Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Hurst Style 19:15 - May 23 with 4890 viewsjas0999

I always thought Paul Hurst played a passing style of football. Attacking. The more I’ve read the more it would seem he’s a 1-0 man. Anyone know his actual style of play!
Paul Hurst Style on 19:20 - May 23 with 4848 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Plenty of higher scoring matches;

http://www.skysports.com/shrewsbury-town-results

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Paul Hurst Style on 19:21 - May 23 with 4832 viewsOsborneOneNil

They were excellent in the P.O. games v Charlton
Paul Hurst Style on 19:26 - May 23 with 4810 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Watched him a couple of times this season, 4/5 times. Only once did I think they were poor in a 0-0 away at Bradford. Other than that, the best way to describe his style is incredibly incredibly efficient. Not long, not short ball. Efficient. The man bears no comparison to back foot stubborn football. Always sets up front foot, always tries to win no matter the opponent. A real smart football brain, tries to play football, but won’t be caught playing at the back, 1-0 with 10 minutes to go for example.

I watch an awful lot of football, too much the Mrs will say. And the easiest comparison at the elite level, is that along Diego simeones Atletico.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Paul Hurst Style on 19:27 - May 23 with 4800 viewsMullet

Not a massive departure from Mick, so if Evans backs him we're fine.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Paul Hurst Style on 19:27 - May 23 with 4810 viewsHerbivore

They play it on the deck whilst being organised and hard working. Players seem to have a bit of licence to express themselves, however they lack a bit of quality in the final third.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Paul Hurst Style on 19:41 - May 23 with 4732 viewsjas0999

Paul Hurst Style on 19:26 - May 23 by TheTrueBlue1878

Watched him a couple of times this season, 4/5 times. Only once did I think they were poor in a 0-0 away at Bradford. Other than that, the best way to describe his style is incredibly incredibly efficient. Not long, not short ball. Efficient. The man bears no comparison to back foot stubborn football. Always sets up front foot, always tries to win no matter the opponent. A real smart football brain, tries to play football, but won’t be caught playing at the back, 1-0 with 10 minutes to go for example.

I watch an awful lot of football, too much the Mrs will say. And the easiest comparison at the elite level, is that along Diego simeones Atletico.

Thanks. So, your pick for new manager?
Paul Hurst Style on 19:47 - May 23 with 4691 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Paul Hurst Style on 19:41 - May 23 by jas0999

Thanks. So, your pick for new manager?

oh without a shadow of a doubt, his balance between organisation and fluidity (final third) is something you see been installed in the top level. Probably why he has been involved in 7 promotion campaigns in his short managerial career. Only one step of the Championship, unlike Ross in a different country. And has done miracles at shrewsbury on the budget, and has done it the right way, probably why he attracts to Evans so much.

Always remember him away at Rotherham. Playing his preferred 4-1-4-1, was 1-0 up and Anthony Ogogo (CM) was sent off, went 1-1, and under MM we would have set up shop. Where as Shrewsbury switched to a 3-4-2 and won it in the last minute. I just remember thinking how refreshing and tactically gifted that was, wishing he’d come to PR and now he just might.

Paul Hurst Style on 20:08 - May 23 with 4578 viewsOsborneOneNil

Paul Hurst Style on 19:27 - May 23 by Mullet

Not a massive departure from Mick, so if Evans backs him we're fine.

He’s far more adventurous and front foot than MM.
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Hurst Style on 20:15 - May 23 with 4528 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Paul Hurst Style on 20:08 - May 23 by OsborneOneNil

Oh there is no comparison when it comes to be adventurous, Paul Burst demands from foot play, home or away. And his game management within games is second to none, something MM needs dramatic work on. Hurst starts all games front foot but is knowledgable enough to know when to sit behind the ball for 10. Or knows when to go for the juggler, and pounce upon sustained pressure. Paul Hurst is more cut from the continetinal Italian mould than Northern English.

