Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It appears rather telling 09:08 - Jul 17 with 1841 viewsDanFord

That Hurst seems to consider players on our staff not able to do things in a footballing sense or fitness wise, that he would expect as the bare minimum from the Shrewsbury side that were considered amongst the favourites for the drop a year ago. Championship players who should not only be functioning in both senses at a higher level but don't seem to even be at League One level. That's taking into account the extra effort given by players when a new manager comes in. Very worrying that we seem to have so many players that Hurst, clearly a winner and good judge of player, doesn't seem to particularly rate in what should be the basics.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

It appears rather telling on 09:40 - Jul 17 with 1756 viewsGuthrum

With regard to fitness, perhaps the club has previously been concentrating on the wrong sort for what Hurst wants. Maybe strength and bulk instead of speed and/or agility. The two sides can often work against each other. Might explain the emphasis on running and why he's had to scale it back. After all, the players' out-of-season fitness programmes would have been tailored in the old way.

Similarly on the skill side (and something I've been banging on about for some time), few of our players display much aptitude and enthusiasm for actually running with the ball. Instead they jog a few paces, stop and look around for a pass. Perhaps Hurst (with his known liking for wingers) values players who can run at the opposition and that may be the source of his disappointment on that front.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

It appears rather telling on 09:42 - Jul 17 with 1725 viewstextbackup

He’s probably shocked to think his Shrewsbury team would have dicked us twice in a season.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

It appears rather telling on 09:42 - Jul 17 with 1729 viewsDanFord

It appears rather telling on 09:40 - Jul 17 by Guthrum

With regard to fitness, perhaps the club has previously been concentrating on the wrong sort for what Hurst wants. Maybe strength and bulk instead of speed and/or agility. The two sides can often work against each other. Might explain the emphasis on running and why he's had to scale it back. After all, the players' out-of-season fitness programmes would have been tailored in the old way.

Similarly on the skill side (and something I've been banging on about for some time), few of our players display much aptitude and enthusiasm for actually running with the ball. Instead they jog a few paces, stop and look around for a pass. Perhaps Hurst (with his known liking for wingers) values players who can run at the opposition and that may be the source of his disappointment on that front.

Certainly the fitness point is a valid one and as you say that can come down to style, but I reckon Hurst must be utterly shocked at how few players we have that look comfortable on the ball making a pass. Webster has gone so we now have an entire defence of players that prefer to launch it. McGoldrick has gone. Leaves Dozzell, Bishop, Huws, Waghorn and only a couple more that even look capable of moving with the ball until a pass is available rather than giving it to someone else immediately.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

It appears rather telling on 09:43 - Jul 17 with 1715 viewsBlueBadger

It appears rather telling on 09:40 - Jul 17 by Guthrum

The other concern I've had with fitness over recent years is the rehab the players seem to get after long injuries. Players have either tended to not get injured or have recurring long-term injuries, which suggests something not happening right with the recovery phase.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

It appears rather telling on 09:52 - Jul 17 with 1677 viewsGuthrum

It appears rather telling on 09:43 - Jul 17 by BlueBadger

The other concern I've had with fitness over recent years is the rehab the players seem to get after long injuries. Players have either tended to not get injured or have recurring long-term injuries, which suggests something not happening right with the recovery phase.

Tho that could also be a function of the players we have been able to recruit. Fragile or injury-prone men pushed beyond their limits irrepairably breaking down.

If you look at the record of, for example, Jonny Williams at other clubs, he has not completed full seasons for them, either.

It appears rather telling on 09:54 - Jul 17 with 1650 viewsBlueBadger

It appears rather telling on 09:52 - Jul 17 by Guthrum

Tho that could also be a function of the players we have been able to recruit. Fragile or injury-prone men pushed beyond their limits irrepairably breaking down.

If you look at the record of, for example, Jonny Williams at other clubs, he has not completed full seasons for them, either.

There's definitely a element of that as well I suspect. Given our budget it's been 'limited-but-robust' or 'gifted-and-fragile- in the transfer market, but that doesn't fully account for players like Bishop and Hyam, our own players here before MM arrived consistently breaking down following 'rehab'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

It appears rather telling on 09:56 - Jul 17 with 1629 viewsRonFearonsHair

It appears rather telling on 09:42 - Jul 17 by textbackup

He’s probably shocked to think his Shrewsbury team would have dicked us twice in a season.

We would probably have ground a draw or two out of them, as we would have been set up to stop them playing.
It appears rather telling on 10:20 - Jul 17 with 1561 viewsGuthrum

It appears rather telling on 09:54 - Jul 17 by BlueBadger

There's definitely a element of that as well I suspect. Given our budget it's been 'limited-but-robust' or 'gifted-and-fragile- in the transfer market, but that doesn't fully account for players like Bishop and Hyam, our own players here before MM arrived consistently breaking down following 'rehab'.

Altho just because they came through our academy doesn't mean they can't fall into the second of those cateogories. A proportion of all gifted players will do, having technical ability but simply not the bodily toughness.

Login to get fewer ads

It appears rather telling on 10:25 - Jul 17 with 1530 viewsPositivelyPortman

It appears rather telling on 09:42 - Jul 17 by DanFord

Certainly the fitness point is a valid one and as you say that can come down to style, but I reckon Hurst must be utterly shocked at how few players we have that look comfortable on the ball making a pass. Webster has gone so we now have an entire defence of players that prefer to launch it. McGoldrick has gone. Leaves Dozzell, Bishop, Huws, Waghorn and only a couple more that even look capable of moving with the ball until a pass is available rather than giving it to someone else immediately.

Webster wasn’t averse to hoofing either. This may have been under instructions from MM I can’t say.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

It appears rather telling on 15:29 - Jul 17 with 1258 viewsTheBlueBarca

He's firing warning shots. If you saw the Braintree game you'd have seen just how bad we were. This wasn't even a League One side we were playing, we were playing semi-pros who should have won 3 or 4 nil.

Pre-season or not we're not far away from the first game and he's right to be lighting some fires up some backsides. Because this could be a nightmare if they are going to play like that in the league.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024