Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Current form 10:25 - Mar 13 with 4322 viewsHeathlander

1-1 away at deadly rivals
0-1 against team going up automatically and played quite well
1-0 away against a team pushing for the play-offs who had only lost once in 17 games
2-1 away at Sheff Wed who were in play offs last year
0-0 against a team pushing for play-offs

Looks quite good on paper :)
Current form on 10:27 - Mar 13 with 4298 viewschicoazul

We'll have none of your positivity around here thank you.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Current form on 10:27 - Mar 13 with 4303 viewshomer_123

Which is, I suspect, where Mick is coming from.

It is not, however, promotion/ play-off form.

You can argue we are punching above our weight and that's correct - the football, however, isn't easy on the eye. I still feel we need a change of owner as much as manager.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Current form on 10:29 - Mar 13 with 4300 viewschristiand

It's how you spin it though Heathlander surely?

Norwich City poor at home
Fair enough about Cardiff
Fair enough about PNE
Sheffield Wednesday who have had a season of struggle (doesn't matter about last season's efforts)
Sheffield United who are currently on a poor run of form

Just saying depends how you look at it, but on paper it does look half decent.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Current form on 10:31 - Mar 13 with 4288 viewsHeathlander

Current form on 10:27 - Mar 13 by homer_123

Which is, I suspect, where Mick is coming from.

It is not, however, promotion/ play-off form.

You can argue we are punching above our weight and that's correct - the football, however, isn't easy on the eye. I still feel we need a change of owner as much as manager.

I agree with you. It is not bad if you don't actually have to watch it :) the reality and the optics are a million miles apart.
Current form on 10:42 - Mar 13 with 4260 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

2 losses in the last 10, against Wolves and Cardiff.

In fact if you go back a little further the (4) losses in the 10 prior to that were Fulham, Wolves (again), Boro and Villa
Current form on 11:04 - Mar 13 with 4231 viewsFinidiCentenary

Well it does if you are going to ignore things like Sheffield Wednesday being pony and go on last seasons Wednesday.

Looks worse when you consider we lost to Cardiff, who were rubbish last year and drew 0-0 with a League One side from last year, not to mention that Preston were crap last year as well.

5 points from 15 is what we got and two matches were against teams below us and two matches against teams around us.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Current form on 11:13 - Mar 13 with 4206 viewslongtimefan

Current form on 11:04 - Mar 13 by FinidiCentenary

Well it does if you are going to ignore things like Sheffield Wednesday being pony and go on last seasons Wednesday.

Looks worse when you consider we lost to Cardiff, who were rubbish last year and drew 0-0 with a League One side from last year, not to mention that Preston were crap last year as well.

5 points from 15 is what we got and two matches were against teams below us and two matches against teams around us.

Where does 5 from 15 come from? I make it 8 from 15 again 3 teams above and 2 below?
Current form on 11:15 - Mar 13 with 4197 viewsFinidiCentenary

Current form on 11:13 - Mar 13 by longtimefan

Where does 5 from 15 come from? I make it 8 from 15 again 3 teams above and 2 below?

I deducted 3 points for style of play.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Login to get fewer ads

Current form on 11:42 - Mar 13 with 4139 viewsOsborneOneNil

Current form on 10:42 - Mar 13 by King_of_Portman_Rd

2 losses in the last 10, against Wolves and Cardiff.

In fact if you go back a little further the (4) losses in the 10 prior to that were Fulham, Wolves (again), Boro and Villa

So we only lose to the good teams.
Current form on 12:11 - Mar 13 with 4102 viewsGuthrum

The damaging thing to our League position has been (once again) too many draws, four out of the last ten. On the other hand, at least we're no longer losing when we don't win, as earlier in the season.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Current form on 12:25 - Mar 13 with 4077 viewsFinidiCentenary

Current form on 12:11 - Mar 13 by Guthrum

The damaging thing to our League position has been (once again) too many draws, four out of the last ten. On the other hand, at least we're no longer losing when we don't win, as earlier in the season.

If only Mick had learned from us winning 8, losing 7 and not drawing a single one of our first 15 games and us being right up there in the promotion / play off places on the back of it.

Current form on 12:29 - Mar 13 with 4058 viewsPJH

Current form on 12:25 - Mar 13 by FinidiCentenary

If only Mick had learned from us winning 8, losing 7 and not drawing a single one of our first 15 games and us being right up there in the promotion / play off places on the back of it.

Although you announced to us in one of your many threads that the first four wins were all lucky-apparently.
I suppose that they were lucky in as much as we scored more goals than the opposition did each time.
Current form on 12:29 - Mar 13 with 4058 viewswkj

Given how last season ended, and the Lincoln debacle, it was always going to be hard for Mick to win over the fans. Despite a really fresh new look and feel at the start, injuries dictated a return to football we didnt like, fans got on micks back again, mick made remarks about the fans, it all spiralled. I feel that the only way MM would ever have won most people back around is by finishing top 2 by any means necessary or winning the playoffs playing like Brazil.

