Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football 20:46 - Jan 6 with 4473 viewsartsbossbeard

Athlete first, footballer second.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 20:54 - Jan 6 with 4102 viewstextbackup

Little story.
Kyle hammond was in as RB for the game vs Brentford a couple of years back, last min change and MM put Emmanuel in (purely for his physical strength and height) - Emmanuel lost his man and we conceded a last min header from corner 2-2.
Literally everyone at the club saw KH as the better footballer, but MM wanted an athlete and size over footballing ability.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:04 - Jan 7 with 3923 viewspowinswitch

I vary rarely concur with you. You have nailed this one. Absolutely correct, and the antithesis of the very entertaining but unfortunately slow Darren Currie. I know which one I’d like to watch as did Joe Royle. He wouldn’t get in a McCarthy side though
on 08:08 - Jan 7 with 3910 views_

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 20:54 - Jan 6 by textbackup

Little story.
Kyle hammond was in as RB for the game vs Brentford a couple of years back, last min change and MM put Emmanuel in (purely for his physical strength and height) - Emmanuel lost his man and we conceded a last min header from corner 2-2.
Literally everyone at the club saw KH as the better footballer, but MM wanted an athlete and size over footballing ability.

on 08:09 - Jan 7 with 3905 views_

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:04 - Jan 7 by powinswitch

I vary rarely concur with you. You have nailed this one. Absolutely correct, and the antithesis of the very entertaining but unfortunately slow Darren Currie. I know which one I’d like to watch as did Joe Royle. He wouldn’t get in a McCarthy side though

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:11 - Jan 7 with 3896 viewsartsbossbeard

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:04 - Jan 7 by powinswitch

It's a bigger picture than just little ol' Ipswich though. The game has changed and we now seem to create proficient robotic footballers as a nation.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:15 - Jan 7 with 3883 viewsbrogansnose

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:11 - Jan 7 by artsbossbeard

It's a bigger picture than just little ol' Ipswich though. The game has changed and we now seem to create proficient robotic footballers as a nation.

............which is why a lot of British football really isn't all that when you analyse it which knocks on into the national side.
on 08:18 - Jan 7 with 3877 views_

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:11 - Jan 7 by artsbossbeard

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:35 - Jan 7 with 3830 viewsBrettenhamBlue

Looks physically imposing and has pace but one of the worst right-backs I've seen at the club. We need to sign a better back up player for Spence, or alternatively play the Wolf. I know I'll probably get loads of downmarks for this as a few posters seem to think he is a top quality right-back that will "eventually play for England"( quote from one poster).

MMcCarthyisaGod
Poll: Favourite ITFC victory of 2018?

Login to get fewer ads

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:41 - Jan 7 with 3806 viewsDubtractor

I said this to my mate after the brum game on opening day, but hoped I was wrong.

Doesn't excuse some of the stick he gets from the stands, but he really is a very poor footballer. If he had at least a half decent touch and passing ability he would be a hell of a full back, alas he does not.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:43 - Jan 7 with 3796 viewsSuperfrans

There is some truth in what you say, but I do think it’s unfair to single Iorfa out. He’s being slated at the moment by too many because he does indeed have a gangly style on the ball, but he’s not totally without some qualities - mostly about physique, pace, strength etc, as you say.

But we have had plenty of other defenders in our time who are strong, tall and physical rather than technically proficient, and not necessarily in recent years either - I’ve listed them before, but in fear of repetition Uhlenbeek, Thetis, Santos, Whelan, Tony Vaughan etc.

It is a shame that we feel the need to scapegoat our own players in the way we do.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:44 - Jan 7 with 3789 viewsSuperfrans

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 20:54 - Jan 6 by textbackup

Little story.

To be fair, the championship is a physical league, you do need to stand up for yourself - and it’s a massive step up from the under 23s to the first team, every player will tell you that.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2018 8:45]

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:47 - Jan 7 with 3779 viewsDubtractor

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:43 - Jan 7 by Superfrans

There is some truth in what you say, but I do think it’s unfair to single Iorfa out. He’s being slated at the moment by too many because he does indeed have a gangly style on the ball, but he’s not totally without some qualities - mostly about physique, pace, strength etc, as you say.

But we have had plenty of other defenders in our time who are strong, tall and physical rather than technically proficient, and not necessarily in recent years either - I’ve listed them before, but in fear of repetition Uhlenbeek, Thetis, Santos, Whelan, Tony Vaughan etc.

It is a shame that we feel the need to scapegoat our own players in the way we do.

But of those you listed, Uhlenbeek was famously shat, and the others were centre halfs who played as no nonsense stoppers where ball playing ability was not important.

Re Uhlenbeek, I remember TWTD (the paper version) running an advert for someone to collect balls from the Thames after he joined Fulham.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:49 - Jan 7 with 3761 viewsBluebell

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:41 - Jan 7 by Dubtractor

I said this to my mate after the brum game on opening day, but hoped I was wrong.

Doesn't excuse some of the stick he gets from the stands, but he really is a very poor footballer. If he had at least a half decent touch and passing ability he would be a hell of a full back, alas he does not.

You can certainly see why Wolves wanted rid.

I would prefer to bring Emmanuel back to cover for Spence. At least he is our player.
Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:55 - Jan 7 with 3745 viewsSuperfrans

on 08:18 - Jan 7 by _

As the game moves away from the physical challenge (as it undeniably is, especially in the Prem) this may become the case.

