Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? 03:38 - Feb 11 with 15079 viewsmonytowbray

I can’t remember the last young British player to pop up with such style and flare. I mean, we make efficient players who can do a job, but I can’t think of any as gifted as he was.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 06:30 - Feb 11 with 7016 viewspowinswitch

They do, but then grizzly old feckers like McCarthy come and drum. They drum in the fact they need to d9 a proper job and all the dirty work. They drum out any natural instinctive talent. Some of the former is fine, but let these boys blossom. Let them learn from mistakes. They will as they have hunger and want to win and progress.
Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 06:30 - Feb 11 with 7013 viewstextbackup

Doz?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 07:32 - Feb 11 with 6971 viewsmonytowbray

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 06:30 - Feb 11 by powinswitch

They do, but then grizzly old feckers like McCarthy come and drum. They drum in the fact they need to d9 a proper job and all the dirty work. They drum out any natural instinctive talent. Some of the former is fine, but let these boys blossom. Let them learn from mistakes. They will as they have hunger and want to win and progress.

Whilst I totally relate to the sentiment, I was talking wider than just us. I really don’t want to think, let alone talk, about us after what I saw yesterday!

TWTD never forgets…

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 07:33 - Feb 11 with 6969 viewsmonytowbray

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 06:30 - Feb 11 by textbackup

Doz?

Not seen enough of him yet. He’s hot and cold for me game to game when I have.

TWTD never forgets…

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 08:05 - Feb 11 with 6918 viewsFtnfwest

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 07:33 - Feb 11 by monytowbray

Not seen enough of him yet. He’s hot and cold for me game to game when I have.

To be fair no one has, he’s only had 9 starts
on 08:13 - Feb 11 with 6899 views_

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 08:18 - Feb 11 with 6886 viewsglassblower

I rated Dyer very highly but I actually think he was a very modern player in that he was technically excellent, a fantastic athlete and tactically aware enough to play a number of positions - basically just a very very good modern player. We didn't make that many then - I don't think now is too different.
Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 09:01 - Feb 11 with 6805 viewsSuperblue95

on 08:13 - Feb 11 by _

Bolasie is from DR Congo.

Players like Resmond and Zaha rely almost solely on pace.

The rest of the players you named you could make a case for

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Login to get fewer ads

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 09:02 - Feb 11 with 6801 viewsstrikalite

Great documentary on BT last week about young players in academies being picked up at a stupidly early age when they should be out there with their mates just playing the game and having fun, until they're at least ten, even ten is too young imo..

Also, kids used to live with a ball, when was the last time you saw a few kids playing football on a field with jumpers as goalposts? I used to dribble a mini football to school which was about a mile away, would a academy player do such a thing? Too many kids just stop and pass now, they're just not brought up to run with a ball, well most aren't..
on 10:03 - Feb 11 with 6731 views_

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 09:01 - Feb 11 by Superblue95

Bolasie is from DR Congo.

Players like Resmond and Zaha rely almost solely on pace.

The rest of the players you named you could make a case for

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:09 - Feb 11 with 6708 viewsAce_High1

Forgetting the Ipswich connection, Dyer wasn't actually that good was he?

Was he any better than a Demarai Gray or Nathan Redmond now for example? Or Theo Walcott - he had pace but not a lot else.
on 10:11 - Feb 11 with 6700 views_

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:09 - Feb 11 by Ace_High1

Was he any better than a Demarai Gray or Nathan Redmond now for example? Or Theo Walcott - he had pace but not a lot else.

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:13 - Feb 11 with 6694 viewsBloomBlue

Harry Kane
on 10:15 - Feb 11 with 6685 views_

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:13 - Feb 11 by BloomBlue

Harry Kane

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:16 - Feb 11 with 6682 viewsAce_High1

on 10:11 - Feb 11 by _

Yes Walcott hasn't fulfilled his potential and has been disappointing really but still had a lot better career than Dyer.
Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:19 - Feb 11 with 6675 viewsshamboy

But Dyer came into the side in place of Williams and looked like a waif out on the pitch. You could see the exceptional ability but sadly he could not survive until he became unaturally muscled-up, and this in turn caused the musculo-skeletal injuries that devastated his career.
Doz may go the same way. Jenas did. Meanwhile, the archetypal English midfielder like Gareth Barry has a career of 600 games plus.
Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:19 - Feb 11 with 6670 viewsblueislander

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:16 - Feb 11 by Ace_High1

Yes Walcott hasn't fulfilled his potential and has been disappointing really but still had a lot better career than Dyer.

