Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Dove ad 09:13 - Oct 9 with 9316 viewsGlasgowBlue

showing a black woman turning into white woman.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/08/dove-apologises-for-ad-showing-bla

How the fcuk did this get through what must be a series of group meetings and discussions?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Dove ad on 09:19 - Oct 9 with 8065 viewsPendejo

Didn't someone* post yesterday that the white woman does a reveal to Asian**? Would folks be happy if the white woman did the reveal to black or would peeps be upset that the white woman was used before the black woman?

*Dolly the industry insider?
**The point being made that Dove was suitable for all skin types.

Personally, I see this as being as much reason for outrage as Baa Baa Black Sheep & Black Board being deemed offensive.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

The Dove ad on 09:20 - Oct 9 with 8057 viewsTLA

I saw this yesterday - their ad from 2011 with a black woman as the 'before' and a white woman as the 'after' seemed even more bizarre. In 2015 they also had the tagline 'from dark to normal skin' on a product.

It's hard to understand what positive point they are making with these adverts.
The Dove ad on 09:57 - Oct 9 with 7991 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Dove ad on 09:19 - Oct 9 by Pendejo

Didn't someone* post yesterday that the white woman does a reveal to Asian**? Would folks be happy if the white woman did the reveal to black or would peeps be upset that the white woman was used before the black woman?

Personally, I see this as being as much reason for outrage as Baa Baa Black Sheep & Black Board being deemed offensive.

In the context you have described then that is fair enough. But the one that was used for facebook advertising only showed a black woman turning into a white woman so I can understand why it could be seen as offensive to black people.

Iron Lion Zion

The Dove ad on 10:04 - Oct 9 with 7969 viewsPendejo

The Dove ad on 09:57 - Oct 9 by GlasgowBlue

In the context you have described then that is fair enough. But the one that was used for facebook advertising only showed a black woman turning into a white woman so I can understand why it could be seen as offensive to black people.

I know my brain is wired differently and I can be a bit of a weirdo [oh & I'm white] but the reveal is no different [for me] to Jon Voight ripping off his face to reveal Tom Cruise in the baggage car of the Eurostar in Mission Impossible... should Voight be upset that he turned into a Scientologist?

Having said that seen the other comments and there appears to be a trend. Shame as Dove did great work using real women instead of models in ads a decade ago.

uberima fides

The Dove ad on 10:24 - Oct 9 with 7915 viewsTLA

The Dove ad on 10:04 - Oct 9 by Pendejo

I know my brain is wired differently and I can be a bit of a weirdo [oh & I'm white] but the reveal is no different [for me] to Jon Voight ripping off his face to reveal Tom Cruise in the baggage car of the Eurostar in Mission Impossible... should Voight be upset that he turned into a Scientologist?

Having said that seen the other comments and there appears to be a trend. Shame as Dove did great work using real women instead of models in ads a decade ago.

I genuinely can't believe that these ads are meant to be racist - there would be no point. I'm also very far away from being easily offended. I just can't understand how they would get through a process without someone pointing out that it might appear that one skin colour is seen as being preferable to another, or one is more 'normal'.
Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 10:25 - Oct 9 with 7914 viewsPendejo

The Dove ad on 10:04 - Oct 9 by Pendejo

But please explain to me what is racist about this...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/dove-unilever-personal-care-raci

Black woman takes off sweater to reveal white woman, who takes off sweater to reveal "Asian" woman, who takes off sweater to reveal black woman... repeats.

The only constant is the container of Dove the intention being the soap is good for all skin types.

Again another example of a society that takes to social media the moment it gets slightly upset with any damn thing rather than taking action via ballot box etc.

There are multiple wars ongoing on this planet, with billions of infractions of human rights, the richest 1% of the world have as much wealth as the remaining 99%. There is enough money in the world for absolutely NO-ONE to live in poverty. Slavery, people trafficking corrupt nations, companies & individuals.

And folks get upset with Dove using an age-old TV trick where someone becomes someone else.. in this case, a black woman takes off a sweater to reveal a white woman who takes off a sweater to reveal... no need to repeat myself surely.

Simply explain the down arrow... please

uberima fides

The Dove ad on 10:35 - Oct 9 with 7903 viewsDolly2.0

Shocking 'story' by the Guardian, totally failing to mention the white woman takes her top off to reveal an Asian woman, who takes her top off to reveal the black woman again, etc...

