Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD musicians 14:52 - Nov 14 with 5232 viewsGlasgowBlue

My daughter wants a home studio in her bedroom. She currently plays acoustic guitar and electric keyboard.

What does she need for me to set this up?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

TWTD musicians on 14:59 - Nov 14 with 5204 viewsWD19

Talent.
TWTD musicians on 14:59 - Nov 14 with 5208 viewsdickie

Fairly decent computer, preferably Mac for Garageband or Logic, focusrite scarlett 2i4 or 2i2 interface, condenser microphone, xlr leads
TWTD musicians on 15:00 - Nov 14 with 5193 viewsdickie

TWTD musicians on 14:59 - Nov 14 by dickie

Fairly decent computer, preferably Mac for Garageband or Logic, focusrite scarlett 2i4 or 2i2 interface, condenser microphone, xlr leads

Oh and a mic stand
TWTD musicians on 15:06 - Nov 14 with 5175 viewsdickie

TWTD musicians on 15:00 - Nov 14 by dickie

Oh and a mic stand

Headphones!
TWTD musicians on 15:14 - Nov 14 with 5161 viewsTIB

Dickie has given a fairly good rundown. A good set of monitors and headphones a must also...the key though...is...patience. Taking the time to find the software they like working in, understanding its abilities and how to get the best results with what you have.

There are some great books out there for budding musicians moving into the world of recording music...Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio a great one.

If you need to know about anything, drop me a message

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

TWTD musicians on 15:24 - Nov 14 with 5140 viewssparks

TWTD musicians on 15:14 - Nov 14 by TIB

Dickie has given a fairly good rundown. A good set of monitors and headphones a must also...the key though...is...patience. Taking the time to find the software they like working in, understanding its abilities and how to get the best results with what you have.

There are some great books out there for budding musicians moving into the world of recording music...Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio a great one.

If you need to know about anything, drop me a message

Acoustic treatment- at the very least some bass traps if necessary. Depends on the room of course, but you can spend on all the kit you like- if you don't have a room which works, the result will be poor.

Dont need a mac either- PCs just as good imo. Cubase, Pro Tools, or- for free- Reaper is a very respectable recording software system with masses of open source plug ins and support.

Key therefore is adecent DAW, appropriate mics (at least one condenser for the guitar- ideally a matched pair, and then a separate one for hte vocals and a Pop Shield is a must).

You can get very good results though with a two channel focusrite or similar, reaper, and an £80 Condenser mic.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

TWTD musicians on 17:01 - Nov 14 with 5066 viewsGlasgowBlue

TWTD musicians on 15:24 - Nov 14 by sparks

Acoustic treatment- at the very least some bass traps if necessary. Depends on the room of course, but you can spend on all the kit you like- if you don't have a room which works, the result will be poor.

Dont need a mac either- PCs just as good imo. Cubase, Pro Tools, or- for free- Reaper is a very respectable recording software system with masses of open source plug ins and support.

Key therefore is adecent DAW, appropriate mics (at least one condenser for the guitar- ideally a matched pair, and then a separate one for hte vocals and a Pop Shield is a must).

You can get very good results though with a two channel focusrite or similar, reaper, and an £80 Condenser mic.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far. Some of the stuff I have knocking about in the garage. A pair of Whardale Titan 15A active speakers will work as monitors. She can have an older spare laptop which has 8GB RAM so that should be powerful enough for the software.

The free software sounds like a good option until she knows exactly what she wants. Is the two Chanel foscusite a mixer which will take the music into the laptop?

Iron Lion Zion

TWTD musicians on 17:33 - Nov 14 with 5046 viewsbrogansnose

TWTD musicians on 17:01 - Nov 14 by GlasgowBlue

Thanks to everyone for the help so far. Some of the stuff I have knocking about in the garage. A pair of Whardale Titan 15A active speakers will work as monitors. She can have an older spare laptop which has 8GB RAM so that should be powerful enough for the software.

The free software sounds like a good option until she knows exactly what she wants. Is the two Chanel foscusite a mixer which will take the music into the laptop?

The mixer will be in the software. The Focusrite is the interface which gets the sound into the computer.
Login to get fewer ads

TWTD musicians on 17:36 - Nov 14 with 5035 viewsGlasgowBlue

TWTD musicians on 17:33 - Nov 14 by brogansnose

The mixer will be in the software. The Focusrite is the interface which gets the sound into the computer.

Right. Thanks.

Iron Lion Zion

TWTD musicians on 17:54 - Nov 14 with 5018 viewssparks

TWTD musicians on 17:36 - Nov 14 by GlasgowBlue

Right. Thanks.

