Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Minute silence 21:01 - Oct 27 with 6673 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

That was a shambles

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Minute silence on 21:09 - Oct 27 with 5479 viewsPJH

It was a shambles.
I know the announcer said what had supposed to happen after the playing of The Last Post but I suppose a lot of people were either not listening or still downstairs.
I assume that the applause at the end of The Last Post had not supposed to happen, not sure exactly what the announcer said but I would think it should have gone straight to a minutes silence.
It could and should have been very simple and very respectful.

People making a noise telling other people to be quiet did not help.
Minute silence on 21:12 - Oct 27 with 5439 viewsPlums

Minute silence on 21:09 - Oct 27 by PJH

It was a shambles.
I know the announcer said what had supposed to happen after the playing of The Last Post but I suppose a lot of people were either not listening or still downstairs.
I assume that the applause at the end of The Last Post had not supposed to happen, not sure exactly what the announcer said but I would think it should have gone straight to a minutes silence.

Why was there a minutes silence today?

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Minute silence on 21:14 - Oct 27 with 5415 viewsGuthrum

Minute silence on 21:09 - Oct 27 by PJH

It was a shambles.

I was caught out by it being today (understandable given Millwall have away games the next two weeks). Missed the announcement and thought the radio commentary had gone on the blink.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Minute silence on 21:15 - Oct 27 with 5395 viewsPJH

Minute silence on 21:12 - Oct 27 by Plums

Why was there a minutes silence today?

because Millwall had designated today as their remembrance day,not sure if they have another home game before remembrance sunday.
They had Military personnel and Royal British Legion standard bearers there.

It did not go as planned.
Minute silence on 21:17 - Oct 27 with 5371 viewsGuthrum

Minute silence on 21:15 - Oct 27 by PJH

because Millwall had designated today as their remembrance day,not sure if they have another home game before remembrance sunday.

They don't: At Brentford next week and Norwich the one after.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Minute silence on 21:20 - Oct 27 with 5345 viewslinhdi

Classy town fans eh? Home fans seemed to understand that the Last Post is followed by a silence, then the reveille. Announcer made it quite clear, at 2.50pm.

Utter embarrassment.
Minute silence on 21:23 - Oct 27 with 5309 viewsBrixtonBlue

Minute silence on 21:20 - Oct 27 by linhdi

Classy town fans eh? Home fans seemed to understand that the Last Post is followed by a silence, then the reveille. Announcer made it quite clear, at 2.50pm.

Utter embarrassment.

If you watch Ben Bloom's latest video it seems there was confusion - NOT deliberate disrespect by Town fans.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Minute silence on 21:29 - Oct 27 with 5251 viewsPJH

Minute silence on 21:23 - Oct 27 by BrixtonBlue

If you watch Ben Bloom's latest video it seems there was confusion - NOT deliberate disrespect by Town fans.

I think confusion plus the fact that a lot probably did not hear the announcement at all were the main factors but people telling other people to be silent during a minute's silence rather defeats the object.
Whatever the reasons it did turn out to be shambolic and on the face of it disrespectful.
Login to get fewer ads

Minute silence on 21:34 - Oct 27 with 5205 viewsITFC_Forever

Utter embarrassment.

It was very hard to hear from where we were. I only heard it as I was paying attention, I can see how people easily missed it.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 21:34]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Minute silence on 21:34 - Oct 27 with 5197 viewsPlums

Minute silence on 21:15 - Oct 27 by PJH

Thanks. I must confess I wouldn’t have been any the wiser if I’d been there. Perhaps I’m old fashioned but I wouldn’t expect a club to have a Remembrance Day that didn’t take place over the weekend prior to or at 11/11.
This must be a new thing?

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Minute silence on 21:37 - Oct 27 with 5166 viewsBrixtonBlue

Minute silence on 21:29 - Oct 27 by PJH

I think confusion plus the fact that a lot probably did not hear the announcement at all were the main factors but people telling other people to be silent during a minute's silence rather defeats the object.
Whatever the reasons it did turn out to be shambolic and on the face of it disrespectful.

From 2:24;

Sounds like a cock-up by Millwall. I don't think you can call that disrespectful by Town supporters.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Minute silence on 21:40 - Oct 27 with 5141 viewsBloomBlue

It was discussing by Town fans and ME should publicly apologise to Millwall. Makes you realise there are other clubs out there with thicker fans than Millwall
Minute silence on 21:44 - Oct 27 with 5088 viewsEastTownBlue

Minute silence on 21:34 - Oct 27 by Plums

Thanks. I must confess I wouldn’t have been any the wiser if I’d been there. Perhaps I’m old fashioned but I wouldn’t expect a club to have a Remembrance Day that didn’t take place over the weekend prior to or at 11/11.
This must be a new thing?

There was a time that unless the match was played on Remembrance Sunday itself then there was no minute's silence.