Paul Hurst Style on 20:20 - May 23 with 4494 viewsOsborneOneNil

Paul Hurst Style on 20:15 - May 23 by TheTrueBlue1878

Oh there is no comparison when it comes to be adventurous, Paul Burst demands from foot play, home or away. And his game management within games is second to none, something MM needs dramatic work on. Hurst starts all games front foot but is knowledgable enough to know when to sit behind the ball for 10. Or knows when to go for the juggler, and pounce upon sustained pressure. Paul Hurst is more cut from the continetinal Italian mould than Northern English.

Agreed, really impressed me v Charlton, home and away.
Paul Hurst Style on 20:21 - May 23 with 4481 viewscressi

We will be the athletico Madrid we will press be in the other sides faces definitely a Diego Simone style and also successful in his own right .
Paul Hurst Style on 20:48 - May 23 with 4357 viewsMach_foreignBlue

I've seen people on TWTD claiming that he's a younger version of McCarthy.

Based on what I've seen it's totally wrong. It's 3 games I can comment on that is their away match to Bradford which was on Sky so was both play-off games against Charlton.

That game against Bradford. Even though they were down to 10 men they were intent on winning this. Would we ever see that under McCarthy? Never. That approach has really appealed to me.

Play-offs 1st leg at the Valley. Under the cosh in the first 20 minutes afterwards mostly on the front foot and got the deserved winner. Never set up for the draw and match the opposition. Good approach and good win.

2nd leg at theirs a bit more pragmatic but nothing wrong with that. They weren't set up just to contain Charlton.

As long as Hurst :
1. Doesn't yap the crap like: 'the more calls for changes the less likely they will get it'.
2. Doesn't have a warped ego.
3. Doesn't make numerous digs at our fans
4. Doesn't make us worry about an opposition
5. Doesn't set us up to stop opposition from playing
6. Doesn't play 8-9 defensively minded players.
7. His priority is to win matches instead of worrying about opposition.

That will do then. If we somehow are lucky to appoint him as our manager that should be a good choice.
[Post edited 23 May 2018 20:49]
Paul Hurst Style on 21:05 - May 23 with 4252 viewsm14_blue

Yep, completely different approach to the game.

I think his rather dour Yorkshire demeanor has led to some of the Mick comparisons. After Ipswich, Shrewsbury are the team I watch the most and I can tell you they absolutely nothing in common with Town of the last 2 seasons.

They don't score that many but ALWAYS set up to win, home or away.
Paul Hurst Style on 21:07 - May 23 with 4236 viewsMullet

Depends which version of MM you're talking about. From a philosophical point of view they're not worlds apart, especially relative to the other candidates.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Paul Hurst Style on 21:29 - May 23 with 4141 viewsjas0999

Paul Hurst Style on 19:47 - May 23 by TheTrueBlue1878

oh without a shadow of a doubt, his balance between organisation and fluidity (final third) is something you see been installed in the top level. Probably why he has been involved in 7 promotion campaigns in his short managerial career. Only one step of the Championship, unlike Ross in a different country. And has done miracles at shrewsbury on the budget, and has done it the right way, probably why he attracts to Evans so much.

Always remember him away at Rotherham. Playing his preferred 4-1-4-1, was 1-0 up and Anthony Ogogo (CM) was sent off, went 1-1, and under MM we would have set up shop. Where as Shrewsbury switched to a 3-4-2 and won it in the last minute. I just remember thinking how refreshing and tactically gifted that was, wishing he’d come to PR and now he just might.

I’m sold! What happens if he turns us down - I don’t know!
Paul Hurst Style on 21:29 - May 23 with 4136 viewsHerbivore

Paul Hurst Style on 21:29 - May 23 by jas0999

Then we're pretty fcked, mate.

Paul Hurst Style on 21:32 - May 23 with 4127 viewsclive_baker

Paul Hurst Style on 19:21 - May 23 by OsborneOneNil

They were excellent in the P.O. games v Charlton

I only saw the 2nd leg and I couldn’t disagree more.