I’ve seen a number of incidents this season where a standard tackle has been deemed unlawful - the effective outlawing of the sliding tackle in recent years is leading to an outlawing of any kind of physical contact. The fact that a penalty can be awarded for a defender putting their arm across a striker (as was the case for penalty challenge on Lallana the other day) is evidence of this shift.

It won’t be long before it’s essentially a non-contact sport, this happening in the Prem before the Championship. The problem with this though is that this is all designed to allow the technical qualities at the top level to flourish - but at lower levels there just isnt the technical ability for this to work. Maybe these players will develop to help make it work, but I’m not convinced.

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:56 - Jan 7 with 3743 viewsDeano69

He doesn’t seem to have a footballing brain, more a suggestion box for which limb to move next.

New born giraffe on ice, was one thought I had.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 09:00 - Jan 7 with 3728 viewsBluebell

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:56 - Jan 7 by Deano69

He doesn’t seem to have a footballing brain, more a suggestion box for which limb to move next.

New born giraffe on ice, was one thought I had.

I knew he reminded me of something.........

[Post edited 7 Jan 2018 9:01]
Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 09:06 - Jan 7 with 3709 viewsSuperfrans

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:47 - Jan 7 by Dubtractor

But of those you listed, Uhlenbeek was famously shat, and the others were centre halfs who played as no nonsense stoppers where ball playing ability was not important.

Re Uhlenbeek, I remember TWTD (the paper version) running an advert for someone to collect balls from the Thames after he joined Fulham.

Thetis was certainly not a no-nonsense stopper (relative to those about him, like Cundy etc) he was a cavilier French artiste.... at least that’s how he was sold to us, in any case...

For a couple of seasons, he and Wilnis were know to those around me as Laurel & Hardy.

As for Uhlenbeek... wash your mouth out. He did a great job for us, with his unique marauding runs. “Uhlenbeek, Uhlenbeek running down the wing....” etc...

At the risk of sounding like an old frat, I do remember fans being a little more light hearted about these things back then. Yes, we recognised Uhlenbeek’s failures, but loved what he was good at too. A bit like we should with Iorfa, who is also able to make marauding runs, challenge their full backs etc. I used to sit in the West Stand back then and watching Gus kick into one of his regular runs down the wing used to make us all laugh like drains. It was fun and exhilarating.

I don’t know whether it’s the nature of social media and forums like this, which highlight the bitching and moaning. Maybe it was always this way, but those of us with a sunnier disposition were less aware of those with a cloud above their heads.

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 09:07 - Jan 7 with 3708 viewsStokieBlue

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:47 - Jan 7 by Dubtractor

To be honest I'd love Uhlenbeek at the moment. Someone willing to really bomb on at pace past the midfield and get some crosses in. Even if 1 in 5 was decent it's better than what we do at the moment.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 09:15 - Jan 7 with 3691 viewsDubtractor

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 09:06 - Jan 7 by Superfrans

Thetis was certainly not a no-nonsense stopper (relative to those about him, like Cundy etc) he was a cavilier French artiste.... at least that’s how he was sold to us, in any case...

For a couple of seasons, he and Wilnis were know to those around me as Laurel & Hardy.

As for Uhlenbeek... wash your mouth out. He did a great job for us, with his unique marauding runs. “Uhlenbeek, Uhlenbeek running down the wing....” etc...

At the risk of sounding like an old frat, I do remember fans being a little more light hearted about these things back then. Yes, we recognised Uhlenbeek’s failures, but loved what he was good at too. A bit like we should with Iorfa, who is also able to make marauding runs, challenge their full backs etc. I used to sit in the West Stand back then and watching Gus kick into one of his regular runs down the wing used to make us all laugh like drains. It was fun and exhilarating.

I don’t know whether it’s the nature of social media and forums like this, which highlight the bitching and moaning. Maybe it was always this way, but those of us with a sunnier disposition were less aware of those with a cloud above their heads.

I agree with Uhlenbeek, he was a popular player, despite his very clear limitations. I suspect that was helped by us being a good team to watch at the time.

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 09:19 - Jan 7 with 3675 viewsSuperfrans

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 09:15 - Jan 7 by Dubtractor

I agree with Uhlenbeek, he was a popular player, despite his very clear limitations. I suspect that was helped by us being a good team to watch at the time.

It was a better team to watch, it’s true.

That said, it’s important not to whitewash history - by 1999/2000 there were a fair few fans who felt Burley had gone as far as he could and, despite the good footballing style and our consistent play-off challenge, we were too nice as a team and didn’t have the steel to get through the play-offs.

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 10:18 - Jan 7 with 3591 viewsBrixtonBlue

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 08:43 - Jan 7 by Superfrans

But Iorfa isn't our player. Why are we developing a player for Wolves and watching him consistently making mistakes in our team when we could do that with a player we actually own (Emmanuel)?

Iorfa is I-awful. Send him back.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 10:18 - Jan 7 with 3588 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It worked out ok for Tyrone Mings though.........in a purely financial sense.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 11:00 - Jan 7 with 3484 viewsbournemouthblue

on 08:08 - Jan 7 by _

And is now playing lower league football so hardly pulling up trees?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

on 11:05 - Jan 7 with 3474 views_

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 11:00 - Jan 7 by bournemouthblue

And is now playing lower league football so hardly pulling up trees?

Iorfa: Perfect example of what's wrong with English football on 11:06 - Jan 7 with 3471 viewsHerbivore

Little story.

I saw Kyle Hammond play at Leiston yesterday. He was on the bench. I don't think we've missed much.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024