Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Web hosting + WordPress help needed! 02:10 - Aug 6 with 4397 viewsmos

Looking to create a wordpress site, which I will do myself, I will host with host gator and then rent a domain from GoDaddy. One question though:

I don't want to buy it all first then create it, as it might turn out all a bit crap, so I would rather do the Wordpress site offline, see if it's good, then buy the domain and host the site, but will I be able to copy the Wordpress sites to hostgator? Can I do do this?

Thanks.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 06:51 - Aug 6 with 4348 viewsconnorscontract

Build the website in Wordpress but keep it private, then see if it's good.

Are you looking to create a content site to generate traffic and make money from ad revenue?

Or setting up a site for customers to your business?

Or for a blog or hobby, where you just want web publishing and archiving?

If the first of these, I know nothing about this, but can see why you'd need to host elsewhere. Wordpress has two branches, one for offline editing and uploading elsewhere, the other for publishing on their servers.

If the second, I use wordpress for this and host with them, for free paying a small upgrade fee to register a .com address through them. This domain is then linkable to zoho for five free email addresses per domain. This works for me for 3 charity/voluntary sector websites.

If it's the third, this is Wordpress' natural territory. Host to Wordpress and buy the domain if you really need it.

Wordpress hosted domain upgrades are limited in choice- you can't have .org.uk or .co.uk, but .com works for us.
Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 07:49 - Aug 6 with 4314 viewsgiant_stow

To build a wp site literally offline on your pc, you need to set up software to emulate a Web server on your pc first. That can be a bit of a pain, as can uploading the site to the live hosting and changing its settings. Easier just to buy host gator / whatever, one click install wp and then password protect it so that it's private while you build the site and get it right.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 08:11 - Aug 6 with 4305 viewssuffolkpoker

I've had problems with hostgator before I recommend tso host or vidahost

When I started I wanted mine live (despite being really poor lol). The. You can look at traffic etc

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 10:09 - Aug 6 with 4251 viewsBurwell_Blue

First off, don't use hostgator. I use Krystal and currently have 40 WordPress sites running through them. The support is second to none.

With regards building the site locally (on your machine) - yes you can do that quite easily. You can then export it to the hosting site if you choose to go ahead, in a few minutes.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2017 10:18]
Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 11:49 - Aug 6 with 4221 viewsmos

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 06:51 - Aug 6 by connorscontract

Build the website in Wordpress but keep it private, then see if it's good.

Are you looking to create a content site to generate traffic and make money from ad revenue?

Or setting up a site for customers to your business?

Or for a blog or hobby, where you just want web publishing and archiving?

If the first of these, I know nothing about this, but can see why you'd need to host elsewhere. Wordpress has two branches, one for offline editing and uploading elsewhere, the other for publishing on their servers.

If the second, I use wordpress for this and host with them, for free paying a small upgrade fee to register a .com address through them. This domain is then linkable to zoho for five free email addresses per domain. This works for me for 3 charity/voluntary sector websites.

If it's the third, this is Wordpress' natural territory. Host to Wordpress and buy the domain if you really need it.

Wordpress hosted domain upgrades are limited in choice- you can't have .org.uk or .co.uk, but .com works for us.

Thanks for the reply,
I will be creating a website for someone who runs his own business, and is self employed. This will include doing all his graphic design too - logos etc.

Are you talking about the Wordpress.org? If so, I will host through them too. Thanks, was thinking about using Hostgator, then having to do some FTP malarchy.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 11:51 - Aug 6 with 4218 viewsmos

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 07:49 - Aug 6 by giant_stow

To build a wp site literally offline on your pc, you need to set up software to emulate a Web server on your pc first. That can be a bit of a pain, as can uploading the site to the live hosting and changing its settings. Easier just to buy host gator / whatever, one click install wp and then password protect it so that it's private while you build the site and get it right.

Alright, looked into that, looks like I need to download some software to run a local server to put my site on. All good. Ty.

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 11:52 - Aug 6 with 4217 viewsmos

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 10:09 - Aug 6 by Burwell_Blue

First off, don't use hostgator. I use Krystal and currently have 40 WordPress sites running through them. The support is second to none.

With regards building the site locally (on your machine) - yes you can do that quite easily. You can then export it to the hosting site if you choose to go ahead, in a few minutes.

Alright, I think I will use Krystal too, I don't know much about hosting companies, thanks.

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 11:55 - Aug 6 with 4214 viewsBurwell_Blue

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 11:51 - Aug 6 by mos

Alright, looked into that, looks like I need to download some software to run a local server to put my site on. All good. Ty.

You can do that, otherwise look to see if you can build it on WordPress.org and then export it from there once you are ready.
Login to get fewer ads

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 12:04 - Aug 6 with 4206 viewsGunnsAirkick

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 10:09 - Aug 6 by Burwell_Blue

I also use Krystal, they really are fantastic. My mate at work is building our company Website using them, he's not a Developer but it's looking really good so just spend a bit of time looking at different templates. You can password protect the Website so only people with a password can see it if you don't want to mess around setting it up locally. If you search for WordPress htaccess or WordPress password protect there are a host of Plugins that can do this.
Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 12:15 - Aug 6 with 4195 viewsmos

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 11:55 - Aug 6 by Burwell_Blue

You can do that, otherwise look to see if you can build it on WordPress.org and then export it from there once you are ready.

Alright,

The only problem is I'm slightly unsure on how to export it. I've looked st tutorials using Duplicator which is a plugin which backs up your files, but just slightly unsure.

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 12:51 - Aug 6 with 4177 viewsBurwell_Blue

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 12:15 - Aug 6 by mos

Alright,

The only problem is I'm slightly unsure on how to export it. I've looked st tutorials using Duplicator which is a plugin which backs up your files, but just slightly unsure.

Krystal are running a 30 day offer for £1 (then only £2.99 a month after that) - I would register a domain and just get that deal (and password protect if needed like GunnsAirKick suggested) - that way you haven't got to move any files anywhere.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2017 12:51]
Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 13:37 - Aug 6 with 4153 viewsmos

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 12:51 - Aug 6 by Burwell_Blue

Krystal are running a 30 day offer for £1 (then only £2.99 a month after that) - I would register a domain and just get that deal (and password protect if needed like GunnsAirKick suggested) - that way you haven't got to move any files anywhere.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2017 12:51]

Yeah, will probably just do that.

Thank you very much,

Web hosting + WordPress help needed! on 00:01 - Aug 7 with 4082 viewsmos

Update,

Have used Xampp to create myself a local host server to run my Wordpress site on, got all the PHPmyadmin and MySQL stuff too.

Will just have to transfer to a new database and host when I decide to buy a host + domain.

Struggling with Wordpress, but have sort of got to grips with it, will look st some tutorials for basic website setups and then copy them more or less.

Thanks all.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024