Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smart home hub thingys 12:41 - Mar 3 with 11160 viewsVaughan8

A lot of people seem to have these smart home hub things like Amazon "Alexa" or Google home hub thing.

What exactly do these do that I cant do on my smartphone? Is it just a glorified siri?

To be honest I don't really get It, maybe because I know it won't understand me due to my speech impediment.

Does anyone have one and think it's useful?
Smart home hub thingys on 13:24 - Mar 3 with 7074 viewsconnorscontract

Whilst I can see the huge usefulness for the infirm or people with mobility issues, the idea of having a wifi lightbulb that I switch on and off by voice doesn't make sense for me.I'd have to leave the switch on for it to work, so it would be permanently using electricity for wifi.

Then if I issue the command and it doesn't work is that because a) wifi or network issue b) aome idiot turned it off at the switch or c) the bulb is blown.

Oh, and the bulbs cost 15 quid each.

Ditto the hive thing. Wow! I can control my heating from my phone before I get home! That's what programmable time switch controls and thermostats are for...

I've got an Alexa, but haven't seen a single application to persuade me to "Smart" my house, yet.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2018 13:25]
Smart home hub thingys on 13:28 - Mar 3 with 7063 viewstcblue

There's some conflation going on in this thread. I agree that the Alexa things are mostly limited use (I have one but to be honest don't really use it), but connected apps to services are fantastic, I can boost the heating or hot water for a bath via my phone at the footy. That's the killer app.
Smart home hub thingys on 13:31 - Mar 3 with 7054 viewsGlasgowBlue

When I wake up I can ask Alexa for the news, weather and sport before I even open my eyes.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Smart home hub thingys on 13:44 - Mar 3 with 7023 viewslinhdi

Smart home hub thingys on 13:31 - Mar 3 by GlasgowBlue

When I wake up I can ask Alexa for the news, weather and sport before I even open my eyes.

oh. Is it possible that some people get all their political news and info in the same way - i.e. without their eyes being open? Oh.
Smart home hub thingys on 18:18 - Mar 3 with 6916 viewsBurwell_Blue

£85 for my Alexa, drop in the ocean. Been listening to a lot more music since we got ours.
Smart home hub thingys on 20:53 - Mar 3 with 6863 viewsInvictus

Any song, Album, Artist I can think of is available just by asking, as is any radio station or podcast, audiobooks too. Brilliant when you're in the bath or the cat won't let you get up or you just can't be bothered. Speaker quality is great for the price much better than listening on a phone.

There is a lack of UK spec smart light switches and I have too many bulbs to go that route so I have smart plugs (about £10) attached to my table lamps, bedside lamps etc. "Alexa turn on the bedside light" is much better than trying to find the light switch in the dark. "Alexa turn on the christmas lights" makes it so easy.

Setting alarms, timers etc is so easy: "Alexa wake me at 7am" "Alexa set a timer for four and a half minutes" "Alexa remind me to watch the football in two hours"

"Alexa add beer to my shopping list" ,when you go shopping it'll be there on your phone.

There are thousands of skills which do fun and useful things, most are free, look online.

Just ask questions: "Alexa what is the Ipswich town football score?" "Alexa what is the weather?"

You can talk to your friends and family that have Alexas for free. "Alexa call Rob" will connect to Rob's Alexa or his mobile to chat. "Alexa message Rob" will leave a message on his Alexa and mobile. You can also dictate sms messages.

An Amazon Fire tv stick is a good way to try Alexa, If you have Amazon Prime it's a no brainer. Voice controlled smart tv for £29.99 (it's usually on offer). If your speech impediment gets in the way it's still worth every penny even without Alexa.
Smart home hub thingys on 21:08 - Mar 3 with 6849 viewsvapour_trail

Smart home hub thingys on 18:18 - Mar 3 by Burwell_Blue

£85 for my Alexa, drop in the ocean. Been listening to a lot more music since we got ours.

