Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bottled it again 21:31 - Jul 11 with 4549 viewsgt81

What happened 2nd half?
Bottled it again on 21:31 - Jul 11 with 3234 viewsjjblue84

Bottled it.
Bottled it again on 21:34 - Jul 11 with 3215 viewsVic

Bottled it? Utter rubbish.

But this is not a night to argue among ourselves, it’s a night to be proud of our boys.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Bottled it again on 21:36 - Jul 11 with 3196 viewsgt81

Bottled it again on 21:34 - Jul 11 by Vic

Bottled it? Utter rubbish.

But this is not a night to argue among ourselves, it’s a night to be proud of our boys.

It's been ok, but we really let them off the hook. We probably won't get another chance like this for ages.
Bottled it again on 21:37 - Jul 11 with 3189 viewsSwansea_Blue

A bit naive from Southgate not closing down the midfield and not reacting to the threat down our left in time. Plus they have the mental strength and have better quality players. We shouldn’t be ashamed, or overly critical. They’ve done a lot better than expected.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bottled it again on 21:38 - Jul 11 with 3175 viewspoppiesman

Bottled it again on 21:31 - Jul 11 by jjblue84

Bottled it.

Clueless comment.
Bottled it again on 21:40 - Jul 11 with 3153 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bottled it again on 21:36 - Jul 11 by gt81

It's been ok, but we really let them off the hook. We probably won't get another chance like this for ages.

Yep. We didn’t have the quality to finish that game in the first half. We should have as we were well on top.

Individual quality made the difference.

Bottled it again on 21:40 - Jul 11 with 3151 viewsjas0999

Croatia deserved to win. Missed a couple of excellent chances first half. Lacked quality from their.

Good tournament but gutted,
Bottled it again on 21:41 - Jul 11 with 3139 viewsjjblue84

Bottled it again on 21:38 - Jul 11 by poppiesman

Clueless comment.

Great first half. But second half was men against boys. Pickford, Trippier, Maguire solid. Kane strangely nowhere.
Login to get fewer ads

Bottled it again on 21:42 - Jul 11 with 3121 viewseireblue

Bottled it again on 21:36 - Jul 11 by gt81

I reckon it could be as much as four years.
Bottled it again on 21:42 - Jul 11 with 3123 viewsgt81

Bottled it again on 21:37 - Jul 11 by Swansea_Blue

A bit naive from Southgate not closing down the midfield and not reacting to the threat down our left in time. Plus they have the mental strength and have better quality players. We shouldn’t be ashamed, or overly critical. They’ve done a lot better than expected.

It's not so much this team, they've done ok and they may get stronger from this experience, but as a footballing nation we must be the bottlers of world football. It's always the same disappointment.

I'm glad that we don't have to face the possibility of losing to France in the final, hope Croatia stuff them!
Bottled it again on 21:46 - Jul 11 with 3069 viewsbaxterbasics

As well as they did to get so far, I do agree that they bottled the second half and never really got back in it. Shame.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Bottled it again on 21:48 - Jul 11 with 3049 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bottled it again on 21:42 - Jul 11 by gt81

It's not so much this team, they've done ok and they may get stronger from this experience, but as a footballing nation we must be the bottlers of world football. It's always the same disappointment.

I'm glad that we don't have to face the possibility of losing to France in the final, hope Croatia stuff them!

It’s not bottle though. We were on the ropes all second half, but came out and bossed the first period of extra time. That shows spirit. We were rocked when Sweden scored, but came back and bossed extra time. That shows spirit.

Youngest team in the tournament they’ve just said. Plenty of bottle, just lacking a bit of experience and quality. The better quality team won. That’s all.

Our players worked like trojans, but on the ball we weren’t good enough. Several had poor games with the ball. Add in Kane not playing up top and you’ve got the fine margin that results in defeat rather than a win.

But who expected them to do as well as they’ve done? Nobody.

Bottled it again on 21:49 - Jul 11 with 3038 viewsStokieBlue

Fook off.

That is all.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Bottled it again on 21:50 - Jul 11 with 3027 viewsgt81

Bottled it again on 21:46 - Jul 11 by baxterbasics

As well as they did to get so far, I do agree that they bottled the second half and never really got back in it. Shame.

That's really the ONLY thing that disappoints me, we always lack the mental fortitude to ever be considered real contenders at major tournaments.

But credit to Southgate and the players, no big egos at this tournament, the effort was there but we simply weren't good enough. And for all the criticism Sterling got, including myself, we were toothless without him tonight.
Bottled it again on 21:57 - Jul 11 with 2978 viewsBent_double

Bottled it again on 21:50 - Jul 11 by gt81

That's really the ONLY thing that disappoints me, we always lack the mental fortitude to ever be considered real contenders at major tournaments.

But credit to Southgate and the players, no big egos at this tournament, the effort was there but we simply weren't good enough. And for all the criticism Sterling got, including myself, we were toothless without him tonight.

I was surprised when he brought Dier on. thought perhaps Loftus-Cheek would be a better prospect in midfield.

I was calling for Rashford to replace Sterling for ages, but to be fair, he didn't do anything when he came on to justify replacing him.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Bottled it again on 22:03 - Jul 11 with 2936 viewsgt81

Bottled it again on 21:57 - Jul 11 by Bent_double

I was surprised when he brought Dier on. thought perhaps Loftus-Cheek would be a better prospect in midfield.

I was calling for Rashford to replace Sterling for ages, but to be fair, he didn't do anything when he came on to justify replacing him.

