Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That's your lot... 19:11 - Apr 2 with 3229 viewsblaggers

Mick will go in the next day or two. I can't help but feel a bit of sadness, for the obvious fact that we'd have been far more competitive if Evans had given MM some decent backing, also sadness that despite his pig-headedness, he will no doubt be successful at his next club, and he'll probably have more to spend than he has here.

For the majority of Ipswich fans, we start the season looking for a place in the top 6, but I suspect many within the club have been looking down rather than up. Level of investment, quality of players we bring in, the free signings, the loans, gives the impression of treading water to a certain extent, and MM has done what he can with his hands tied. A section of the fans and the media then give him the bird, and expect him to turn Kevin Bru into Zidane.

That's my defence for him. On the other hand he comes across as a man at times with little humility. He bigs up his record, which in all honestly is ok but not stellar, he plays to a tried and tested formula which win, lose or draw, is rarely easy on the eye, and in recent times has been more about self preservation than advancing the fortunes of the club.

I'm trying to think of my best and worst MM moments, but am stuck with the following negatives:

Not winning a single FA Cup game
Losing to non-league Lincoln
Going to Man Utd and playing the reserves
Selling Murphy without getting a decent replacement

What are the highlights?

Poll: What happens next?

That's your lot... on 19:16 - Apr 2 with 3167 viewsHerbivore

What are the highlights? Keeping us up when we looked doomed. The entire play off season. About a third of the season after. Newcastle at home last season, Sunderland at home this season. I'm sure there's more.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

That's your lot... on 19:18 - Apr 2 with 3148 viewsKuqicoo

There's a couple that stick in my mind..

Those late goals at Charlton and Watford.

Just after he took over the home win against Forest. It was my mum's funeral a few days later, so that evening really took my mind off things.

The playoff semi final legs.

I don't personally dislike the guy and didn't from the start. The last 2 seasons though have been a real chore to watch generally. It's sad really.
That's your lot... on 19:20 - Apr 2 with 3119 viewsSwansea_Blue

That's your lot... on 19:16 - Apr 2 by Herbivore

What are the highlights? Keeping us up when we looked doomed. The entire play off season. About a third of the season after. Newcastle at home last season, Sunderland at home this season. I'm sure there's more.

Not the entire play off season. We weren't much fun to watch after chrimbo imo. But I only saw a hand full of games in that period, so maybe I was unlucky (probably not).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

That's your lot... on 19:23 - Apr 2 with 3065 viewsTendring_Blue

That's your lot... on 19:20 - Apr 2 by Swansea_Blue

Not the entire play off season. We weren't much fun to watch after chrimbo imo. But I only saw a hand full of games in that period, so maybe I was unlucky (probably not).

Remember the Wigan game at home that year. Ouch that was bad.
That's your lot... on 19:25 - Apr 2 with 3039 viewsHerbivore

There was plenty of good after Xmas. Being in a promotion chase is also surely a positive in itself? Certainly it's a bigger positive than any of the negatives mentioned in the OP.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

That's your lot... on 19:31 - Apr 2 with 2979 viewsSwn98

That's your lot... on 19:18 - Apr 2 by Kuqicoo

There's a couple that stick in my mind..

Those late goals at Charlton and Watford.

Just after he took over the home win against Forest. It was my mum's funeral a few days later, so that evening really took my mind off things.

The playoff semi final legs.

I don't personally dislike the guy and didn't from the start. The last 2 seasons though have been a real chore to watch generally. It's sad really.

I think that could be a good point you make "didnt dislike him from the start" that could be the problem for any manager if ME makes the wrong decision in the eyes of mainly the northstand Boo boys the new appointment could be doomed from day one.
That's your lot... on 19:34 - Apr 2 with 2941 viewspowinswitch

That's your lot... on 19:25 - Apr 2 by Herbivore

There was plenty of good after Xmas. Being in a promotion chase is also surely a positive in itself? Certainly it's a bigger positive than any of the negatives mentioned in the OP.

Games I really enjoyed were Derby at home when Johnny Williams became a temporary home favourite, and Leeds at home when we stuffed them 4-1. Also Boro at home when we pressed them and played them off the park, winning 2-0. Mick started magnificently, and didn’t need to play pretty when he was at first saving us then taking us to the play offs and then just falling short.
That's your lot... on 19:34 - Apr 2 with 2941 viewsMullet

January we slumped back to August form.

February was a very good away win at Fulham but Murphy broke his nose and that affected us following it.

March you had Chaplow but also the mauling at Boro (on my birthday of all days) and a few dodgy results continuing the win/lose trend.

April you had a 3-2 at Blackpool where Bishop dribbled round half their team for one of my favourite goals. Murphy just smashed it like a stud bull in a small paddock.

That final game at Ewood and the drama of the two scum games were worth as much as that first season alone.

I'm not sure why people only care so much about cup runs since that went away. We simply aren't funded to compete in the league let alone on multiple fronts. And when we do play in the cup MM has been liberal with the kids and the like.

I guess it's just the notion of more, more, more when we got back to some semblance of where ought to be, not where Evans was lucky to have us under Mick.

