Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New York 13:35 - Oct 31 with 8003 viewsJakeITFC

Going on Thursday.

Anything I must do? Got 5 nights, already got a few sporting things planned so don't worry about suggesting those. Thanks in advance.
New York on 13:38 - Oct 31 with 7280 viewsBluejames

Top of the Rock, 8am ( or earliest it opens)
New York on 13:39 - Oct 31 with 7279 viewsSpruceMoose

I can probably make some suggestions, but what kind of stuff do you actually like doing? There's loads of historical stuff for example, but if that's not you;re bag I won't waste your time suggesting it!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

New York on 13:40 - Oct 31 with 7277 viewsStokieBlue

The High Line.

Must be lovely in the autumnal weather, can stop for a rooftop cocktail half way along.

http://www.thehighline.org/

If you get bored of the steaks (unlikely) then this place is nice for lunch:

http://www.bastapastanyc.com/

The pasta mixed and then served out of a giant wheel of parmesan at your table is superb.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

New York on 13:46 - Oct 31 with 7255 viewsSpruceMoose

New York on 13:39 - Oct 31 by SpruceMoose

I can probably make some suggestions, but what kind of stuff do you actually like doing? There's loads of historical stuff for example, but if that's not you;re bag I won't waste your time suggesting it!

1) Take a trip on the Staten Island Ferry. It's free. Don't worry about visiting Staten Island, there's nothing there, but it does offer great views of Lower Manhattan.

2) Top of the Rock. Better than the Empire State building as it is quieter, cheaper and you can actually see the Empire State Building. There's also a bar up there, with a great terrace.

3) If you're into museums, check out the Met. Don;t be fooled by the admission fee, it is suggested admission price only. Slap down $5 instead of the $20+ they suggest. They won't think anything of it.

4) Get out to Brooklyn or Queens. If you're a beer drinker there are loads of great tap rooms/breweries - Other Half, SingleCut, Brooklyn Brewery, Threes, Folksbier, Torst etc.

5) Just walk about, it's the best way to see stuff as you go from neighborhood to neighborhood. Suggested routes, walk W4th Street through Greenwich Village, walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, stroll along the High Line.

If you want to PM where what part of the city you'll be staying in I can probably suggest some bars/food places etc.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

New York on 13:48 - Oct 31 with 7246 viewsPendejo

New York on 13:39 - Oct 31 by SpruceMoose

You are supplying this information free now are you? No demand for $15.99 + VAT

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

New York on 13:49 - Oct 31 with 7235 viewsSpruceMoose

New York on 13:48 - Oct 31 by Pendejo

You are supplying this information free now are you? No demand for $15.99 + VAT

Excuse me, please do not interrupt my long con.

New York on 13:49 - Oct 31 with 7237 viewsLesta_Tractor

Don't eat between now and Thursday, you'll need the space.

Top of the rock early in the morning is pretty cool.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

New York on 14:03 - Oct 31 with 7187 viewsitfcjoe

Obvious things are obvious for a reason would be my advice

Top of the rock, try and go when weather is clear

Spent some time in Central Park, but being cold may not be ideal to spend too long but need to have a walk round it.

The 9/11 memorial will occupy a whole day as is so brilliantly done in the museum

Head over to the Statue of Liberty and spend a bit of time at Ellis Island heading around the museum of immigration there

Guggenheim is a stunningly designed building from the outside and inside although I'm not a huge art fan

Head to some bars, sit at the bar and watch sports and make your way through the dozens of beers on tap, eating chicken wings and meat.

The High Line is great.

Loads more too, you'll be booking to go back within a week of returning....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

New York on 14:27 - Oct 31 with 7143 viewsJakeITFC

New York on 13:38 - Oct 31 by Bluejames

Top of the Rock, 8am ( or earliest it opens)

Is it worth booking in advance or just turning up?
New York on 14:32 - Oct 31 with 7123 viewsTonyj

New York on 13:46 - Oct 31 by SpruceMoose

1) Take a trip on the Staten Island Ferry. It's free. Don't worry about visiting Staten Island, there's nothing there, but it does offer great views of Lower Manhattan.

2) Top of the Rock. Better than the Empire State building as it is quieter, cheaper and you can actually see the Empire State Building. There's also a bar up there, with a great terrace.

3) If you're into museums, check out the Met. Don;t be fooled by the admission fee, it is suggested admission price only. Slap down $5 instead of the $20+ they suggest. They won't think anything of it.

4) Get out to Brooklyn or Queens. If you're a beer drinker there are loads of great tap rooms/breweries - Other Half, SingleCut, Brooklyn Brewery, Threes, Folksbier, Torst etc.

5) Just walk about, it's the best way to see stuff as you go from neighborhood to neighborhood. Suggested routes, walk W4th Street through Greenwich Village, walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, stroll along the High Line.

If you want to PM where what part of the city you'll be staying in I can probably suggest some bars/food places etc.

very wierdly, I did all those things there* (swapping the Met for the Guggenheim) and can also reccomend them.

*is your name Michael and did you come with me on my trip?

Edit: left field suggestion: try Rooservelt Island - other worldly and strangely quiet given where it is.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 14:34]
New York on 14:33 - Oct 31 with 7118 viewsfactual_blue

You could try counting the cars on the New Jersey turnpike.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

New York on 14:41 - Oct 31 with 7095 viewsAxeldalai_lama

We found the new york pass massively good value.
https://www.newyorkpass.com

river cruises, bus tours etc included as well as 9/11 memorial, empire states building, top of the rock, Moma, intrepid, guggenhiem, yankee stadium tour, madam tussauds and 80 odd other big attractions including walking tours, food tours etc.

