Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Zero hour contracts 16:37 - Nov 22 with 2152 viewsLord_Lucan

The relatively new term of zero hour contracts.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the difference between this and casual labour?

Aside from the fact that casual labour has been with us since the year dot and has kept many a family in some kind of wage for decades and decades.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Zero hour contracts on 16:39 - Nov 22 with 2153 viewsBlueBadger

With casual labour you're not contracted and free to go elsewhere if there's work. A zero-hours contract in the hands of an exploitative employer effectively places you at the beck and call of a single employer.

[Post edited 22 Nov 2017 17:29]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Zero hour contracts on 16:41 - Nov 22 with 2127 viewsStokieBlue

Zero hour contracts on 16:39 - Nov 22 by BlueBadger

With casual labour you're not contracted and free to go elsewhere if there's work. A zero-hours contract in the hands of an exploitative employer effectively places you at the beck and call of a single employer.

I thought people could turn down the hours if they wanted?

https://fullfact.org/economy/facts-about-zero-hour-contracts/

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Zero hour contracts on 16:43 - Nov 22 with 2114 viewsSpruceMoose

Zero hour contracts on 16:41 - Nov 22 by StokieBlue

I thought people could turn down the hours if they wanted?

https://fullfact.org/economy/facts-about-zero-hour-contracts/

SB

I wonder if doing so impacts the likelihood of being offered decent hours in the future?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Zero hour contracts on 16:45 - Nov 22 with 2105 viewsStokieBlue

Zero hour contracts on 16:43 - Nov 22 by SpruceMoose

I wonder if doing so impacts the likelihood of being offered decent hours in the future?

Almost certainly I would say, who would you offer the hours to? Someone who says yes or someone who sometimes says no?

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Zero hour contracts on 17:05 - Nov 22 with 2050 viewsLord_Lucan

Well I can understand the problems with that if it's correct.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Zero hour contracts on 17:09 - Nov 22 with 2042 viewsSpruceMoose

Zero hour contracts on 16:45 - Nov 22 by StokieBlue

Almost certainly I would say, who would you offer the hours to? Someone who says yes or someone who sometimes says no?

SB

Depends on a multitude of factors. Does one smell? Is one ugly? Do you have an irrational hatred of one of them?

It's tough at the top.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Zero hour contracts on 17:09 - Nov 22 with 2040 viewslocalboy78

Zero hour contracts on 17:05 - Nov 22 by Lord_Lucan

Well I can understand the problems with that if it's correct.

I live on what is effectively a zero hours contract. It's great and gives me the freedom to do things a "normal" job wouldn't. But I'm lucky. My boss is nice (well, he's an @rsehole but his wife who does all the work is nice). But from what I can tell they are too easily exploited. I certainly don't feel a lot of jealousy for all the Deliveroo riders hanging around waiting for a call in the p1ssing rain. Or the poor saps in Sports direct who could get a call at 6 tomorrow to find out they're needed and if they don't are not going to get another one.
Zero hour contracts on 17:26 - Nov 22 with 2011 viewsBlueBadger

Zero hour contracts on 17:09 - Nov 22 by localboy78

I live on what is effectively a zero hours contract. It's great and gives me the freedom to do things a "normal" job wouldn't. But I'm lucky. My boss is nice (well, he's an @rsehole but his wife who does all the work is nice). But from what I can tell they are too easily exploited. I certainly don't feel a lot of jealousy for all the Deliveroo riders hanging around waiting for a call in the p1ssing rain. Or the poor saps in Sports direct who could get a call at 6 tomorrow to find out they're needed and if they don't are not going to get another one.

I've been a bank nurse in the past which is effectively zero hours working, but that's been as a supplement to regular work and I've always had my 'regulars' who, as along I did show up every so often would keep me in mind.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Zero hour contracts on 17:28 - Nov 22 with 2005 viewsSarge

Zero hour contracts on 17:09 - Nov 22 by localboy78

Exactly this. I'm effectively on one too, there are pro's and con's depending very heavily on whether your boss/company is a crap one.
Zero hour contracts on 17:33 - Nov 22 with 1984 viewsLord_Lucan

Zero hour contracts on 16:45 - Nov 22 by StokieBlue

SB

But this would apply to what used to be referred to as casual labour as well really. If a regular turned up on site then they would more likely be selected than someone who is only there occasionally - for a multitude of reasons.

Zero hour contracts on 18:13 - Nov 22 with 1929 viewsSwansea_Blue

Depends on the contract. We use them at the Uni for student demonstrators, but they are free to work elsewhere. The students can also choose to work or not in any given week/month.

What it does do is save the HR department having to go through a rediculous number of right to work checks. For a zero hours contract you have to check documentation and see the person once, and then they can work as and when. Otherwise for a casual payment these checks would have to be undertaken for each piece of work, even if just a few hours long.

Zero hours contracts aren't a problem imo. Employers who abuse them are.when someone is on such a contract when they're doing a substantial part-time job or a full time job then it's taking the pee.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024