We really needed some energy in midfield 2nd half, I text my sister's partner at half time saying I really hoped we wouldn't sit back and let Croatia come at us but so it turned out.

But this squad was always lacking a bit of depth in midfield, outside of the starters I don't think there was anyone that could take a game by the scruff if the neck and turn it on a sixpence, maybe Loftus-Cheek as you said, but it's academic now.
Bottled it again on 22:03 - Jul 11 with 2934 viewsHurleyBurley

Did we fock!

We had a better side rattled for 45 minutes.

In such a short space of time Southgate has turned us round from no hopers to potential winners.
This WC has been massive for English football.

Poll: World Cup final: Who do you WANT to win?

Bottled it again on 22:06 - Jul 11 with 2903 viewsNo9

Lost the midfield (bit like Town do) which is where Croatia are strong.
Nothing to be ashamed of England just needs to start producing good midfield players.

The team did well overall, and didn't go to pieces
They will grow - onward & upward but midfield is in urgent need of change
Bottled it again on 22:07 - Jul 11 with 2903 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bottled it again on 21:57 - Jul 11 by Bent_double

I was the opposite. I though Sterling should have stayed on and targeted Lovren. Lingard amd Alli for me had stinkers on the ball in that midfield. Either could of/should of come of. But they may well have been running their nuts off off the ball - you can’t see that on tv. Kane could have been used as a target man, rather than dropping deep to try and dictate play. Both wing backs were poor on the ball. Henderson continued gave possession away trying to play quick direct balls - he’s kept it simple til now and has been great as a result; why change that?. We were a bit to eager to go direct at times and concedes posession to easily as a result.

It just didn’t click tonight when we were on top. Croatia showed how to turn the screw when you get your chance in the game.

Ho hum. I don’t mind too much though. We did better than I thought we would. We should celebrate this WC.

Bottled it again on 22:10 - Jul 11 with 2889 viewsgt81

Bottled it again on 22:03 - Jul 11 by HurleyBurley

Did we fock!

We had a better side rattled for 45 minutes.

In such a short space of time Southgate has turned us round from no hopers to potential winners.
This WC has been massive for English football.

Trouble is games don't last 45 minutes.

When the dust has settled, I bet if you asked any of the England players they'd want to play that 2nd half over again.

Also, all the other big nations that fell early will be looking to improve for next time, including nations that didn't even make it like Holland and Italy and you can bet your house on Germany bouncing back big time.

This was our golden opportunity, it could easily be another 28 years before we make it this far again. Or we might win the Euros in 2 years time. I hope Southgate will still be in charge then, he is the right man for the job going forwards.
Bottled it again on 22:13 - Jul 11 with 2865 viewssolemio

You can point to a couple of mistakes, but overall I thought Walker had a good game.
Bottled it again on 22:20 - Jul 11 with 2829 viewsHurleyBurley

Bottled it again on 22:10 - Jul 11 by gt81

Trouble is games don't last 45 minutes.

When the dust has settled, I bet if you asked any of the England players they'd want to play that 2nd half over again.

Also, all the other big nations that fell early will be looking to improve for next time, including nations that didn't even make it like Holland and Italy and you can bet your house on Germany bouncing back big time.

This was our golden opportunity, it could easily be another 28 years before we make it this far again. Or we might win the Euros in 2 years time. I hope Southgate will still be in charge then, he is the right man for the job going forwards.

True, but Croatia won that 2nd half, rather than us losing it. They realised what we were about. Teams traditionally play a physical game against us because we have a history of not falling over. Now we're among the best at winning set pieces. It took them 45 minutes to realise that.

Colombia were scared sh1tless of giving Kane space in the penalty area and preferred to hassle him, Croatia stood off him a little in the 2nd half and took the risk of him heading wide.

Didn't you see how they changed in the second half?

My only disappointment was how we played in extra time. I think we lost our composure and reverted a bit to how we've been in the past.

If we unearth a truly talented player like Modric of our own we have real hope for the future. As it is, Southgate worked wonders with that he had at his disposal.

Poll: World Cup final: Who do you WANT to win?

Bottled it again on 22:23 - Jul 11 with 2811 viewsTractorWood

Bottled it again on 21:40 - Jul 11 by jas0999

Croatia deserved to win. Missed a couple of excellent chances first half. Lacked quality from their.

Good tournament but gutted,

This. Should have punished them in them in the first 25.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Bottled it again on 22:23 - Jul 11 with 2809 viewsvapour_trail

Better team won out. We had a good go though.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Bottled it again on 22:29 - Jul 11 with 2777 viewsgt81

Bottled it again on 22:20 - Jul 11 by HurleyBurley

True, but Croatia won that 2nd half, rather than us losing it. They realised what we were about. Teams traditionally play a physical game against us because we have a history of not falling over. Now we're among the best at winning set pieces. It took them 45 minutes to realise that.

Colombia were scared sh1tless of giving Kane space in the penalty area and preferred to hassle him, Croatia stood off him a little in the 2nd half and took the risk of him heading wide.

Didn't you see how they changed in the second half?

My only disappointment was how we played in extra time. I think we lost our composure and reverted a bit to how we've been in the past.

If we unearth a truly talented player like Modric of our own we have real hope for the future. As it is, Southgate worked wonders with that he had at his disposal.

I saw how they changed, but we allowed them too much time and space to effect that change. Our game dropped off massively and at times our composure went out of the window.

I'm also surprised at how much more fitter and energetic they were coming off the back off two games that went to extra time while a lot of our players were rested against Belgium. But maybe you could put that down to the heat, maybe the Croats are more used to it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024