Not just lazy but disingenuous journalism.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2017 10:41]

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

The Dove ad on 10:36 - Oct 9 with 7882 viewsDolly2.0

The Dove ad on 09:19 - Oct 9 by Pendejo

I didn't post anything on it yesterday... but have seen your link showing the full story today.

Terrible journalism by the Guardian.

Login to get fewer ads

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 11:05 - Oct 9 with 7820 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 10:25 - Oct 9 by Pendejo

But please explain to me what is racist about this...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/dove-unilever-personal-care-raci

Black woman takes off sweater to reveal white woman, who takes off sweater to reveal "Asian" woman, who takes off sweater to reveal black woman... repeats.

The only constant is the container of Dove the intention being the soap is good for all skin types.

Again another example of a society that takes to social media the moment it gets slightly upset with any damn thing rather than taking action via ballot box etc.

There are multiple wars ongoing on this planet, with billions of infractions of human rights, the richest 1% of the world have as much wealth as the remaining 99%. There is enough money in the world for absolutely NO-ONE to live in poverty. Slavery, people trafficking corrupt nations, companies & individuals.

And folks get upset with Dove using an age-old TV trick where someone becomes someone else.. in this case, a black woman takes off a sweater to reveal a white woman who takes off a sweater to reveal... no need to repeat myself surely.

Simply explain the down arrow... please

I don't think it's really that simple.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/feminism/2016/01/dark-what-behind-india-s-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/04/24/skin-whitening-beauty_n_9753900.html

I'm sure Dove didn't mean to play into that deliberately, but the fact is they have, and that's what people are concerned about. Just because something isn't an issue for you or me personally, that doesn't mean it's a non-issue and people are 'getting upset about nothing'.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2017 11:07]
The Dove ad on 11:20 - Oct 9 with 7773 viewsPendejo

The Dove ad on 10:24 - Oct 9 by TLA

I genuinely can't believe that these ads are meant to be racist - there would be no point. I'm also very far away from being easily offended. I just can't understand how they would get through a process without someone pointing out that it might appear that one skin colour is seen as being preferable to another, or one is more 'normal'.

Purely as devil's advocate...

Surely the white supremacist folks should be getting upset that;-
1. The white woman doesn't come first and it is a sign of creeping overt political correctness that the black woman appears first
2. That the white woman turns into an Asian

Hey ho... hardly in this league tho'
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/28/china-racist-detergent-advert-outr

uberima fides

The Dove ad on 11:22 - Oct 9 with 7768 viewsPendejo

The Dove ad on 10:36 - Oct 9 by Dolly2.0

I didn't post anything on it yesterday... but have seen your link showing the full story today.

Apologies for incorrect name drop - was too lazy to look back at yesterday's stuff - I didn't read the article simply watched the offending video

uberima fides

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 11:24 - Oct 9 with 7757 viewsDolly2.0

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 11:05 - Oct 9 by BlueLikeJazz

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/feminism/2016/01/dark-what-behind-india-s-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/04/24/skin-whitening-beauty_n_9753900.html

I'm sure Dove didn't mean to play into that deliberately, but the fact is they have, and that's what people are concerned about. Just because something isn't an issue for you or me personally, that doesn't mean it's a non-issue and people are 'getting upset about nothing'.

What have either of those links got to do with Dove? Dove aren't promoting a skin whitening cream.

Their campaign shows 3 women with different skin types taking their tops off to reveal the next woman (the message being for all skin types).

You, and others looking to be offended, are reading way too much into this IMO.

Racism & modern culture on 11:46 - Oct 9 with 7727 viewsPendejo

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 11:05 - Oct 9 by BlueLikeJazz

India "caste system" and all that + whitening products.

India's caste system
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-35650616
One crazy messed up system in a country where culturally they think its ok to rape a man's sister because he raped someone

Whitening products
Multi-billion pound industry arising directly from racism

Both your examples are good for highlighting the insidious way in which racism continues to permeate the world.
Herbie Hancock had to use a video with robots in as there was reticence to show black artists on MTV [allegedly]
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=22025
Michael Jackson... well enough said

Racism in every form is a disgrace.

Had Dove's advert shown the black woman turning white whilst using their soap, I'd agree, but it doesn't.