Interesting. It’s changed your behaviours then, in a positive way?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Smart home hub thingys on 23:09 - Mar 3 with 6803 viewstcblue

Smart home hub thingys on 21:08 - Mar 3 by vapour_trail

Ask Amazon, they've got ALL the dirt now
Login to get fewer ads

Smart home hub thingys on 01:00 - Mar 4 with 6769 viewsSarge

Smart home hub thingys on 20:53 - Mar 3 by Invictus

Any song, Album, Artist I can think of is available just by asking, as is any radio station or podcast, audiobooks too. Brilliant when you're in the bath or the cat won't let you get up or you just can't be bothered. Speaker quality is great for the price much better than listening on a phone.

There is a lack of UK spec smart light switches and I have too many bulbs to go that route so I have smart plugs (about £10) attached to my table lamps, bedside lamps etc. "Alexa turn on the bedside light" is much better than trying to find the light switch in the dark. "Alexa turn on the christmas lights" makes it so easy.

Setting alarms, timers etc is so easy: "Alexa wake me at 7am" "Alexa set a timer for four and a half minutes" "Alexa remind me to watch the football in two hours"

"Alexa add beer to my shopping list" ,when you go shopping it'll be there on your phone.

There are thousands of skills which do fun and useful things, most are free, look online.

Just ask questions: "Alexa what is the Ipswich town football score?" "Alexa what is the weather?"

You can talk to your friends and family that have Alexas for free. "Alexa call Rob" will connect to Rob's Alexa or his mobile to chat. "Alexa message Rob" will leave a message on his Alexa and mobile. You can also dictate sms messages.

An Amazon Fire tv stick is a good way to try Alexa, If you have Amazon Prime it's a no brainer. Voice controlled smart tv for £29.99 (it's usually on offer). If your speech impediment gets in the way it's still worth every penny even without Alexa.

It's all a bit uncomfortably Black Mirror for me.

That may be because I just watched it.
Smart home hub thingys on 07:52 - Mar 4 with 6704 viewsGlasgowBlue

Smart home hub thingys on 13:44 - Mar 3 by linhdi

oh. Is it possible that some people get all their political news and info in the same way - i.e. without their eyes being open? Oh.

I see what you did there. 😃
[Post edited 4 Mar 2018 11:43]

Iron Lion Zion

Smart home hub thingys on 09:41 - Mar 4 with 6645 viewsBurwell_Blue

Smart home hub thingys on 21:08 - Mar 3 by vapour_trail

Oh yes. The only time I listened to tunes was in the car, now the family are allowed an hour each on a Sat morning to introduce each other to new stuff.
Smart home hub thingys on 09:45 - Mar 4 with 6635 viewschiddley

Anything with Smart at the beginning is usually not.

Smart car
Smart hub
Smart phone
Smart arse

You could literally use smart for all new inventions.

Poll: The best joke petition of the last few days

Smart home hub thingys on 09:52 - Mar 4 with 6629 viewswkj

There are two ways of looking at smart hubs -

1. A way to control voice control home elements

2. A way to automate or control your environment in advance so you're always somewhat comfortable-

For example -

You are caught in the cold and absolutely freezing but about 30m from home, you can use your phone to warm up some water, tweak the heating, even put the kettle on all so you can be comfortable the moment you get in.

You can have your lights go on and off at specific times when away if you're worried about leaving your house in the dark.

You can have the unit play virtually any song at any time, catch up on news, and even "read" emails while getting ready for work etc

Although certain components are useful, I have grown fond of the different things mine can do. I use Google Home as her voice is sexier than Alexa.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Smart home hub thingys on 11:41 - Mar 4 with 6589 viewsbluebud

Smart home hub thingys on 09:52 - Mar 4 by wkj

There are two ways of looking at smart hubs -

1. A way to control voice control home elements

2. A way to automate or control your environment in advance so you're always somewhat comfortable-

For example -

You are caught in the cold and absolutely freezing but about 30m from home, you can use your phone to warm up some water, tweak the heating, even put the kettle on all so you can be comfortable the moment you get in.