In recent years all clubs have decided to hold a tribute around the 11th November. Last season we didn't have our own until the 22nd.
Minute silence on 21:45 - Oct 27 with 5078 viewsITFC_Forever

Minute silence on 21:40 - Oct 27 by BloomBlue

It was discussing by Town fans and ME should publicly apologise to Millwall. Makes you realise there are other clubs out there with thicker fans than Millwall

It wasn’t deliberate.

Who would expect a Remembrance game in October?

No-one was expecting it and if you weren’t listening to a not particularly clear PA, it was easy to miss what was going to happen.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Minute silence on 21:47 - Oct 27 with 5040 viewsPJH

Minute silence on 21:37 - Oct 27 by BrixtonBlue

From 2:24;

Sounds like a cock-up by Millwall. I don't think you can call that disrespectful by Town supporters.

I did not word my post too well.
I said "on the face of it disrespectful" and on the face of it it was but I did give the likely reason as being confusion over what should have been happening.
I think few if any were being deliberately disrespectful it is just that it would not have appeared very good and was not very good.
Minute silence on 22:11 - Oct 27 with 4939 viewslinhdi

Minute silence on 21:47 - Oct 27 by PJH

I said "on the face of it disrespectful" and on the face of it it was but I did give the likely reason as being confusion over what should have been happening.
I think few if any were being deliberately disrespectful it is just that it would not have appeared very good and was not very good.

Even if the clear stadium announcements were not heard, applauding after 'The Last Post' is pretty ignorant. From my place in the middle of the Town fans, it was only us that did that.
Minute silence on 22:12 - Oct 27 with 4935 viewsBasuco

Minute silence on 21:45 - Oct 27 by ITFC_Forever

It wasn’t deliberate.

Who would expect a Remembrance game in October?

No-one was expecting it and if you weren’t listening to a not particularly clear PA, it was easy to miss what was going to happen.

Edit, I didn't hear them say what was going to happen, like many it seams, but it is worth noting that many Millwall fans applauded after the last post as we did, so no one really knew what was going on.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2018 22:17]
Minute silence on 22:21 - Oct 27 with 4869 viewsPhilTWTD

Minute silence on 22:11 - Oct 27 by linhdi

Even if the clear stadium announcements were not heard, applauding after 'The Last Post' is pretty ignorant. From my place in the middle of the Town fans, it was only us that did that.

Think it started in the Town fans and spread around the ground. Applause led to chanting as I assume people hadn't realised a minute's silence was going to follow, then Millwall fans reacted. Think the referee ought to have blown his whistle to signal the start of the minute's silence at that point.
Minute silence on 22:29 - Oct 27 with 4796 viewsBasuco

If the announcer had said what would happen immediately prior to it happening rather than 10 or 15 minutes before then that would have made everyone aware, it was that which caused the confusion.
Minute silence on 23:32 - Oct 27 with 4516 viewsCoastalblue

I didn't have the foggiest what was going on, at the end it felt like there were three minutes of silence interspersed with bugles between.

I might be thick maybe but I'm not disrespectful of something like that but I didn't have the foggiest what was happening.

Why not just have a minutes silence? That way everybody knows what's going on and what to expect.

The shouts at the start were from downstairs under the stand, that set the Millway plebs all screaming "Shut up you cants" and it all went downhill from there.

Complete shambles as stated above I'll agree.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Minute silence on 00:18 - Oct 28 with 4374 viewsTheMoralMajority

Minute silence on 22:11 - Oct 27 by linhdi

I was in the home end for this game, opposite the Town Fans. Applause after the Last Post happened all over the stadium.

We thought the minute's silence had ended twice when it was still going on. Was a shambles.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2018 0:37]

...but do signatures really work?

Minute silence on 00:23 - Oct 28 with 4356 viewsSuperfrans

Utter embarrassment.

It was really confusing. It was clearly a misunderstanding.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Minute silence on 00:28 - Oct 28 with 4346 viewsSuperfrans

Minute silence on 21:47 - Oct 27 by PJH

Nobody was being deliberately disrespectful. Why would anyone be disrespectful towards an Armistice Rembrance commemoration.

It was simply confusing. The announcement at the beginning wasn’t loud or clear enough, some didn’t expect a remembrance commemoration om October 27, there may have been other reasons. But nobody was being deliberately disrespectful.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Minute silence on 00:55 - Oct 28 with 4289 viewstractorshark

Agree with those who said it was confusing. We heard the announcement about the Last Post and then the minute’s silence but others obviously didn’t.
Once someone started clapping, the whole ground joined in. It was difficult to retrieve it from there.
I don’t think there was any intention of being disrespectful.
Minute silence on 05:04 - Oct 28 with 4149 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Minute silence on 21:29 - Oct 27 by PJH

Watched it from afar mass confusion! Clearly not deliberate. No whistle, weird applause, then a whistle. Even if it was drunk late commers it obviously wasn't some kind of statement. Wrong place for it to go wrong though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024