Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The writing's on the wall... 00:35 - Sep 27 with 6278 viewsblaggers

We've dallied with mid-table obscurity for years now, with a glimpse of the play-offs every 5 years or so. I had hoped that Hurst would perform the same miracles that McCarthy did, albeit with a brighter brand of football. The players are worse, the football is worse and I think our time in this league is up. We've been treading water for the last three years, and MM had the ability to pull out players like Mings, Waghorn, Lawrence etc who were able to keep us competitive in a league where the big boys are spending silly money. To think that Hurst is on less than half MM's salary sums up how this club is run; why did Lampard choose Derby over us? Because they offered him a chance to go up with a competitive team. No doubt had we convinced Frank to join a few decent players may have been keen to join him here, as opposed to the supposed bright sparks from League 1. It's blatantly obvious that miracle seasons aside, the £6 million a year Evans puts into the club is simply not enough to have us challenging. We used to be a big club nationwide, now we aren't even a big club in the second tier. I hear all of you that say give the manager time, etc, and I really want to, but we can all see we are way off the pace in this league now, and that some of the signings, particularly up front have been dreadful. It was the right time to change the manager, but it's seeming that we picked a guy on the cheap (as usual) who is currently out of his depth. It'll be ok though, as Milne will tell us this weekend on the radio, as he's kept telling us for the last few seasons.

Poll: What happens next?

The writing's on the wall... on 01:31 - Sep 27 with 4729 viewsmadmouse1959

FAR too early to write Paul Hurst off...............As soon as the first team can capture the same spirit as the reserve team we will start flying. We need Kenlock, Woolfenden.Emmanuel, Dozzell, Cotter,Folami, Morris, Rowe etc back in the squad. Time is up on some last seasons regulars.

If you want to blame anyone on the demise of this great club then you can start with Sheepshanks !!! He came.....cashed in.......and off he went. The club has never recovered.

shampoo dave

The writing's on the wall... on 01:54 - Sep 27 with 4708 viewsjeera

The writing's on the wall... on 01:31 - Sep 27 by madmouse1959

FAR too early to write Paul Hurst off...............As soon as the first team can capture the same spirit as the reserve team we will start flying. We need Kenlock, Woolfenden.Emmanuel, Dozzell, Cotter,Folami, Morris, Rowe etc back in the squad. Time is up on some last seasons regulars.

If you want to blame anyone on the demise of this great club then you can start with Sheepshanks !!! He came.....cashed in.......and off he went. The club has never recovered.

Woolfenden, Emmanuel and Morris aren't even here so that won't be easy.

Hurst loaned them out and loaned other clubs' players in for development.

I'm sure he has his reasons why and knows exactly what he's doing, but your wish will have to wait a little while yet.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The writing's on the wall... on 06:29 - Sep 27 with 4598 viewsLimitlessBlue

"Time is up on some last seasons regulars" Care to mention who those regulars are, from what I see it is Chambers, Knudsen, Skuse who are coming out with any credibility. It is the new players who are blatantly League one standard, right where we are heading!

Poll: So 2 wins out of 2 are you now.....

The writing's on the wall... on 06:59 - Sep 27 with 4534 viewsBloomBlue

Don't forget Burley in the blame he was the one who took us from the top of the prem to relegation the following season. If Sheepshanks had grown a pair and sacked Burley at Christmas that season and replaced him with someone like fat Sam we would still be in the prem now.
The writing's on the wall... on 07:00 - Sep 27 with 4536 viewstabletopjoe

Amazing how there are not demonstrations against Evans every game. It’s been downhill ever since he arrived. He will depart with a trail of destruction behind him

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

The writing's on the wall... on 07:22 - Sep 27 with 4468 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The writing's on the wall... on 06:29 - Sep 27 by LimitlessBlue

"Time is up on some last seasons regulars" Care to mention who those regulars are, from what I see it is Chambers, Knudsen, Skuse who are coming out with any credibility. It is the new players who are blatantly League one standard, right where we are heading!