Keen to see more of them but that was a horribly cagey performance against Charlton. They looked petrified.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Paul Hurst Style on 21:34 - May 23 with 4104 viewsHerbivore

Paul Hurst Style on 21:32 - May 23 by clive_baker

I only saw the 2nd leg and I couldn’t disagree more.

Keen to see more of them but that was a horribly cagey performance against Charlton. They looked petrified.

They had an iffy first half but were the better side second half and could have won by more. Play off games are always cagey but over the two legs they ran out worthy and relatively comfortable winners.

Paul Hurst Style on 21:46 - May 23 with 4045 viewsclive_baker

Paul Hurst Style on 21:34 - May 23 by Herbivore

They had an iffy first half but were the better side second half and could have won by more. Play off games are always cagey but over the two legs they ran out worthy and relatively comfortable winners.

I mean they’ve had a great season, just thought they were poor in that 2nd leg, didn’t look good in possession at all. The season as a whole though, to go toe to toe with Wigan and Blackburn for so long given the comparative squad and budgets is a great achievement. I hope they finish the job in the final, although of course that might make it harder to prize him away.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Paul Hurst Style on 21:48 - May 23 with 4025 viewsVic

Paul Hurst Style on 21:29 - May 23 by jas0999

Scotty Parker

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Paul Hurst Style on 21:51 - May 23 with 3990 viewsDarth_Koont

Paul Hurst Style on 20:48 - May 23 by Mach_foreignBlue

Based on what I've seen it's totally wrong. It's 3 games I can comment on that is their away match to Bradford which was on Sky so was both play-off games against Charlton.

That game against Bradford. Even though they were down to 10 men they were intent on winning this. Would we ever see that under McCarthy? Never. That approach has really appealed to me.

Play-offs 1st leg at the Valley. Under the cosh in the first 20 minutes afterwards mostly on the front foot and got the deserved winner. Never set up for the draw and match the opposition. Good approach and good win.

2nd leg at theirs a bit more pragmatic but nothing wrong with that. They weren't set up just to contain Charlton.

As long as Hurst :
1. Doesn't yap the crap like: 'the more calls for changes the less likely they will get it'.

That will do then. If we somehow are lucky to appoint him as our manager that should be a good choice.

Jeeeeez.

Move on, man.

Pronouns: He/Him

Paul Hurst Style on 21:52 - May 23 with 3984 viewsHerbivore

Paul Hurst Style on 21:51 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

Jeeeeez.

Move on, man.

Yeah, it's pretty unhealthy.

Paul Hurst Style on 21:54 - May 23 with 3967 viewsSuperfrans

Paul Hurst Style on 21:46 - May 23 by clive_baker

I mean they’ve had a great season, just thought they were poor in that 2nd leg, didn’t look good in possession at all. The season as a whole though, to go toe to toe with Wigan and Blackburn for so long given the comparative squad and budgets is a great achievement. I hope they finish the job in the final, although of course that might make it harder to prize him away.

We should all be supporting Josh Emmanuel on Sunday... ;-)

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Paul Hurst Style on 21:56 - May 23 with 3952 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Paul Hurst Style on 20:48 - May 23 by Mach_foreignBlue

As long as Hurst :

Some very very good points their, the Bradford game was a poor reflection of STFC and have Omar Beckles not had been sent off first half could have been a better second half.

I think it’s the key element from the new manager that First and foremost they unite fans together. And secondly they must play on the front foot. Paul Hurst ticks so many boxes for me it is incredible.

Paul Hurst Style on 22:13 - May 23 with 3876 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Paul Hurst Style on 21:54 - May 23 by Superfrans

We should all be supporting Josh Emmanuel on Sunday... ;-)

Won’t be backing Rotherham, as my mate is te Right Back for Shrewsbury

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024