Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Hurst Football Style 21:16 - May 8 with 6205 viewsgosblue

I’ve just been chatting with a Shrewsbury ST holder. He said that although they are delighted with their season, the style of football is not great to watch. They set out not to lose. (Sounds familiar). I’ve also checked the league table - Shrewsbury have only scored 60 league goals this season compared with Wigan - 89 and Blackburn- 82. They do however, have the second best defensive record in the division (39 goals against), bettered only by Wigan (29).
Paul Hurst Football Style on 21:35 - May 8 with 6017 viewsMickMacTerry

To conclude, we need Paul Cook.

Poll: Keep Mick or a loss at Norwich?

Paul Hurst Football Style on 21:41 - May 8 with 5980 viewsm14_blue

I think if we're looking for a young, up and coming manager who has massively overperformed on a tiny budget and also scored the most goals in the league then we're fishing in a very small pond.

Hurst ticks enough of the boxes for me. He may not be absolutely perfect but no one will be.
Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:02 - May 8 with 5815 viewsTrumptonBlue

Well, here's a view from my Shrewsbury-supporting friend:

"He's done an amazing job. We've just run out of steam (all action high pressing style) and goals. Our fans are resigned to him going if we don't go up with the view that he is perfect for you - doesn't need a big budget because he improves players massively and knows where the lower league talent is."

Sounds just the job to me. 60 goals scored is not much compared to Wigan and Blackburn, but it's still a phenomenal amount for Shrewsbury in League 1. They have not been near this level since the late 80s.
Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:03 - May 8 with 5783 viewsElderGrizzly

Paul Hurst Football Style on 21:35 - May 8 by MickMacTerry

To conclude, we need Paul Cook.

Yeah, not happening

Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:04 - May 8 with 5774 viewsSkuse4ballondor

Even though he is clearly a good manager, surely the club needs to take a more attacking approach after the last 5 1/2 years. If results didn't go his way he would have less sympathy due to his approach. I don't understand why he is the fans favourite by such a distance when people have been crying out for attacking football when he simply is not attacking.
Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:05 - May 8 with 5745 viewsSuperfrans

Paul Hurst Football Style on 21:41 - May 8 by m14_blue

I think if we're looking for a young, up and coming manager who has massively overperformed on a tiny budget and also scored the most goals in the league then we're fishing in a very small pond.

Hurst ticks enough of the boxes for me. He may not be absolutely perfect but no one will be.

Nathan Jones. Of the two of them, clearly my first choice.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:09 - May 8 with 5715 viewsSuperfrans

Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:04 - May 8 by Skuse4ballondor

Even though he is clearly a good manager, surely the club needs to take a more attacking approach after the last 5 1/2 years. If results didn't go his way he would have less sympathy due to his approach. I don't understand why he is the fans favourite by such a distance when people have been crying out for attacking football when he simply is not attacking.

His teams play very much a passing game, apparently. Of course, that doesn’t mean everything - Norwich also play a passing game, but are toothless up front.

Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:15 - May 8 with 5642 viewsm14_blue

Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:05 - May 8 by Superfrans

Nathan Jones. Of the two of them, clearly my first choice.

I'd be happy enough with that.

Slight caveat though that gaining promotion with one of the fancied teams and biggest clubs, is great but not necessarily the skill set we need.

What Hurst has done is get the absolute maximum from relegation favourites and made them competitive against teams with massively higher budgets.

Either way I'll be happy, just not Sherwood!
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:20 - May 8 with 5613 viewsSkuse4ballondor

Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:09 - May 8 by Superfrans

His teams play very much a passing game, apparently. Of course, that doesn’t mean everything - Norwich also play a passing game, but are toothless up front.

Whilst a manager who plays football on the ground is good, we still need a manager who attacks. No point having a passing manager if you set up not to lose, we've seen enough of that and we need a change in approach.
Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:39 - May 8 with 5474 viewsHerbivore

Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:04 - May 8 by Skuse4ballondor

I doubt you've watched them play to be honest. They play good, passing football. What they don't have is a Bradley Dack, Danny Graham, Will Grigg or Nick Powell to give them that real cutting edge in attack. Those players cost a bit and the likes of Wigan and Blackburn have massive, massive advantages over Shrewsbury financially. You need to look at more than just stats. They certainly don't set up not to lose from what I've seen.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:41 - May 8 with 5446 viewsSuperfrans

Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:39 - May 8 by Herbivore

I doubt you've watched them play to be honest. They play good, passing football. What they don't have is a Bradley Dack, Danny Graham, Will Grigg or Nick Powell to give them that real cutting edge in attack. Those players cost a bit and the likes of Wigan and Blackburn have massive, massive advantages over Shrewsbury financially. You need to look at more than just stats. They certainly don't set up not to lose from what I've seen.

Have you seen them play much? Genuine question...

Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:57 - May 8 with 5379 viewsHerbivore

Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:41 - May 8 by Superfrans

Have you seen them play much? Genuine question...

A few times. Each time they've played on the front front and kept it on the deck.

Paul Hurst Football Style on 23:00 - May 8 with 5360 viewsSuperfrans

Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:57 - May 8 by Herbivore

A few times. Each time they've played on the front front and kept it on the deck.

Who are their key players? Heard good things about Jon Nolan, who seems to be their playmaker - and who they’re expecting to lose whether they go up or not. Anyone else?