Before that we were just pathetic in every area, but anyone who can't look at those first three years and not pick out 5 games that were just so reaffirming of what it is to be a Town fan probably should give up. It must mean they're dead inside.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

That's your lot... on 19:40 - Apr 2 with 2877 viewsslump

That's your lot... on 19:34 - Apr 2 by Mullet

January we slumped back to August form.

February was a very good away win at Fulham but Murphy broke his nose and that affected us following it.

March you had Chaplow but also the mauling at Boro (on my birthday of all days) and a few dodgy results continuing the win/lose trend.

April you had a 3-2 at Blackpool where Bishop dribbled round half their team for one of my favourite goals. Murphy just smashed it like a stud bull in a small paddock.

That final game at Ewood and the drama of the two scum games were worth as much as that first season alone.

I'm not sure why people only care so much about cup runs since that went away. We simply aren't funded to compete in the league let alone on multiple fronts. And when we do play in the cup MM has been liberal with the kids and the like.

I guess it's just the notion of more, more, more when we got back to some semblance of where ought to be, not where Evans was lucky to have us under Mick.

Before that we were just pathetic in every area, but anyone who can't look at those first three years and not pick out 5 games that were just so reaffirming of what it is to be a Town fan probably should give up. It must mean they're dead inside.

"I'm not sure why people only care so much about cup runs since that went away."

In a nutshell why football is dying

UTT

That's your lot... on 19:43 - Apr 2 with 2850 viewsMullet

That's your lot... on 19:40 - Apr 2 by slump

"I'm not sure why people only care so much about cup runs since that went away."

In a nutshell why football is dying

There's a lot more to it than that, but ultimately if you had to chose between Championship survival or a day out at Swansea or Everton for a season of Wallsall, Shrewsbury and Rochdale et al. it seems a no brainer to me.

For me Evans has to carry the can, because there simply isn't a squad that's been capable of it since he's been here. I'd take a playoff final over a league cup 1/4 final every time.

That's your lot... on 19:47 - Apr 2 with 2811 viewsIllinoisblue

That's your lot... on 19:43 - Apr 2 by Mullet

There's a lot more to it than that, but ultimately if you had to chose between Championship survival or a day out at Swansea or Everton for a season of Wallsall, Shrewsbury and Rochdale et al. it seems a no brainer to me.

For me Evans has to carry the can, because there simply isn't a squad that's been capable of it since he's been here. I'd take a playoff final over a league cup 1/4 final every time.

let's have it right; we're talking about trying to win one, or maybe two, cup games, not win a trophy. To say a Division 2 club can't possibly do well in the league and have a bit of a run in the cup is nonsense.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

That's your lot... on 19:50 - Apr 2 with 2765 viewsMullet

That's your lot... on 19:47 - Apr 2 by Illinoisblue

let's have it right; we're talking about trying to win one, or maybe two, cup games, not win a trophy. To say a Division 2 club can't possibly do well in the league and have a bit of a run in the cup is nonsense.

I'm not saying can't, I'm saying it's a minor distraction if we're serious about going up or even challenging to go up. Yet it's made out to be some sort of cardinal sin.

Mick gets slated for playing a changed side in cup games, but the one season we make the playoff arguably our biggest flaw was burn out. Also where do people expect the kids to feature, and what happens when they lose to Stevenage or whoever we get every year?

Burnley are the exception which prove the rule, what was their run something like the first team in two decades or more?

That's your lot... on 19:53 - Apr 2 with 2739 viewsslump

That's your lot... on 19:43 - Apr 2 by Mullet

You are no doubt right and I'm nostalgic. There was not much that could beat the feeling of being on the terrace on a weekday cup night. That's what got me hooked on football. It was bloody brilliant!

UTT

That's your lot... on 19:55 - Apr 2 with 2705 viewsMullet

That's your lot... on 19:53 - Apr 2 by slump

You are no doubt right and I'm nostalgic. There was not much that could beat the feeling of being on the terrace on a weekday cup night. That's what got me hooked on football. It was bloody brilliant!

If it was up to me we'd still have the Anglo Italian cup and we'd be treated to Harry trying to learn Italian and his mate Vince translating Perugia's injury woes for the benefit of us all.

Alas times have changed. Even in the Checkatrade and nonsense like that Chelsea can just bosh in £10m players willy nilly into their U23's and leave the minnows scrapping for nothing in that.

That's your lot... on 19:56 - Apr 2 with 2699 viewschicoazul

I'd love to know whose decision it was to let Murphy go. We saw before the club refused bids for Mings and McG as they werent right. Mick has mentioned selling and not replacing him a few times now as the point that began the end.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

That's your lot... on 20:04 - Apr 2 with 2636 viewsIllinoisblue

That's your lot... on 19:50 - Apr 2 by Mullet

I'm not saying can't, I'm saying it's a minor distraction if we're serious about going up or even challenging to go up. Yet it's made out to be some sort of cardinal sin.

Mick gets slated for playing a changed side in cup games, but the one season we make the playoff arguably our biggest flaw was burn out. Also where do people expect the kids to feature, and what happens when they lose to Stevenage or whoever we get every year?

Burnley are the exception which prove the rule, what was their run something like the first team in two decades or more?

I get it. But does if have to be a distraction? Different times, for sure, but look at us in 91-92... that performance at Liverpool, I am convinced that gave us the belief to go on and get promoted.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024