Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Further to the female commentator debacle ..... 15:00 - Jun 29 with 1909 viewsDanFord

Martin Tyler. Clive Tyldsley. Jonathan Pearce. John Motson. Jon Champion. Ian Darke. Barry Davies. Peter Drury. Brian Moore. None of them have any kind of strong regional accent. Some differences for sure but they all sound very neutral in their voices. No clear Yorkshire accent. No blatant scouse. No cockney twang. Why is this? Because they know full well what people do and do not get annoyed by and whether people like it or not, strong regional accents will turn off a percentage of viewers. All of us will have preferences. Many people find scouse and brummie accents irritating. Been surveys confirming it. Likewise, people apparently love Iish and Scottish accents. Women can commentate in just as knowledgeable and professional a manner as men, but it's baffling that people aren't entitled to say they don't like certain female voices. I think there are blokes that just don't want women commentating which is sexist. But how can you not have a view on the female voice, which is also very different to the standard, non-regional accent man that seems to have been specially selected for these jobs? Summarisers like Pat Nevin, Mick McCarthy or Robbie Savage seem fine to have strong accents. But not male commentators!
[Post edited 29 Jun 2018 15:01]

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 15:05 - Jun 29 with 1870 viewsDeano69

Pretty sure its been mentioned before, try and break the text up a bit. Paragraphs would be great.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 15:17 - Jun 29 with 1830 viewsJ2BLUE

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 15:39 - Jun 29 with 1775 viewsBenters2

Christ on a bike what a messy opening post!

Go for a walk in the fresh air or something.
Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 16:03 - Jun 29 with 1731 viewsmonytowbray

I had no idea that women without a regional accent don't exist.

I don't think people find the female accent annoying, nor have they ever actually experienced a women commentating on a football game to conclude it's annoying.

It's being unaware of social conditioning (BIRDS AND FOOTBALL, NAH MATE, BLOKE'S SPORT) at best and a disguise/excuse for sexism at worst.

I think this whole topic reached the gender equivalent of "I'm not racist but..." not long after Cundy made the remark and I first posted it, and it shows no sign of changing. I imagine this is the kind of thing people will talk about in 50 years time and laugh at how fragile masculinity objected over the sex of the person explaining hat was happening in a live sporting event.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 16:06 - Jun 29 with 1724 viewsJ2BLUE

Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 16:03 - Jun 29 by monytowbray

I had no idea that women without a regional accent don't exist.

I don't think people find the female accent annoying, nor have they ever actually experienced a women commentating on a football game to conclude it's annoying.

It's being unaware of social conditioning (BIRDS AND FOOTBALL, NAH MATE, BLOKE'S SPORT) at best and a disguise/excuse for sexism at worst.

I think this whole topic reached the gender equivalent of "I'm not racist but..." not long after Cundy made the remark and I first posted it, and it shows no sign of changing. I imagine this is the kind of thing people will talk about in 50 years time and laugh at how fragile masculinity objected over the sex of the person explaining hat was happening in a live sporting event.

I fail to see how anyone can object to female commentators when one of the current male ones is Mark Lawrenson.

Give me literally any woman in the world commentating over him.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 16:08 - Jun 29 with 1711 viewschicoazul

Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 16:06 - Jun 29 by J2BLUE

I fail to see how anyone can object to female commentators when one of the current male ones is Mark Lawrenson.

Lawro is amazing.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 17:34 - Jun 29 with 1617 viewsBlueBadger

Ironically enough, Lawrenson is probably more of an old woman than of the actual meal commentators..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 18:03 - Jun 29 with 1591 viewsHennikerBlu

Strange how we don't mind ladies voices in certain other situations.....…..*

For the record I have no problem with female commentators as long as they commentate and are not annoying like Mark Lawrenson!

*Eartha Kitt for example you sleaze balls!
Login to get fewer ads

Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 18:06 - Jun 29 with 1585 viewsHennikerBlu

Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 17:34 - Jun 29 by BlueBadger

Ironically enough, Lawrenson is probably more of an old woman than of the actual meal commentators..

Hehe 100% gets on my nerves with his subtle attempts at t-wit. But in way I would hate it if he went. Just wish he would focus more on the game commentary
Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 18:13 - Jun 29 with 1567 viewsHARRY10

I like that notorious heterosexual Robbie Savage

Perhaps he could adopt Ray Wilkins old nickname
Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 18:29 - Jun 29 with 1548 viewsKeno

Further to the female commentator debacle ..... on 16:08 - Jun 29 by chicoazul

Lawro is amazing.

did you forget "ingly annoying" off your post?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024