Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Waghorn 22:39 - Sep 28 with 1872 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Tuesday night waghorn had 3 assists.

BBC website says 2 in total this season?

Wonder what counts as an assist?
Waghorn on 22:57 - Sep 28 with 1821 viewsLankHenners

They're probably not counting his 3rd as McGoldrick ballsed up the first attempt and had to bundle it over the line.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Waghorn on 00:02 - Sep 29 with 1735 viewsSuperfrans

It’s total nonsense.

On that basis, Geddis’s cross in 1978 wasn’t an assist.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Waghorn on 08:14 - Sep 29 with 1594 viewsitfcjoe

Waghorn on 00:02 - Sep 29 by Superfrans

It’s total nonsense.

On that basis, Geddis’s cross in 1978 wasn’t an assist.

This is why I've been saying for years that assists are a very flawed statistic.

You can beat 8 men role the ball past the keeper and have a team mate smash the crossbar from 6 yards, or can play a short free kick to someone with a simple 1 yard pass 30 yards from goal and see them smash it in the top corner and it is an assist.

Football statistics are so woeful when analytics are spoken about publicly because they need to be far more detail - I've absolutely no doubt that behind the scenes some of the analytics are really good and really worthwhile but they are either too secret, too hard to explain publicly in a short sharp stat or deemed too niche

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Waghorn on 08:38 - Sep 29 with 1553 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Waghorn on 08:14 - Sep 29 by itfcjoe

This is why I've been saying for years that assists are a very flawed statistic.

You can beat 8 men role the ball past the keeper and have a team mate smash the crossbar from 6 yards, or can play a short free kick to someone with a simple 1 yard pass 30 yards from goal and see them smash it in the top corner and it is an assist.

Football statistics are so woeful when analytics are spoken about publicly because they need to be far more detail - I've absolutely no doubt that behind the scenes some of the analytics are really good and really worthwhile but they are either too secret, too hard to explain publicly in a short sharp stat or deemed too niche

The chances created stat that the likes of Opta have started measuring tends to be a much better measure, although there's still a degree of objectivity to it admittedly

Plus people just dismiss it anyway because their own eyes (and totally not Twitter, the press and prejudice) tell them Ozil is a lazy waste of space despite consistently topping such stats...
[Post edited 29 Sep 2017 8:39]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024