Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting article about British history at school 13:04 - Aug 28 with 772 viewsNthsuffolkblue

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/better-our-kids-learn-about-working-class-

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Interesting article about British history at school on 13:15 - Aug 28 with 739 viewsTJS

Has he actually properly looked at the national curriculum for history ?
When I did GCSE history 20 years ago there was very little about English Kings and Queens. We focussed mainly on the history of medicine, American West and WW2.
I did A-level history and the Peterloo massacre was also covered in detail.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2018 13:16]
Interesting article about British history at school on 13:22 - Aug 28 with 706 viewsSteve_M

Interesting article about British history at school on 13:15 - Aug 28 by TJS

When I did GCSE history 20 years ago there was very little about English Kings and Queens. We focussed mainly on the history of medicine, American West and WW2.

And besides, the most important point about studying history is not memorising a list of facts but in learning how to evaluate sources.

Shouting out that we should study Peterloo - which I did at both A Level and degree level - without being bothered about how it is studied is the leftish equivalent of the likes of Gove thinking history should be a list of battles won.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Interesting article about British history at school on 13:23 - Aug 28 with 701 viewsWD19

Interesting article about British history at school on 13:15 - Aug 28 by TJS

Snap. Never touched Kings & Queens at GCSE. All agricultural and industrial revolution stuff.
Interesting article about British history at school on 13:29 - Aug 28 with 694 viewsGuthrum

In reality, the history curriculum needs to be a blend. As a subject, history ought to be about demonstrating cause and effect throughout time, how current events are triggered by preceding situations, with those by others earlier still. I feel it is a great shame that virtually all history before 1900 is confined to primary school (and not then studied until A Level).

You can't get away from the fact that monarchs and aristocrats were, frequently, the main drivers of political and social events in this country and worldwide. Even late into the 20th century.

In this case, an individual, dramatic event is being picked out and magnified beyond its actual importance. Peterloo was not the beginning of the movement for wider suffrage in the UK. It was but one step in the long story of electoral reform, which began decades earlier and culminated in the Chartist movement of the 1830s and '40s. It did not result in change in the immediate aftermath. There were numerous episodes of much more sustained government oppression, such as the anti-union/political combination legislation under which large numbers were imprisoned or even executed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Interesting article about British history at school on 13:33 - Aug 28 with 684 viewsNo9

There are many things we were never taught at school, accurate history is one of them.
No doubt from the right Mike Leigh will be castigated
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024