Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? 14:04 - Feb 13 with 27903 viewsBrixtonBlue

There was an oldish, but not THAT old, woman got on my bus the other day. I went to offer my seat but then I thought, is she going to be offended that I'm suggesting she's old?

The reason I thought this is probably because my mum had someone offer her a seat a few years ago. She said it was nice but made her feel old.

So where do you stand?*

*pun intended

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:06 - Feb 13 with 7819 viewshomer_123

Everyone is equal nowadays. First come first served innit

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:07 - Feb 13 with 7818 viewsLord_Lucan

No. It's easy.

You should give up your seat for any women, regardless of age.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:07 - Feb 13 with 7817 viewsBlueBadger

Personally, I'd rather risk offending someone than definitely feel like I'm being a selfish pr1ck. Basic decency, despite what some would have you believe, really doesn't cost anything.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:08 - Feb 13 with 7792 viewsGlasgowBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:07 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

No. It's easy.

This.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:08 - Feb 13 with 7799 viewsPJH

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:07 - Feb 13 by BlueBadger

Personally, I'd rather risk offending someone than definitely feel like I'm being a selfish pr1ck. Basic decency, despite what some would have you believe, really doesn't cost anything.

Unless they have got a yella and green scarf on of course.
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:09 - Feb 13 with 7786 viewsBlueBadger

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:08 - Feb 13 by PJH

Unless they have got a yella and green scarf on of course.

Oh no, definitely offer your seat. After sh1tting on it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:10 - Feb 13 with 7771 viewsSeablu

You didn't tell us what your teacher said when you offered up your seat.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:10 - Feb 13 with 7775 viewsGuthrum

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:07 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

No. It's easy.

Was about to post something similar.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:12 - Feb 13 with 7761 viewsReuser_is_God

No. It's easy.

Yeah but equality innit.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:13 - Feb 13 with 7757 viewsJ2BLUE

Think you're overthinking it. Could be any number of reasons without someone assuming you think they are old. Maybe you offer your seat to all women or prefer standing and blocking the entire gangway with your backpack.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:15 - Feb 13 with 7747 viewsBrixtonBlue

No. It's easy.

I mean, that's very noble, and I'm totally with you. But you seem to be rather missing the point. As with my mum example, do you want to make a not-that-old-really woman feel old?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:17 - Feb 13 with 7737 viewsRyorry

I'd have been more offended by you calling me "old" tbh! . I mean we know we're getting on - just don't like to be reminded of it ...

Seriously - everyone's an individual, and likely to feel differently to others.

Personally, I'd have been more touched that some middle-aged man in some anonymous London crowd was considerate & thoughtful enough to offer his seat up for me, than remotely offended by being thought "old" ('elderly' or 'senior' perhaps more tactful). As to whether I'd have accepted - depends simply on how good/bad my back/energy levels were on the day etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:18 - Feb 13 with 7734 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:13 - Feb 13 by J2BLUE

Think you're overthinking it. Could be any number of reasons without someone assuming you think they are old. Maybe you offer your seat to all women or prefer standing and blocking the entire gangway with your backpack.

No I prefer to stay seated however old they are, or injured, and I put my backpack on the seat next to me.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:18 - Feb 13 with 7726 viewsJ2BLUE

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:15 - Feb 13 by BrixtonBlue

I mean, that's very noble, and I'm totally with you. But you seem to be rather missing the point. As with my mum example, do you want to make a not-that-old-really woman feel old?

I hope you don't think about every decision in this much detail. It's quite a minor thing. You're never going to know how someone feels. She might have been on her feet for hours and really wanting to sit down. She might have have got on a hundred times before when there hasn't been a seat and now doesn't even really think about it.

Don't waste your time trying to work out the answer.

Truly impaired.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:18 - Feb 13 with 7724 viewsBlueBadger

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:15 - Feb 13 by BrixtonBlue

I'd rather that, than run the risk of having an older-and-potentially not-very-steady-on-their-feet person of any sex needlessly exposed to risk of a broken hip, to be honest. If someone IS offended you can always apologise.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:20 - Feb 13 with 7722 viewsJ2BLUE

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:18 - Feb 13 by BrixtonBlue

No I prefer to stay seated however old they are, or injured, and I put my backpack on the seat next to me.