On paper it looks good, but then look at attendances and revenue which tells a totally different story on paper.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Current form on 12:32 - Mar 13 with 4044 viewsFinidiCentenary

Current form on 12:29 - Mar 13 by PJH

Although you announced to us in one of your many threads that the first four wins were all lucky-apparently.
I suppose that they were lucky in as much as we scored more goals than the opposition did each time.

Statistically, they were lucky wins.

But I never denied we got them. Purely that our performances didn't deserve 4 wins from 4.

Mick should however, know by now a win and a draw is better than two games unbeaten via two draws.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2018 12:33]

Current form on 13:08 - Mar 13 with 4009 viewsGuthrum

Current form on 12:25 - Mar 13 by FinidiCentenary

Win four, draw four, lose two (16 points from 30, 53.3%) gives exactly the same return as win eight, draw none, lose seven (24 points from 45, 53.3%).

It's been enough to keep us in contention, but the dicky period between the middle of November and the start of January (W3 D3 L3, 12 from 27, 44.4%) lost us too much ground.

We needed to accelerate further to catch up, but haven't.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2018 13:10]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Current form on 13:22 - Mar 13 with 3975 viewsbritbiker

Current form on 10:31 - Mar 13 by Heathlander

I agree with you. It is not bad if you don't actually have to watch it :) the reality and the optics are a million miles apart.

That's the million dollar question. If your living depended on results then our form would be good for the uninjured element of the squad, however for fans it's also about entertainment.
Would you accept more loses with more entertaining football. I'd like to think yes but I'm sure the boo boys would still complain. More wins with entertaining football would be ideal but thats highly unlikely on the budget available.
Current form on 13:44 - Mar 13 with 3936 viewslongtimefan

Current form on 12:32 - Mar 13 by FinidiCentenary

Statistically, they were lucky wins.

But I never denied we got them. Purely that our performances didn't deserve 4 wins from 4.

Mick should however, know by now a win and a draw is better than two games unbeaten via two draws.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2018 12:33]

“Statistically, they were lucky wins”. ?????

How many statistically unlucky defeats did we suffer?
Current form on 14:04 - Mar 13 with 3907 viewsPJH

Current form on 13:44 - Mar 13 by longtimefan

“Statistically, they were lucky wins”. ?????

How many statistically unlucky defeats did we suffer?

It does appear that goals scored as opposed to goals conceded in any one game is now a very minor and unimportant stat.
What matters is % possession,shots on target,corners won etc etc

I liked it more then what mattered was whether you won,drew or lost a game-TWTD.
Current form on 15:15 - Mar 13 with 3845 viewsFinidiCentenary

Current form on 14:04 - Mar 13 by PJH

It does appear that goals scored as opposed to goals conceded in any one game is now a very minor and unimportant stat.
What matters is % possession,shots on target,corners won etc etc

I liked it more then what mattered was whether you won,drew or lost a game-TWTD.

The point is that you can win a game, or two on the bounce or three on the bounce by having 2 shots on target to the opponents 10 but eventually it will catch up with you.

Possession is not particularly important. Leicester proved that better than anyone. But the teams that have the most shots on target win 80% of matches.

The issue with us this season is that in almost all of our matches we have less shots than the opposition. You cannot do that throughout a season and expect to be anywhere near to challenging. With an average goalkeeper we'd be in deep trouble too.

So yes. The games at Barnsley, Millwall and Brentford where they had five times the shots we did, were lucky in respect that we were freakishly clinical. It's like getting two holes in one in the same year. It's possible. But if you can't putt, you can't base winning a tournament on hitting regular holes in one!

Current form on 16:24 - Mar 13 with 3805 viewsPJH

Current form on 15:15 - Mar 13 by FinidiCentenary

The point is that you can win a game, or two on the bounce or three on the bounce by having 2 shots on target to the opponents 10 but eventually it will catch up with you.

Possession is not particularly important. Leicester proved that better than anyone. But the teams that have the most shots on target win 80% of matches.

The issue with us this season is that in almost all of our matches we have less shots than the opposition. You cannot do that throughout a season and expect to be anywhere near to challenging. With an average goalkeeper we'd be in deep trouble too.

So yes. The games at Barnsley, Millwall and Brentford where they had five times the shots we did, were lucky in respect that we were freakishly clinical. It's like getting two holes in one in the same year. It's possible. But if you can't putt, you can't base winning a tournament on hitting regular holes in one!

You can see into the future too!-We have not been to Brentford yet.
Current form on 16:28 - Mar 13 with 3800 viewsFinidiCentenary

Current form on 16:24 - Mar 13 by PJH

You can see into the future too!-We have not been to Brentford yet.

Well done Mr Pedantic ;)

As I was talking about consecutive games I was clearly stating the games against, not the games at those teams.

Typo which was obvious I'm sure.

Current form on 17:08 - Mar 13 with 3777 viewsFrimleyBlue

Always said this season hasnt been that bad

But for some reason I just feel a sense of Meh about town at the moment.

I think the fact youre waiting for a 1 0 or a 2 1 makes potentially watching it painful

For me you can never go and watch a Mick team and think we're gonna score 3 4 or more here

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024