Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Craft Beer 10:35 - Apr 18 with 4709 viewshype313

Got given a selection of beers a few weeks back and thought I'd share one that went down really well, it was called Hickey the Rake by the Wylam brewery up in Geordieland. Very very nice, looks like they have quite a wide selection on offer, some look quite obscure but if the first one was anything to go by, well worth trying the rest.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Craft Beer on 11:00 - Apr 18 with 4659 viewsFenoit

Wylam are massive now. Consistently putting out some great new beers. They don't tend to brew the same beer twice these days (like most craft brewers, the recipes are constantly evolving).

You should check out Hopsters in Ipswich - they have an amazing selection and a newly fitted growler (take home draft beer) machine.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 11:00]
Craft Beer on 11:05 - Apr 18 with 4652 viewshype313

Craft Beer on 11:00 - Apr 18 by Fenoit

Wylam are massive now. Consistently putting out some great new beers. They don't tend to brew the same beer twice these days (like most craft brewers, the recipes are constantly evolving).

You should check out Hopsters in Ipswich - they have an amazing selection and a newly fitted growler (take home draft beer) machine.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 11:00]

Cheers will give them a look, have you seen Wylam sell their beers in stores or is it just online only via them?

Edit, will give Hopsters a look later! didn't know it was there, is it new?
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 11:05]

Craft Beer on 11:26 - Apr 18 with 4627 viewsFenoit

Craft Beer on 11:05 - Apr 18 by hype313

Cheers will give them a look, have you seen Wylam sell their beers in stores or is it just online only via them?

Edit, will give Hopsters a look later! didn't know it was there, is it new?
[Post edited 18 Apr 2018 11:05]

Yeah I think it is fairly new. I didn't know about it until a couple of months ago when I Google'd "Craft Beer Ipswich" - I wanted somewhere different to go pre-match.

I usually just head to Arcade Tavern, who have a Thornbridge tap takeover this weekend (So I'll definitely be visiting them!
Craft Beer on 11:34 - Apr 18 with 4607 viewshype313

Craft Beer on 11:26 - Apr 18 by Fenoit

Yeah I think it is fairly new. I didn't know about it until a couple of months ago when I Google'd "Craft Beer Ipswich" - I wanted somewhere different to go pre-match.

I usually just head to Arcade Tavern, who have a Thornbridge tap takeover this weekend (So I'll definitely be visiting them!

Just dropped them a message..

Sure do. We've got Midnight Train to Byker, Us and Them, Futureshock and Hickey the Rake at the moment. Plus on Thursday we're getting Last shot at Heaven on draught for our Growler. Cheers. Ed @ Hopsters

Craft Beer on 13:17 - Apr 18 with 4553 viewsDBaldy

Craft Beer on 11:34 - Apr 18 by hype313

Just dropped them a message..

Sure do. We've got Midnight Train to Byker, Us and Them, Futureshock and Hickey the Rake at the moment. Plus on Thursday we're getting Last shot at Heaven on draught for our Growler. Cheers. Ed @ Hopsters

Hopsters is fantastic, been going there since November and have spent well over £300 in that time!

I've tried a few Wylam beers over the last year or so and one called 45:33 would be my favourite.

You can't go wrong in Hopsters though, great selection and if you're not sure what to try Ed or Stevo could point you in the right direction. FWIW my personal favourite breweries are Cloudwater, Verdant, Northern Monk and Magic Rock...
Craft Beer on 13:20 - Apr 18 with 4545 viewshype313

Craft Beer on 13:17 - Apr 18 by DBaldy

Hopsters is fantastic, been going there since November and have spent well over £300 in that time!

I've tried a few Wylam beers over the last year or so and one called 45:33 would be my favourite.

You can't go wrong in Hopsters though, great selection and if you're not sure what to try Ed or Stevo could point you in the right direction. FWIW my personal favourite breweries are Cloudwater, Verdant, Northern Monk and Magic Rock...

Brilliant stuff, cheers, I'm popping in there later so will give them a look.

Craft Beer on 13:34 - Apr 18 with 4529 viewsSteve_M

Craft Beer on 13:20 - Apr 18 by hype313

Brilliant stuff, cheers, I'm popping in there later so will give them a look.

It sounds a cracking place. I have a similar shop just round the corner from me in Kentish Town which has loads of random beers.

Another recommendation is this from Burnt Mill, ridiculously drinkable and a Suffolk Brewery too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Craft Beer on 14:06 - Apr 18 with 4503 viewshype313

Craft Beer on 13:34 - Apr 18 by Steve_M

It sounds a cracking place. I have a similar shop just round the corner from me in Kentish Town which has loads of random beers.

Another recommendation is this from Burnt Mill, ridiculously drinkable and a Suffolk Brewery too.

Wow, they're only down the road in Pin Mill, cheers, will give them a look.

Just popped into that shop in town, really good, the guys are really enthusiastic and knowledgeable, next time your back Steve, might be worth a visit after a game as they open till 7.

Login to get fewer ads

Craft Beer on 14:22 - Apr 18 with 4484 viewsSteve_M

Craft Beer on 14:06 - Apr 18 by hype313

Just popped into that shop in town, really good, the guys are really enthusiastic and knowledgeable, next time your back Steve, might be worth a visit after a game as they open till 7.