Fair enough. I haven't been on a bus for about 15 years.

Truly impaired.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:21 - Feb 13 with 7716 viewsLord_Lucan

But they can think what they want, they might even correctly assume that you are giving up your seat for a women as you are a gentleman, age simply doesn't come into it.

If they are a mad feminist and tell you to feck off it doesn't matter, you will know in your mind that you did the right thing. Just say "Sorry Sweetheart" and get on with your day.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:23 - Feb 13 with 7700 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:17 - Feb 13 by Ryorry

I'd have been more offended by you calling me "old" tbh! . I mean we know we're getting on - just don't like to be reminded of it ...

Seriously - everyone's an individual, and likely to feel differently to others.

Personally, I'd have been more touched that some middle-aged man in some anonymous London crowd was considerate & thoughtful enough to offer his seat up for me, than remotely offended by being thought "old" ('elderly' or 'senior' perhaps more tactful). As to whether I'd have accepted - depends simply on how good/bad my back/energy levels were on the day etc.

I doubt she reads TWTD TBH.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:23 - Feb 13 with 7704 viewsRyorry

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:10 - Feb 13 by Guthrum

Was about to post something similar.

Actually, speaking as a woman (for those who didn't know), I disagree.

As a young-ish, fit & healthy woman, I wouldn't have wanted that. And obviously anyone who needed it more, regardless of gender. should get it, supposing there were a young disabled or ill man on board, or gent of senior years.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:26 - Feb 13 with 7686 viewsBrixtonBlue

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:18 - Feb 13 by J2BLUE

I hope you don't think about every decision in this much detail. It's quite a minor thing. You're never going to know how someone feels. She might have been on her feet for hours and really wanting to sit down. She might have have got on a hundred times before when there hasn't been a seat and now doesn't even really think about it.

Don't waste your time trying to work out the answer.

Erm, no I don't think about every decision in this much detail. Why would this little example make you think I do? I didn't say it was anything other than a minor thing.

In fact you seem to be thinking of the possibilities more than me!

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:35 - Feb 13 with 7650 viewsGuthrum

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:23 - Feb 13 by Ryorry

Actually, speaking as a woman (for those who didn't know), I disagree.

As a young-ish, fit & healthy woman, I wouldn't have wanted that. And obviously anyone who needed it more, regardless of gender. should get it, supposing there were a young disabled or ill man on board, or gent of senior years.

Yes, I'd give up the seat to someone elderly or infirm, too.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:36 - Feb 13 with 7646 viewswellyblue

No. It's easy.

Old Skool.
Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:37 - Feb 13 with 7647 viewsGavTWTD

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:21 - Feb 13 by Lord_Lucan

But they can think what they want, they might even correctly assume that you are giving up your seat for a women as you are a gentleman, age simply doesn't come into it.

If they are a mad feminist and tell you to feck off it doesn't matter, you will know in your mind that you did the right thing. Just say "Sorry Sweetheart" and get on with your day.

I upvoted you earlier but I'd like to think I'd offer my seat to anyone if I thought they needed it more than me, or if it helped others. Not specifically gender related, although the pregnant tend to be women. But if someone was old, handicapped, distressed, carrying something unwieldy, it might just make their day, when it's no hardship on yourself.

Though I'd probably just avoid eye contact or pretend to be asleep.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:45 - Feb 13 with 7615 viewsLord_Lucan

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:37 - Feb 13 by GavTWTD

I upvoted you earlier but I'd like to think I'd offer my seat to anyone if I thought they needed it more than me, or if it helped others. Not specifically gender related, although the pregnant tend to be women. But if someone was old, handicapped, distressed, carrying something unwieldy, it might just make their day, when it's no hardship on yourself.

Yes but that's a given isn't it, it's not just a rule for women.

If I am on a tube and there are seats free I don't even bother sitting down as there is bound to be someone coming on more needy that me.

I don't do buses.

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:45 - Feb 13 with 7607 viewsJ2BLUE

Giving up your seat for old people is a tricky one isn't it? on 14:37 - Feb 13 by GavTWTD

All those Audis and you take the bus?!?

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024