Yup. Probably a concern for later on, but be aware that non monitor speakers are a bad idea for any serious mixing because they all colour the sound to an extent. Proper monitors are designed to be neutral and transparent. But definitely have a look at Reaper. Excellent and available for indefinite evaluation- though Id encourage purchase or donation if its used a lot!

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

TWTD musicians on 17:58 - Nov 14 with 5011 viewsericclacton

As far as people using home studios instead of pro studios, i would say great results can be achieved with either. However, a pro environment can be less frustrating and can actually save time and money,if you value your time. The other factor is in using actual pros to help with production. There are many people with home studios, but generally pros have already made all the mistakes a home recordist or hobbyist has yet to discover.

TWTD musicians on 18:07 - Nov 14 with 5001 viewsGlasgowBlue

TWTD musicians on 17:58 - Nov 14 by ericclacton

As far as people using home studios instead of pro studios, i would say great results can be achieved with either. However, a pro environment can be less frustrating and can actually save time and money,if you value your time. The other factor is in using actual pros to help with production. There are many people with home studios, but generally pros have already made all the mistakes a home recordist or hobbyist has yet to discover.

She's just turned 15 and is taking music Nat 5. Part of the exam is composition and she wants to record it to a good standard.

Iron Lion Zion

TWTD musicians on 18:31 - Nov 14 with 4970 viewsericclacton

TWTD musicians on 18:07 - Nov 14 by GlasgowBlue

She's just turned 15 and is taking music Nat 5. Part of the exam is composition and she wants to record it to a good standard.

Of course she does,she sounds a clever young lady all the best to her.

TWTD musicians on 18:44 - Nov 14 with 4953 viewsEJP

Out of interest, does she have an iPad?
TWTD musicians on 19:01 - Nov 14 with 4931 viewsGlasgowBlue

TWTD musicians on 18:44 - Nov 14 by EJP

Out of interest, does she have an iPad?

She does although its an older version with the wider charger.

Iron Lion Zion

TWTD musicians on 19:09 - Nov 14 with 4917 viewsGlasgowBlue

TWTD musicians on 18:31 - Nov 14 by ericclacton

Of course she does,she sounds a clever young lady all the best to her.

It was only 14 months ago that she showed any interest in music and asked for a keyboard. I got a basic one from Argos and she took to it straight away. Now she plays keyboard, guitar and composes her own music and lyrics. Her music teacher at school says she is the best they have at her age.

She's already asking if she can bask in Glasgow city centre on a Saturday.

My only concern is that as she is still learning the instruments and all that goes with that , having to learn the tech which goes with setting up a bedroom studio may bog her down and interfere with learning her instruments. Hence I am trying to do that side for her. Which I'm clueless about.

Iron Lion Zion

TWTD musicians on 19:27 - Nov 14 with 4908 viewsEJP

TWTD musicians on 19:01 - Nov 14 by GlasgowBlue

She does although its an older version with the wider charger.

There are iPad docks available with mic, jack and midi inputs, plus a multitude of apps ranging from GarageBand (free) to Cubasis (around £40) - Loads of synths, drum machines, amp simulation etc as well as mastering apps. I mixed an EP on my 3 year old iPad.

This site is excellent when it comes to music related apps - http://musicappblog.com

Drop me a DM if she considers the iPad route and i’ll explain the apps available.
TWTD musicians on 19:31 - Nov 14 with 4905 viewsericclacton

TWTD musicians on 19:09 - Nov 14 by GlasgowBlue

It was only 14 months ago that she showed any interest in music and asked for a keyboard. I got a basic one from Argos and she took to it straight away. Now she plays keyboard, guitar and composes her own music and lyrics. Her music teacher at school says she is the best they have at her age.

She's already asking if she can bask in Glasgow city centre on a Saturday.

My only concern is that as she is still learning the instruments and all that goes with that , having to learn the tech which goes with setting up a bedroom studio may bog her down and interfere with learning her instruments. Hence I am trying to do that side for her. Which I'm clueless about.

Young people can learn so quickly and soak up the subject matter like a sponge, you'll cope and enjoy every minute of it i'm sure.

TWTD musicians on 19:33 - Nov 14 with 4905 viewsGlasgowBlue

TWTD musicians on 19:27 - Nov 14 by EJP

There are iPad docks available with mic, jack and midi inputs, plus a multitude of apps ranging from GarageBand (free) to Cubasis (around £40) - Loads of synths, drum machines, amp simulation etc as well as mastering apps. I mixed an EP on my 3 year old iPad.

This site is excellent when it comes to music related apps - http://musicappblog.com

Drop me a DM if she considers the iPad route and i’ll explain the apps available.

Thanks. All of this makes me feel very old.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024