Yeah, but FAVOURITES

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The writing's on the wall... on 07:38 - Sep 27 with 4409 viewsGuthrum

The games last season when we had to play lots of youths were generally not successful, losing more than we won/drew. Reading's desperate fragility was the only thing which made Klug's tenure look any good on the results front.

How is throwing in a bunch of teenagers with a handful of League appearances between them going to help our current predicament?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The writing's on the wall... on 07:39 - Sep 27 with 4405 viewschristiand

The writing's on the wall... on 07:22 - Sep 27 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yeah, but FAVOURITES

Chambers has really impressed me. He's not the greatest footballer, but in terms of leadership on the pitch and commitment he is very much wearing his heart on his sleeve.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Login to get fewer ads

The writing's on the wall... on 07:44 - Sep 27 with 4388 viewsGuthrum

The writing's on the wall... on 07:00 - Sep 27 by tabletopjoe

Amazing how there are not demonstrations against Evans every game. It’s been downhill ever since he arrived. He will depart with a trail of destruction behind him

Because that would be rather churlish from people whose hobby has been subsidised by someone else to the tune of £6m (or much more, for the first half decade) a year.

The writing's on the wall... on 07:46 - Sep 27 with 4375 viewsWeekender

What you have pointed out there is the way that football in the second tier has changed in the last 10 years. We have been relatively constant but finances are be all and end all now. We used to be able to compete but now an above par season for us is 12th. Until either football changes (sky/tv dramatically reduce the sums they pay for rights or it gets more evenly distributed) or vastly increased investment is provided by an owner (see Derby) nothing will get better. Soon enough an above par season for us might be avoiding a relegation battle.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

The writing's on the wall... on 07:52 - Sep 27 with 4353 viewsHerbivore

I love how Lampard has become the new Pep Guardiola after a win on penalties against a shambolic Man United in the Carabao Cup.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The writing's on the wall... on 07:52 - Sep 27 with 4355 viewsdavblue

Evans' i believe is a well meaning owner, but he hasn't got anyone around him who has had experience in football. That's his biggest mistake for me. Im not saying we would automatically be a promotion contender, but despite what's been said from the club is there a longer term plan? Im not convinced, under Mick we ambled from transfer window to transfer window just signing stop gaps.

Also the game has totally changed and Evans is a poor man in relation to other clubs now and isn't will to risk his wealth, which i can understand he doesn't owe Ipswich anything.

All in all his reign has been poor, he's not made the right decisions at the right time and shifted managerial appointments from one extreme to the other style wise. So the money he did spend was wasted on replacing players to fit into the new style.

Swansea are the model for us to follow when they going up the leagues, consistent managerial appointments with the same philosophy.
The writing's on the wall... on 07:57 - Sep 27 with 4328 viewsronnyblue

I disagree with you that it is too soon to sack Hurst, it is too late!
I agree with your sentiment regards sheepshank , he was only interested in self promotion and advancement with the fa .
Hurst has been a complete failure due to the lack of knowledge regards the needs of the championship. His signing of the players he knew from the lower leagues ignored the difference between the leagues playing standards and class of player!
The writing's on the wall... on 08:28 - Sep 27 with 4256 viewsHerbivore

Yep, those three have been the only ones to play well with any consistency thus far this season.

The writing's on the wall... on 08:34 - Sep 27 with 4237 viewsHerbivore

The writing's on the wall... on 07:57 - Sep 27 by ronnyblue

I agree with your sentiment regards sheepshank , he was only interested in self promotion and advancement with the fa .
Hurst has been a complete failure due to the lack of knowledge regards the needs of the championship. His signing of the players he knew from the lower leagues ignored the difference between the leagues playing standards and class of player!

It's too late? When on earth would you have sacked him then? I seem to recall loads of fans wanted a lower league manager who would sign good players from the lower leagues, now we've done that everyone wants safe Championship experience.