The only downside, if you can call it that, was that we were absolutely knackered cramming it all in!
New York on 15:10 - Oct 31 with 7033 viewsartsbossbeard

Pack decent shoes and walk.

Looks like everyone else has covered most things although I'll add:

Pizza at Grimaldi's, Brooklyn. Amazing.

Batting cages @ Chelsea Pier. Decent laugh not being able to hit a baseball whilst little kids connect wonderfully.

Mr Dennehy's is a decent sports bar in Manhattan. Plenty of Brits gather there for the footy, if that's your sort of thing. Owner is a big Everton fan. Not too far from Chelsea Pier either.

Fantastic place, you'll love it.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

New York on 15:17 - Oct 31 with 7020 viewschiddley

go to Tacombi mexican restaurant.
go to the best burgers in NY . The Burger Joint. www.burgerjointny.com/56thstreet Trust me on this one.
Soho for shopping and bars.

Poll: The best joke petition of the last few days

New York on 15:23 - Oct 31 with 7000 viewsbluefunk

Free stuff - Staten Island Ferry, The Public Library, Grand Central Station (a must visit imo) Central Park, if it's your first visit Times Sq, just to say you've been there. Walk around SoHo for some of the old (for NYC) buildings, like the Singer building,

If you are into museums The Met is absolutely wonderful and has a great roof top with views of Central Park.

If you can get across to Brooklyn just before sundown, there's the classic view of Manhattan as the lights go on - well worth it

But generally walk around and enjoy the experience, especially if you organise your days to make the most of your time, for example the 9/11 museum is within easy walking distance of Wall Street and the Staten Island ferry terminal.
New York on 15:38 - Oct 31 with 6966 viewsSpruceMoose

New York on 14:32 - Oct 31 by Tonyj

very wierdly, I did all those things there* (swapping the Met for the Guggenheim) and can also reccomend them.

*is your name Michael and did you come with me on my trip?

Edit: left field suggestion: try Rooservelt Island - other worldly and strangely quiet given where it is.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 14:34]

Sorry, I'm not a Michael!

Roosevelt Island can be good for a quick stroll, there is something weird about it. Can also catch the sky tram thing across the river from there, which is pretty fun.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 15:39]

New York on 15:42 - Oct 31 with 6941 viewsbluejake78

We did the West coast Nothing booked but we did stay in ShOOT holes.3600 miles but I was glad to get back to Suffolk.A good day on the beach but Suffolk is for me.I won't be going back.
New York on 16:07 - Oct 31 with 6888 viewsitfcjoe

New York on 14:41 - Oct 31 by Axeldalai_lama

We found the new york pass massively good value.
https://www.newyorkpass.com

river cruises, bus tours etc included as well as 9/11 memorial, empire states building, top of the rock, Moma, intrepid, guggenhiem, yankee stadium tour, madam tussauds and 80 odd other big attractions including walking tours, food tours etc.

The only downside, if you can call it that, was that we were absolutely knackered cramming it all in!

I would second that, but me and Mrs itfcjoe like an action packed busy holiday so if you want something a bit more leisurely it may not work as well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

New York on 16:34 - Oct 31 with 6853 viewsSpruceMoose

New York on 15:42 - Oct 31 by bluejake78

We did the West coast Nothing booked but we did stay in ShOOT holes.3600 miles but I was glad to get back to Suffolk.A good day on the beach but Suffolk is for me.I won't be going back.

California's loss, I'm sure

New York on 16:40 - Oct 31 with 6844 viewsBurwell_Blue

The best hidden burger joint in NYC

http://www.parkermeridien.com/eat/burger-joint/
New York on 16:47 - Oct 31 with 6826 viewsJoeSoap

New York on 14:27 - Oct 31 by JakeITFC

Is it worth booking in advance or just turning up?

Best to book first for top of the rock.

“At first nothing will happen to us, and later on it will happen to us again.”

New York on 16:59 - Oct 31 with 6797 viewsSpruceMoose

New York on 16:47 - Oct 31 by JoeSoap

Best to book first for top of the rock.

Top of the Rock costs about $40 I think, for the basic experience. An alternative, in the same building, is to reserve a table at the Rainbow Room for free. It'll just cost you drinks (one drink per person minimum) They have an outside terrace too, for all your photographic needs (they're on the 65th floor, the Top of the Rock experience is 67th, 69th and 70th floors.

https://rainbowroom.com/bar-sixty-five/

That'll be $15.99 please.

New York on 17:02 - Oct 31 with 6789 viewsStokieBlue

New York on 16:59 - Oct 31 by SpruceMoose

Top of the Rock costs about $40 I think, for the basic experience. An alternative, in the same building, is to reserve a table at the Rainbow Room for free. It'll just cost you drinks (one drink per person minimum) They have an outside terrace too, for all your photographic needs (they're on the 65th floor, the Top of the Rock experience is 67th, 69th and 70th floors.

https://rainbowroom.com/bar-sixty-five/

That'll be $15.99 please.

This place is good for rooftop drinks:

https://www.thepresslounge.com/

It's great because you get a view of the river as well as a great view of Manhattan as the surrounding buildings are smaller giving you a great overall view.

To be fair, there are loads of good bars in NYC though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

New York on 17:06 - Oct 31 with 6778 viewsartsbossbeard

I forgot to mention.

This place was brilliant for food, drinks and ambiance.

http://gawker.com/the-best-restaurant-in-new-york-is-le-train-bleu-in-blo-155655

It's in Bloomingdales too.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

New York on 01:58 - Nov 1 with 6597 viewsSwansea_Blue

Maybe give Lower Manhattan a miss

Although it'll probably be one of the safest cities over here now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024