You can have your lights go on and off at specific times when away if you're worried about leaving your house in the dark.

You can have the unit play virtually any song at any time, catch up on news, and even "read" emails while getting ready for work etc

Although certain components are useful, I have grown fond of the different things mine can do. I use Google Home as her voice is sexier than Alexa.

...you can do every one of your examples without smart hubs (apart from being turned on by a synthesised voice ), in fact the only important one you could have done since the 70's with a switch timer.
Smart home hub thingys on 11:43 - Mar 4 with 6582 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'l buy five. Can you deliver today?

Iron Lion Zion

Smart home hub thingys on 12:16 - Mar 4 with 6559 viewswkj

Smart home hub thingys on 11:41 - Mar 4 by bluebud

...you can do every one of your examples without smart hubs (apart from being turned on by a synthesised voice ), in fact the only important one you could have done since the 70's with a switch timer.

You could also drive a car in the 70s too, didn't stop designers from innovating though - Plus... Sexy voice

Crybaby

Smart home hub thingys on 16:01 - Mar 4 with 6497 viewsLord_Lucan

Replied as a reminder to look at this later.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Smart home hub thingys on 16:07 - Mar 4 with 6489 viewsGlasgowBlue

Smart home hub thingys on 16:01 - Mar 4 by Lord_Lucan

Replied as a reminder to look at this later.

You could have asked Alexa to remind you later.

Iron Lion Zion

Smart home hub thingys on 19:05 - Mar 4 with 6419 viewsVaughan8

OK, so its looks as if most things I can do on my smart phone as I thought. To get "Alexa " to play a certain music for an alarm may only take 5 seconds, but I can do that in probably 20 seconds, so not really a massive saver.

I think I'll leave it for now. I can switch lights off on my own as well
Smart home hub thingys on 19:07 - Mar 4 with 6411 viewsVaughan8

I might give the Amazon FIre TV Stick thing some thought, before I venture into Alexa
Smart home hub thingys on 19:30 - Mar 4 with 6389 viewsbluebud

Smart home hub thingys on 12:16 - Mar 4 by wkj

You could also drive a car in the 70s too, didn't stop designers from innovating though - Plus... Sexy voice

..you're quite right...achieving the same result more expensively, good example.
Smart home hub thingys on 19:57 - Mar 4 with 6365 viewsSwansea_Blue

Smart home hub thingys on 13:24 - Mar 3 by connorscontract

Whilst I can see the huge usefulness for the infirm or people with mobility issues, the idea of having a wifi lightbulb that I switch on and off by voice doesn't make sense for me.I'd have to leave the switch on for it to work, so it would be permanently using electricity for wifi.

Then if I issue the command and it doesn't work is that because a) wifi or network issue b) aome idiot turned it off at the switch or c) the bulb is blown.

Ditto the hive thing. Wow! I can control my heating from my phone before I get home! That's what programmable time switch controls and thermostats are for...

I've got an Alexa, but haven't seen a single application to persuade me to "Smart" my house, yet.

I’ve got one reason to smart my house, and it’s called ‘the better half’. I was late in one night last week and she and the kids were sat shivering in onesies and blankets and the house was stone cold. So obviously I asked what was up and she said the hearing must be broken, as she’d turned the thermostat “up” (down) to 10° to warm the house up, but for some reason it wasn’t working .

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Smart home hub thingys on 22:12 - Mar 4 with 6321 viewswkj

Smart home hub thingys on 19:30 - Mar 4 by bluebud

..you're quite right...achieving the same result more expensively, good example.

See now you get it

Crybaby

Smart home hub thingys on 23:52 - Mar 4 with 6258 viewsStNeotsBlue

Alexa can f@ck off. Nosey bitch.
Smart home hub thingys on 08:17 - Mar 5 with 6178 viewsitfcjoe

Smart home hub thingys on 13:24 - Mar 3 by connorscontract

I can't see the point in them but think the heating things can be good if you have an irregular lifestyle - shift work and patterns etc.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024