Walcott may still come good at Everton.
Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:28 - Feb 11 with 6640 viewsstrikalite

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:19 - Feb 11 by blueislander

Walcott may still come good at Everton.

He hasn't got the touch of Dyer, not that close control, great athlete and has great pace, quicker than Dyer, but as a natural footballer isn't a Dyer...imo anyway..
Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:29 - Feb 11 with 6638 viewsblue75

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:09 - Feb 11 by Ace_High1

Dyer was firstly a central midfielder who could play on the wing or at fullback those 2 are wingers imo Dyer was class loved watching him play.

Poll: Should McCarthy be sacked after telling Ipswich fans where to go?

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:31 - Feb 11 with 6633 viewstractorboy1978

Dyer was a phenomenal talent. If he had a better head on his shoulders, more guidance perhaps and better fortune with injuries he'd have played at the very top. Ferguson was very keen to sign him for Manchester United. He got 33 England caps during the time dubbed "The Golden Generation".
Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:33 - Feb 11 with 6625 viewsmonytowbray

Agree I may be applying a level of “starstruck young boy watching his heroes” element I’m not considering in hindsight.

It’s so hard to compare players of 20 years ago or beyond as it is. Totally different game now as someone here said. I still find it funny that as late as the early PL years it was standard for the best teams in the country to go down the pub midweek daytime after training and get bladdered.

I remember chatting to Iwan Roberts briefly and he said the money and expectations of fitness are now beyond what was even imaginable, even by 12-15 years ago.

TWTD never forgets…

on 10:33 - Feb 11 with 6623 views_

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:19 - Feb 11 by shamboy

But Dyer came into the side in place of Williams and looked like a waif out on the pitch. You could see the exceptional ability but sadly he could not survive until he became unaturally muscled-up, and this in turn caused the musculo-skeletal injuries that devastated his career.
Doz may go the same way. Jenas did. Meanwhile, the archetypal English midfielder like Gareth Barry has a career of 600 games plus.

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:51 - Feb 11 with 6578 viewsflimflam

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 09:02 - Feb 11 by strikalite

Great documentary on BT last week about young players in academies being picked up at a stupidly early age when they should be out there with their mates just playing the game and having fun, until they're at least ten, even ten is too young imo..

Also, kids used to live with a ball, when was the last time you saw a few kids playing football on a field with jumpers as goalposts? I used to dribble a mini football to school which was about a mile away, would a academy player do such a thing? Too many kids just stop and pass now, they're just not brought up to run with a ball, well most aren't..

2 lads in my boys under 9 team are with the academy also and they wind up the parents as do not pass but that is because at that age at the academy they are only encouraged to run with the ball.
Not sure how true it is but I know the dad of one of the lads really well so see no reason why he would make it up.
The attitude is that if they are comfortable in possession running with the ball from an early age then the passing side will all come naturally.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:57 - Feb 11 with 6567 viewsmonytowbray

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:51 - Feb 11 by flimflam

2 lads in my boys under 9 team are with the academy also and they wind up the parents as do not pass but that is because at that age at the academy they are only encouraged to run with the ball.
Not sure how true it is but I know the dad of one of the lads really well so see no reason why he would make it up.
The attitude is that if they are comfortable in possession running with the ball from an early age then the passing side will all come naturally.

This is true, I have heard via a couple I know with a lad at the academy that they have to be more selfish to get noticed by the club. I was also told Dozzer Snr advised this to them as he had to encourage Andre to do the exact same. Makes sense somewhat as it’s not a points mean prizes game at that level and more about building future talent.

Oddly I also know they are encouraged to keep the ball on the ground which is the oppisite of how we play under Mick!
[Post edited 11 Feb 2018 10:58]

TWTD never forgets…

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 11:04 - Feb 11 with 6556 viewsstrikalite

Do they make players like Dyer anymore in this country? on 10:51 - Feb 11 by flimflam

Well that is good to read...hopefully it's within small groups of 3 or 4 a side too, this cage football with mini goals is taking off it seems, hate seeing 10 year olds playing 11 a side stuff, hardly getting to see the ball, a total panic with no structure to it, hopefully that too is changing..

4 a side stuff gives kids no positions, nobody is tagged as a defender, they all express themselves....hence why the best defenders out there who can bring the ball out are foreign who have been playing like this for decades..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024