Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trying to be Objective on Burley 09:43 - May 6 with 2630 viewsMonkey_Blue

It’s hard for me as I used to go home and away in those championship days and through the Prem even for a couple of seasons after relegation. I remember that win lose or draw I couldn’t wait for the next game. We played great football and there was a sense of the club and fans being completely on the same page.

He got Derby and Southampton into the play-offs and what he would have achieved at Hearts is speculation but they would have won the league in my opinion that year.
There is a downside of course. He’s been out of the game for four years and coaching and tactics as well as the level to which no money is a handicap has grown.. you have players being bought for £10m+ in the championship now. It’s a plus that his son-in-law is on the coaching staff but whilst we want a return to some aspects of the past, he needs to have his finger on the pulse regarding all the modern innovations to training and analysing players.
Also as much as I love Terry Butcher his record is patchy, maybe the perfect cheerleader but is he going to offer the tactical insight and advice?

I’m not convinced this would be the right appointment but it’s a hell of a lot less wrong than many names in the frame. He’d get my support purely based on his past achievements for us. He’s earned that for providing me with so many amazing memories.

Was going today but can’t now, but I suspect there will be a few rounds of Georgie Burleys Blue and White army.
[Post edited 6 May 2018 17:55]
Trying to be Objective on Burley on 14:32 - May 6 with 2447 viewsLightningboy

So many saying George has been out of the game for a few years but there are so many managers that haven’t and haven’t proven to be successful (we’ve had 3 here recently).

Not quite sure why so many are wetting themselves over Paul Hurst..can’t say I knew much about him or his teams up until a few weeks ago and can’t say i’ve ever seen his teams play football - Shrewsbury’s last few results haven’t filled me with much confidence in him...likewise Gary White.

One thing Burley has in his favour is he’s watched plenty of Ipswich over the last few years,so nobody knows more than him (and Butcher) how poor we’ve been and what’s needed to put it right.

Not getting my hopes up on this happening but hopefully he’ll get an interview with Marcus at the very least.
Trying to be Objective on Burley on 15:35 - May 6 with 2346 viewsVic

I’m not sure about h8m coming back and No 1, but could there be a role for him as some sort of ambassador, or director of football (whatever that is!). Seems such a shame that he’s in the area and passionate about the club if we cannot tap into that in some way.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Trying to be Objective on Burley on 15:45 - May 6 with 2326 viewsHarryfromBath

It's a hard one as emotions can cloud one's judgement. Most Town supporters I have spoken to have paused when I have mentioned his name. There are arguments both ways about his returning.

I am looking at him as a good back-up option if another stronger candidate doesn't come through, even if only because he will galvanise both the club and us as a fan base. It's difficult to objectively benchmark him against alternatives like Paul Hurst or Nigel Clough.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Trying to be Objective on Burley on 17:45 - May 6 with 2230 viewstractordownsouth

Trying to be Objective on Burley on 15:45 - May 6 by HarryfromBath

It's a hard one as emotions can cloud one's judgement. Most Town supporters I have spoken to have paused when I have mentioned his name. There are arguments both ways about his returning.

I am looking at him as a good back-up option if another stronger candidate doesn't come through, even if only because he will galvanise both the club and us as a fan base. It's difficult to objectively benchmark him against alternatives like Paul Hurst or Nigel Clough.

Who's your choice HArry?

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Trying to be Objective on Burley on 18:00 - May 6 with 2191 viewsMonkey_Blue

Trying to be Objective on Burley on 15:45 - May 6 by HarryfromBath

There are an awful lot of people pushing managers they know little about and to be honest my leaning towards Steijn is more that it felt and sounded right. Never wanted GB to be sacked in the first place and would have been delighted to have him back after Jim, the dark lord and Jewell... my hesitation is that maybe his time has passed but I won’t object to his return and it would not leave my levels of optimism depleted as some appointments would Or leave me fearing apocalypse as some would.
Trying to be Objective on Burley on 18:04 - May 6 with 2188 viewsHarryfromBath

Trying to be Objective on Burley on 17:45 - May 6 by tractordownsouth

Who's your choice HArry?

