope that scientists find a cure for cancer (or whatever) that keeps them going, otherwise, why bother? "Oh, what's the point, it's too difficult"

It was hope that led to many discoveries and events, a human trait of persistence in that belief that no matter what odds, no matter how dificult, things can be acheived. ITFC has the odd against it, but I'll still go, hope to see us win and not be too disappointed if we don't.
Why the relentless negativity from some? on 12:07 - Jul 28 with 9169 viewsJ2BLUE

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 12:02 - Jul 28 by The_Romford_Blue

I was genuinely stunned last season when my post after barnsley away, whilst it was alcohol fuelled and overly hyper, was met with people genuinely moaning at me and the Town fans that celebrated the goal.

Although I agree with you, the problem was you describing a 1-1 draw at Oakwell as 'absolute scenes'

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 12:11 - Jul 28 with 9133 viewsDolly2.0

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 10:57 - Jul 28 by braveblue

We have three strikers one of whom will be injured for a good part of the season. With our defensive set up its tough to see how we will score more than last year. Play offs seem way out of reach. Top half maybe. To say relegation is bizarre is ridiculous. It has happened to sides with much stronger credentials.

"one of whom will be injured for a good part of the season"

You misspelt "might".

This is the negativity the OP is talking about. Currently McGoldrick is not injured, so to say he will be injured for a good part of the season is just negative nonsense.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 12:14 - Jul 28 with 9119 viewsSuperfrans

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 12:07 - Jul 28 by J2BLUE

Although I agree with you, the problem was you describing a 1-1 draw at Oakwell as 'absolute scenes'

I agree, on both - but, anyone who has been to an away game, had a couple of beers and seen a last minute game-changer, will understand what Rommy meant and how it felt.

A draw in those circumstances can often feel better than a win from an early goal, as we all know.

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 12:22 - Jul 28 with 9093 viewsDolly2.0

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 12:02 - Jul 28 by The_Romford_Blue

Come on, you know it wasn't simply that. It was your wording - describing it as "absolute scenes".

Not your fault, due to your age, but some of us who have seen some proper "absolute scenes" found that a funny description of a goal in a nothing game.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 12:24 - Jul 28 with 9085 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Why the relentless negativity from some? on 12:22 - Jul 28 by Dolly2.0

Come on, you know it wasn't simply that. It was your wording - describing it as "absolute scenes".

Not your fault, due to your age, but some of us who have seen some proper "absolute scenes" found that a funny description of a goal in a nothing game.

You forget that every report that day from fans on here said the same as me in that it was crazy

Not Watford-esque but still scenes.

I actually had people call me 'embarrassing' for celebrating the goal afterwards on here ffs

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024