Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview 09:17 - May 29 with 2084 viewsKieranMcKenna1

Poll: Are you Mick out or Mick in?

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 09:41 - May 29 with 1927 viewsGodBlue

It's obviously a little disappointing if we've done anything nefarious, but there's no mention of whether Hurst's rolling contract had been renewed for next season... if it hadn't, surely he was well within his rights to speak to whomsoever he wishes?

Also, wouldn't that make the need for a 'compensation package' basically non-existent?

Feels like a little bit of saving face going on there to me. Fans aren't going to be thrilled if he's gone for nothing and there's nothing the club can do about it, so blame Ipswich. That's the danger of rolling contracts, right?

I notice it went from "illegal approach" at the beginning of the piece, to "potentially illegal approach" at the end.

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 09:59 - May 29 with 1862 viewsIpswichTownNL

The Ross situation caused us to make an approach last week. Evans obviously couldn't gamble on Hurst willingness and needed guarantees. It’s unfortunate that Hurst had to put up a show after the game and leaves Shrewsbury a little damaged but can’t see how we could have handled it any other way.

Dutch Tractor Boys! Follow on Twitter; @IpswichTownNL

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 10:02 - May 29 with 1847 viewsbluefunk

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 09:41 - May 29 by GodBlue

It's obviously a little disappointing if we've done anything nefarious, but there's no mention of whether Hurst's rolling contract had been renewed for next season... if it hadn't, surely he was well within his rights to speak to whomsoever he wishes?

Also, wouldn't that make the need for a 'compensation package' basically non-existent?

Feels like a little bit of saving face going on there to me. Fans aren't going to be thrilled if he's gone for nothing and there's nothing the club can do about it, so blame Ipswich. That's the danger of rolling contracts, right?

I notice it went from "illegal approach" at the beginning of the piece, to "potentially illegal approach" at the end.

It’s a rolling contract, it doesn’t get renewed, so we have to compensate Shrewsbury for the 12 months remaining
Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 10:15 - May 29 with 1816 viewsGodBlue

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 10:02 - May 29 by bluefunk

It’s a rolling contract, it doesn’t get renewed, so we have to compensate Shrewsbury for the 12 months remaining

Oh, apologies. My (limited) knowledge of such things suggested that both parties still have to agree to the rollover ahead of the expiration date of the contract.

Surely you can't just force someone's contract to roll for another year, otherwise he'd never technically be out of contract?

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 10:22 - May 29 with 1789 viewsbluefunk

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 10:15 - May 29 by GodBlue

Oh, apologies. My (limited) knowledge of such things suggested that both parties still have to agree to the rollover ahead of the expiration date of the contract.

Surely you can't just force someone's contract to roll for another year, otherwise he'd never technically be out of contract?

You’ve hit the nail on the head. That’s the whole point of a rolling contract, there’s always 12 months to run, which offers protection for both parties - the club get compensated if he leaves and the manger gets paid for 12 months if he’s sacked
Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 10:25 - May 29 with 1780 viewsGodBlue

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 10:22 - May 29 by bluefunk

You’ve hit the nail on the head. That’s the whole point of a rolling contract, there’s always 12 months to run, which offers protection for both parties - the club get compensated if he leaves and the manger gets paid for 12 months if he’s sacked

Sounds moderately sensible.

I see Stuart Watson has spoken to the club and they're preparing a retort to the 'illegal approach' claim. Could be interesting.

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 10:30 - May 29 with 1768 viewsPhilTWTD

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 09:59 - May 29 by IpswichTownNL

The Ross situation caused us to make an approach last week. Evans obviously couldn't gamble on Hurst willingness and needed guarantees. It’s unfortunate that Hurst had to put up a show after the game and leaves Shrewsbury a little damaged but can’t see how we could have handled it any other way.

To be fair, we've been reporting that Town have had a very strong indication that Hurst would be up for coming here for some while before that. And I know Shrewsbury were well aware of our interest, even if they seem to have been somewhat less in the loop than I thought was the case.
Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 12:02 - May 29 with 1706 viewsFreddy

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 10:30 - May 29 by PhilTWTD

To be fair, we've been reporting that Town have had a very strong indication that Hurst would be up for coming here for some while before that. And I know Shrewsbury were well aware of our interest, even if they seem to have been somewhat less in the loop than I thought was the case.

Sounds to me that talks have been going on with his agent for a couple of weeks before permission was given to talk to Hurst but that's football.

Listening to their chairman can see why he's disappointed that it all happened so quickly after the game
Login to get fewer ads

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 12:10 - May 29 with 1692 viewsurbanblue

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 10:30 - May 29 by PhilTWTD

I bet they were in the loop. Just couldn't say anything because of the play off final.
[Post edited 29 May 2018 12:10]
Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 12:15 - May 29 with 1681 viewsPhilTWTD

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 12:02 - May 29 by Freddy

Sounds to me that talks have been going on with his agent for a couple of weeks before permission was given to talk to Hurst but that's football.

Listening to their chairman can see why he's disappointed that it all happened so quickly after the game

I think it goes back longer than that as I'd heard we'd left things alone during the play-offs. Agree, I think disappointment at the speed of developments is probably his main irk, as well as not hearing from us directly before the agent called him up.
Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 12:25 - May 29 with 1634 viewsPhilTWTD

Link to Shrewsbury chief executive interview on 10:25 - May 29 by GodBlue

Sounds moderately sensible.

I see Stuart Watson has spoken to the club and they're preparing a retort to the 'illegal approach' claim. Could be interesting.

I've been waiting for their response since I put the quotes up this morning. I gather it's not going to be anything too detailed or combative, just a line or so.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024