I thought Mark Warburton might be an option until I heard what Forest supporters were saying about his teams' defending. Hurst and Clough are both safe pairs of hands and patient team builders, but although their football might be an upgrade on Mick's, it may not be vastly different.

In this context the appointment of Burley is not without some appeal, but other names may yet materialize in the next few weeks. Right now I don't know.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

Trying to be Objective on Burley on 18:08 - May 6 with 2177 viewstractordownsouth

Trying to be Objective on Burley on 18:04 - May 6 by HarryfromBath

I thought Mark Warburton might be an option until I heard what Forest supporters were saying about his teams' defending. Hurst and Clough are both safe pairs of hands and patient team builders, but although their football might be an upgrade on Mick's, it may not be vastly different.

In this context the appointment of Burley is not without some appeal, but other names may yet materialize in the next few weeks. Right now I don't know.

I'm warming to the Scott Parker idea, with a senior figure as some sort of sporting director, perhaps that could be Burley? If not, I reckon it should be Hurst because Paul Cook is highly unlikely to leave Wigan.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Trying to be Objective on Burley on 19:41 - May 6 with 2091 viewsMedwayTractor

Trying to be Objective on Burley on 18:04 - May 6 by HarryfromBath

I'm not sure that i can see that Nigel Clough would be willing to come to Suffolk. Although he might be ready to move on now that Burton have been relegated, on a personal level, he has never played or managed in any further south than Nottingham. He was born in Sunderland and brought up mostly in the East Midlands. All his management jobs have been in that area - Nottm Forest, Derby, Sheff Utd and Burton.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Login to get fewer ads

Trying to be Objective on Burley on 10:29 - May 8 with 1870 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

I've thought long and hard about this option, and the more I ponder, the more I feel George is exactly what our club needs right now.

Watching the game on Sunday with some of our passing and attacking intent was indeed reminiscent of a Burley team at times, and seeing the newfound joy over our performances on the terraces over the past few weeks, this feels like an excellent fit, although it is difficult to ignore the nostalgia and the fond memories so aptly described in the opening paragraph of the OP's original post.

Yes George has not managed for a while, but for him, managing Ipswich Town is not like any other role, it is managing Ipswich Town - it is coming home where he is loved, admired and respected. As he said in his interview, he has been watching plenty of football - it's not as though he's not involved in the game at all.

I fully admit to looking at this with blue-tinted spectacles on, but I also feel confident that fans will come flocking back for George, and as we all know, there is little better than a full Portman Road rocking and supporting our team in unison!

I was impressed when I read Shefki Kuqi's interview and vision for our club.

I was impressed when I read Gary North's interview and analysis of how to move us forward.

I love that George has applied for the job, and am especially impressed by his desire for us to improve, for us to promote from our youth, for us to express ourselves on the pitch in the right way.

There are some good candidates being linked - and some not-so-good ones but IMHO, these 3 should be interviewed at the very least and as a fan, I would be delighted if George got the job!
Trying to be Objective on Burley on 10:33 - May 8 with 1860 viewshype313

"He’s been out of the game for four years and coaching and tactics as well as the level to which no money is a handicap has grown"

I don't think anything groundbreaking has happened in the past 4 years which would makes his appointment unsuitable from a tactics point of view.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Trying to be Objective on Burley on 12:34 - May 8 with 1776 viewsLightningboy

Trying to be Objective on Burley on 10:33 - May 8 by hype313

"He’s been out of the game for four years and coaching and tactics as well as the level to which no money is a handicap has grown"

I don't think anything groundbreaking has happened in the past 4 years which would makes his appointment unsuitable from a tactics point of view.

Makes me laugh when people bang on about how the game has “moved on”.

Last time I checked you still had to put the ball in the net more than the other side to win.

You’d swear Pep Guardiola had invented fire & the wheel.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024