The following Michael Jackson video shows black people turning into white people.. however, the song lyrics ensure contextual understanding.
[oh and there's no soap container in foreground]

uberima fides

Now undertaken the due dilligence lacking before on 11:51 - Oct 9 with 7718 viewsPendejo

The Dove ad on 11:22 - Oct 9 by Pendejo

Apologies for incorrect name drop - was too lazy to look back at yesterday's stuff - I didn't read the article simply watched the offending video

Darth Koont makes the excellent point on this matter. Your [Dolly2.0] post on advertising was the clown car ad.

uberima fides

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 12:02 - Oct 9 with 7685 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 11:24 - Oct 9 by Dolly2.0

What have either of those links got to do with Dove? Dove aren't promoting a skin whitening cream.

Their campaign shows 3 women with different skin types taking their tops off to reveal the next woman (the message being for all skin types).

Oh for heaven's sake Dolly, I'm not 'looking to be offended', I'm simply trying to be a little bit more nuanced and explain why it might be an issue for some people. I should have known that was a waste of time these days.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2017 12:03]
The Dove ad on 12:14 - Oct 9 with 7650 viewsimsureazzure

The Dove ad on 10:36 - Oct 9 by Dolly2.0

Also repeated by the BBC, when I first saw the headline I thought how the hell did that get approved?

Dug a little deeper and the full ad reveals the context, classic case of BBC and guardian wanting to be offended.
Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 13:54 - Oct 9 with 7554 viewsDolly2.0

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 12:02 - Oct 9 by BlueLikeJazz

Oh for heaven's sake Dolly, I'm not 'looking to be offended', I'm simply trying to be a little bit more nuanced and explain why it might be an issue for some people. I should have known that was a waste of time these days.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2017 12:03]

You're not being nuanced enough to talk about the full context of the ad, and you've not addressed my points either (that what you posted have nothing to do with Dove's campaign, a that the ad isn't simply a black person turning white as first reported).

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 13:56 - Oct 9 with 7547 viewsStokieBlue

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 11:24 - Oct 9 by Dolly2.0

The trouble is loads of people nowadays are looking to be offended, you know this.

So Dove should have been a bit smarter, or more correctly, their hired advertising company should have been.

This was obviously going to happen.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Dove ad on 13:59 - Oct 9 with 7536 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Dove, dove, dove, dove, dove, dove.........job done !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The Dove ad on 14:02 - Oct 9 with 7530 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"Unilever washes whiter !"

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 14:03 - Oct 9 with 7521 viewsDolly2.0

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 13:56 - Oct 9 by StokieBlue

The trouble is loads of people nowadays are looking to be offended, you know this.

So Dove should have been a bit smarter, or more correctly, their hired advertising company should have been.

SB

Oh yeah I agree. They were on dodgy ground and taking a big risk.

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 14:05 - Oct 9 with 7518 viewsGlasgowBlue

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 13:56 - Oct 9 by StokieBlue

SB

My point entirely. I don't believe for a single moment that there was any intent to offend or that there was any racist intent behind the ad. But this would have gone through group-think several times. Surely somebody stood up and said "hang on a minute. We are a soap company and we are turning a black girl white. This may cause offence".

Iron Lion Zion

The Dove ad on 14:05 - Oct 9 with 7516 viewsmediamatt

This nonsense and the ONS gender question story are the latest to cause my eyes to roll and head to shake.
Doomed I tell you, doomed.
Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 14:11 - Oct 9 with 7498 viewsDolly2.0

Libero I don't mind a the down arrow on 14:05 - Oct 9 by GlasgowBlue

My point entirely. I don't believe for a single moment that there was any intent to offend or that there was any racist intent behind the ad. But this would have gone through group-think several times. Surely somebody stood up and said "hang on a minute. We are a soap company and we are turning a black girl white. This may cause offence".

Have you seen the full ad in Pendejo's link?

I agree they were on iffy ground but it's nowhere near as bad as portrayed in the article you linked to in the OP.

The Dove ad on 16:13 - Oct 9 with 7379 viewsbluebud

Pendejo

"Both your examples are good for highlighting the insidious way in which racism continues to permeate the world.
Herbie Hancock had to use a video with robots in as there was reticence to show black artists on MTV [allegedly]"

...you mean the single from the album Future Shock? called Rockit? ......must've been a nightmare for them to use robots, forced into it by those racists at MTV, yeah, those guys who played Musical Youth, Bob Marley, Grace Jones and look...I could go on forever. I know you wrote allegedly...absurd would be better.

As for the statement about racism continuing to permeate the world....I'm sure you could find something a bit more recent than a 1983 music video which has nothing to do with racism.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024