How many do you reckon would survive the train journey back to London though??

I'm sure if I was local then I would use it a lot. Might pop in as I'm in Ipswich Saturday night.

This is my local beer shop:

http://www.capsandtaps.co.uk/

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Craft Beer on 14:27 - Apr 18 with 4478 viewshype313

Craft Beer on 14:22 - Apr 18 by Steve_M

How many do you reckon would survive the train journey back to London though??

I'm sure if I was local then I would use it a lot. Might pop in as I'm in Ipswich Saturday night.

This is my local beer shop:

http://www.capsandtaps.co.uk/

Hmm good point, with rail replacement then you will struggle, if it's direct, then you might just get the barriers at Liv St...

Wow, that's some selection, my poor wallet...

Craft Beer on 14:30 - Apr 18 with 4474 viewsHerbivore

Craft Beer on 13:34 - Apr 18 by Steve_M

Burnt Mill do some great brews.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Craft Beer on 15:08 - Apr 18 with 4448 viewsNewcyBlue

I will be in the vicinity of Wylam Brewery later on. Pretty sure they have a shop there if you want me to bring some down for you.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Craft Beer on 15:34 - Apr 18 with 4436 viewshype313

Craft Beer on 15:08 - Apr 18 by NewcyBlue

I will be in the vicinity of Wylam Brewery later on. Pretty sure they have a shop there if you want me to bring some down for you.

That's very kind of you Newcy! But I went into town earlier and got the ones I needed from this new shop on St Nicholas street.

1 Million Free Pints of Beer on 16:05 - Apr 18 with 4417 viewsDeano69

Sadly only one each.....

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/one-million-beers-on-us

I do have Free Beer Form to uphold

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Craft Beer on 19:08 - Apr 18 with 4358 viewsmr_bean

I picked up a few cans of craft beer from Aldi a few weeks back, and thought I'd share that they were truly foul. It was the first beer that I've ever tipped down the sink....it was that bad. Redwell West Coast Pale Ale and Redwell Steam Lager.

I know that it's brewed in Norwich, but even so....
1 Million Free Pints of Beer on 19:24 - Apr 18 with 4321 viewsHerbivore

1 Million Free Pints of Beer on 16:05 - Apr 18 by Deano69

Sadly only one each.....

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/one-million-beers-on-us

I do have Free Beer Form to uphold

Not a huge Brewdog fan to be honest.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

1 Million Free Pints of Beer on 20:51 - Apr 18 with 4264 viewsDeano69

1 Million Free Pints of Beer on 19:24 - Apr 18 by Herbivore

Can’t see anything like 1million taking this up, be surprised if 5000 do. Some marketing Johnny somewhere is probably very pleased with himself.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

1 Million Free Pints of Beer on 20:53 - Apr 18 with 4263 viewsbluerthanthou

1 Million Free Pints of Beer on 19:24 - Apr 18 by Herbivore

Brewdog do some decent beers but their whole *punk* thing is tiresome. I mean, we all know disco was better than punk don't we lads.
Craft Beer on 21:30 - Apr 18 with 4238 viewsDBaldy

Craft Beer on 19:08 - Apr 18 by mr_bean

I picked up a few cans of craft beer from Aldi a few weeks back, and thought I'd share that they were truly foul. It was the first beer that I've ever tipped down the sink....it was that bad. Redwell West Coast Pale Ale and Redwell Steam Lager.

While I'm a big craft beer fan, it's not for everyone and I've certainly poured some bad ones down the sink in the past.

I've had the Redwell West Coast Pale recently and thought it was pretty good, so maybe you got an old can? These hoppy beers need to be drunk within 3 months ideally, but no more than 6 months max from date of canning, so if you get an old can or one that hasn't been stored properly it can go off pretty easily.
Craft Beer on 21:31 - Apr 18 with 4231 viewsDBaldy

Craft Beer on 14:06 - Apr 18 by hype313

So what did you pick up in Hopsters? I'm currently supping on a Verdant / Magic Rock collaboration but am due for another visit to Hopsters next week as my beer fridge is nearly empty....
Craft Beer on 22:40 - Apr 18 with 4199 viewsevansblue

Craft Beer on 21:31 - Apr 18 by DBaldy

So what did you pick up in Hopsters? I'm currently supping on a Verdant / Magic Rock collaboration but am due for another visit to Hopsters next week as my beer fridge is nearly empty....

The blokes in Hopsters are so enthusiastic and helpful. It’s a great Shop and deserves to do well.

I got a few Bristol beers that were great but the names escape me. The one I do actually remember the name Of though was Billericay Blonde - lovely drop by the billericay brewing company.
Craft Beer on 06:22 - Apr 19 with 4119 viewselalaer9

Craft Beer on 19:08 - Apr 18 by mr_bean

Redwell really aren't very craft. They knock out large quantities at a cheap price. Pretty much the opposite of what craft beer is all about.

In general there's some really interesting breweries popping up in East Anglia. Little Earth Project are doing barrel ageing, with some funky farmhouse and sour beers, whilst Green Mill are banging out some really top rate stuff too. Also keep an eye out for Duration brewery.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024