Paul Hurst Football Style on 09:37 - May 9 with 4690 viewsHerbivore

Paul Hurst Football Style on 23:00 - May 8 by Superfrans

Who are their key players? Heard good things about Jon Nolan, who seems to be their playmaker - and who they’re expecting to lose whether they go up or not. Anyone else?

Can't really remember specific players, they looked like a team that was greater than the sum of its parts. They had a tall left back who loved to get forward and reminded me a bit of Tyrone Mings.

Paul Hurst Football Style on 11:34 - May 9 with 4515 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Paul Hurst Football Style on 22:39 - May 8 by Herbivore

This is exactly as I see it as well. Goals scored can be a bit too simplistic given the resources available to them in comparison with their main rivals and Grigg and Dack etc. have skewed the figures in their favour.

From what I've seen of Shrews this season they are capable of playing a few systems and happy to do the dirty stuff, but most importantly (to us anyway) the majority of the side seem comfortable on the ball and are happy to knock it around and change tempo when they can, so I think to be critical of their 'style' is very unfair given they have played some great football as well as 'dug in' and 'battled' much like any successful side will need to do.
Paul Hurst Football Style on 11:40 - May 9 with 4496 viewsDanFord

Out of interest, would you be happy if we finished 3rd next season, only scoring 60 goals but having a great defensive record? We'd all be loving Mick if we were in the playoffs and just missed out on automatic promotion. The issue with Mick was his style was horrible to watch but also stopped yielding results. None of us were thrilled by the football before but just about accepted it when we were flirting with the playoffs. Hurst cannot expect Shrewsbury to score 80 odd goals. They don't have Will Grigg, Danny Graham, Nick Powell or Bradley Dack.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Paul Hurst Football Style on 12:00 - May 9 with 4397 viewsSuperfrans

Paul Hurst Football Style on 09:37 - May 9 by Herbivore

Can't really remember specific players, they looked like a team that was greater than the sum of its parts. They had a tall left back who loved to get forward and reminded me a bit of Tyrone Mings.

That would be Nsiala, I think. he's looked decent whenever I've seen them.

It is an odd situation to be in, hoping they get knocked out of the play-offs so we can get on with approaching Hurst and hopefully appointing him. But the other upside is that he'll have more chance of bringing a couple of his best players with him, if they haven't been promoted.

Paul Hurst Football Style on 20:00 - May 10 with 4018 viewsHerbivore

Paul Hurst Football Style on 12:00 - May 9 by Superfrans

That would be Nsiala, I think. he's looked decent whenever I've seen them.

It is an odd situation to be in, hoping they get knocked out of the play-offs so we can get on with approaching Hurst and hopefully appointing him. But the other upside is that he'll have more chance of bringing a couple of his best players with him, if they haven't been promoted.

Watching again tonight, it was Omar Beckles who impressed me. Really tall and looks a bit ungainly but has good feet and gets forward well. Not a bad game so far.

Paul Hurst Football Style on 21:00 - May 10 with 3893 viewsblueconscience

Paul Hurst Football Style on 20:00 - May 10 by Herbivore

Watching again tonight, it was Omar Beckles who impressed me. Really tall and looks a bit ungainly but has good feet and gets forward well. Not a bad game so far.

Both teams playing positive football, nothing like what you would expect reading the original post.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Paul Hurst Football Style on 21:10 - May 10 with 3836 viewsHerbivore

Paul Hurst Football Style on 21:00 - May 10 by blueconscience

Both teams playing positive football, nothing like what you would expect reading the original post.

Indeed. They're playing good stuff and getting forward but you can also see why they don't score many as they lack a bit of genuine quality in the final third, but that's unsurprising given their budget. They've got a nice mix, they are organised well but the players also seem comfortable on the ball and have licence to express themselves.

Paul Hurst Football Style on 23:04 - May 10 with 3623 viewsconnorscontract

Paul Hurst Football Style on 11:40 - May 9 by DanFord

Out of interest, would you be happy if we finished 3rd next season, only scoring 60 goals but having a great defensive record? We'd all be loving Mick if we were in the playoffs and just missed out on automatic promotion. The issue with Mick was his style was horrible to watch but also stopped yielding results. None of us were thrilled by the football before but just about accepted it when we were flirting with the playoffs. Hurst cannot expect Shrewsbury to score 80 odd goals. They don't have Will Grigg, Danny Graham, Nick Powell or Bradley Dack.

We played a completely different system under Mick in the Play Off season to subsequently.

In the Play Off season we played High Press, with Stephen Hunt in particular chasing lost causes and hassling defenders into mistakes. Murphy also pressed very well. Anderson was played as a wide midfielder.

The high press ultimately failed against teams who played counter-attacking football with quick forwards, epitomised in the Play Off defeat. Ming's was our safety net as he was seriously quick. Without him we'd have been very vulnerable had we continued to play High Press.

So he then moved to playing counter attack with wingers, which worked brilliantly as long as Fraser was fit, and then Williams came in and was great but got injured, and then Lawrence made it work for a while the next season and then Celina wasn't quite as consistent. Others like AMN, or latterly Carayol showed glimpses, or like Oar or Cameron Stewart complete wastes of money. So he tried to build an attacking style.

The problem with Mick's football was two-fold. The counter-attacking system needed enough players with pace all fit at the same time, and each season was undone by injuries. And secondly, Mick had a horrible habit of sitting back even more once we took a lead, even when we were battering teams. So frustrating.

On those occasions when we had no quick attacking players fit we would sit back but then lack the weaponry to catch the opponents on the break, as this was all too common a turgid nothingball became the norm.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024