The writing's on the wall... on 08:36 - Sep 27 with 4234 viewssparks

The writing's on the wall... on 07:52 - Sep 27 by davblue

Evans' i believe is a well meaning owner, but he hasn't got anyone around him who has had experience in football. That's his biggest mistake for me. Im not saying we would automatically be a promotion contender, but despite what's been said from the club is there a longer term plan? Im not convinced, under Mick we ambled from transfer window to transfer window just signing stop gaps.

Also the game has totally changed and Evans is a poor man in relation to other clubs now and isn't will to risk his wealth, which i can understand he doesn't owe Ipswich anything.

All in all his reign has been poor, he's not made the right decisions at the right time and shifted managerial appointments from one extreme to the other style wise. So the money he did spend was wasted on replacing players to fit into the new style.

Swansea are the model for us to follow when they going up the leagues, consistent managerial appointments with the same philosophy.

Evans has lots of experience in football. He's owned a medium sized club for many years now.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The writing's on the wall... on 08:45 - Sep 27 with 4204 viewsLankHenners

The writing's on the wall... on 08:28 - Sep 27 by Herbivore

Yep, those three have been the only ones to play well with any consistency thus far this season.

And, in reality, as much as I like them, it's a bit of a worry that they're standing out so much.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The writing's on the wall... on 08:55 - Sep 27 with 4190 viewsGuthrum

The writing's on the wall... on 08:45 - Sep 27 by LankHenners

And, in reality, as much as I like them, it's a bit of a worry that they're standing out so much.

As senior players, they should be. Everybody is so obsessed with young talent, they ignore the vital contribution of established, experienced members of the squad in anchoring the team.

The writing's on the wall... on 09:09 - Sep 27 with 4144 viewsLankHenners

The writing's on the wall... on 08:55 - Sep 27 by Guthrum

As senior players, they should be. Everybody is so obsessed with young talent, they ignore the vital contribution of established, experienced members of the squad in anchoring the team.

What I mean is, it was better when people were undervaluing them because more players were bringing something to the game. They've always been vital but we need more players to be stepping up every week, especially in the situation that we're in now.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The writing's on the wall... on 09:18 - Sep 27 with 4104 viewsGarv

Skuse and Chambers.

Knudsen is awful.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The writing's on the wall... on 09:26 - Sep 27 with 4059 viewsITFC_Forever

While £m - £8m is a lot of money (it is), whether ME likes it or not, as you say, it is not enough.... the game has moved on and got richer and we have been left behind.

The challenge for ME though is does he double (treble? quadruple?) his annual investment, or how does he find some other mug to put that amount of money in?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

The writing's on the wall... on 09:35 - Sep 27 with 4018 viewsfarkenhell

The writing's on the wall... on 08:55 - Sep 27 by Guthrum

You've made three sensible posts in this thread alone. Will you just cut it out!
The writing's on the wall... on 09:48 - Sep 27 with 3968 viewsSamWhiteUK

I mean i'd imagine wages were a factor for Lampard going to Derby as well
The writing's on the wall... on 09:51 - Sep 27 with 3959 viewspeterleeblue

The writing's on the wall... on 07:57 - Sep 27 by ronnyblue

Not a Hurst out post but I do find his approach baffling.

He knew that ME would support him provided he simply matched MM's achievements in the short term.
Whilst I am sure PH was not totally oblivious to the requirements at championship level it would have been better to understand it first hand and not made the wholesale personnel changes in one transfer window. IMHO he has now boxed himself into a corner that ultimately suggests that if we cant find a couple of wins in the next 4-6 weeks we will be all but down. At that point we may as well stick with PH, accepting this seasons fate, because the person we would need to replace him for league 1 football would indeed be.....................Paul Hurst.
The writing's on the wall... on 09:52 - Sep 27 with 3951 viewsHerbivore

The writing's on the wall... on 09:18 - Sep 27 by Garv

Skuse and Chambers.

Knudsen is awful.

Utter nonsense.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024